Is TW3 getting downgraded for the sake of consoles?

+

Is TW3 getting downgraded for the sake of consoles?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • Don't really care. It's for the developer to decide.

Votes: 29 32.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do not get somethings, i will play the game, no just watch a movie, si even if the game got a "downgrade", what is the matter ? people stop of play GTA V o Watch Dogs for the downgrade ? NOOOOO !! and that what i talking about, believe in CDRED, they have done 2 great games, and they are a bigger company than before, so, no way that they will screw this.
Third time's a charm.;)

Of course it's not just about graphics. I obivously can only speak for myself, but I'm also a PC gamer because you're not confined to, by comparison inferior input methods in regards to the limited number of buttons or the general lack of accuracy or precision when using controllers.
It's partly because of those limitations - and the cancerous less-tedium-more-convenience-mindset - that the gameplay often gets downgraded or simplified to oblivion as well, which in turn doesn't go down well with a lot of ye olde school PC-centric gamers, including myself.
A game doesn't need to achieve photo-realism in the graphics department - for me, that's only a nice to have - but if the downgrade also includes certain game mechanics being essentially streamlined for the dumb masses without the option of rolling back... for me, that's the point where the developer steps over that line and isn't really eligible anymore to claim that the "PC is the lead platform" or that the "PC is getting a proper PC version".
Very important point made here that's often overlooked, I think.

Downgrading a game doesn't just mean a loss in graphical fidelity but often (way too often) a loss of overall complexity and sophistication as well.
Elaborate control schemes get condensed to work with a controller, sophisticated game mechanics that are beneficial to immersion get 'overhauled' to make them less tedious, integration of cross-platform features like being able to play the game with a tablet or a smartphone (yes, I'm considering this a downgrade too) and so on.

Now, I don't necessarily see CDPR going down that dirty dirty road with The Witcher 3 as well, but you can't deny the first little signs of downgrade as seen in the E3 gameplay demos either (and yes, I have seen the 'WORK IN PROGRESS' watermark on top).

You guys do realise they chose the PS4 & Xbox One because they can deliver the experience the way they want to only on those platforms along with the PC. Besides, the main platform for the Witcher games is and always will be PC. If they think they can deliver the same experience or better on another platform and get some extra revenue for that they will do it. Graphics and framerate will be the only major things that separate the base versions of the games. They will have the same content, same expansive open world, same quests, AI, combat, everything. Hell, even the port of the first game, which was called "Rise Of The White Wolf" was going to have been an overhauled and totally badass version of the first for PS3 & Xbox 360.
As you can see, even the combat and so on was going to be very similar to what we should expect from the Wild Hunt. If they can deliver the best experience on a platform, they will do it.

Last edited:
Of course it's not just about graphics. I obivously can only speak for myself, but I'm also a PC gamer because you're not confined to, by comparison inferior input methods in regards to the limited number of buttons or the general lack of accuracy or precision when using controllers.
It's partly because of those limitations - and the cancerous less-tedium-more-convenience-mindset - that the gameplay often gets downgraded or simplified to oblivion as well, which in turn doesn't go down well with a lot of ye olde school PC-centric gamers, including myself.
A game doesn't need to achieve photo-realism in the graphics department - for me, that's only a nice to have - but if the downgrade also includes certain game mechanics being essentially streamlined for the dumb masses without the option of rolling back... for me, that's the point where the developer steps over that line and isn't really eligible anymore to claim that the "PC is the lead platform" or that the "PC is getting a proper PC version".

Can't say it any better myself. Completely agreed.

That's besides the point, they would have published it by themelves if they could as they are doing now with The Wild Hunt. Besides, publishers only care for money so that's nothing new. Also, you might wanna get off your high horse, even if you are a mod it doesn't mean you can go around dishing justice by your terms. I was not attacking anyone and if anyone says something that might be interpreted even slightly insulting to you, you go ahead and call it "personal attack". Not everything you take as insulting is a "personal attack", then again, no one else will stand up to mods with a hard-on for dishing out kicks and bans at the slightest thing they find insulting. I mean, seriously, what are you? The internet police? Ban me for all I care, this is pretty common anyway on forums, give a man power and you will reveal his true character.
:comeatmebro:

Not quite, you may want to read this article:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-06-seeing-red-the-story-of-cd-projekt
The port of TW1 was pushed by Atari, not CDPR, it was subcontracted to someone else, it was a disaster, and it caused CDPR a lot of harm.
Yes, because they chose to trust a publisher and you see how well that ended up. And besides, the combat looked way better in concept so you're off-topic. Thanks for totally proving me wrong in every way, you really touched every single point I made and countered it harder than a dive off a rooftop. :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a feeling you're misinterpreting Dragonbird's post, @Malvus. All she's saying is that the port was not handled well. I've no idea where you see an accusation of your post being interpreted as a personal attack. Either way, if you have issues with a moderator, you can contact @Keth and discuss things in private, as per the forum rules and regulations, which you are required to read. I would also like to ask you to calm down, and try to be more polite in your future posts (again, part of the rules and regulations.)

Now, let's get back to the topic at hand, okay?

Damn, son. Relax. DB wasn't attacking you at all.
Guess what? Neither was I but he decided that I was regardless and trying to make me look like the bad guy. I didn't insult anyone, and I kept it civil. I didn't flame anyone, I made clear points that were interpreted wrong. It always happens and it flips me off really badly. Especially since a mod with a hard-on decides to flip me off the boards because he can't carry an argument and he's way too "insulted" that he's just plain wrong. This is exactly why I do not like forums. Frankly, a brothel on fire wouldn't even begin to describe the amount of pointless arguments, off-topic replies to some threads here and some of those threads themselvs. Instead of the mods doing something about those they decide to get hard-ons for flinging off everyone who pisses them off on a basis of "personal attacks". Bloody perfect.

I have a feeling you're misinterpreting Dragonbird's post, @Malvus . All she's saying is that the port was not handled well. I've no idea where you see an accusation of your post being interpreted as a personal attack. Either way, if you have issues with a moderator, you can contact @Keth and discuss things in private, as per the forum rules and regulations, which you are required to read. I would also like to ask you to calm down, and try to be more polite in your future posts (again, part of the rules and regulations.)

Now, let's get back to the topic at hand, okay?
The topic at hand is redundant regardless, this isn't Ubisoft or EA. As the article on eurogamer she posted said, they spent 14 hours per day on all days of the week, CDPR gives 200% for each of their games and they care. If this was published or developed by Ubisoft which are the biggest liars in the industry or by EA which are the greatest thieves in the industry then you could justify 100 topics like this. As it stands with CDPR, they are based on nothing and they are straight up flamebait. I'm done here, speculate and discuss all you like anyway, in the end it won't matter because you are not developing the game regardless and this is CDPR. Have fun with your usless thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Malvus I agree participating in forum suxs because people get flamey when they disagree with you. Also, moderators are only human. They are not perfect. I've seen a moderator abusing his power on me before (which he didn't penalize the troll but given me a warning/ban instead). I had really agree moderator abusing their powers is really frustrating. This is not to say DB is abusing her power. But moderator can have an opinion but let's not being biased over their opinions. You should just chill out.

Neither give offense, nor take offense even when you believe it has been given. Given the recent history of this thread, that is not just good advice, it is direction that the moderators will enforce.

Please note that retaliation is correctly sanctioned just as if it were an original offense, sometimes more severely, because it takes retaliation to escalate a disagreement into a flame fight.

Haven't read the whole thread. But isn't it obvious that the game is downgraded for consoles? Examples are the "recommended potion" mechanic, the whole witcher sense thing, the bottomless supply of potions, etc.

Haven't read the whole thread. But isn't it obvious that the game is downgraded for consoles? Examples are the "recommended potion" mechanic, the whole witcher sense thing, the bottomless supply of potions, etc.

I wouldn't blame consoles for this. These things are there mainly to bring new people to the franchise, not because of consoles. That machine is just pc with gamepad. It's the same if you plug gamepad to your pc.
Recommendation of potions isn't downgrading the game in any way. It just makes it more simple for people who would otherwise found the game too complicated. I'm not justifying it to be clear! I am pc gamer and don't like these mechanics, but I don't mind them and if, thanks to them, more people will play the game, I'm all for it. Downgrading would be worse graphics, making the world smaller, not interactive, using less animations and so on. Not giving player more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom