Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it interesting that Bethesda made no bones about Fallout 4's graphics. They showed the real game, as it will be at launch. Marcin Iwinski actually praised this approach and said they'd do something similar with Cyberpunk:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/18/cd-projekt-talks-cyberpunk-2077

I get the feeling they learned from this debacle, because everyone now will look at the initial Cyberpunk materials with skepticism. It's unavoidable. Honesty, the only reason CDPR scraped by in this situation was the fact they've showed so much good will in other ways. If it weren't for that, they'd have been grilled worse than Ubisoft was.

I still cant get over the way they handled the PR with this no matter how hard i try im still pissed off. How can a company work so hard to foster a reputation of being consumer friendly and then tarnish it so readily and for what? from elder blood onwards the marketing machine was in complete denial until after release and then a shrug of the shoulders "we didn't think it was problem". God forbid you admit the game isn't perfect before release eh? might harm preorders!, least with companies like EA they would say nothing, not completely lie about it fanning the flames.

I completely agree. If you're expecting to see these images in the game you're in for a disappointment of truly titanic proportions. At this point it's a whole other game altogether and not just in terms of graphics. Man I wish I found out about Witcher 3 coming out after it was released - this way I wouldn't have any regrets at all. Ignorance is bliss.

I found it interesting that Bethesda made no bones about Fallout 4's graphics. They showed the real game, as it will be at launch. Marcin Iwinski actually praised this approach and said they'd do something similar with Cyberpunk:

I get the feeling they learned from this debacle, because everyone now will look at the initial Cyberpunk materials with skepticism. It's unavoidable. Honesty, the only reason CDPR scraped by in this situation was the fact they've showed so much good will in other ways. If it weren't for that, they'd have been grilled worse than Ubisoft was.

I find it hard to describe my disappointment with these words. I couldn't care less about Cyberpunk (no matter how good of a game it might come to be) and the fact that they learned their lesson AFTER ruining (strictly IMHO) what could've been their best game to date saddens me even more.

I guess in my head I've painted an unattainable image of the game judging by what the devs were promising and by these screenshots. I know it's very naive of a lot of us buying what they were promising to do but it was their reputation that made it much easier to believe that the game shwon on these screenshots is possible at all.

P.S. Anyone get caught in a storm after traveling by boat from an island to island on Skellige and drown while doing so? Never had that happen to me yet it was another promise that I guess has failed to materialise.

Attachments

• 416577.jpg
    416577.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 50
  • fantasy-forest-geralt-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-1920x1080.jpg
    fantasy-forest-geralt-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-1920x1080.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 44
  • geralt-of-rivia-witcher-3-wild-hunt-game-image-1920x1080.jpg
    geralt-of-rivia-witcher-3-wild-hunt-game-image-1920x1080.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 46
  • the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-game-screenshot-fighting-monster-1920x1080.jpg
    the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-game-screenshot-fighting-monster-1920x1080.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 45
  • the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-geralt-video-game-picture-1920x1080.jpg
    the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-geralt-video-game-picture-1920x1080.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Yeah. Can you believe they tried to claim it was youtube video compression? Yeah that's going to reduce geometry and lighting detail because compression. I can only laugh because otherwise its lies or strong insult expecting people to fall for that.

Bah who cares :) Also getting stuck into playing. Id like to extend my thanks to the forums for kicking up sweetfx and providing the cutscene lighting mod. Now to wait for redkit.

Last edited:

True. The only reason the forums are a bit quiet right now is due to the good content in witcher 3. If it had been mediocre like watchdogs or ac unity ( which btw they didnt downgrade , but gave a bugfest) it would have been torn apart

I completely agree. If you're expecting to see these images in the game you're in for a disappointment of truly titanic proportions. At this point it's a whole other game altogether and not just in terms of graphics. Man I wish I found out about Witcher 3 coming out after it was released - this way I wouldn't have any regrets at all. Ignorance is bliss.

Fortunately. Those images are from the game in DX9, and suck as hell. At least, try with some more recent screenshots from SOD trailer.

What pissed me off is not the downgrade, but the fact that the PC version has really nothing more than the console version. Same shitty texture quality. Same cheap lightining. A bit more trees? And hairworks, which sucks on Geralt.

It will not change anything for me. Why? Because I did not play any game during 1 year before Witcher 3 because there was no game for my taste. Only Witcher 3. And every day every hour I watched only Witcher 3 trailers. First VGX and then SOD trailer and repeated it again and again. And after final release I am still waiting for Witcher 3 game. And I believe in 1 day CDProject will release that awesome game. Graphics is not only thing that changed for me. But the atmosphere and something else too what was in witcher 1. And I do not understand what is that something else. But I feel it. And I want to play that Witcher 3 which they announced. I do not want to play anything else. :(

what could've been their best game to date
That's my opinion too. But there is still plenty of time for things to change for the better. We only have to stay alive and wait :D

And hairworks which sucks on Geralt.
Talking about hairworks, you probably need to see this and everyone else ofc. (if you don't have already seen it)
This is the power of 4 Titan X working alongside DX12.
[video=youtube;rpDdOIZy-4k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpDdOIZy-4k[/video]

63 million textures, 6 to 12 times more than DX11 can achieve. 8kx8k textures and every piece of hair is a different(!!!) polygon in the renderer that pass after 50(!!!) shaders to create this level of clarity.. !!!

I ran the default lighting.bat an took a screenshot with afterburner to make a comparison:

View attachment 17385

Then I installed cutscene lighting.bat and took another screenshot:

View attachment 17386

Tried it with changeweather(WT_Clear) but no use... :(

This is not my first time with mods and the instruction are very simple, so I don't know what could have gone wrong...

EDIT: SweetFx also refuse to work, lol this game is trolling me.

Attachments

• Desktop_2015_06_20_13_24_56_009.jpg
    Desktop_2015_06_20_13_24_56_009.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Desktop_2015_06_20_13_28_05_097.jpg
    Desktop_2015_06_20_13_28_05_097.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Oh god... I wish The Witcher 3 hairworks works like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkg5UVTsKCE

Amazingly that's running on a PS4, not a PC, nope, PS4.

I worked a little bit on Horizon Zero Dawn as an intern as Guerilla Games and some of Guerrilla's devs are also teachers at my school. It's really amazing what Guerrilla manages to pull of with the Unreal 4 engine and it was a great privilege to see how they do that.

That said, a lot of stuff you see in that demo is neat little tricks and "cheats" to make the game look more impressive than it really is. On a technical level, Horizon isn't all that different from The Witcher 3. For example the hair on the female protagonist in Horizon Zero Dawn is created and rendered in the same way as Geralt's hair is in TW3 without Hairworks (e.g. Geralt's hair on consoles or on PCs with Hairworks turned off).

Amazingly that's running on a PS4, not a PC, nope, PS4.

I worked a little bit on Horizon Zero Dawn as an intern as Guerilla Games and some of Guerrilla's devs are also teachers at my school. It's really amazing what Guerrilla manages to pull of with the Unreal 4 engine and it was a great privilege to see how they do that.

That said, a lot of stuff you see in that demo is neat little tricks and "cheats" to make the game look more impressive than it really is. On a technical level, Horizon isn't all that different from The Witcher 3. For example the hair on the female protagonist in Horizon Zero Dawn is created and rendered in the same way as Geralt's hair is in TW3 without Hairworks (e.g. Geralt's hair on consoles or on PCs with Hairworks turned off).

That demo is all scripted. Another thing is normal gameplay.

Also the Doom demo was heavily scripted but at least it could resemble actual gameplay. That demo is something that would never happen in the game. I hate when devs do these things. Ok, it is good to see, but they know perfectly that the gameplay could never reproduce a dynamic like that but yet they show it as if that scenario should be something that can really happen while playing.

Last edited:
That demo is all scripted. Another thing is normal gameplay.

Define "scripted".

If by scripted you mean that the entire thing is just one big cinematic and nothing of it is real/normal gameplay, then no.

If by scripted you mean: predetermined events will happen at a certain time in that demo so we get to see the best the game has to offer: then yes. The only thing that's scripted in that demo is when and where the enemies spawn and some of their behavior (such as the cat-like machine approaching the player at the beginning and the big dinosaur-like machine entering the scene). What you see in that demo is very much reminiscent of what normal gameplay will look like in the final product.

---------- Updated at 09:56 PM ----------

That's actually a very good comparison. E3 demos and trailers with "in-game footage" indeed do the same kind of thing as McDonalds does with their burgers for advertising. the burger in the advert and the burger you get when you order one aren't inherently different, they're just presented differently. In a demo you want to show the best things you have to offer and show it in the best way. Same thing McDonalds does with their advertisement photos.

In TW3's case: CDPR probably spend many hours on crafting their E3 demos for TW3 to show the best the can do and the best that TW3 has to offer. Then when they made the rest of the game they probably realized that what they offered in the demos could not be realized in the full game within their time and budget constraints, hence we got a "downgraded" version of the game.

I'm not saying that I agree with what CDPR did, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
What you see in that demo is very much reminiscent of what normal gameplay will look like in the final product.

Yes, sure, how not. The fight with that dinosaur will behave "exactly" like that, how not. You sure have learned the way of the dev pretty well I see. You are already lying pretty fine.

You know perfectly that there's no way in hell that a scene like that can happen in real gameplay. Certainly the graphics, the fighting etc. is real gameplay, but the dynamics of that fight (that's the only beautiful thing about that demo, the rest is pretty standard in the sense that it is something that has been seen many other times) will never happen. All that happens in that fight is scripted form the start to the end, it is like a cinematic trailer: the only difference is that instead of a CGI movie is done using the ingame engine.

Practically all the playstation demo in E3 are scripted demos, from Uncharted, to Last Guardian and this one. There's neither a single one of that demo that contains real gameplay footage dynamics (i.e. things that can happen in that way while playing).

Yes, sure, how not. The fight with that dinosaur will behave "exactly" like that, how not. You sure have learned the way of the dev pretty well I see. You are already lying pretty fine.

You know perfectly that there's no way in hell that a scene like that can happen in real gameplay. Certainly the graphics, the fighting etc. is real gameplay, but the dynamics of that fight (that's the only beautiful thing about that demo, the rest is pretty standard in the sense that it is something that has been seen many other times) will never happen. All that happens in that fight is scripted form the start to the end, it is like a cinematic trailer: the only difference is that instead of a CGI movie is done using the ingame engine.

Practically all the playstation demo in E3 are scripted demos, from Uncharted, to Last Guardian and this one. There's neither a single one of that demo that contains real gameplay footage dynamics (i.e. things that can happen in that way while playing).

I'm not lying. But believe what you want. You'll see when the game is released, if you decide to pick it up or watch someone else's playthrough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom