Dismemberment in TW3

+
Ahem, if you cut off a limb of an ememy it's a killing animation you see. With the VATS system gone there won't be any disabling features "caused by player skill" (e.g. by aiming) anymore in the game. Everything we can hope for now are some predefined, not-skill based animations in fights based on the question whether we used the right oil or not during preparation....

Still sad about the VATS system. Best feature they originally announced for the whole game... :(

While the normal grunts and bandits won't like have these things, that doesn't mean bosses and monster hunts won't have special weaknesses you can exploit.

"What we showed at the Microsoft conference was the easy way to play. We only had five minutes to show, so we had to play on easy and make the fights go really fast. You saw lots of dismemberment. It's not going to be so easy to cut somebody in half when the game comes out. We were showing off some features there.

"I was reading some feedback after the conference and people were saying, 'oh, that looks so easy,' but it ain't gonna be that easy."

at eurogamer

I like it too, but I hope it is that easy, at least for all the new people that want to play this game on easy mode.
Cutting fools in half should not be a chore for the casual gamer, just saying.

Well I wouldn't be so sure.

If you're trying to accommodate everybody, usually you end up accommodating nobody. Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age 2 is a perfect example of that. It's no coincidence that Bioware rpg games began getting worse and worse just as they tried bringing more "casuals" to their franchises.

If you're trying to accommodate everybody, usually you end up accommodating nobody. Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age 2 is a perfect example of that.

You have to options:

Trying to accommodate everybody with intelligence and reasonable limits

or

Trying to accommodate everybody with a $ sign graved in every eye

Could not agree more with @wichat.

You guys have to understand that CDPR will try to sell more copies. It is what they should do. So they need some "casual" gamers as you name them. I don't understand what is the problem with that, it is not like they CDPR will mess up the game. That's why they give us little snippets of the systems they think about using. And us here on the forums, should focus more on giving advice on what they should or should not do, instead of calling them out, on appealing to "casual" gamers.

Could not agree more with @wichat.

You guys have to understand that CDPR will try to sell more copies. It is what they should do. So they need some "casual" gamers as you name them. I don't understand what is the problem with that, it is not like they CDPR will mess up the game. That's why they give us little snippets of the systems they think about using. And us here on the forums, should focus more on giving advice on what they should or should not do, instead of calling them out, on appealing to "casual" gamers.

We'll see what you'll say if Witcher 4 or Cyberpunk becomes dumbed down RPG 20 hours long so every casual gamer can enojy it :). Let's go in Bioware footsepts, let's make sequels for players who didn't play previous games, that always ends well, right ? :D

If you're trying to accommodate everybody, usually you end up accommodating nobody. Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age 2 is a perfect example of that. It's no coincidence that Bioware rpg games began getting worse and worse just as they tried bringing more "casuals" to their franchises.

You are right with DA2, but I dont think Mass Effect 3 is a good example, yes they did fuck up the endings, but from gameplay perspective it was actually improvement over ME2.

We'll see what you'll say if Witcher 4 or Cyberpunk becomes dumbed down RPG 20 hours long so every casual gamer can enojy it :). Let's go in Bioware footsepts, let's make sequels for players who didn't play previous games, that always ends well, right ? :D

I really don't understand that attitude. But it is yours to have. I don't think CDPR will ever want to make a dumb game. They are gamers, not simply a corporation dedicated in making money. But we are off topic.

May I assume that you don't know at all how CDPR works? Are we talking about the same CDPR? are sure?

May I assume that you don't know at all how CDPR works? Are we talking about the same CDPR? are sure?

Actually I live 2 hours away from CDPR HQ and I do know how they work. Or worked untill TW3 came around, cuz it changed a little since then. For example, their marketing budget for Witcher 3 is now twice as big as the budget for game developement itself. Their main marketing target is USA and its players (it wasn't so before), most of them didn't read the books or even played previous games. Similar to how Bioware tried to entice new players to their franchises.

So maybe that's why my attitude is the way it is, I'm just a little worried that they will go Bioware on us. They sure as hell are making first steps towards it.

It's not gonna happen with Witcher 3, dobutful, but it just might happen in future tittles if they'll want to bring more and more casuals.

@Riordan1

ME3 was in my opinion a dumb TPP shooter, not a RPG like ME2 pretended to be or ME1 was.

Last edited:
@kagannpwnz So did you actually work for CDPR as a direct employee or as a contractor? I don't see how residing in close proximity to their HQ gives you insight to the development of TW3 or its budget. What is your source for your claim that the marketing budget is twice that of the game development, and that their main target is the US? I would imagine the multiple publishers CDPR are working with will pay a big portion of marketing costs for a healthy cut of the sales.

Don't get me wrong. I have the same fears that you have. I've seen countless studios either forced to make worse and worse games, eventually being closed down after being gutted, or just become an empty husk of what they once were. Bioware, who I would've said was my favourite developer of all time 10 years ago, have certainly fallen down from their perch with no signs of recovery. I think it's important to give CDPR the benefit of the doubt and reserve judgement, especially judgement based on impressions from work-in-progress footage of a game that's 8 months away from release. If they somehow turn out like Bioware did, I will be right there with you with my tears and pitchfork.

I do not know much about advertising budgets and / or production and innovation. But at this point, the disposition of which CDPR budget has done, is detrimental to the quality of game itself? What should CDPR invest from that budget other than not be merchandising exactly? Best computer? best technical? more personal? best toilets? Best candy machines to encourage the devs and other authorized personnel? More where?

And what would mean less promotional trips? fewer staff dedicated to follow the opinions of customers twiter or facebook or whatever? less wasted time hanging photos of their travels? less statuettes? Less where?

Sorry, I'm very naive in this world.

Last edited:
You can't blame EA for Bioware's incompetence.

You can to a certain degree. Despite Bioware's insistence that EA has no creative input in their games, things like strict deadlines definitely factor into the final state of the product. And given how EA owns Bioware, if they were uncomfortable with certain elements of a game that's being developed, I don't see how Bioware can refuse to at least revisit it, let alone not change it. Perhaps the interference from suits and higher ups aren't as bad as, let's say the movie industry, but I've no doubt it's still there.

Just look at how EA wants to force micro-transactions into every one of their games. How could developers resist such a mandate when they ultimately have no control? Someday, I hope Bioware can afford to buy themselves out and return to their roots. That's probably never going to happen though. EA will probably close it first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom