Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Changes must be made now, when the game is unfinished. And trailers, surprisingly, are always rushed when an excuse is needed.

It's now when people should get upset, not when the game is released so that we have to wait a month until a patch has to be released to correct something.

If you wish that there is no feedback, then you want the game to die.
I think you're making extreme claims. Although, I agree that dissent to any product can be good as long as it's constructive.

Communitacion with fans has more effect earlier in development. The later people complain, the more difficult it will be to change things.

If people see something they don't like, they must complain now, not wait until the damage is done.

Was there ever a case since the inception of multiplatform developement where a PR representative or otherwise company affiliated came out openly and said , "hey guys, don't worry about the quality of some of the footage, this was just coming from the 6 months old non-optimised build of the version for the consoles"? If there ever was such a case I honestly can't remember.
There would be much less shitstorming without a doubt if developers would be more transparent and specific about the promotional stuff they make public. But for some reason (rule no. 2) they simply cannot, and just let the shitstorms go by mostly uncommentated and without addressing specific gripes in fear of pissing off other parties. Apparently it's already too confidential and dangerous to properly tag screenshots with the platform and build they were taken from.

The bottom line is that CDPR might have been rebels once but if you become a multiplatform developer you unfortunately have to play ball with M$ and Sony which involves all sorts of shady business (rule no. 1 and 2) you don't always can wriggle yourself out of.

I don't see CDPR going the way of Crytek (yet) but they're the perfect warning example for a once mighty PC centric cutting edge developer fallen low because of getting into the multiplatform development business and the concessions to the consoles this entails.
This.
If there isn't and won't be any downgrade because of parity or whatever like CDPR assured us then why is it that they can't just say specifically if this screenshot or that footage is from a X months old build running on PC, PS4 or XBoxOne?

If it's not because of contractual obligation to Microsoft and Sony then I honestly don't know either why CDPR would withhold those specifics.

It certainly would save them a lot of trouble and shut up a lot of the criticism but apparently they rather take all the flak from the torch and pitchfork wielding mob screaming "downgrade" and "parity" than to piss off more console-orientated shareholders or -potentially- miss out on a lot of console sales because screenshots and footage labelled with "PC" would look overwhelmingly better. Or whatever the reason for this non-disclosure is.

And this comes from a long time console user by the way, who wouldn't mind if the PC version would differ considerably from either the PS4 or XBoxOne version. I'm always for utilizing each platform to its fullest potential, even if that means that the console versions don't look up to snuff with the PCs.

Last edited:
Communitacion with fans has more effect earlier in development. The later people complain, the more difficult it will be to change things.

If people see something they don't like, they must complain now, not wait until the damage is done.
I don't think complain is the best word. Rather, the fans need to hold the company accountable.

I suspect that we will see a lot of new stuff in January. I doubt we will see something big in December, maybe some Christmas Witcher themed card or something like that :) I hope that devs can get some rest during holidays, so they can collect some energy for the final push in January.

It's literally in the game though, those hidden features even have an "E3" Prefix.

The Worse, creator of the mod on Guru3d: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390114

Has made massive discoveries/improvements. He has discovered that almost all of the shaders and improvements seen in 2012 and 2013 are still in the game files, such as the e3 2012 explosions. For now he has managed to implement dynamic shadows from headlights, the increased rain density, increased NPC density, as well as 2012 e3 bloom and lens flare.
When he manages to unpack certain files, he will be able to activate everything, such as POMs, etc.

It remains meaningless. Maybe they are there because they are unfinished work or performed poorly in testing but were not removed.

Reading another developer's code tells you almost nothing about why it was delivered the way it was.

Jumping to conclusions, however, is a sport that gets you great press.

---------- Updated at 01:15 PM ----------

I don't think complain is the best word. Rather, the fans need to hold the company accountable.

How do you propose to do that, when you are not officers, directors, or even shareholders. Nobody is accountable to you for any aspect of CDPR's business, including the game.

It remains meaningless. Maybe they are there because they are unfinished work or performed poorly in testing but were not removed.

Reading another developer's code tells you almost nothing about why it was delivered the way it was.

I didn't make any claim, don't shoot the messenger. I only posted these because you weren't aware of the fact that they exist in the game.

I didn't make any claim, don't shoot the messenger. I only posted these because you weren't aware of the fact that they exist in the game.
However, why make your game visually worse? :p In fact, I remember reading that activating the E3 settings makes it run BETTER.

But let's try to remain on topic, lest this thread be closed :p

Last edited:
That makes no sense. First, they denied any downgrade from E3. Second, people have played with those options and there is no problem. Third, they also removed performance improvements.

Watchdogs was quite terrible performancewise. The would have removed the entire game if what you say was true.

You are grasping at straws.

How do you propose to do that, when you are not officers, directors, or even shareholders. Nobody is accountable to you for any aspect of CDPR's business, including the game.

We are CDPR clients. The client is always right, because it's US that pay for their products. No officer, director or shareholder will save you if your company doesn't keep clients happy.

Oh, I was aware, but I chose to assign no credibility to them. A modder not associated with the project and having no knowledge of the engineering and business decisions behind it chooses to make an accusation that features were withheld for the reason of degrading the game. That's what I mean by jumping to conclusions.

---------- Updated at 01:15 PM ----------

Two effects at least were in the trailers from E3 2013 and weren't on the final game. That is not a conclusion.

If i want to defend CDPR i would not ever do that defending Ubisoft, unless i want people not preordering the game.

However, why make your game visually worse? :p In fact, I remember reading that activating the E3 settings makes it run BETTER.

I can only speak for myself, but yes, I have played the game, first without and then with the E3 features, and the game looks a lot better with the E3 features on, but the performance gain is because the guy who made the mod also changed some other setting, kind of optimized a bunch of settings.

The trailer and the recent screenshots lacked any sort of PhysX hair physics that was promised, either its console footage, PhysX was axed for PC or they are avoiding it because reasons.

Early footage looked like it was using PhysX particle effects for fire, that's gone too in the new trailer.

But we already had statements from both Marcin Momot and TheEvilChris that addressed the issue of why the trailer looks the way it looks. They have been since then dismissed and forgotten AND called bullshit by a lot of people.

I think they will/should not reveal important inside information about which systems are finished, which aren't and any other information that can hint at what state of development the game is in. Especially if there's any trouble along the way. They've got investors with real money at stake to cater to. Fan's satisfaction will become important after February 24th 2015 when we get to pay our 60 bucks for the game, play it and can then give our proper judgement.

They were called half-true because the 3GB version is not significantly better than the original one. The low resolution parts are still there.
I admit it looks better graphically, but there is a lot of graphical inconsistency all over the trailers and they didn't explain this yet in any way.
Same goes for Alchemy and other systems.

I just hope this is not going to be Gothic 3 all over again.

This Video made me doubt the overall quality I've seen in their "In-Game"/"Gameplay"-Trailers so far.

Actually I think raising a ruckus now is too late to have any positive effect on the release. I would agree that contributing concerns earlier in the development process is what concerned customers should do, but at this point so close to release the devs will most certainly be in crunch mode and we should leave them to it. No rescheduling or major restructuring is going to take place at this late date.

If it turns out at release that there are problems - and we cannot make such a claim from the video trailers we have seen, only from gameplay and the 35 mins caused much less dissatisfaction than this latest rushed video - we can point them out then when the REDs are reviewing the whole of development, and scheduling post-release fixes which they surely will do being who they are (again if such is required).

I see people bringing up the discredited Neogaf post from way back, but remember how his primary claim that worked everyone up was that the game was Vapourware ? What ever happened to that concern? Seems no ones bothered about that anymore... like windup toy springs running out of tension.

So now the self winding is about graphical degradation, something that anyone with any sense knows cannot be accurately judged by a video for numerous reasons, go learn for yourself why the bitrate of actual game graphics & the bitrate of videos can't show identical results, and freaking out about screenshot stills doesn't display better sense... we play games at multiple frames per second, the contents of a single frame is far less important than how the total flow of frames performs.

We will have the game for ourselves very soon, its too late to contribute to development, calm down, and save it for release.

Actually I think raising a ruckus now is too late to have any positive effect on the release. I would agree that contributing concerns earlier in the development process is what concerned customers should do, but at this point so close to release the devs will most certainly be in crunch mode and we should leave them to it. No rescheduling or major restructuring is going to take place at this late date.

If it turns out at release that there are problems - and we cannot make such a claim from the video trailers we have seen, only from gameplay and the 35 mins caused much less dissatisfaction than this latest rushed video - we can point them out then when the REDs are reviewing the whole of development, and scheduling post-release fixes which they surely will do being who they are (again if such is required).

I see people bringing up the discredited Neogaf post from way back, but remember how his primary claim that worked everyone up was that the game was Vapourware ? What ever happened to that concern? Seems no ones bothered about that anymore... like windup toy springs running out of tension.

So now the self winding is about graphical degradation, something that anyone with any sense knows cannot be accurately judged by a video for numerous reasons, go learn for yourself why the bitrate of actual game graphics & the bitrate of videos can't show identical results, and freaking out about screenshot stills doesn't display better sense... we play games at multiple frames per second, the contents of a single frame is far less important than how the total flow of frames performs.

We will have the game for ourselves very soon, its too late to contribute to development, calm down, and save it for release.
The difference between the vaporware claim and this is that we have multiple instances where the graphical differences is completely apparent. This isn't some random poster on Neogaf. This is what CDPR is showing to its audience.

Also, the 35 minute gameplay quality is noticeably worse than the quality that was shown in the original VGX trailer that had "in-game footage".

The difference between the vaporware claim and this is that we have multiple instances where the graphical differences is completely apparent. This isn't some random poster on Neogaf. This is what CDPR is showing to its audience.

Also, the 35 minute gameplay quality is noticeably worse than the quality that was shown in the original VGX trailer that had "in-game footage".

The quality drop wasnt as bad as now with the newest trailer though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom