Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to agree. But I think different to all the other characters in the game Ciri's behaviour is interwoven with the choice mechanic in the game. So her character doesn't stand on it's own, it also "serves the gameplay". From the perspective of a pure storytelling fan that's horrible from the get-go but it's one of these compromises you usually have to make in games. In the end, they are at least as much about gameplay as about story and characters. They are no books.

And then again you can always argue that Ciri is the most "formable" character in theory since she was still so young in the books and her traumatic experiences could pretty much create any "weird" or even normal character you want her to be a few years later. I can say that I had a different Ciri in mind - and that's apparently true for yourself as well - but that doesn't make CDPR's adaption less valid. I don't know, it's a complicated issue with a lot of different opinions involved.

Exactly. Frankly, for me in the game Ciri just feels more like a deus ex machina for Geralt and Yen than their daughter. Well technically it's not that bad from Geralt's POV, but the family isn't complete so in the end Ciri just feels like a tool to make their story end. If we were to talk about underdeveloped characters and bad interactions then we need to talk about Ciri mainly. The whole issue of Yennefer content in the game is Ciri. I don't have anything else to rant about, just Cirilla.

Last edited:
Eva Green as Yen...oh yeah

Yes, the point is that I DID READ the books and I still have a neutral opinion. Should I put everything in words? I meant that you basically presume that someone with a different opinion or someone that doens't idolize Yen automatically didn't read the books or he is just a random casual gamer with 0 clues about Witcher lore. That's arrogance in my opinion.
I did not say anything like "Yen is just a bitch who bitchs Gearalt from the start to the end of W3" or "Yen counts 0 cuz she only appears in the last games" or some other silly comments like that, I wrote a personal opinion and nevertheless I've been called "hater". And then @saphira you say there are not fanboy here...regarding triss thread I am talking from my limited prespective, I basically new in this forum, but I surely agree with you that you can get bad experiences too there.
It's Sephira :cry:

Of course we are fans here. We talk about every character linked with Yennefer, in a bad way in a good way, we talk about her in both ways, someone sings a love song. There are a lot of users there. But I assure that the fanboys, the worst fanboys, are that kind of people you cannot talk with, who bash you for everything. Here, you can agree to disagree, and believe me there's nothing wrong in doing that.
If you sense there's some arrogance here, then I think I can speak for everyone here: that we don't want to give this impression. We just heat up a bit wherever we see bad manners or shitposting on books, and I guess that every book fan could be mad about this. Because it's like (as I said many times) degrading author's work.

Being new in the forums, I can only say: enjoy your stay. :)

Yes, the point is that I READ the books and I still have a neutral opinion. Should I put everything in words? I meant that you basically presume that someone with a different opinion or someone that doens't idolize Yen automatically didn't read the books or he is just a random casual gamer with 0 clues about Witcher lore. That's arrogance in my opinion.

Idolize Yen? Interesting, funny irony. You read the books and you're neutral. That's great (no sarcasm).
But it's not the "Neutral" thread. This is Yennefer's thread. Yennefer is mostly the book character. Right? TW3 is just like 5% of her whole The WItcher saga time.

How can we help people who still has no idea who the f is Yennefer? Read the books.
How can we politely send away people who know no background but always ready to insult Yennefer? Read the books.
How can we give a hand to people who like TW3 Yennefer but want to know more? Read the books.

I see no arrogance and no problem there.

P.S. Why so serious? Relax really.

Exactly. Frankly, for me in the game Ciri just feels more like a deus ex machina for Geralt and Yen than their daughter. Well technically it's not that bad from Geralt's POV, but the family isn't complete so in the end Ciri just feels like a tool to make their story end. If we were to talk about underdeveloped characters and bad interactions then we need to talk about Ciri mainly. The whole issue of Yennefer content in the game is Ciri. I don't have anything else to rant about, just Cirilla.

Well, to make the issue "worse":

The whole plot of Witcher 3 is a (worse) copy of the overall plot in the book pentalogy. The basic idea is all the same. Ciri is still on the run and Geralt and Yennefer are still searching for her and trying to protect her but with way less dramatic build up. Sapkowski's plot 0.5, so to say. The lack of creativity and own ideas in the overall plot of TW3 (not the side quests or even "main story side quests") is astonishing. The more I think about it the more I feel it was a very bad idea from the beginning to make this game about Ciri. Yennefer works pretty well as a counterpoise to Triss after Geralt recovered his memory. But Ciri? She's half plot-vessel, half mechanics-vessel. Her storyline is basically the same as it is in the books (of course with a a huge amount of less details and development...) with the one difference of the spectacle creep ending.

Everything the game is actually great at has nothing to do with Ciri and her story imho...

:worried:

B-But guys, she says so at the end, it's her story.

I'm joking of course

I wanted an option for Geralt to look straight at her, say he doesn't give half a shit about the White Frost, pick Ciri up, and just fucking walk away. Why? Because bugger the greater good with a stick, that ending would have made me laugh.

@Kallelinski, thank you for you hours, your effort, for joining so many differents opinions about Yennefer, what we see, what we understand (or not) and what we feel. Like CDPR trying to compiling 7 books in one game (TW3). Impossible, but the respectful attempt is here.

Thank you for binging to my ming the image of which is Geralt's treatment toward Yennefer

Young padawan, you don't know your RPGs well enough... :p

Never seen a D&D game before, let alone a board or anything to do with it, seems I am young, huh?

“Well said,’ threw in Wizard Radcliffe. ‘Inhuman. Witchers are mutated, so their reactions—”
Sapowski, you cheeky fucker.

---------- Updated at 12:39 PM ----------

The secret and bloody deadly weapon against everyone who doesn't want to read.
The books are nice
Just read 'em or she will kill you
I've warned you!. Ready to die.
ARGH!

Run for you lives!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom