Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think you're a bit biased against Nilfgaard and make it sound worse than it really is. Emhyr and his entourage didn't seem THAT bad to me. I actually really liked General Voorhis. He's probably the nicest guy in Nilfgaard and he'd make a good husband for Ciri if she indeed marries him.

The open-ended nature of the endings kind of makes it so they can be anything that you want and my vision of the future is no more valid than yours, @luc0s .

So, g'head.

I actually think Nilfgaard is a pretty awesome place to live, being as it's a First World Nation compared to the Third World Nation of the North. I also think that once Emhyr is dead, the Nilfgaard will probably cease their campaigns of aggressive expansion and conquest over anything that moves. If we can get less Emhyrs, Radovids, and Henselts then the world can be a better place I think.

I think I have a very unromantic view of the nobility in the Witcherverse. They're routinely portrayed as selfish, shallow, short-sighted, subject to constant manipulations, and often terminally stupid. Ciri is none of those things but I think it's the rare one which rises above that sort of thing and these are the kind of people she'll deal with. Let's face it, the Bloody Baron and Foltest are the two best nobles we meet and they're both objectively terrible people.

The Witcher was a choice between the arrogant nobility of the Flaming Rose and the desperate mean-spirited peasants of the Scoia'tale. I think, like Westeros, the Witcher does a good job of de-romanticizing the concept of hereditary nobility as well as the past 1000 years of romanticizing it. I do think that if Yennefer is Ciri's advisor that things will be much-much happier for her, though, as Yennefer and Ciri would be an unbeatable team and she wouldn't be surrounded by fawning scyopants and strangers. Yennefer would also probably make it possible for Ciri to have the kind of advice she needs and freedom to grow as a person.

I don't think Geralt would ever be happy in Nilfgaard, though, because he'd be just a glorified bodyguard at best and constantly in the middle of intrigues (Not that he isn't already--now that I think about it). The big deal I'd see is Emhyr would want access to HIS daughter and would try to drive Geralt as well as Yennefer away.

The Witcher ending is one Ciri, herself, wanted to choose. I guess I was really moved by Ciri's Witcher speech in Blood of Elves where she wanted to be one because they were champions of justice and that it was a freedom she could rejoice in. I was really touched on the "travelling actors" troupe mission where Ciri looked back at a couple kissing and said, "I want that."

I knew I'd have to try and give that to her.

Ironically, I think Ciri would be just fine as Queen of Skellige or a smaller nation like that. Nilfgaard, though, is the kind of place which obsesses over how you bow. In the eternal war of Slobs vs. Snobs, Ciri is firmly on the side of the Slobs.

The open-ended nature of the endings kind of makes it so they can be anything that you want and my vision of the future is no more valid than yours, @luc0s .

So, g'head.

Perhaps. But your belief that Voorhis is a bad man and potentially a bad husband for Ciri is not grounded though. The books and games give us no reason to believe he's such a man. During every encounter he seems really friendly. So I have to wonder what makes you think that Voorhis would be a bad man and/or a bad husband.

I actually think Nilfgaard is a pretty awesome place to live, being as it's a First World Nation compared to the Third World Nation of the North. I also think that once Emhyr is dead, the Nilfgaard will probably cease their campaigns of aggressive expansion and conquest over anything that moves. If we can get less Emhyrs, Radovids, and Henselts then the world can be a better place I think.

I agree with this, which is why I think Ciri becoming the empress is such a great thing. I know that when Emhyr dies, Voorhis will become the new emperor, so that's a good thing in my opinion. But if Emhyr wins the war he'll also retire and let Voorhis take the throne (with or without Ciri). I just think Voorhis with Ciri together would be a better outcome than Voorhis alone because I think Ciri will have a good influence on him (again, assuming that Ciri would even marry Voorhis, we don't know if she would).

I don't agree on Nilfgaard ceasing their campaigns of aggressive expansion when Emhyr dies though. I think the only scenario where that happens is when Ciri becomes empress (but then again in that scenario Nilfgaard already took over pretty much everything so I suppose that's a moot point).

I think I have a very unromantic view of the nobility in the Witcherverse. They're routinely portrayed as selfish, shallow, short-sighted, subject to constant manipulations, and often terminally stupid. Ciri is none of those things but I think it's the rare one which rises above that sort of thing and these are the kind of people she'll deal with. Let's face it, the Bloody Baron and Foltest are the two best nobles we meet and they're both objectively terrible people.

I don't agree that Foltest and the Baron are terrible people, so to say they're "objectively terrible" is false.

It also seems you're forgetting about Crach en Craithe, another noble and honest ruler. His daughter Cerys is also a honest woman and noble queen if you choose her to be so. Jalmar is arguably less noble but not less honorable. He's a good man and potentially a good king as well.

The books show many more "good" rulers than just Foltest and the self-proclaimed Baron though. Calanthe was a great and honorable queen. Queen Meve of Lyria is also a good and honorable queen. King Vizimir of Redenia (Radovid's father) was also an honorable king, albeit a bit hot-headed.

So no, I don't agree that the North's nobility is routinely portrayed as selfish, short-sighted or shallow. The nobility of the North is as diverse as real-life nobility used to be and you have kings and queens of all sorts, from honorable and altruistic kings such as Crach en Craithe to selfish and short-sighted kings like Radovid.

The Witcher was a choice between the arrogant nobility of the Flaming Rose and the desperate mean-spirited peasants of the Scoia'tale. I think, like Westeros, the Witcher does a good job of de-romanticizing the concept of hereditary nobility as well as the past 1000 years of romanticizing it. I do think that if Yennefer is Ciri's advisor that things will be much-much happier for her, though, as Yennefer and Ciri would be an unbeatable team and she wouldn't be surrounded by fawning scyopants and strangers. Yennefer would also probably make it possible for Ciri to have the kind of advice she needs and freedom to grow as a person.

I agree on this as well. Sadly, Yennefer decided to retire from politics and wants to live somewhere secluded with Geralt.

I don't think Geralt would ever be happy in Nilfgaard, though, because he'd be just a glorified bodyguard at best and constantly in the middle of intrigues (Not that he isn't already--now that I think about it). The big deal I'd see is Emhyr would want access to HIS daughter and would try to drive Geralt as well as Yennefer away.

I don't think Emhyr would try to drive Geralt and Yennefer away, at least not after he's retired and put his daughter on the throne, because at that point he doesn't really have a say in the matter, Ciri and her husband will be the ones making the decisions. But I also think Emhyr is genuinely grateful if Geralt chooses to bring Ciri to him after the battle of Kaer Morhen.

The Witcher ending is one Ciri, herself, wanted to choose.

The Empress ending is also one Ciri, herself, wanted to choose. So what's your point exactly?

I guess I was really moved by Ciri's Witcher speech in Blood of Elves where she wanted to be one because they were champions of justice and that it was a freedom she could rejoice in. I was really touched on the "travelling actors" troupe mission where Ciri looked back at a couple kissing and said, "I want that."

I knew I'd have to try and give that to her.

Can't argue with that logic. But ultimately it's not about what you want to give to her, it's what Ciri wants. And the fact of the matter is that what Ciri wants depends on the information she has. If she's aware of her claim to the Nilfgaardian throne, she will want to become empress. If Ciri is unaware of her claim to the Nilfgaardian throne, she stick to her desire to become a witcher.

If anything I'd say the Empress Ciri ending is more honest, because in that ending Ciri TRULY makes her own decision, while in the Witcher Ciri ending, Geralt is still making the decisions for her (by keeping her in the dark about her claim to the Nilfgaardian throne and lying to Emhyr about Ciri's fate).

So in the Empress ending, Ciri makes her own decision, while in the Witcher ending, Geralt is STILL making the decisions for her. If you look at it from that angle, then I'd say the Empress ending is the better, more honest ending. Better for the world (Ciri will be a great and noble empress) and better for Ciri (being able to truly decide her own fate instead of Geralt making the decisions for her).

Ironically, I think Ciri would be just fine as Queen of Skellige or a smaller nation like that. Nilfgaard, though, is the kind of place which obsesses over how you bow. In the eternal war of Slobs vs. Snobs, Ciri is firmly on the side of the Slobs.

Perhaps. But customs and cultures can change and often do depending on who sits on the throne. Not saying that it will happen over-night, but I'm also not saying that it's entirely impossible for Nilfgaard to loosen up a bit under Ciri's rule.

Last edited:
Can't argue with that logic. But ultimately it's not about what you want to give to her, it's what Ciri wants. And the fact of the matter is that what Ciri wants depends on the information she has. If she's aware of her claim to the Nilfgaardian throne, she will want to become empress. If Ciri is unaware of her claim to the Nilfgaardian throne, she stick to her desire to become a witcher.

My only rebuttal was that Ciri asked my Geralt's opinion of going to meet her and I said that Emhyr would try to manipulate her.

And I got the Witcher ending.

So I think they're about equally honest. It depends really on what Geralt's opinion of Emhyr is versus any free choice of Ciris.

My only rebuttal was that Ciri asked my Geralt's opinion of going to meet her and I said that Emhyr would try to manipulate her.

And I got the Witcher ending.

So I think they're about equally honest. It depends really on what Geralt's opinion of Emhyr is versus any free choice of Ciris.

Fair enough. I didn't know about that. I thought that if you choose to tell Ciri about Emhyr she'll always want to go there.

I told Ciri that Emhyr might not be the best man but he is her father so the very least she could do is hear him out, and then I got the empress Ciri ending.

Fair enough. I didn't know about that. I thought that if you choose to tell Ciri about Emhyr she'll always want to go there.

I told Ciri that Emhyr might not be the best man but he is her father so the very least she could do is hear him out, and then I got the empress Ciri ending.

Ah, well, that explains it.

Ciri's response once I told her I thought Emhyr was going to manipulate her into doing his bidding was, "Well, screw that guy then."

Anyway, good rebuttal and I stand enlightened on a lot of points.

---------- Post merged on 19-06-2015 at 12:16 AM ----------

Personally, I love this bit on Ciri and why I think it makes the Witcher ending the best one for her.

Neutrality? Indifference? She wanted to scream. A witcher looking on indifferently? No! A witcher has to defend people. From the leshy, the vampire, the werewolf. And not only from them. He has to defend people from every evil. And in Transriver I saw what evil is.

A witcher has to defend and save. To defend men so that they aren’t hung on trees by their hands, aren’t impaled and left to die. To defend fair girls from being spread-eagled between stakes rammed into the ground. Defend children so they aren’t slaughtered and thrown into a well. Even a cat burned alive in a torched barn deserves to be defended. That’s why I’m going to become a witcher, that’s why I’ve got a sword, to defend people like those in Sodden and Transriver – because they don’t have swords, don’t know the steps, half-turns, dodges and pirouettes.

No one has taught them how to fight, they are defenceless and helpless in face of the werewolf and the Nilfgaardian marauder. They’re teaching me to fight so that I can defend the helpless. And that’s what I’m going to do. Never will I be neutral. Never will I be indifferent. Never!

This thread is not about Ciri but ok. Do you know that in books Emgyr married Ciri in the end? Not true one but her clone. And at the lodge sorceress told Ciri she can't be queen anymore. Even in Kovir she can be only prince favourite concubine. So the end with her been Empress isn't very lore friendly. Also it would be hard for her to rule the Empire as you know from the books and ingame messages Nilfgard nobles were against Emgyr marriage with Ciri. Instead they wanted him to married one of the Niflgard noble woman not some outlander. So don't expect easy life for Ciri as Empress. In fact after Emgyr death it's more likely that nobles will kill her and make new king from Nilfgard.

Been observing Triss and Yen's thread on this forum for quite a while.

Most of Yen fanboys are open; we discuss not just about Yen but it expands to Geralt and Ciri. Then we moved on to how Yennefer would influence Ciri and Yen's potential role if there were to be more witcher games in the future. To top it up, there's even some fan art in this thread :)

Triss fanboys? Well, they're not happy with all the attention Yen is getting in the game lol. So their discussion mostly revolved around blaming yen, arguing Geralt is better off with Triss and rage about the lack of Triss content (which I have to agree). I pity the Triss fanboys :D

As much as I love Triss, her contents seems like a distance future to me... (though Triss might be the 'perfect' match for Geralt after all).

Pretty sure we're all tired about talking the Empty world after the ending. How much longer do we have to wait for an announcement or hints like 'Due to fan's complaint, we are working for a solution to bring back Yen and Triss...... we 'kinda, sorta' overlooked the that fans would totally be hooked up with the game. sorry for being an ass. Love, CDPR"

Last edited:
Guys I'm watching again the Official Launch trailer and I see there is a scene with Yen which wasn't in the game

Yen is watching Geralt training Ciri....why did they cut it out? :(

I like that smile...

Guys I'm watching again the Official Launch trailer and I see there is a scene with Yen which wasn't in the game

Yen is watching Geralt training Ciri....why did they cut it out? :(

I like that smile...

Yeah why did they cut? They always cut the good stuff out grrr

And I think it was a good decision. It has never happened it was just a dream of Geralt. He even says that it was funny that instead Triss there was Yennefer there in his dream. So there is no need for this scene because it's not really Yennefer but just reflection of her in Geralt mind. I barely accept whole concept of dream about Yennefer Ciri and Geralt in Kaer Morhen as it should be Triss there. But if this is only a dream and not memories... well it could be but still I find it strange. Though I understand their wish to introduce Yennefer and Ciri early in the game and there is no such moment in the books when all 3 were together. So they came up for this trick with dream.

This thread is not about Ciri but ok. Do you know that in books Emgyr married Ciri in the end? Not true one but her clone. And at the lodge sorceress told Ciri she can't be queen anymore. Even in Kovir she can be only prince favourite concubine. So the end with her been Empress isn't very lore friendly. Also it would be hard for her to rule the Empire as you know from the books and ingame messages Nilfgard nobles were against Emgyr marriage with Ciri. Instead they wanted him to married one of the Niflgard noble woman not some outlander. So don't expect easy life for Ciri as Empress. In fact after Emgyr death it's more likely that nobles will kill her and make new king from Nilfgard.

I was actually bringing up the Ciri as Witcher and Ciri as Empress for a reason, surprisingly enough. Basically as a lead in for...

"How would Yen react to both?"

Because I really do love the Ciri and Yen mother-daughter relationship.

---------- Updated at 10:44 AM ----------

And I think it was a good decision. It has never happened it was just a dream of Geralt. He even says that it was funny that instead Triss there was Yennefer there in his dream. So there is no need for this scene because it's not really Yennefer but just reflection of her in Geralt mind. I barely accept whole concept of dream about Yennefer Ciri and Geralt in Kaer Morhen as it should be Triss there. But if this is only a dream and not memories... well it could be but still I find it strange. Though I understand their wish to introduce Yennefer and Ciri early in the game and there is no such moment in the books when all 3 were together. So they came up for this trick with dream.

Really, I think it's interesting that Geralt is seeing Yennefer in the Triss role. It shows where his heart is leaning at the time and what sort of life he wanted to live with Yennefer and Ciri but which reality has deprived him.

He's really a brooding mass of anger over how much he's been taken from, I think.

By Emhyr, The Wild Hunt, and so so much else.

And poor Yen just keeps moving on.

---------- Updated at 10:45 AM ----------

Been observing Triss and Yen's thread on this forum for quite a while.

Most of Yen fanboys are open; we discuss not just about Yen but it expands to Geralt and Ciri. Then we moved on to how Yennefer would influence Ciri and Yen's potential role if there were to be more witcher games in the future. To top it up, there's even some fan art in this thread :)

Triss fanboys? Well, they're not happy with all the attention Yen is getting in the game lol. So their discussion mostly revolved around blaming yen, arguing Geralt is better off with Triss and rage about the lack of Triss content (which I have to agree). I pity the Triss fanboys :D

As much as I love Triss, her contents seems like a distance future to me... (though Triss might be the 'perfect' match for Geralt after all).

Pretty sure we're all tired about talking the Empty world after the ending. How much longer do we have to wait for an announcement or hints like 'Due to fan's complaint, we are working for a solution to bring back Yen and Triss...... we 'kinda, sorta' overlooked the that fans would totally be hooked up with the game. sorry for being an ass. Love, CDPR"

I love Triss as Geralt's LI more than Yennefer even as I love Yennefer but, man, is it kind of like an echo chamber in there.

"We want more Triss."
"Anyone want to discuss Triss and the game?"
"Nope! MORE TRISS!"

---------- Updated at 11:04 AM ----------

Unconventional Sexuality and Relationships: The Triss, Geralt, and Yennefer relationship

One thing I was really hoping to get from the Witcher series is that I've always felt the series was a great deal more mature than other series. I think Bioware and Bethesda are both more mature than the majority of publishers out there but they tend to fall back on convention I was perhaps thus hoping for a bit too much for envelope pushing from this particular game and, as expected, was annoyed when it came back.

On a basic level, the game does a great job with the mood, atmosphere, individual plots, and more but I think they could have done EVEN BETTER if they'd devoted a little more time to the complicated relationship between Yennefer and Geralt. Unlike the majority of Triss and Geralt fans, I'm actually quite happy with the amount of time Yennefer got. Triss got two games worth of development so having Yennefer very central to Skellige doesn't bother me as we need to make it clear this isn't Geralt's "new old flame who tempts him from Triss" but someone that he not only has a child with but is an incredibly important person on every conceivable level.
It's the follow-up which is the problem.

Perhaps Game of Thrones has spoiled me but the writing on the Bloody Baron quest and other parts of the game show that CD_Projekt Red has some top-tier authors working for them (speaking of which: The physical copies of my superhero novel came out today and my next book releases on the 8th! *ahem* Sorry, shameless fanboying myself). For me, there was a missing path where Geralt doesn't play the role of the monogamous suitor emotionally. A lot of fanboys played the Triss and Yennefer role simply to see, and I have to be crude, animated bewbs but I can't help think there was a riskier emotional option that should have been there.

The option when Yennefer says she loves you that, you have to say, "I'm in love with someone else."

Or, dare I say it, "I love you but I also love Triss."

The Triss and Yennefer relationship was, seemingly, irreparably severed in the books but has returned good as new in the games. This despite the fact Triss has done her friend wrong arguably more than ever. Yennefer might be willing to overlook it because Triss, if nothing else, is "all-in" on Team Ciri this time and they're desperate. Still, there really needed to be a Miranda Lawson/Jack confrontation with flying books and spells I think. Similarly, Ciri and her mother needed more scenes together.even if Geralt's relationship to them is tangential.

I don't think CD_Projekt Red could have sold me the Threesome ending of Jade Empire with those two but there's a powerful moment on the trailer of Geralt, Yennefer, where you see these three working together because, at the end of the day, they all love each other. Triss is a part of the Yennefer and Geralt and Ciri family.

And can't they all just get along?

Last edited:
Willowhugger, just reading your review of Blood of Elves. (Great review btw.) Are you planning to read also the rest of the Witcher books? :)

Willowhugger, just reading your review of Blood of Elves. (Great review btw.) Are you planning to read also the rest of the Witcher books? :)

I've already read them! Just haven't reviewed em.

And yes, all of them will be reviewed!

I also was trying to figure out some essays on the game to do.

I've already read them! Just haven't reviewed em.

And yes, all of them will be reviewed!

I also was trying to figure out some essays on the game to do.

Hmm, i do have few main ideas where you could start and modify. It'll take a lot of time though hehe:
- Gameplay
- Main characters
- Romance
- Politics
- Defining moments (e.g. The Last Wish scene, Ciri playing snowball with Geralt, Yennefer uses dark magic & etc. anything that surprises you because you never saw it coming)

Anything that interest normal readers out there. Maybe you can exclude gameplay, because it might only fascinate gamers but might be irrelevant to a bookworm.

I just want to ask generally, in your opinion... do you think Witcher 3 is really the end of Geralt? because there are too many unanswered questions.
If there is a potential, how many more Witcher games should CDPR come out with before they really should retire it from the shelf? :)

I just want to ask generally, in your opinion... do you think Witcher 3 is really the end of Geralt? because there are too many unanswered questions.
If there is a potential, how many more Witcher games should CDPR come out with before they really should retire it from the shelf?

It's difficult to say. It would be, from a financial standpoint, ludicrous to end the series here. The Witcher 1, 2, and 3 are not only incredibly successful video games but they've received international attention for a variety of reasons. The President of Poland gave Obama a copy of the Witcher game during his visit. The games have done an amazing job of proliferating Sapkowski's world across the globe to the point that's it's gone from an amazingly successful book in Poland and reasonably successful one in Europe to a world-famous one across the planet.

The problem is that this may not be their decision. Sapkowski has returned to the Witcher series and is starting to toy with the idea of sequels. He's also made it clear he doesn't intend to incorporate the video games into his plotting.

Depending on their licensing agreement, it could be yanked.

If it depended on me, I would make remasters of TW1 and 2 for PC and consoles. Also, introduce more hints about Witcher 3 and modify their story a bit so that it is more book friendly (of the released RIGHT NOW books). Same for Witcher 3, though not in a re-release. Patches can handle it.

It has some pros:
- Keeps the spotlight on Witcher
- Can give console players the full experience
- Can slightly stifle the wars between book readers and gamers.

Whilst it would be a lot cheaper than a new game, it would still require a healthy dose of investment and commitment though.

If it were to happen... we may have only 2 "canons".
- Video game canon that accepts all events up to the Lady of the Lake and then builds its own version on top.
- Book version only. Where games arent canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom