Witcher Franchise Speculation

+

Witcher Franchise Speculation

• I would like Witcher 4 with Geralt in a story after the Witcher 3 events. Warning! Unlikely!

Votes: 94 23.9%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with Ciri and a story that takes place after Witcher 3 events.

Votes: 107 27.2%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a new PREDEFINED protagonist (not Geralt or Ciri).

Votes: 92 23.4%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a PLAYER CREATED CHARACTER (skyrim, dragon age).

Votes: 71 18.1%
  • I would like a Witcher Prequel Series with a much younger Geralt.

Votes: 102 26.0%
  • I would like Witcher 1 remade and expanded upon in the new engine (and maybe W2 as well).

Votes: 103 26.2%
  • The new game(s) should build on the existing universe. Kingdoms and characters are largely the same.

Votes: 77 19.6%
  • The new game(s) should be a "a fresh start". New exciting lands, characters, companions, lore etc.

Votes: 45 11.5%
  • I would like more than 2 expansions for W3, maybe 4-5 to expand on Ciri, Triss, Saskia, Iorveth etc.

Votes: 179 45.5%
  • Once Witcher 3 is done I don't want more Witcher games. CDPR should do other things.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
Geralt story is done. Let him finally find some peace. He's old. Ciri might be a new protagonist but since there are few different endings in W3 some people might be upset that they choices have been ignored. I think that best possible option for W4 would be a oportunity to create a new character from scratch with maybe Gearal as a Legend/ teacher figure. People like to choose race/proffesion etc. in RGP so that would be a good move. Also it would stop game vs books discussions 'cause main character would be someone completely new. HoweverI think that we can't count for W4 until 2019 or something like that

Last edited:
Yesss I would love to be able to create my own character!
I'm thinking Skyrim-ish, where you choose race, gender etc, and your actions/dialogue choices determine the rest of your story. That would be amazing.
In Skyrim you get many choices to tell about your past (family etc) and you choose for yourself what your background is. Plus any sexuality is possible. I do love how you get to say Ciri prefer's women, I just think that's a great little gimmick to make players of all sexualities feel even closer and relatable to the characters.

Eskel I wouldn't mind in a game, but Lambert is one of my least favorite characters, so that'll be a no from here. Although I would propably play any new Witcher game, whoever it had as a protagonist...

They should do like a mini-spinoff with Roach where you had to race the wild horses and try not to lose your shit when Geralt pops Quen right beside you.

There seem to be references to a future Witcher game in some of the quest notes, I think from old quest developer documents.

Do you mean this one ?
It is from 26th August 2013 (based on the last modification date of the file), but it does not really tell much. If Radovid is dead in ending 1b (which is the Dijkstra ending in the final version of the game, by the way), then why is he alive again in W4 ? That is, assuming that "W4" even means Witcher 4.

Edit: for comparison, these are the endings in the current version (finalboards.7z):
fb_1a.usm: Novigrad - Radovid dead, Dijkstra dead
fb_1b.usm: Novigrad - Radovid dead, Dijkstra alive
fb_1c.usm: Novigrad - Radovid alive
fb_2a.usm: Skellige - queen Cerys
fb_2b.usm: Skellige - king Hjalmar
fb_2c.usm: Skellige - king Svanrige
fb_3a.usm: NML - North won (Radovid)
fb_3b.usm: NML - Nilfgaard won (Temeria vassal state)
fb_3c.usm: NML - North won (Dijkstra)
fb_4a.usm: Nilfgaard lost - Emhyr assassinated
fb_4b.usm: Nilfgaard won
fb_5a.usm: Geralt - with Yennefer
fb_5b.usm: Geralt - with Triss
fb_5c.usm: Geralt - lonely
fb_6a.usm: Ciri - witcher
fb_6b.usm: Ciri - empress
fb_6c.usm: Ciri - dead/fate unknown

Attachments

• w3fbsb13.png
    w3fbsb13.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Do you mean this one ?
It is from 26th August 2013 (based on the last modification date of the file), but it does not really tell much. If Radovid is dead in ending 1b (which is the Dijkstra ending in the final version of the game, by the way), then why is he alive again in W4 ? That is, assuming that "W4" even means Witcher 4.

I can explain that. I was wondering about that myself, until I finally realised what it meant. In those documents RED's often mix Polish and English together in casual manner. Having that in mind, looking at the choices, it becomes clear that the W4 stands for "Wielka Czwórka" (Big Four). You may wonder: Big Four? But Whoreson is out of the question at this point of the story. Yeah, but there is a mention in the documents indicating that Big Four was originally going to be a Big Five (I assume that the fifth member was going to be Faoiltiarna), so then it would actually fit.

That makes sense, in the released version the endings are:

1a: Radovid dead, Dijkstra dead
1b: Radovid dead, Dijkstra alive
1c: Radovid alive

I already suspected the "W4" might somehow be related to that, rather than being a reference to Witcher 4.

This has already been discussed. CDPR will continue with TW3 until 2017(don't if that means till the end of 2017). Then they will focus on CP2077. Anything about TW4 is pure speculation. Unless you hear about it from CDPR, don't belive anything on the web.

Uh, CD Projekt CEO Adam Kicinski pretty much confirmed that they are going to continue on with the franchise. It's hardly "pure speculation" at this point.

"It's too early to talk about it, but it's not like we're forgetting about this brand," he said on Polish TV station TVN24 BiS, as translated by Gamepressure. "It wouldn't be fair towards the fans. We work within this universe for over a dozen years now and I don't think it's going to be the end of it."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/it-would-be-unfair-to-fans-to-not-make-witcher-4-d/1100-6432842/

Uh, CD Projekt CEO Adam Kicinski pretty much confirmed that they are going to continue on with the franchise. It's hardly "pure speculation" at this point.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/it-would-be-unfair-to-fans-to-not-make-witcher-4-d/1100-6432842/

Interesting. Personally I feel they should put The Witcher to bed. I don't want it to lose meaning and relevance because the studio feels they need to keep pumping out Witcher games to remain current. CDPR are far better than than with plenty of talent, they can stand on their own merits.

Interesting. Personally I feel they should put The Witcher to bed. I don't want it to lose meaning and relevance because the studio feels they need to keep pumping out Witcher games to remain current. CDPR are far better than than with plenty of talent, they can stand on their own merits.
Well they are "putting it to bed". Cyberpunk 2077 is up next, and going off their Conference forecasts, they're working on another AAA project that's slated for 2021. It's either W4 or a new IP. If W4 it'll be 6 years before we get it, plenty of time. If it isn't Witcher 4, it's going to be over 6 years until we gt another Witcher game.

Well they are "putting it to bed". Cyberpunk 2077 is up next, and going off their Conference forecasts, they're working on another AAA project that's slated for 2021. It's either W4 or a new IP. If W4 it'll be 6 years before we get it, plenty of time. If it isn't Witcher 4, it's going to be over 6 years until we gt another Witcher game.

If it's W4 then they are not putting it to bed.

If it's W4 then they are not putting it to bed.
If it's not coming out for 6 years they most certainly are. You want them to kill it permanently. Putting it to bed has always meant "put aside for now, return to it later" for me.

If it's not coming out for 6 years they most certainly are. You want them to kill it permanently. Putting it to bed has always meant "put aside for now, return to it later" for me.

I don't want them to kill it, which is precisely the reason I think it should end. Doing more and more, may be what kills it. It has happened with so many other series' before. And Put to bed has another meaning for me. Clearly it means different things to different people. I care a great deal about this series, so it's hard to say CDPR should move on but I think it is the best thing to do.

For me a game would be interesting that plays far in the past, when the witcher schools are all up and running. Would be nice if you could be an ongoing witcher and choose the school. Also there is only less information about that time. So there would be much space for a story without breaking the canon.

For me a game would be interesting that plays far in the past, when the witcher schools are all up and running. Would be nice if you could be an ongoing witcher and choose the school. Also there is only less information about that time. So there would be much space for a story without breaking the canon.

Like a dragon age origins meets Witcher game?

Could go so good but so bad.

Like a dragon age origins meets Witcher game?

Yeah that's a pretty good description.

Could go so good but so bad.

Like everything else could go wrong. Even an approved and well known concept could go wrong (like all the EA cash cows and their clones).
But at least CDPR is good in this genre. Ok they had a predefined hero in their game. But in CP77 they can prove, if they also are good in creating games with a character that depends much more on player preferences.

The only question is how to design camera and controls. I think the System from DA:O won't work for a Witcher game.

My first post, here goes my thoughts.

I would love to play as a young Vesemir on the Path, as I really like Vesemir or make your own Witcher character from your school of choice (maybe not Wolf School).

I feel like Ciri would be too overpowered for being the main protagonist.

• I would like Witcher 4 with Geralt in a story after the Witcher 3 events. Warning! Unlikely!
    Now, that just isn't going to happen. And, anyway, his story is over. Only so much awesomeness can happen in one life-time.

24.14%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with Ciri and a story that takes place after Witcher 3 events.
    Although playing as Cirilla would be awesome, there are two things that stand in the way. The first one, which is minor, is that part of the fun of a new trilogy/series is discovering new characters. Considering how we know ten times as much about her personality as Geralt's (Which might not be saying much.), there really wouldn't be a lot of canon exploration. The second, and much more important, you'd be starting off the game as the most powerful being in the known Witcher universe, with no character progression (Better abilities, etc..).

26.02%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a new PREDEFINED protagonist (not Geralt or Ciri).
    This is the ideal choice, in my opinion, but also the hardest, for C.D.P.R.. Not only does the new guy have to live up to the high bar that Geralt set, but he also has to be interesting for most gamer's. But, how can you make him interesting, when he's a Witcher, who are a bunch of dudes with no emotion. Making him as emotionless as Geralt will make people feel like he's a blatant rip-off. Making him even more emotionless could be interesting, but it could also make the game as stale as old bread.

23.20%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a PLAYER CREATED CHARACTER (skyrim, dragon age).
    This is the most likely, and will probably be the worst, in regards to the four out-comes listed above. Custom characters generally have the most boring personalities ever. I haven't played enough games like this to be able to say much more than that, though.

17.55%
  • I would like a Witcher Prequel Series with a much younger Geralt.
    This could be interesting, but it probably won't be. This sounds like EPIC DLC, but a pretty drab game. Maybe the short stories could be DLC for TW4, or the books could be expansions, or something. But, as the base game, who wants to play it, when you know what's going to happen, from the first second to the last?

24.45%
  • I would like Witcher 1 remade and expanded upon in the new engine (and maybe W2 as well).
    This would be a terrific idea, if it wasn't for the fact that TW2 has very similar graphics to TW3, TW1 has decent graphics, and TW2 is now playable on the Xbox One. Also, every moment spent doing that, would delays in the development of CP77 and TW4. I'd either like a remake done by a third party (Modders, another company.), in the near feature (Worst option.); a remake done by a third party (Another company.) right before TW4 comes out, or for the next generation of consoles; or a remake done by C.D.P.R. when the next generation of consoles comes out (For all three/four Witcher games.), which I believe to be the best option.

26.33%
  • The new game(s) should build on the existing universe. Kingdoms and characters are largely the same.
    I don't think I'd like this at all. We've seen Redania, Temeria, Skellige, etc.. Now that we have a new series, I'd like to see some of the other Northern Kingdoms. Or the Empire! Or, even one of the other countries on the Continent, such as Zerrikania. This new series should be just that: new. New places, new people, and new adventures.

19.44%
  • The new game(s) should be a "a fresh start". New exciting lands, characters, companions, lore etc.
    It's all in the comment above. Yup, yup, and yup! This is the best option, for the "place" part of TW4.

10.03%
  • I would like more than 2 expansions for W3, maybe 4-5 to expand on Ciri, Triss, Saskia, Iorveth etc.
    The more expansions and DLC there is for TW3, the better. I wouldn't mind future games getting delayed for this one. I'm not afraid to say it: TW3 is the greatest game ever made. It deserves all of the DLC and expansions in the world. 8)

49.22%
  • Once Witcher 3 is done I don't want more Witcher games. CDPR should do other things.
    All I know for sure, is that we have 44 heretics on this Forum. Burn them! Burn them all!

13.79%

Last edited:
Top Bottom