Interviews and Articles Part 2

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Below are a few somewhat interesting bits and pieces from a newly available interview (part 1, part 2) with Damien Monnier (Senior Game Designer at CDPR) from Igromir (3-5 October 2014). I'm not translating the whole thing since it's mostly rehashing of previously known facts.

-Q: How finished is the game at this point of time?
-A: It's 100% finished and fully playable. We're just polishing it.

-Q: Will there be massive battles?
-A: Yes, there are several really epic battles. I can't tell you much, but they will involve hundreds of people fighting.

-Q: Will we see dwarven children and females?
-A: I don't think you will see dwarven children, but probably you will see females.
Thanks for sharing, great news!

I'm wondering about some other things, though.
Namely, this part:
CM: Will we be able to change, improve or customize Geralt's horse?

DM: can not improve, but you will have the opportunity to choose the horse on which you want to ride. That is, initially through the story of Geralt will have a horse Roach. But you will have the opportunity to steal another horse, or you can use Aksy -action you saw in the presentation - to tame the horse. For example, if you walk through the world and see the wild horse, then you can go to her and enchant the sign and it will be yours. Or you will see some other horse, then you too can get it.
Does this mean horses won't have stats after all? And what about the horse armor that comes with the first DLC, will it be the only one in the game? It seems so...

...and this:
CM: Let's get started. So the first question. Will elixirs work on the exterior of Geralt? For instance, as it was in the first part?

DM: If you about whether we can somehow change the appearance of witch, then, in general, yes. I will not spoil, but, for example, Geralt will be stubble and beard, which I really like. Also, throughout the game you will find a piece of gear that will be useful for customizing the hero. Geralt is, Geralt, he invariably, but you will be able to choose what he will wear. In the game, a plurality of sets of armor which consists of parts. And for some of them you have to fight, some you will find while traveling, and something you can do yourself. Customization will depend on you, as well as weapons.
Is this a question about potions affecting Geralt's face (just as we've seen in the '52 and a half' trailer)? If so, that's some evasive answer right there. Hard to tell from the google translated text. Also, beard growth confirmed again?

Last edited:
"For example, if you walk through the world and see the wild horse, then you can go to her and enchant the sign and it will be yours."

Why is this so funny to me. Anyway, makes me wonder. Will you then have to ride the horse bareback and go buy a saddle or will a saddle just magically appear?

Also, I don't think it doesn't mean horses won't have stats. Red Dead Redemption had wild horses you could tame and each breed had their own ups and downs.

Is this a question about potions affecting Geralt's face (just as we've seen in the '52 and a half' trailer)? If so, that's some evasive answer right there. Hard to tell from the google translated text. Also, beard growth confirmed again?
I'm not sure that Damien was evasive on purpose when answering this question. He might have just misunderstood it, I wouldn't bet that the person talking to him spoke perfect English; this could have introduced all sorts of misunderstandings and confusion.

He doesn't say anything about beard growth, he only says that Geralt will have beard.

Last edited:
And the DLC announced allows us to shave and change hair styles. It only makes sense to shave if there is a beard, and to shave more than once if it grows over time.

Okay so I translated a bit of the article. There's a lot to translate though and it's 3am so I'll post what I've done and finish the rest later, if people actually want me to translate any more? [Also I translated this really quickly without checking my English properly so sorry if anything sounds weird!]

Senior writer for the stories in the Witcher world explains the Witcher universe [to us newcomers.]
Senior Writer: Jakub Szamalek
Interviewer: This time, you said you are in charge of the script for The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, so could you give us a summary again of the story?

Jakub Szamalek: In a nutshell, the story of this game is about the main character, Geralt, and his surrounding friends. He is thinking about how he can protect those close to him, and his focus is devoted to that. Additionally, Geralt’s role as a monster slayer also has a part to play in the story and environment of the game. As a character he has two sides, and Geralt’s special strengths and powers cause people to fear his existence, which allowed us [writers] to think of interesting storylines.

Interviewer: Did you base the storylines in the game on the content in the original novels by Andrzej Sapowski?

Szamalek: The game characters’ appearances and the game’s settings are based off of the original novels written by Sapowski, and our own creations are intertwined with the original novels, however everything in the script is an entirely new creation by CD Projekt Red.

Interviewer: The Witcher 3 is a game that can be played as a stand-alone game, even for those players who don’t know the Witcher series, but I was wondering how you managed to achieve this?

Szamalek: This game is the 3rd in the series, however even newcomers can play this game without any problems, and to achieve this we took into consideration many different mechanisms. To begin with, at the start of the game, the prologue progresses slowly, answering questions such as “what is the Witcher?” and “who is Geralt?” as well as the connections between characters, which is something that has to be understood in order to follow the story. If you do the prologue and the tutorial, I think it will be possible for players to become immersed and accustomed to the main story and world of the Witcher. Furthermore, characters that you meet and places you go to will have information provided on them in a glossary, and outside of the game, information can be found on the official site of the Witcher 3. Finally, if you purchase the books on the Witcher, you will surely have a much deeper understanding of the Witcher universe.

Interviewer: In the gameplay demo, the female character “Ciri,” was explained to us but in the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, there are also another two main female characters who make an appearance, “Yennefer,” and “Triss.” Can you tell us what you know about these female characters?

Szamalek: Yennefer is someone that Geralt loves very dearly, but they also have a very complex relationship, and argue about many things. Simply, because these two have been apart for many years, this game will serve as their reunion. For fans of the Witcher, this is something they are very excited about, and even those who are not aware of these two, I am sure that they will soon become interested in their relationship.

Triss is both Geralt and Yennefer’s friend, but in the previous Witcher game, it was possible for Geralt to have a romantic relationship with Triss, and therefore in this game, we have been able to write an interesting love triangle.

Finally, Ciri is, out of the three women, the most mysterious of them all. In order to become a Witcher, she received training from Geralt, and he raised her as if she were his adoptive daughter, even though they are not blood related. Ciri has a special kind of hidden power that causes various things to happen, but I would like people to play the game and see this for themselves.
In the Witcher 3, there are absolutely no Cinderella like heroines, and they are all characters with complex personalities. Through Geralt, players can become involved with these women, which will help to solve and reveal past events.

Man, every Story interview just gets me more and more pumped. Even if the stuff that's said is what you'd expect to be common sense, it's nice to see the Writers just have such a strong grip on these characters and the Witcher world and everything they say just feels so natural. Which just increases that chance that they aren't going to fuck anyone/anything up.

Also, I don't think it doesn't mean horses won't have stats. Red Dead Redemption had wild horses you could tame and each breed had their own ups and downs.

Your horse will probably have very basic "stats". As you implied, in RDR certain horses were faster/slower and whenever you broke in a Horse they would run out of "sprint" energy faster and the bar was only 3/4 full, and then as you rode them more and more you'd eventually get a full bar and their energy would last longer.
It would be a tad disappointing if the Horses just have nothing, and you can tame any Horse and it'll be as effective as Roach or any other. I'd like to assume they'll at least have something basic like RDR's system. However I know at one stage they were talking about stats on Horses, so I guess perhaps that's been scrapped, unless when they said "stats" they were never really talking about anything complicated anyway.

CM: What about hunger?

DM: I'm not sure that it is needed in our game. It would be suitable for most games of this genre, where you need to survive and to find food. As a game designer I can say that it would be very irritating when you are in a constant need of provisions to maintain health and stamina and have to eat with hunger coming back after a few hours. And you'll probably need to go back and find some apples to regain strength, for instance.

CM: Is this game mechanic difficult to implement?

DM: Yes, it can cause issues and inconveniences. After all, our main goal is not to irritate players. Having a need to eat every few hours can be extremely tedious, especially if you have no food with you, or if you have to carry a lot of it around, leaving no room for useful items. Thus, as a game designer I would not say that we would take the challenge of implementing it. Who knows? Maybe we will some day.

CM: Will there be quests with a time limit?

DM: We have come to a conclusion that time limits can be tedious and annoying to players. As far as I remember, there are no such quests currently in the game. But that could be untrue due to a huge amount of quests present in the game so it's hard to say for sure. Even now we're adding side quests and that is something very difficult to polish and keep track of.

I don't like how he said "we don't want to irritate players" several times. When they made The Witcher, they didn't treat the players like little brats. Even Mass Effect 2 had missions with a time limit. I'm annoyed when the games get casualized to cater to new players.

I think you need to look at the topics he's talking about when it comes to that.

They're discussing Hunger and Time Limits on Quests, in those instances what he's saying is totally valid. In the first Witcher they also didn't instigate time limits on quests or force you to eat every X minutes and I'm sure they didn't do it for the exact same reason of not wanting to annoy players or introduce a tedious mechanic, the difference back then being is nobody bothered to ask those questions in an interview and you never go to hear a Dev response about it.

I don't like how he said "we don't want to irritate players" several times. When they made The Witcher, they didn't treat the players like little brats. Even Mass Effect 2 had missions with a time limit. I'm annoyed when the games get casualized to cater to new players.
Whatever, this is great news to me. This dev clearly knows what makes a game fun in general. I agree with him 100%, time limits suck, hunger sucks and stamina bars if not done well fucking suck too!

Last edited:
It's an RPG you are supose to enjoy it at your own pace, also from my experience time limits can be both annoying and frustrating. Adding hunger adds too much realism, after all this is a video game not a real life simulator.

and stamina bars fucking suck too!

Well sometimes Stamina Bars are a necessary evil. A "breath" bar for underwater swimming is basically just that and it's definitely necessary. RDR's implementation of a stamina bar for Horses so you couldn't just infinitely ride at max speed is necessary and Dragon's Dogma that stamina bar is intricately tied to gameplay mechanics and again necessary.

Ultimately there's definitely cases where streamlining or casualization is bad. Certain aspects of TW1 > TW2 were streamlined, some good, some bad, but it has to be observed on a case by case basis.

I don't see the need for hunger in a game like The Witcher. And anyways, people can impose some sort of hunger system on themselves. It is a roleplaying game after all. If you think you've been out in the wild too long and Geralt may be hungry then go to the local tavern. Same with time limits. If you think a quests contents is so important and urgent then drop whatever you are doing and go do it. Time limits usually are annoying in open world games. It's an RPG, you can roleplay and immerse yourself through that. I know plenty of people who do what I just said with games like STALKER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom