Redefine the RPG genre as we know it

+

IsengrimR

No, Dark Souls is not an Action/RPG.

Yes it is. Why wouldn't it be?
You play a character, character has statistics, statistics affect how you play. You can upgrade your gear, change your gear, gear affects play. It has other characters you interact with. It has hack & slash combat, that is affected by said stats and gear.
Action role-playing games (abbreviated action RPG, action/RPG, or ARPG) form a loosely defined subgenre of role-playing video games that incorporate elements of action or action-adventure games, emphasizing real-time action where the player has direct control over characters, instead of turn-based or menu-based combat. These games often use combat systems similar to hack and slash or shooter games.
~Wikipedia

It does fit into this subgenre. Yes, it is loosely defined, but it has all the characteristics of what I would call and action-RPG.

Funny thing, if they make the sidequest interesting (and I know that they will) they will redefine the whole open world genre. The most of the open world games have boring and repetitive sidequest at best, not to mention the collectibles.

Boring and repetitive sidequests or collectibles? *cough* Dragon Age Inquisition *cough*

Yes it is. Why wouldn't it be?
You play a character, character has statistics, statistics affect how you play. You can upgrade your gear, change your gear, gear affects play. It has other characters you interact with. It has hack & slash combat, that is affected by said stats and gear.
~Wikipedia

It does fit into this subgenre. Yes, it is loosely defined, but it has all the characteristics of what I would call and action-RPG.

It is a dungeon crawl. Has Dark Souls a quest design? Nope. So, it's not an action RPG.

A dungeon crawl is a type of scenario in fantasy role-playing games in which heroes navigate a labyrinthine environment (a "dungeon"), battling various monsters, and looting any treasure they may find.

-Wikipedia

A dungeon crawl glorify the wargame component in a RPG, reducing to zero the interpretative part of the genre.

For me it doesnt matter if W3 revolutionized the RPG genre. For me I can say that even W2 was so much greater than the Bethesda stuff because of the atmosphere ingame. Also u had to find everything on your own and the story itself is just mindblowing. Loving the story about the wild hunt <3

TW1 redifined my faith on RPG 7 years ago... I can expect nothing but a huge higher level withTW3 experience.

Some comparison are weird.. it's like defining a car like an automobile powered by a combustion engine.... then electric cars are not cars?

The prolouge has the chance of being the bottle neck. They need to make it clear to people that the game is going to open up. It is not unreasonable for some one to assume the entire game would be like the prolouge and quit before getting to the main maps.

A lot of the games reception will most likely reflect this.

The prolouge has the chance of being the bottle neck. They need to make it clear to people that the game is going to open up. It is not unreasonable for some one to assume the entire game would be like the prolouge and quit before getting to the main maps.

Well, my point was that the hand of god scooping you up and putting you down like a stray pet hamster is not a great thing no matter the context. But it's more forgivable in an obvious prologue, and even moreso in a tutorial section.

Well, my point was that the hand of god scooping you up and putting you down like a stray pet hamster is not a great thing no matter the context. But it's more forgivable in an obvious prologue, and even moreso in a tutorial section.

The post was more a general reply to the thread topic i haven't read any messages yet.

The post was more a general reply to the thread topic i haven't read any messages yet.

Ah, fair enough. *EDIT Seems I'm the confused one, my comment was in another thread entirely. Your post looked like it could have been a reply to something I said elsewhere. Oops. :p

Last edited:

I think if they quit before finishing the prologue then that would be the fault of the writing not being engaging enough... which, as the majority of previews indicate, isn't the case.

But if people quit just because they think it's not open world, then I'm somewhat glad they won't be the new faces we'll be seeing on the forums after TW3's release. No offense intended to anybody. :p

Moreover, I love that game, though I think it has some flaws: sidequests as above, main plot too short, too many bugs at day one. These are the things I would hate to see in TW3.

That's the most bold statement I've ever seen. Will they accomplish that? What exactly do they have to do to achieve it?

I don't think so, the questions and the changes about game quality, game map size and performance optimization, tells me that will not be what i thought. Can i say that right? or is it forbidden?

As far as redefining the RPG genre...? I don't think TW3 will do this. In order to redefine the genre CDPR would need to innovate and use new mechanics/elements not present in other RPG's. So far almost everything they've shown is typical RPG fare: the questing system, combat, gaining experience, allocating skill points, etc.

However, what will make TW3 stand out is the higher standards they are attempting. Instead of making generic filler/fetch quests (like in many RPG's to date) CDPR is attempting to add depth and complexity to most everything in the game. I think the quality and depth of the game will be the most defining aspects. While the game won't redefine the genre I'm betting that it will raise the bar.

Last edited:
I think the quality and depth of the game will be the most defining aspects. While the game won't redefine the genre I'm betting that it will raise the bar.

I'm a bit concerned that they've only raised the bar in map size and graphics quality.

I wish they'd focused less on fur physics and more on making the combat up to par with arkham for group fighting and dragon's dogma for monster fighting. They've got the story telling covered, and is one of the best i've seen (along with RDR ).

It's interesting that it seems like pc devs are now trying to catch up with the console devs in terms of game features.

I'm a bit concerned that they've only raised the bar in map size and graphics quality.

I wish they'd focused less on fur physics and more on making the combat up to par with arkham for group fighting and dragon's dogma for monster fighting. They've got the story telling covered, and is one of the best i've seen (along with RDR ).

It's interesting that it seems like pc devs are now trying to catch up with the console devs in terms of game features.
I'm so stoked that these guys have gone all out crazy on the graphics and quality. Video games are one of my favorite art/mediums, and some of these talented devs are total crazy, creative perfectionist's.
I love this mindset about ccdpr's art direction, and it's really nice to see and hear them speak about their games art and story, with such humble passion.
They are on the right track, and may this game be a huge success in the end. Dragon's Dogma was fun for me, monster climbing was a blast, Batman's combat was kinda meh.. for me it got too repetitive after awhile, still fun tho. Anyways..I like that TW3 will be more realistic and better looking and more mature than both of those games. Konrad knows what the fuck he's talking about ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom