The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition available on Linux!

+
Ok, I'll be short since it's late here, I'll investigate tommorow a bit more, but walking in chapter 1 village:
*even though Steam is started you can't run witcher2 directly as
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; Sys_LoadModule failed to load: /home/name/.steam/bin32/steamclient.so
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.dll.
*mouse lag in menu
*copied keyboard settings from Windows version since keys did not worked as set up by the configurator, well ESC and F9 worked but not CTRL/W/A/S/D, not to mention I use a Dvorak layout that's not properly detected but yeah
*walked a bit and there is a place near the lady that makes stew where the textures go black, I can repro it at will; Steam did not screenshot it but that's another issue as it did not do any screenshot at all; game crashed walking a bit more.
*droped framerate to 0.3fps and had to kill the game on the second run; walking in the same section where on my first run it worked ok
*the bug reported errors out with "JSON parse error or Base64 decode error on the server!" sometimes
*the bug reporter needs to include 'cat ~/.local/cdprojektred/witcher2/GameDocuments/Witcher 2/config/User.ini' too, I'll provide mine here:
[Dlc]
abetterui.dzip=1
alchemy_suit.dzip=1
dlc_finishers.dzip=1
krbr.dzip=1
magical_suit.dzip=1
merchant.dzip=1
roche_jacket.dzip=1
swordsman_suit.dzip=1
winter.dzip=1

[Engine]
CustomRenderingSettings=1
PerformancePlatform=3

[Gameplay]
ShowCombatLog=1
ShowTutorial=1
UsePad=0

[Graphics]
Brightness=1.0
Gamma=1.0

[Input]
DoubleTap=0.5
InvertCameraX=0
InvertCameraY=0
KeyboardLayout=QWERTY

[InputQWERTY]
IK_0=(Gamekey=GI_Holster,Value=1.000000)
IK_1=(Gamekey=GI_Steel,Value=1.000000)
IK_2=(Gamekey=GI_Silver,Value=1.000000)
IK_5=(Gamekey=GI_Hotkey05,Value=1.000000)
IK_6=(Gamekey=GI_Hotkey06,Value=1.000000)
IK_7=(Gamekey=GI_Hotkey07,Value=1.000000)
IK_8=(Gamekey=GI_Hotkey08,Value=1.000000)
IK_9=(Gamekey=GI_Hotkey09,Value=1.000000)
IK_A=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftX,Value=-1.000000)
IK_Alt=(Gamekey=GI_LockTarget,Value=1.000000)
IK_C=(Gamekey=GI_Character,Value=1.000000)
IK_CapsLock=(Gamekey=GI_WalkFlag,Value=1.000000)
IK_D=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftX,Value=1.000000)
IK_Delete=(GameKey="GI_Cancel",Value=1)
IK_Down=(GameKey="GI_Down",Value=1)
IK_E=(Gamekey=GI_Block,Value=1.000000)
IK_Enter=(GameKey="GI_Enter",Value=1)
IK_Escape=(Gamekey=GI_Exit,Value=1.000000)
IK_F=(Gamekey=GI_CircleOfPower,Value=1.000000)
IK_F5=(Gamekey=GI_F5,Value=1.000000)
IK_F9=(Gamekey=GI_F9,Value=1.000000)
IK_H=(Gamekey=GI_H,Value=1.000000)
IK_I=(Gamekey=GI_Inventory,Value=1.000000)
IK_J=(Gamekey=GI_Journal,Value=1.000000)
IK_LControl=(Gamekey=GI_FastMenu,Value=1.000000)
IK_LShift=(Gamekey=GI_WalkSwitch,Value=1.000000)
IK_LeftMouse=(Gamekey=GI_AttackFast,Value=1.000000)
IK_M=(Gamekey=GI_Nav,Value=1.000000)
IK_MiddleMouse=(Gamekey=GI_UseAbility,Value=1.000000)
IK_Mouse4=(Gamekey=GI_Hotkey03,Value=1.000000)
IK_Mouse5=(Gamekey=GI_Hotkey04,Value=1.000000)
IK_MouseX=(GameKey="GI_MouseX",Value=1)
IK_MouseY=(GameKey="GI_MouseY",Value=1)
IK_Pad_A_CROSS=(Gamekey=GI_Accept_Evade,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_B_CIRCLE=(Gamekey=GI_UseAbility,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_Back_Select=(GameKey="GI_TutorialHint",Value=1)
IK_Pad_DigitDown=(Gamekey=GI_Holster,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_DigitLeft=(Gamekey=GI_Steel,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_DigitRight=(Gamekey=GI_Silver,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_DigitUp=(Gamekey=GI_Adrenaline,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_LeftAxisX=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftX,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_LeftAxisX=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftX,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_LeftAxisY=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftY,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_LeftAxisY=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftY,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_LeftShoulder=(Gamekey=GI_LockTarget,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_LeftThumb=(Gamekey=GI_Medallion,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_LeftTrigger=(Gamekey=GI_FastMenu,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_RightAxisX=(GameKey="GI_AxisRightX",Value=1)
IK_Pad_RightAxisY=(GameKey="GI_AxisRightY",Value=1)
IK_Pad_RightShoulder=(Gamekey=GI_UseItem,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_RightThumb=(Gamekey=GI_CircleOfPower,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_RightTrigger=(Gamekey=GI_Block,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_Start=(Gamekey=GI_Exit,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_X_SQUARE=(Gamekey=GI_AttackFast,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_Y_TRIANGLE=(Gamekey=GI_AttackStrong,Value=1.000000)
IK_R=(Gamekey=GI_UseItem,Value=1.000000)
IK_RightMouse=(Gamekey=GI_AttackStrong,Value=1.000000)
IK_S=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftY,Value=-1.000000)
IK_Space=(Gamekey=GI_Accept_Evade,Value=1.000000)
IK_Tab=(GameKey="GI_TutorialHint",Value=1)
IK_Up=(GameKey="GI_Up",Value=1)
IK_W=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftY,Value=1.000000)
IK_X=(Gamekey=GI_Adrenaline,Value=1.000000)
IK_Z=(Gamekey=GI_Medallion,Value=1.000000)

[MouseInput]
KeyboardCooldownSpeed=0.1
MouseDampX=7000
MouseDampY=7000
MouseSensitivityX=0.5
MouseSensitivityY=0.5
MouseSmoothness=0
SensitivityX=0.5
SensitivityY=0.5
Smoothness=0
UseMouseDamp=false

[Rendering]
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBillboards=0
AllowBloom=1
AllowBlur=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
AllowDOF=0
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowVignette=0
AspectRatio=3
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
FoliageDistanceScale=2
ForceInstantAdaptation=0
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=3
MaxCubeShadowSize=2048
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=2048
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=2
MeshLodGameplayDownscale=0
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=1
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=1024
TextureTimeBudget=10
UberSampling=1
VSync=1
VideoScreenshotsExtension=png
VideoScreenshotsFramerate=30

[Sound]
MusicVolume=0.250000
SoundVolume=1.00000

[Tutorial]
Played=1

[Viewport]
Height=1200
Width=1920

[linux]
AudioBackend=alsa
GLMode=1
Language=EN
Speech=EN

So yeah, it will take some time.

60 seconds voglperf plot, non-human district near the river, chapter 1: http://i.imgur.com/RPqQRw5.png

Specs: i5-4570/GTX660Ti/Debian Sid 64bit/kernel 3.14/nvidia 337.19

Last edited:
+1
I have already 2 copies, 1 on launch, 1 enhanced, gifted 3 more to my friends and today I bought it again for Linux since I did not have the Steam version, just to show support.
Like I said, if this version runs poorer than running the Windows version with WINE then CDP really did a bad job, either by hiring the wrong team or having the wrong idea on what Linux gamers want and so they deserve the flak that's coming. Yeah, fixing it performance wise will help, a lot. Also, don't they remember the LIMBO Humble Bundle "scandal" ?

I'll post some comparison FPS between Windows/WINE/eON later.

Yeah, it's frustrating... Licaon and I have been hoping for this forever!

To get this out of the way:
Ubuntu 13.10
8GB RAM
Core i7 4770K
GTX 560Ti Superclocked

Using WINE with CSMT I easily get 40+fps @ 1920x1200 with settings on Ultra (Ubersampling and Vsync disabled).
The same settings give me about 5fps (sometimes as high as ten) on even just the Arena holding area.
I can bump it up by a few FPS by lowering settings, but it never gets to a really playable framerate even when changing resolution settings.

---------
Edit: More testing!

To get similar performance to WINE I had to lower the resolution waaay down to 1440x900 (or lower). However there will be frequent hitching. To eliminate this I had to lower settings to High. I also noticed that if I forced 16:9 ratio there was often artifacting near the bottom of the rendered view (generally in the form of a red line).

Other issues:
The game will crash when selecting Arena if Game Overlay is disabled. When enabled selecting Arena will crash the game if you do not wait for the "steam overlay enabled press..." popup to disappear.

--------
Edit 2: And more!

Swapped the Display Manager from GNOME Shell to Metacity and FPS had a sudden jump way up to a playable level with High settings on 1920x1200. I'm guessing the application isn't properly telling the DE to not composite its window, exacerbating any performance issues.

Last edited:
Just did a round of a few comments threads in other places...

It seems pretty clear that the game has issues, but nothing like the "It doesn't work for anyone, I want my money back, anyone who claims it's working must be a company shill" attitude that was prevalent in Steam yesterday. As long as there's a productive attitude on both sides, it looks like the problems may be resolvable.

I think I agree with those people who said that the beta testing should have been opened up to a wider group though.

Swapped the Display Manager from GNOME Shell to Metacity and FPS had a sudden jump way up to a playable level with High settings on 1920x1200. I'm guessing the application isn't properly telling the DE to not composite its window, exacerbating any performance issues.
there one issue here, they're not doing proper fullscreen, but they just scale de output on the desktop, so the compositor will interfere. I'm using i3wm so I guess I'm hit less.

there one issue here, they're not doing proper fullscreen, but they just scale de output on the desktop, so the compositor will interfere. I'm using i3wm so I guess I'm hit less.

There's a few different hints they can call that tell the compositor not the redirect the window, however. Example: _NET_WM_BYPASS_COMPOSITOR

Should be a theoretically easy fix, even if they decide to just keep scaling (which is fine honestly).

II've bought game 2nd time to show my support for linux version but sadly on Core i5 2320(3Ghz), Nvidia GTS 450, and 4 GB RAM, game even on 720p (it looks that changing resolution from 1920x1200 makes no difference) with all setting "minimum" game is unpayable :/ Sound lags and every time i quit, game is crashing. This port must be fixed. Anyway, Big Thx for supporting Linux i hope it gets better.

"We’re really pumped to be able to invite RPG fans who use Linux to the party," said Marcin Momot, Community Manager, CD PROJEKT RED. "The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is one of the greatest fantasy adventures on Linux, and I’m sure every role-playing enthusiast with a craving for some quality questing will have tons of fun playing the game!" Momot added.
Wasn't there a written rule that you never launch anything on a friday since support is down during the weekend and clients will be left hanging?

I hope CDP has some answers on monday.

Wasn't there a written rule that you never launch anything on a friday since support is down during the weekend and clients will be left hanging?
But it was released on Thursday. :p

But yeah, a bit late in the week, especially considering the shitstorm that accompanied it.

You can't get it for Linux anywhere else in the first place anyway. So you would have to know it's on Steam if you're asking about how you can install it, and not how you can purchase it.

Either way, I don't think CDPR are required to state the names of the retailers that offer the product.

They should start offering Linux support in GoG soon, I thought they might wait for TW2 Linux release but no avail.

Top Bottom