Combat in The Witcher 3

+
Well it doesn't look that much like the Arkham games, only the movement looks more fluid.

Yeah, when I first read the interview where the Arkham series was mentioned that was how I understood them. They wanted to introduce the fluidity of Arkham's combat system, especially in regards to switching between targets when fighting a group.

I was no fan of TW2's combat by any stretch. Too many times combatants had the ability to swing on you if you began an attack on an enemy first, and then didn't have the time to bring up a defense. As such, TW2's combat was closer to button mashing than it was a strategic implementation.

The "Freeflow Fighting" system could work very well (albeit modified) in TW3. Though Geralt would have his own more subtle, less comic-y style of moves, there would exist attacks, power attacks, counters, ground games, combinations, mixing in weapon use, mixing in magic/sign use. When you start fighting different types of enemies, they can introduce new mechanics which make it more challenging to address them. You build different archetypes of enemies.

Ultimately, you want Geralt to feel like a badass, but you don't want a system in place that allows him to easily overcome enemies. As you progress and deal with more powerful enemies, you might find some impervious to moves, able to counter counters, etc. There's a lot of tier'd potential to the system, but since it's such an integral part of an RPG, I do hope they get something that works very very well.

Just took a look at E3 footage from the MS conference - I liked the dismemberment and backsteps, but other than that the combat seems extremely lacking. The griffin fight ended with a cutscene (hopefully a placeholder) and it mostly stuck to the ground, and lacked the moveset to adequately challenge the player. A better fit for that specific fight would be the Sanctuary Guardian boss fight from Dark Souls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW_8XmmgIx8 rather than a boss that can be brought down easily and lacks competent attack patterns on the ground. Also the griffin should have behaved differently to the amount of health it had left... so on and so forth.

Geralt's moveset on the other hand, doesn't look much improved from TW2, especially the sword attack animations which lack variety (looking at that light attack chain mid-video). Rise of the Sword mod for Witcher 2 did it right - button combos for executing specific attacks rather than the game randomly deciding on it.

Basically, as of right now, base combat is lacking - and should be improved by a lot before release.

Just took a look at E3 footage from the MS conference - I liked the dismemberment and backsteps, but other than that the combat seems extremely lacking. The griffin fight ended with a cutscene (hopefully a placeholder) and it mostly stuck to the ground, and lacked the moveset to adequately challenge the player. A better fit for that specific fight would be the Sanctuary Guardian boss fight from Dark Souls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW_8XmmgIx8 rather than a boss that can be brought down easily and lacks competent attack patterns on the ground. Also the griffin should have behaved differently to the amount of health it had left... so on and so forth.

Geralt's moveset on the other hand, doesn't look much improved from TW2, especially the sword attack animations which lack variety (looking at that light attack chain mid-video). Rise of the Sword mod for Witcher 2 did it right - button combos for executing specific attacks rather than the game randomly deciding on it.

Basically, as of right now, base combat is lacking - and should be improved by a lot before release.

I partially agree.

I like that there is no auto-lock, I like the way the animations are and it really seems the combat overall is more fluid, but what struck me as the most problematic in the gameplay footage is that combat seems SO easy. Really, I didn't see any challenge in the Griffin fight, nor was there any challenge in the fight with the Soldiers.

I think it's cool, cut scenes after killing some monsters or all is really cool because it is fun to see that extra unknown footage.
i.e As in I wonder.. what it looks like when I kill this thing. It will spice things up like a movie I'm looking forward to them to be honest only if each one it unique and different from the last killing cut scene because it's that litte extra something that makes the defeat that much sweeter!! Guys its a story game trust me and cdpr on this I promise it will be epic. ;)

I partially agree.

I like that there is no auto-lock, I like the way the animations are and it really seems the combat overall is more fluid, but what struck me as the most problematic in the gameplay footage is that combat seems SO easy. Really, I didn't see any challenge in the Griffin fight, nor was there any challenge in the fight with the Soldiers.

It's on easy mode for the public demo, they are not going to fucking grind for 20 mins with some weakass bandits. Think about it man, stage time is money so you get in and show some goods and get the fuck out while showing as much as you can and try not to spoil it for most of us. Just have faith in more people like me and cdpr team who understands why it has to be this way for now:)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's on easy mode for the public demo, they are not going to fucking grind for 20 mins with some weakass bandits. Think about it man, stage time is money so you get in and show some goods and get the fuck out while showing as much as you can and try not to spoil it for most of us. Just have faith in more people like me and cdpr team who understands why it has to be this way for now

Yeah I figured (and hoped) as much.
Still, even on "normal" TW2 had pretty challenging combat.
So I hope it stays that way (I believe in you CDPR - make it happen :D)

Now that we've seen all E3 footage CDPR has for us I have to say I am more hyped than ever, especially after seeing just how great the world looks and just how perfectly dreadful Dijkstra looks. There was one factor that was not quite in par with the rest imo, combat was a bit of a letdown in the demo(understandable since there are still 8 mounths of polishing ahead) and since CDPR encourages us to be honest and give our feedback, here is my 2 cents worth of humble suggestions that imo would improve the CS

Animations: These were a particular problem for me because they looked very unnatural (imo at least), I really hated how Geralt dashed and pirouetted all over the battlefield and most of his attacks involved jumping pirouettes. Imo the CS would look better and more fluid if animations were a bit more inspired in fencing, the backsteps and pirouettes need polishing so the can't be spammed and the w2 roll has to return so we can use it in fights like the griffin's. Give us normal slashes, thrusts, as well as the pirouette slashes and movie like moves, give us animations that adapt to the positioning, like if Geralt has his back to the enemy he will smoothly pirouette(not jumping) and slash the oponent.
TW2 did a good job with animations, they seemed natural and didn't go overboard with movie-like attacks, I especially liked that jumping throat thrust (think Aquiles killing that big guy at the beginning of Troy)
Also enemies were seriously lacking animations and were incredibly slow, (Tbh W2 had the same issue), give them quick animations, most of the humans we fight are bandits and soldiers with combat experience, make their animations badass as well, make them quick and responsive, I think the majority of fans would love to see a combat system that makes you feel like a very skilled swordsman fighting skilled enemies.
Blocking looked janky as well, give us many block animations that adapt,
here is an example of nice block animations http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shh5YEFtzfM

Kill animations: These would be really cool if added correctly, something like AC in a cinematic way but not in a gameplay way, since this time around every button press equals one animation maybe if the enemy is one blow from dying we sometimes get a very quick kill animation for the final blow that would not stop the flow of combat , something like Geralt quickly thrusting through a guy's stomach or throat, or something like we saw in early screenshots were he is fighting vikings and slices the carotid artery and the Viking bleeds to death. (screens available in Sidspyker's screen thread)

Coup de grace: One thing I really like in the demo is how enemies get mutilated by geralt (just like in the books), and particularly how one guy crawled away in pain. So it looks like there is a chance of some enemies still being alive after their health hits 0, It would be really cool if we got the option to finish them off , and even cooler if we could also do it with monsters, imagine the griffin battle ending like this:
you get its health to 0 but it doesn't actually die (this particular time, not every single time), it falls and lays there incapacitated in a sort of last stand where there's still a small chance that it will hurt you, you then perform the coup de grace, the animation being that geralt takes his sword in both hands and stabs through its heart, or something like the CE statue: He mounts it and pierces its throat as it struggles!

Anyway thanks for a great E3 CDPR you guys are amazing!! I'm sure you'll hit all the sweet spots with the final game!! :cheers:

Last edited:
So I just checked out the debut gameplay trailer again (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ_G6XiHoUA), and the little snippets of combat look crazy good. After seeing the combat from the gamespot gameplay demo, I actually quite liked what I saw, but it still doesn't look as good as what was shown in the debut trailer. Specifically the animations. What do you guys think? Did they just choose the right moments and right angles for the debut trailer, or did they change the combat? I also like that they have a proper dodging and parrying system now instead of the constant rolling, but I hope they didn't remove rolling completely. It can still be used in some situations, like @ 1:16 in the trailer.

I think the animations themselves are on par with what was shown during the trailers. Some transitions still need some work though. Personally, I think a few animations also need to be slowed down a bit. Also, keep in mind that the camera in the trailers is much closer to the action, letting you see more details, so that plays a big role as well.

Janky animation transitions and some minor quirks aside, I did like how responsive the combat seemed. What's left is to have it as responsive while also looking nice.

I think the animations themselves are on par with what was shown during the trailers. Some transitions still need some work though. Personally, I think a few animations also need to be slowed down a bit. Also, keep in mind that the camera in the trailers is much closer to the action, letting you see more details, so that plays a big role as well.

Janky animation transitions and some minor quirks aside, I did like how responsive the combat seemed. What's left is to have it as responsive while also looking nice.

Yeah I think you're right. I really hope they add camera options or have the camera be closer like in the trailer when you're not fighting a big group.

witcher 3 combo system more like batman or devil may cry?

Now that the combo system is part of the witcher 3 combat,how do you like that it work?
Like Batman Arkham series that consist of mash the button repeatly to do a combo or like dmc series that consist of different buttons combinations?

No combos, what they show was some bandits playing on easy mode. Dont be fooled by it. I dont think in W2 you could pull more then 2 hits without getting hit back. Think shields and parry.

I never played on easy. Hard is my favorite difficulty on W2. you run for your life when more then 2 enemies are next to each other chasing you. You have to take them one on one and keep distance etc.

Hope it helps. Dunno if I told you what you want to hear. They changed combat in W3 a bit.

Last edited:
No combos, what they show was some bandits playing on easy mode. Dont be fooled by it. I dont think in W2 you could pull more then 2 hits without getting hit back. Think shields and parry.

I never played on easy. Hard is my favorite difficulty on W2. you run for your life when more then 2 enemies are next to each other chasing you. You have to take them one on one and keep distance etc.

Hope it helps. Dunno if I told you what you want to hear. They changed combat in W3 a bit.
Well in an interview i don't remember well where i see it,someone of the cdprojekt team said that the game will have a combo system.

One of the E3 interviews described it, I've seen so many that I forget which. It sounds just like Witcher 2, except with much smoother transitions. There is no combo meter or special inputs to unleash combos.

Oh man.. I'm imagining Geralt to have the combo/fight mechanics of Death from Darksiders 2... That would be pure pure awesome.

Lunge, swing, dodge, backflip (or pirouette in this case )

I miss the lunge thrust :sad:

And I hope the add combos to enemies too, the one thing that really bugged the hell out of me in TW2 was the fact that most enemies had only one or two slash animations(scoiatel and the kingslayers had realy cool combos)

Top Bottom