2nd PLAYABLE character confirmed as Ciri

+

2nd PLAYABLE character confirmed as Ciri

• Total voters
Oh my god EuroGamer... they think that Ciri is an elf:
"The Witcher 3 will have a second playable character It's Ciri, the ass-kicking elf."

Yeah, I know that she is a descendant of a long lost elven blood lineage, but come on

Last edited:
As I said before, if playing as Ciri is for short period of time and for story-telling purposes-fine by me...

Besides, you can like her as character or not, Ciri is connecting main plot points in the books:
Geralt-Yenn, Elder Blood, Law of Surprise, Lodge, Emhyr, Aen Elle, Dearg Ruadhri, Vilgefortz, Stefan Skellen.....
So, I guess she will do something simliar in Witcher 3..

"The Witcher 3 will have a second playable character It's Ciri, the ass-kicking elf."

Yeah, I know that she is a descendant of a long lost elven blood lineage, but come on
Wow, you're not kidding. Did they not even read what CDPR said or look at the images they post? Or research about what they're writing about/claims they make?

Last edited:

:facepalm:
Wow. I can't believe they did that.

:facepalm:
Wow. I can't believe they did that.
They actually do it twice "The Witcher 3's second playable character has been revealed to be Ciri, a silver-haired elven woman described as "a powerful, living weapon capable of both healing and destroying the world she inhabits.""

The first "Update" was below the title. Then in the main article they said what I posted above.

Last edited:
It's an understandable mistake, if not a very savvy one. Ciri's Elven blood is as big a MacGuffin as Bronze Dan's Holy Grail. Galahad, admittedly not the world's greatest expert on women, took her at first for one of the Fair Folk.

Irrelevant:
Sir Lancelot: We were in the nick of time. You were in great peril.
Sir Galahad: I don't think I was.
Sir Lancelot: Yes, you were. You were in terrible peril.
Sir Galahad: Look, let me go back in there and face the peril.
Sir Lancelot: No, it's too perilous.
Sir Galahad: Look, it's my duty as a knight to sample as much peril as I can.
Sir Lancelot: No, we've got to find the Holy Grail. Come on.
Sir Galahad: Oh, let me have just a little bit of peril?
Sir Lancelot: No. It's unhealthy.
Sir Galahad: I bet you're gay.
Sir Lancelot: Am not.

Last edited:
I think we shouldn't expect too much from this.

Ciri can be at locations and talk to characters, which Geralt can't attend or have talks with.

Maybe the sequences where we will be playing Ciri are all flashbacks and we just witness those scenes through her eyes, while Geralt can act like he did in the books, so there is no retconning and Ciri is just a witness and not really an acting person.

Actually, given that on one screen she seems to be just a little girl, we will play through parts of her life. May be a good way to introduce her to people who did not read the books. Also, it seems, we will upgrade/unlock her abilities. I guess we'll spend quite a long time with her, which is totally fine with me. ):

Ciri? Really?

Yes.

not a fan of Ciri at all -.- didn't like her in the books maybe she is better in the game
I would rather play as Yennefer or Triss but only for a short time not like doing quests with them (like taking control of Henselt or Saskia for a short time in TW2)
its Geralts game!
How can you possibly not like Ciri?

Yeah I saw one of the recent articles from IGN (about 2nd playable character) and it was clear that they know absolutely nothing about the lore.. When I read that I just couldn't stop thinking how pathetic IGN can be..

Yeah, it's kinda weird. Four to five of their staffs (including their mascot Naomi) rated the W3 as their most anticipated game of 2015 while other titles get at most one staff (like Batman).

My own personal thoughts are this:

In a 'truly' open world rpg, it would be nice to only have one character to play.
Having said that, I would like to clarify by saying that having a choice between Geralt or Ciri, to play throughout the entire game, sounds like a nice idea -
though perhaps a bit complicated to implement at this time.

While it may be fun to switch between the characters, in this game, I really would have preferred, in this open world, not to have had 'forced' play added to the game.

Last edited:
I wish you could play the entire game as Ciri or a female witcher. I know that might sound silly as the game is all about Geralt, and is his story (and I can imagine to some people on here it's tantamount to sacrilege) but personally I don't care about any of that. To me the Witcher is just another RPG and I am much happier playing an RPG where I customise the character or at least have the option of playing a female character like in Mass Effect. And Ciri looks like an awesome character to be able to play.

I think the game will be awesome but personally I would be a lot more excited about it if they announced an option (maybe even as a DLC) that allowed you to play the entire game as a female character.

Thank you and good day.

Well, contrary to the TV series, there are no female Witchers... Ciri comes close, though.

So, play the whole game as another character? Nope - the series is about Geralt first and foremost. Different characters for different parts of the story? Sure, why not.

Well, contrary to the TV series, there are no female Witchers... Ciri comes close, though.

So, play the whole game as another character? Nope - the series is about Geralt first and foremost. Different characters for different parts of the story? Sure, why not.
This. Witcher is about Geralt, other characters should be playable for a brief period of time.

Well, even Sapkowski has switched between Geralt and Ciri.
CDPR just does a great job with making a game worthy of the books.

Also, in a game that is over 100 hours long it can be a welcome change of pace
to play the story from a different point of view for a few minutes.

And while I personally wouldn't mind playing as Ciri throughout the whole story,
I think that it's good that Geralt gets the main spotlight in his final Witcher game~

I wish you could play the entire game as Ciri or a female witcher. I know that might sound silly as the game is all about Geralt, and is his story (and I can imagine to some people on here it's tantamount to sacrilege) but personally I don't care about any of that. To me the Witcher is just another RPG and I am much happier playing an RPG where I customise the character or at least have the option of playing a female character like in Mass Effect. And Ciri looks like an awesome character to be able to play.

I think the game will be awesome but personally I would be a lot more excited about it if they announced an option (maybe even as a DLC) that allowed you to play the entire game as a female character.

Thank you and good day.

I have to disagree with you there. What makes The Wither game series so compelling is that it is from the perspective of Geralt. His involvement is a large reason why these games have been successful, and it wouldn't be nearly as compelling if we played a blank slate character with no history. It's likely the games after TW3 will focus on Ciri as the protagonist, but for now this is Geralt's final adventure and I want to see him go out with a bang. To not recognize Geralt's importance to The Witcher universe and why his inclusion in this game is so paramount is to largely miss the point of The Witcher franchise altogether.

On a different note, it was so obvious we were going to play as Ciri. None of the other characters would have made as much sense, not to mention her Witcher training will make her somewhat compatible to Geralt.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with you there. What makes The Wither game series so compelling is that it is from the perspective of Geralt. His involvement is a large reason why these games have been successful, and it wouldn't be nearly as compelling if we played a blank slate character would no history. It's likely the games after TW3 will focus on Ciri as the protagonist, but for now this is Geralt's final adventure and I want to see him go out with a bang. To not recognize Geralt's important to The Witcher universe and why his inclusion in this game is so paramount is to largely miss the point of The Witcher franchise altogether.

Agreed, all the (often) token "equality" aside, this series is Geralt's journey... that's why I hope Ciri's inclusion is really well done, and not just a half a**ed bent knee towards the progressive crowd. Dragon Age Inquisition already had enough of that. Don't get me wrong, if they did a whole series centered about a sorceress as the main protagonist, I would be just as opposed of the inclusion of a token male character. It's about good stories, not the maxiumum of "options" or "inclusivity".

Agreed, all the (often) token "equality" aside, this series is Geralt's journey... that's why I hope Ciri's inclusion is really well done, and not just a half a**ed bent knee towards the progressive crowd. Dragon Age Inquisition already had enough of that. Don't get me wrong, if they did a whole series centered about a sorceress as the main protagonist, I would be just as opposed of the inclusion of a token male character. It's about good stories, not the maxiumum of "options" or "inclusivity".

Exactly. This isn't a BioWare game or a BGS game. We are not creating our own custom character. What we are doing is experiencing the game from the perspective of an already established character, and we have some control over how he makes and chooses his decisions. When CDPR commits to a new character going forward, I'll be committed to her or him. It's about making compelling experiences with amazing characters, not about trying to be "fair" and cater to as many different demographics as you can. That's not what The Witcher is about. We aren't just controlling some empty, mindless avatar. We are immersed in the experiences of another living being, and seeing the world and all its imperfections through his eyes. That's what makes the game so incredible.

I hope playing as Ciri in the game will be more interesting than reading about her in the books, which was the worst part of the experience for me.

From the games perspective, the idea might serve the purpose of describing the human side of Geralt better, making him a deeper, more complete character if executed properly.

Top Bottom