Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
most of the settings on the ini files are locked, you can only increase grass density, foliage view distance, shadow quality, shadow view distance, thats it

view/lod distance still locked and butchered by that blue fog
can't we unlock it somehow ? i mean some modders managed to do some great things, like restauring a certain lost file for the weather system.(http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/29/?)
could you explain more, using screenshots/pictures if possible ?

thanks in advance ^^

Anyone who has gotten to Skellige, are there still clouds swirling around mountains like this? http://i.imgur.com/W3rKP9k.png

I am starting to think that it isn't a weather condition..its a volumetric effect that has been cut. Same thing with the bombs, the explosions are not as good.

Seems that things like certain FX and particles have been cut down a lot. Still think that the pure graphical fidelity is the same.

can't we unlock it somehow ? i mean some modders managed to do some great things, like restauring a certain lost file for the weather system.(http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/29/?)
could you explain more, using screenshots/pictures if possible ?

thanks in advance ^^

no, unless CDPR unlock them, wich they said they are going to do at some point, and about that weather mod, unless he figured out the files encryption he probably just swapped some files, but i have yet to figure out exactly how he did that ( maybe hex editing ? ), i asked him on his page mod, but my post got removed... and he dosnt respond to anyone asking how he did that

i will start diving more seriously into files once i finish the game

no, unless CDPR unlock them, wich they said they are going to do at some point, and about that weather mod, unless he figured out the files encryption he probably just swapped some files, but i have yet to figure out exactly how he did that ( maybe hex editing ? ), i asked him on his page mod, but my post got removed... and he dosnt respond to anyone asking how he did that

i will start diving more seriously into files once i finish the game

thank you for the detailled response. very interresting indeed. and i look foward to see what you will find. :)

mad max isn't released yet, and it looks like garbage. far worse than witcher 3 on low setting:

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2757512/mad-max-wasteland-1_1920.1373894087.jpg

that looks like a fallout 3 mod.

May be you do not like it. But when i watch to trailer it looks better than W3 for me. Especially lighting. But again it is my opininon. And i say again. May be W3 a lot better in technical side. Because in Mad Max there are not many things on screen to render. And it gives them more room for developing that game. So from this side W3 is lot better than Mad Max. They can render so many complex shaders and meshes and still achive that kind of visuals.

Landscapes are downgraded there is no denying that. How about character models, does anyone have any complain regarding character models ? I think the character models in TW3 are the best I've ever seen, compared to even DA:I / GTA5. The skin texture and hair are amazing. My only complain is they reuse the same models quite often for the NPCs.

What do you guys think about the character models in TW3, it's part of the graphics right ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUjaF1NXT0Y
mad max doesnt look impressive to me in any way
It a completely different setting, but one thing is clear, the lighting is far better. But then just about any AAA game from a decent studio that is not doing cross gen has better lighting then witcher 3 it seems. I like Witcher 3 but I am just being honest. Lighting is as flat as pancake in Witcher 3.

---------- Updated at 09:37 AM ----------

Landscapes are downgraded there is no denying that. How about character models, does anyone have any complain regarding character models ? I think the character models in TW3 are the best I've ever seen, compared to even DA:I / GTA5. The skin texture and hair are amazing. My only complain is they reuse the same models quite often for the NPCs.

What do you guys think about the character models in TW3, it's part of the graphics right ?

Character models is one of the best, no doubt. But you cannot compare to GTA5 & DA:I as they are cross gen game, & share game models with their 360/PS3 counterpart.

We should be comparing W3 character models to games like AC:Unity, Order 1886, Ryse etc.

It a completely different setting, but one thing is clear, the lighting is far better. But then just about any AAA game from a decent studio that is not doing cross gen has better lighting then witcher 3 it seems. I like Witcher 3 but I am just being honest. Lighting is as flat as pancake in Witcher 3.

---------- Updated at 09:37 AM ----------

Character models is one of the best, no doubt. But you cannot compare to GTA5 & DA:I as they are cross gen game, & share game models with their 360/PS3 counterpart.

We should be comparing W3 character models to games like AC:Unity, Order 1886, Ryse etc.
yeah the color in the witcher 3 are often too damn saturated,
its like someone added a sweetfx file to the game with maximum vibrance

---------- Updated at 09:41 AM ----------

however the sand is a bit to bleak in the mad max gameplay video

---------- Updated at 09:43 AM ----------

this is how sand should look like in my opinion

yeah the color in the witcher 3 are often too damn saturated,
its like someone added a sweetfx file to the game with maximum vibrance

---------- Updated at 09:41 AM ----------

however the sand is a bit to bleak in the mad max gameplay video

---------- Updated at 09:43 AM ----------

this is how sand should look like in my opinion

The Colours are the last thing people should be worrying about since it can be 'fixed' to your preference for the most part.

Its the other parts of the game , Draw distance , Lighting Soft Particles , Facial Animation etc , thats what grinds my gears.

The Colours are the last thing people should be worrying about since it can be 'fixed' to your preference for the most part.

Its the other parts of the game , Draw distance , Lighting Soft Particles , Facial Animation etc , thats what grinds my gears.
I have no problem with soft particles, draw distance and facial animation, they are good enough for me. Color can not be simply fixed by sweetfx or other tools, since sweetfx is nothing more than just a colercorrection filter with a few other minor things. For example I cant change the color of a specific weather lightning without changing the colors of the entire game

Anyone who has gotten to Skellige, are there still clouds swirling around mountains like this? http://i.imgur.com/W3rKP9k.png

I am starting to think that it isn't a weather condition..its a volumetric effect that has been cut. Same thing with the bombs, the explosions are not as good.

Seems that things like certain FX and particles have been cut down a lot. Still think that the pure graphical fidelity is the same.

See the foliage. Notice there are proper shadings on the trees & grass, dark & bright areas that react to the light source. Then look at the flat foliages in the final product.Notice that there is next to no light & dark area on them that react to the lightsource. The only thing they have are casted shadow, & thats about it.

Notice also the bright rim light at Gerald left shouderpad & hair in the picture you posted, then see the basic & guadual shading on Gerald clothing & hair in the final game, on a supposely bright day.

Have no doubt about it, lighting has been downgarde by a level or 2.

Trailer still

Final Product

Last edited:
the small draw distance is really annoying watching textures pooping ( typo , well they do poop somehow lol ) next to you is crazy, especially when you know you could push it way further without much performance hit

the small draw distance is really annoying watching textures pooping ( typo , well they do poop somehow lol ) next to you is crazy, especially when you know you could push it way further without much performance hit
i noticed the same too. if only we could get rid of that annoying blue fog x_x.
let's just hope they'll unlock more stuff in the next patch ? should i ask one of the devs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom