Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+
Just because Yennefer has more screentime than Triss doesn't automatically mean that the justice was done to this character

Exactly. I mean just look at Triss. She had more screen time in the games than any other character besides Geralt and how did that turn out for her? Not good.

@toudis815 hehe well glad it made you laugh. Unfortunately it is also a bit true in the game. After Yennefer and Ciri met in Kaer Morhen I kept waiting until the very end to see Ciri thank Yennefer for all she did or simply just hug her or spend a special moment with her, but nothing...while she was always very concerned about Avallac'h. One of the things that CDPR opted for that I guess I will never understand.

It's almost like the writers switched their places. Avallac'h became the worried Mother, who teaches and guides Ciri, while Yennefer was turned into an untrustworthy character with evil plans for her. Avallac'h just has to marry Geralt now and his "mommy" statues will become fully legit.

i think geralt would not be happy to change his partner :uma:

You think she'll give him a choice? You can't refuse a Mary Sue. Even Aunty Philippa couldn't.

:readytofight:Geralt, I think you and Avallac'h should get married

:what:But what about Yen!?

:anger:Whom?

:facepalm2:Nevermind.

:happy2:So that means you're getting married?

:areukiddingme:Nope.

:worried:Geraaaaaaalt...

:yawn:Oh, fine you spoiled brat.

:hug: And they lived miserably ever after.

You think she'll give him a choice? You can't refuse a Mary Sue. Even Aunty Philippa couldn't.

Geralt, I think you and Avallac'h should get married

But what about Yen!?

Whom?

Nevermind.

So that means you're getting married?

Nope.

Geraaaaaaalt...

Oh, fine you spoiled brat.

And they lived miserably ever after.

:angry2: Why didn't I get an invitation!? Perfect opportunity to confront that elf and to give my daughter a good spanking.

Don't mock Geralt - Avallach relationship. At least he's not useing magic to stay young :p After rethinking everything I think that it might work

Guest 3842753

Don't mock Geralt - Avallach relationship. At least he's not useing magic to stay young :p After rethinking everything I think that it might work

Avallach did have a secret crush on Geralt. If you read between the lines and dig super deep into the subtext, it's plain as day. This subtlety is also evident with Iorveth who wished his relationship with Geralt extended beyond mere bromance. kek.

Apparently vatt'ghern are irresistable to dude elves

Guest 3847602

You right. The one who really annoys me is Eskel. I always thought of him as a witcher who knows how to behave. The way he behave towards Geralt about Yennefer was very disapointing. I really like him more in Witcher 1.

I wouldn't think too much of what Eskel and Lambert says, they're just a little jelly about Geralt being with the sorceress. :secret:
We know they would instantly turn into a lovesick puppies if any sorceress would just smile on them. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 3847602

@saladin1701 I'll reply to you here, in the appropriate thread.

I think that's what put me right off Yen and, to be fair, probably puts off a lot of players who haven't read the books. I thought Yen was handled terribly in this game, coming across as one dimensional, bitchy, and controlling. For all the fact that Triss has a disproportionate amount of screen time and involvement for those who chose to romance her (either through preference or through playthrough) she's presented as a far more well rounded, more complex character. Someone who does the right thing precisely because it's the right thing to do as opposed to Yen who does it because it fits her agenda. That may not be the case in the books (I don't know, not read them yet) but it's the impression I've got from the second and third games.

Before some Yen lover gets hot under the collar, please understand this isn't a dig at her, it's simply a criticism of the handling of her in this game.

Yes, Yennefer, as well as every other book character is simplified for the game purpose, that much is clear. However, even in the way she is portrayed in TW3 she clearly have the other, softer and warmer side. The tricky part is - in order to see this part of her, player will have to go on the romance path. If you decide to treat her like dirt, oppose her suggestions, doubt her motivations, ask some very stupid, unnecessary questions, she will respond with arrogance and hostility and you'll only see bitchiness from her. In several cases the tone of conversation with her actually depends on the questions you previously asked or didn't asked (even in which order you do it matters in the Freya's garden). She generally responds favorably to not asking her too many questions and, you know, trusting her.
Had her relationship with Ciri was given more focus and wasn't almost completely ignored, she would obviously be more developed character in the game.
As for Triss being even remotely complex in TW3, that's the conclusion I can never understand, let's immediately agree to disagree on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Yen =

:laughing:

They don't have the space to develop characters like Sap does, so they had to pick her most striking traits - bossy, driven and rather selfish. Probably meant as a counterpoint to Triss, but unfortunately it's one that lacks nuance. The game hardly represents her sympathetic side. But I'll admit, I loved when she got saucy because her lines were well written and the VO was excellent.

and isn't it the case that "Yen thread is for discussing Yen, positive and negative comments allowed" ?

Yup. Unless we decide to just merge them....

Anyway, yes, they clearly ARE meant to be totally different. Regardless of which of them anyone prefers, I think that is something most people would agree with. It would be a pretty boring game if they both had the same nature.

Anyway, yes, they clearly ARE meant to be totally different. Regardless of which of them anyone prefers, I think that is something most people would agree with. It would be a pretty boring game if they both had the same nature.

But they don't have to be direct opposites. In TW3 they're so different that it's predictable. Whatever Yennefer does Triss would do differently. It's oversimplified.

Top Bottom