Predicted witcher 3 system specs? Can I run it .

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 770 and i5 4690k. I'm pretty confident my build will run this at 1080p 60FPS with important things maxed. Unimportant things like depth of field, bloom, ubersampling, motion blur I usually turn off. Depth of field actually impacted FPS in The Witcher 2 at times and it really adds nothing to the game.

Look at the specs for upcoming game like Assassin's Creed Unity
Minimum PC Specs:
Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.3 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.0 GHz processor
6 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 or AMD Radeon HD 7970 (2 GB VRAM) video card
Recommended PC Specs:
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or better processor
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 or AMD Radeon R9 290X (3 GB VRAM) video card
Additionally, the following requirements must be met:
Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8/8.1 (64-bit versions only)
DirectX Version 11
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers
50 GB available HDD space
I'd say we can expect the witcher 3 to require at least those and maybe even higher cpu and gpu to run with ultra settings.
This is from a company that does not care about PC users and a producer on AC has said "Optimizing for PC isn't important because they can just buy a new graphics card if it isn't running fast enough" and who disabled graphical options in Watch Dogs with the label "This is for PC who cares" http://i.imgur.com/xn6KQO9.jpg

I would really not use these specs as any sort of indication for The Witcher 3 due to that.

This is from a company that does not care about PC users and a producer on AC has said "Optimizing for PC isn't important because they can just buy a new graphics card if it isn't running fast enough" and who disabled graphical options in Watch Dogs with the label "This is for PC who cares" http://i.imgur.com/xn6KQO9.jpg

I would really not use these specs as any sort of indication for The Witcher 3 due to that.

True; on the other hand, they may not be a lot different.

Intel Core i5, Core i7, and Xeon CPUs in the Sandy Bridge and later architectures, and AMD FX-8xxx CPUs, excel at memory bandwidth: they can move stuff to the GPU faster than earlier and lesser CPUs, and that is much of what the CPU will be called on to do. I expect these to be the "recommended" CPU configuration. I am only guessing, but I don't think I'll be that far off.

I suspect that for the combination of (1920x1080, high settings, 60fps) you're going to need a substantial GPU. nVidia 670 or 760; AMD 7970 or Tahiti. I also suspect that lesser GPUs down to the nVidia 660 or AMD Pitcairn will render the game competently but not with all the eye candy.

But this is the real difference between CDPR and Ubisoft: CDPR is proposing to give you a game that will knock your poleyns off if you put it on a high-end rig. Ubisoft, well, "PC only, who cares".

Hey Guys. My Gtx 460 has dead. I'm looking forward ton buying a new graphics card, but i'm thinking to get one- so i can run The Witcher 3 at medium specs. I don't have much money, and i wanted to ask your opinion about the Gtx 750 TI. Other than that my PC specs are :AMD Phenom II X4 925 processor 2.80 GHz, 4 GB ram, and 550 w PSU. Thanks in advance

Hey Guys. My Gtx 460 has dead. I'm looking forward ton buying a new graphics card, but i'm thinking to get one- so i can run The Witcher 3 at medium specs. I don't have much money, and i wanted to ask your opinion about the Gtx 750 TI. Other than that my PC specs are :AMD Phenom II X4 925 processor 2.80 GHz, 4 GB ram, and 550 w PSU. Thanks in advance

750 TI maybe ok for medium(close or better than gtx470?)
- when we don't know specs for W3- who knows

If you can wait for 960gtx in 2015 and W 3 to decide(and more time to collect money)
960 have probably 192-bit bus, 2 or 3gb vram and perform close to a 970(clocked of course)

750ti is still better than the new consoles. I'd think you'd be able to run the game with good looking settings (The Griffin gameplay was on Xbox One so at least that quality) at 30FPS+. You could maybe find a used 760 too.

I hope to be able to run the game with my rig. I guessI will need a graphic card change. I want to play 1080 maximum settings.

INTEL i7-4770K + SCYTHE MUGEN 4 - GIGABYTE Z97X-UDH5 - 8GB DDRIII 1600 G.SKILL - GIGABYTE GTX 770 OC 4GB - ZALMAN Z11 PLUS
SAMSUNG SATA III EVO SSD 250GB - SAMSUNG SATA II SpPOINT 500 GB - BE QUIET L8 PURE POWER 630W MODULAR - LG 22EA63V IPS

Last edited:
I hope to be able to run the game with my rig. I guessI will need a graphic card change. I want to play 1080 maximum settings.

INTEL i7-4770K + SCYTHE MUGEN 4 - GIGABYTE Z97X-UDH5 - 8GB DDRIII 1600 G.SKILL - GIGABYTE GTX 770 OC 4GB - ZALMAN Z11 PLUS
SAMSUNG SATA III EVO SSD 250GB - SAMSUNG SATA II SpPOINT 500 GB - BE QUIET L8 PURE POWER 630W MODULAR - LG 22EA63V IPS
I'm on about the same rig as you but with an i5 since an i7 is overkill for me and a 2GB 770 since the 770 can't properly use 4GBs like some newer cards can. I think without ubersampling on it will be fine.

Last edited:
I'm gaming on a Asus PB287Q monitor. I'm curious if anything can run Witcher 3 in a 3840x2160 resolution.

I installed my new GTX 970 today and it can barely run The Witcher 2 at 30FPS with this resolution. :huh:

I hope a second card in SLI will be enough.

The GTX 980 is going to be a great card, but the GTX 970 is a real good value for the money and probably the card of choice for that reason.

I ran The Witcher 2 on an Intel 2600k on an ASUS P8Z68 - VPro MOBO, 16 GB of 1600 Mhz Ram and Nvidia 560Ti card. Had everything maxed and the Blur stuff turned off. The frame rates varied from 30 FPS to 60 or so FPS. I upgraded the card in June '10 to a GTX 680, and then upgraded to the ASUS Z97 - Pro MOBO and i7 4770k processor, OC'd to 4.5 Ghz. and running 16 gb of 2133 Mhz Ram. I ran the first One on an eMachines with a Pentium D 945 ( 3.4 Ghz ) and Nividia 9800GT card and that did fine.

Just a general question that I suspect might be hard to quantify - how much of a difference is required to run a game at 60fps in 1440p, instead of 1080p, and is the difference in resolutions significant? I'll buy a computer around February from scratch, with TW3 in mind, and lately I've been thinking about the screen and how demanding it'll be on the rest of the hardware.

Just a general question that I suspect might be hard to quantify - how much of a difference is required to run a game at 60fps in 1440p, instead of 1080p, and is the difference in resolutions significant? I'll buy a computer around February from scratch, with TW3 in mind, and lately I've been thinking about the screen and how demanding it'll be on the rest of the hardware.
How much of a difference in hardware? There's 1440P tests on a lot of cards. When I was building my PC most of the videos did a 1080p benchmark and a 1440p benchmark for the same GPU. You should somewhat be able to tell if the graphics card you choose is good for 1440p based on FPS benchmarks in demanding games.

As for a difference between 1080p and 1440p I can't say. I've never used a 1440p monitor. Personally, If I was going to get a second monitor then I would get a 1080p monitor with a high refresh rate (So I can take advantage framerates higher than 60. 144Hz is popular). It's also really simple to downsample from 4K and I've done it with a few games using Nvidia's new tool.

77% bigger rez. Google some GPU benchmarks to see how much of a difference it makes in games.

@Dr4g0nfir3
I'm running 2x SLI 680's and they're only 2GB Cards (Which is not really enough for 4K) and TW2 probably averages around 40-50FPS at 4K.
I'd assume SLI 970's should be able to pull of at LEAST 60FPS, and I would have presumed even higher because the 970 is much stronger than a 680 and the additional VRAM.

As for TW3, if it's as demanding as TW2 was at release on current GPU's, you'll be lucky to even get 30FPS at Max/4K. For reference SLI 970's can only just pull off 30FPS/Max/4K in Crysis 3, and I assume TW3 will be even more demanding again.

@eliharel
It's usually anywhere between 25-40% more power required to achieve the same framerates at 1440p compared to 1080p, the % variance depending heavily on the engine.
Frankly I think the Image Quality difference is very obvious, just like the difference between 1440p and 4K is another obvious jump again, especially when it's a PC because you're sitting so close to your screen.
However whether it's "worth it" or not entirely depends on how much money you have to burn. We won't truly know how demanding TW3 will be until we finally see some Recommended Specs, but I doubt it'll be cheap. I think achieving Max/60FPS/1080p on a single card is going to be a struggle enough as it is and then moving to 1440p and 4K is a whole other ordeal. I personally believe you'll probably be looking at a very strong 2-way SLI setup at the minimum to pull off 1440p/60/Max, but naturally it's all speculation of course.

I definitely recommend 1440p if you can afford it. It is sooooooo much better then 1080p, and of course it is because its such a higher resolution. As was said above though, you are taking a taxing game(the witcher 3) and making it even harder to run when you up resolutions like that, so you will need the card(s) to match.

That being said, I would rather play at medium or high 1440p then ultra 1080p. So far though I have only hit very few games that I had to turn down any settings on to get 60fps on my 780ti(bf4 and crysis 3).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom