FPP/TPP Perspective Thread OPEN. Be NICE.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a BIG money thing. You don't just need the voice talent (which is usually quite a low-paying job), you also need to continuously pay the sound operator, the editors, not to mention rent the studio space. If you own your own recording studio and equipment, there's still property expenses, the electricity cost to run the equipment (for hundreds and thousands of man hours), equipment wear-and-tear / replacement. Then, there are inevitable bad takes that need to be re-recorded. Then, post starts and someone needs to be paid to add all of those files where they belong in the game and ensure everything is working properly...sheesh, even keeping vending machines stocked and bottles of water around starts to add up.

Doing a complete VO for a game the size of TW3 or Cyberpunk is a monumental expense.

Too bad nobody can provide exact figures. I'm sure it's a lot compared to the average layman but it'd be interesting to know just how much of a chunk or chip(?) it takes from the budget.

Too bad nobody can provide exact figures. I'm sure it's a lot compared to the average layman but it'd be interesting to know just how much of a chunk or chip(?) it takes from the budget.

It depends on a number of factors, the cost also varies by actor, famous actors are obviously much more expensive. There are some discussions I found regarding this topic, for example on Reddit here. In The Witcher 3 GOTY edition (all DLCs and expansions included), I counted about 627000 words of unique dialogue in English. It should also be kept in mind that the voice acting is in multiple languages (7 in the case of TW3), and that recording often requires multiple takes, and not all of the recorded lines actually make it into the final game. The top comment in the linked thread says about 1000 words can be recorded per hour, there are typically 4 takes, and others say 1 hour costs up to $200 (or more). Again, these numbers probably vary in practice. There is of course additional studio work as well, processing the recorded audio, implementing lip sync, and so on, it is not easy to tell the total cost.

Last edited:
Except the visual that we seen at the demo did show the cam was in the chest and not in the head you could barely see your lower tummy and when v was carring the woman seemed like she was pressing it on her chin. It is clear from the prospective that is completely messed up that yes you can see your body but you are still an headless character with the eyes on the lower part of your breast.

I say CDPR say you can see your body if you look down :D, not sure if that is 100% true.

Like i say many time i would be really happy if they add TPP later, and i can see that same scene when V carry that women in TPP, or any other encounter from the demo in TPP.

Yeah you definitely see body while in FPP several times (more than just holding a gun). (1) Wave at NPC, motioning to get back in room as you go down hallway towards scav fight. (2) Dunk scav into water and shoot him. (3) Taking inhaler (several times). (4) See legs and arms while doing diagnostic on scav victim - which includes taking plugs from wrist. (5) Arms when catching the "airhypo" and then going all pulp fiction on our target to resuscitate her. (6) Taking shard from Dex. (7) Pretty much the whole scene with Victor the Ripperdoc you can see your legs.

I'm not gonna do it for the whole demo, but yeah, it's not just hands and floating eyes. It's pretty clear that IF one moved there head around more, you could see more of your own person.

Now, I do wish there were animations for things like clicking buttons on elevators, picking up weapons, and putting on clothes ... which were clearly not there in the demo. Here's hoping they get added.

They didn't add first person to Witcher later. Or isometric or turn based or real time with pause. Or any major gameplay changes.

This is not something you should expect from CDPR. They will move onto the next project after Cpunk and CPunk DLCs and expansions are done. Super unlikely they will focus on mods, modding, FPP, turn-based or anything like that. Just hasn't been their method.

Well, they don't need to do a thing, none developer don't really need to do a thing after game come out, they don't need to do DLC, they don't need to update a game, they can say we made game, don't expect DLC's or updates.
Obsidian didn't need to add turn based system for PoE 2, no one force them to do so, but they did for fans and people who wanted to play PoE 2 in turn based.
Tango Gameworks didn't need to add FPP in The Evil Within 2 but they did again for people who would love to play game in FPP.
CDPR didn't add microtransaction till now, but that don't mean that they won't do it for their next games.
CDPR did give some limited modding tools for Witcher 2 and 3, and people did great modes for those games, maybe CDPR don't like mods and modders, so they give them a limited tool.

But if you adding MP where you going to see other people running around doing stuff around the city, you can add TPP too.

The problem lies more within the world itself as far as I understand it. The indoor spaces are build so that they'll fit perfectly for FPP and therefore you can't just slap a TPP camera on it.

Of course it will work but it will suck and it will be far from perfect and CDPR won't do anything just for the sake of it. Especially not if the outcame is mediocre.

Doesn't mean they'll do a lukewarm TPP camera which gets stuck at every other wall or obstacle.

I'm afraid the third person train is long gone which sucks for the TPP-only people but that's how it is.

FPP-only is a strategic mistake for an RPG, a self-inflicted wound by CDPR, but if that is what the game is, then such is life, it can still be a good game.

But at least there needs to be some ability to pan out and actually look at your toon in TPP, even if you are forced back to FPP when you actually do anything: modders will add that capability if CDPR doesn't.

If CDPR gets a lot wrong, it may still be quite a fun game once it is heavily modded (i.e like Fallout 4, which is great when massively modded (I ran my version with 239 mods) ... FO4 was pretty much unplayable unmodded :D )

Last edited:
Well the FPP decision was a bit underwhelming i dare to say expecially in a rpg where you are supposed to have a lot of customization (we still don't know if this will be limited in cosmetics but expanded in gun customization that is more likely) and for the cramped interior a toggle would solve all the problems many forget that even GTAV had cramped interiors in some location and still the TPP was serviceable what concerns me is that this game seems from this decision but also from other things devolver in to a pick your adventure shooter and this is plain bad.

Because in the end they can tell me is a RPG first and Foremost but i think this decisions put more weight in to getting the Call of duty crowd instead of delivering finally the rpg Cyberpunk pen and paper were waiting from so long. Of course this is my personal opinion ((and sadly also the opinion with all the people i play the pen and paper with)) but is how i feel.

I don't think FPP add in the roleplay department i truly believe that detracts from it outside first person dungeon crawlers many first person rpgs play just like Fps and pretty much everyone of them had limited customization or a set protagonist.

There are a lot of examples:
The first deus ex (the only title of the franchise that is a rpg and not a shooter with few roleplay elements)
Kingdom come deliverance.
And i could go on.

Game being FPP only was indeed an huge mistake from the beginning and if quoting "Is how we chose to tell the story" is the motivation i will warmly remember this is a Role-Playing-Game and not a Movie or a book with all the respect i have for cd projekt writers.

Also i would ask people to stop to say "Is their vision ". In the end if their vision is possible is because there were people that believed in them and invested their personal money in their products and right now there is a rather large community of cd projekt fana that are disliking this decision.

Also i want to point out this:
The people that wants TPP in the game never ever asked for a TPP only game instead the people that were obsessed with FPP wanted FPP only since the beginning.

Last edited:
The people that wants TPP in the game never ever asked for a TPP only game instead the people that were obsessed with FPP wanted FPP only since the beginning.
Huh? I can't speak for everyone else here, but I preferred TPP in the lead up, and advocated being able to switch between the two if they could do it well. However I definitely would not want it like some games with both where neither is implemented well (looks at Bethesda games). They decided to go with FPP and I've accepted it. I was not "obsessed with FPP and wanted FPP only since the beginning." For reference - https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...acter-perspective.27189/page-43#post-10834151.

So lets not overgeneralize. There are some of us who just like what we've seen. Based on how the dialogue system is going to work, the representation of digital overlays on vision for netrunning, targeting, and etc, I think it makes perfect sense to have the game mostly in FPP, with some limited TPP portions where it makes sense (i.e. driving, some cutscenes, and potentially photomode).

Last edited:
Huh? I can't speak for everyone else here, but I preferred TPP in the lead up, and advocated being able to switch between the two if they could do it well. However I definitely would not want it like some games with both where neither is implemented well (looks at Bethesda games). They to go with FPP and I've accepted it. I was not "obsessed with FPP and wanted FPP only since the beginning." For reference - https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...acter-perspective.27189/page-43#post-10834151.

So lets not overgeneralize. There are some of us who just like what we've seen. Based on how the dialogue system is going to work, the representation of digital overlays on vision for netrunning, targeting, and etc, I think it makes perfect sense to have the game mostly in FPP, with some limited TPP portions where it makes sense (i.e. driving, some cutscenes, and potentially photomode).

No of course not overgeneralizing here but is clear this happens a lot even if there is who claims "I am a fpp fan but i don't oppose to have TPP as well" sadly this kind of posters are very rare but i can fix that statement adding "usually". And honestly i will absolutely take any not perfect TPP bethesda style switch than a FPP only.

Huh? I can't speak for everyone else here, but I preferred TPP in the lead up, and advocated being able to switch between the two if they could do it well.

Yup, same here. I saw it as a switchable FPP - TPP until the E3 closed doors demo. Did the news of it being FPP only bother me? Sure.. in the begining.. until i saw what they are trying to do.. There are so few RPG's that really take advantage of FPP that the possibility of this being the new standard of its type excited me more than the lack of TPP bothered me. Now i only wish it will be the best it can be while taking full advantage of the possibilities of their choice of perspective.
My top 3 games i've played in TPP, one of them even had a FPP option https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/top-10-favorite-games.29360/page-6#post-11296846, i did however play Skyrim almost exclusively in FPP.

First and foremost it has to be a good game. That's it. To be able to make a good game you need a clear vision of what you are making (and this is generally applicable in any domain, activity, whatever). Once they make that good game i and many others will no doubt discuss what made it good. The RPG elements? the action elements? the perspective? all of them combined? Until then i am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that it is indeed what they are striving for. First and foremost.

Last edited:
Yup, same here. I saw it as a switchable FPP - TPP until the E3 closed doors demo. Did the news of it being FPP only bother me? Sure.. in the begining.. until i saw what they are trying to do.. There are so few RPG's that really take advantage of FPP that the possibility of this being the new standard of its type excited me more than the lack of TPP bothered me. Now i only wish it will be the best it can be while taking full advantage of the possibilities of their choice of perspective.

First and foremost it has to be a good game. That's it. To be able to make a good game you need a clear vision of what you are making (and this is generally applicable in any domain, activity, whatever). Once they make that good game i and many others will no doubt discuss what made it good. The RPG elements? the action elements? the perspective? all of them combined? Until then i am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that it is indeed what they are striving for. First and foremost.

Problem is what they are doing are kinda breaking the spirit of the pen and paper the game is based on but this is not the thread to discuss about such thing.

THe game fpp only kinda contributed to it because if you go fpp you have then to make the shooting reactive FPS so is a Aim and click to shot... Every FPP game featuring guns works the same. The demo in fact looked like every generic looter shooter around.

Last edited:
Problem is what they are doing are kinda breaking the spirit of the pen and paper the game is based on but this is not the thread to discuss about such thing.

THe game fpp only kinda contributed to it because if you go fpp you have then to make the shooting reactive FPS so is a Aim and click to shot... Every FPP game featuring guns works the same. The demo in fact looked like every generic looter shooter around.

Except that looter shooter can - and does - work in TPP, just look at Anthem. All the action when you're in you Javelin is TPP.

THe game fpp only kinda contributed to it because if you go fpp you have then to make the shooting reactive FPS so is a Aim and click to shot...

Maybe you're right, maybe the decision to go first person was mainly dictated by the gunfighting from the source material. And maybe the action combat was a way for them to transmit that intensity and heart-pumping that fast-paced combat systems usually evoke. But is that truly an inferior option? Some would say it's exactly like a firefight should feel. Just like you I'm hoping it's not a generic looter-shooter, we have plenty of those around. But no matter what you call a game like Deus Ex HR/MD, a looter-shooter isn't one of them. Yea.. levels need to go imo.

Slapping a turn based mode or another perspective won't make the game better in relation to what it's supposed to offer gameplay wise. If anything, they should focus their resources on fleshing out what's already there and expanding on it.

Last edited:
Maybe you're right, maybe the decision to go first person was mainly dictated by the gunfighting from the source material. And maybe the action combat was a way for them to transmit that intensity and heart-pumping that fast-paced combat systems usually evoke. But is that truly an inferior option? Some would say it's exactly like a firefight should feel. Just like you I'm hoping it's not a generic looter-shooter, we have plenty of those around. But no matter what you call a game like Deus Ex HR/MD, a looter-shooter isn't one of them. Yea.. levels need to go imo.

Slapping a turn based mode or another perspective won't make the game better in relation to what it's supposed to offer gameplay wise. If anything, they should focus their resources on fleshing out what's already there and expanding on it.

Now that is something great to discuss.. Problem is yes it kinda an inferior option because while tpp games evolved over time to offer even gameplay variation FPP ones don't and i grant you a firefight is not what was portrayed in the gameplay demo that is not a firefight that is hollywood want to experience a real firefight? try Arma.

Also cursomization in a game where you supposed to create your character where you have outfit or cosmetics FPP only is a very crippling choice and i speculate the character customization based on the impression i had on the demo and the answer given by the devs to some question will be very very limited again expected in a FPP only game.

In the source material be involved in a firefight was always an huge risk character could be killed or heavily wounded at the point to be disabilitated this don't apply in cyberpunk 2077 where in the gameplay demo you have a V that resemble a character of a action movie directed by Micheal Bay.. That slides under a storm of bullets instead of taking cover she soaks bullets as her health magically regenerate and again this would be a fantastic shooter but for sure it breaks the sense of danger and lethality of a game that is supposed to be based on cyberpunk 2020 and sadly more important of everything else it breaks also the spirit of it.

Night city should be dangerous and be in a fight should be lethal instead in the demo i saw a magnificent beautiful crafted open world wasted on generic FPS gameplay.

Deus Ex HR and MD hardy can be qualified as rpg's they are more in to action games or shooter than rpg in fact the rpg elements in those game are very very lite.

FPP could had be used differently in a more involving manner instead what we saw in the demo was not different from any other game featuring first person shooting but more like a FPS made with a collage of features of different fps.

Thing is if this was a title based on a original ip not many people were complaining instead we have a game based on a beloved pen and paper where customization is important and we know that V customization is pretty basic if not limited we know that you can customize guns but they still have to give answers on cosmetics ((that are a big part of the pen and paper as well))

Due to the game being FPP only this cripple not only the customization but also variety on the gameplay.

I was talking with a friend that is a pen and paper player of cyberpunk 2020 and is following the development of Cyberpunk 2077

And this is what he said:

>this is a cyberpunk game, but instead of giving you bioware,cyberware and nanowear to choose from. Here take all these different guns and attachments!

And sadly this is pretty much the same opinion in the group i play with and those guys were like me the people that used to tell "If someone can do this right is cd projekt red"

Sadly seems is not the case but i could of course be wrong.

Worth to mention that none of the people advocating for TPP or unhappy with the direction the game seems to have taken were interested on a turn based game in the end we knew it would be in real time but thing is you could adapt the rules to work amazingly even in real time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom