Witcher 3 First 15 minutes gameplay!

+

Attachments

• snapshot_03.46_[2015.04.09_15.47.jpg
    snapshot_03.46_[2015.04.09_15.47.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 77
casualties of war there are lots in the video i guess they are a decorative element for atmospheric proposes only

Rewatching the video I realized that the vigor regeneration stops while Geralt is rolling.That's good. Still, I'm not sure of roll-spamming isn't too effective like in Witcher 2. Really would have wished it used vigor or stamina, so you can't spam it the whole time. I remember that we didn't see Geralt doing a single roll in the fist gameplay videos, so many people assumed it was replaced by the dodge. And looking at this video I see it used the whole time. (though I know it don't have to use it)

Another point is the horse combat It looked balanced against the ghuls. Because of the fear level, the horse would have probably dropped Geralt anytime soon But it looked too strong against the bandits. Geralt onehittet the two bandits and the horse fear level meter didn't even appear.

Does anybody know what function the marked bar under the vigor has? One bar is used during the fight with the ghuls and refilled some seconds after it.

Last edited:
That is a good question. I was watching all the combat scenes in the video and i noticed that all 3 are greyish and at some points the last one becomes red but i can't really tell why.

Rewatching the video I realized that the vigor regeneration stops while Geralt is rolling.That's good. Still, I'm not sure of roll-spamming isn't too effective like in Witcher 2. Really would have wished it used vigor or stamina, so you can't spam it the whole time. I remember that we didn't see Geralt doing a single roll in the fist gameplay videos, so many people assumed it was replaced by the dodge. And looking at this video I see it used the whole time. (though I know it don't have to use it)

Another point is the horse combat It looked balanced against the ghuls. Because of the fear level, the horse would have probably dropped Geralt anytime soon But it looked too strong against the bandits. Geralt onehittet the two bandits and the horse fear level meter didn't even appear.

Does anybody know what function the marked bar under the vigor has? One bar is used during the fight with the ghuls and refilled some seconds after it.
About rolling - seems it's up to the player's style. Honestly, after seeing how it served the guy from IGN, I'm not bothered about it being more enticing. It seemed to tear him out of combat while a simple sideways dash could have helped him keep slashing away. I think he intuitively felt better distancing himself from the enemies to be safer. I'm very glad there are several viable forms of defense now. Rolling, jumping, parrying, they all seem good and I can't say that one seems much better than the other right now.

About the horse - maybe the fear bar just fills faster with monsters? Dunno.

About those grey box things you're asking about - http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-GDC-and-PAX?p=1557025&viewfull=1#post1557025

While we're discussing combat, you guys noticed that there's occasionally a red flash beneath the enemies' health bars? Maybe it's a counter sign?

Last edited:
About rolling - seems it's up to the player's style. Honestly, after seeing how it served the guy from IGN, I'm not bothered about it being more enticing. It seemed to tear him out of combat while a simple sideways dash could have helped him keep slashing away. I think he intuitively felt better distancing himself from the enemies to be safer. I'm very glad there are several viable forms of defense now. Rolling, jumping, parrying, they all seem good and I can't say that one seems much better than the other right now.

About those grey box things you're asking about - http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-GDC-and-PAX?p=1557025&viewfull=1#post1557025

While we're discussing combat, you guys noticed that there's occasionally a red flash beneath the enemies' health bars? Maybe it's a counter sign?

Thanks for the link regarding this adrenalin stuff ... sound really cool to me

While we're discussing combat, you guys noticed that there's occasionally a red flash beneath the enemies? Maybe it's a counter sign?

Right that is great, i didn't remember that one.

I like it that there is dodge as well, more options in combat the better. It seems like it's not something that you just have to use in combat to survive so i am good with it.

As for the horse, i really don't know how fear works on normal people as well. Fighting on a horse is indeed more powerful on both bandits and ghouls, almost got the ghoul down as well with one hit. That doesn't bother me really, it's great to have options like that :)

That flashing health bar seems like a visual sign for parry/counter it seems indeed.

Last thing...i just love it at 7:36 where the woman passing by has the hiccups. Just amazing detail.

Last edited:
Rewatching the video I realized that the vigor regeneration stops while Geralt is rolling.That's good. Still, I'm not sure of roll-spamming isn't too effective like in Witcher 2. Really would have wished it used vigor or stamina, so you can't spam it the whole time. I remember that we didn't see Geralt doing a single roll in the fist gameplay videos, so many people assumed it was replaced by the dodge. And looking at this video I see it used the whole time. (though I know it don't have to use

The roll doesnt seem effective to me. During the fight with the ghouls it looks like Geralt is totally vulnerable while rolling and there may be some recovery time looking at the way he died.

Thanks for the link, So that means the default is Geralt having no adrenalin at the beginning of the fight (bar is grey) Once he hits enough enemies the bar is filled. (filled red in the video) That sounds interesting.

And yes, the red flash is very likely a sign that Geralt can counter the attack.

Do we know the purpose of the yellow bar under the enemies health bar?

Last edited:
Another small change I don't like.

This is how the axii sign stun looked in the 35 min demo and now in the the newest video. In the 35min demo the stunned person just changed it's stance. It looked like he was drunk. We could clearly see if someone is stunned and it looked natural.
Now there is this big ugly white glow around the stunned person's head. It it really necessary to make it that clear that we stunned someone?

This is how the axii sign stun looked in the 35 min demo and now in the the newest video. In the 35min demo the stunned person just changed it's stance. It looked like he was drunk. We could clearly see if someone is stunned and it looked natural.
Now there is this big ugly white glow around the stunned person's head. It it really necessary to make it that clear that we stunned someone?
True, same goes for Yrden which was more subtle in that demo.

Well the stance is pretty much the same, maybe he doesn't move as much as before but the older gameplay was obviously a work in progress.

Also in the 35 minute gameplay, there were glowing sparkles on the enemies head when stunned, now they have a glow all around it. Probably changed for better visual feedback on the players i suppose.

I remember before Dark Mode came out, how everyone loved the Dark Mode effect. Once we played it, it got very annoying very quickly for a lot of people.

I feel the same way in reverse for some of these effects, especially that Axii glow. I agree that looking it as an observer in a video, or in a screenshot, it looks ugly, but I have a suspicion that when we're playing and have to make fast targeting decisions, a strong visual identifier will come in very useful.

Top Bottom