Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
So its only your IMHO, My opinion (and many many other peoples) - 2013 build look much better, than this 2015 old-gen console BS.

Good for me then :) .

PS: U and others should wake up mid-2014 when they started releasing new footage. SOD trailer artistically looks much different than VGX trailer. There was 0 feedback.

Last edited:
@bombeyboxx I have this feeling that my post is a bit pointless as you seem adamant about just hating the game, or the visuals, at this point, no matter what. But it's starting to get disrespectful and just hyperbolic, how you use "awful", "bullshit", "old-gen".

But more importantly, I want to touch this matter of "dark fantasy genre" concept some seem to have in mind. I think you might be exaggerating about the franchise. My belief is that The Witcher has a reputation of being much more "dark and gritty" than it truly is. It has its dark moments - massacres, betrayals, war, rape, villages burned down, and other atrocities of wars - but most of the time this is a very colorful world, much more than what you guys have somehow gotten into mind.

Let's mention some things from the books:
- A golden dragon speaks in telepathy, challenges knights, dwarves and dragon-hunters (not the green druid who cares about rare creatures, of course) to one-on-one duels, shapeshifts into a human in a blink of an eye and gets blowjobs from exotic foreign women outside taverns.
- A sorceress turns a cart of soldiers into frogs.
- A vampire, a human-trained-by-dryads, a soldier, a witcher and a tactless, loud, oblivious poet walk into a warzone. No, this is not the beginning of a joke.
- A doppleganger makes a witcher chase him through the market in an almost circus-like scenario.
- In a banquet of mages, nymphomaniac sorceress with nearly transparent, sensual dresses gossip about one another, mention casting illusions of orgasms, fantasize about fucking a witcher just to spite a sorceress they don't like, obsess about their looks, try to make uncomfortable a soldier reporting for duty while they're bathing only to find out that said soldier is a woman, and just in general act like children.
- A unicorn appears to save a little girl.
- Vampires spend their youth partying, and they're not allowed to "fly while on the drop".
- Druids petition kings to stop fishing with certain nets.
- A mermaid\siren grows legs to be with her lover and leaves the ocean.
- A little girl joins a band of extravagant murderers who spend their time looting, fucking, buying colorful clothes, walking around in high heels, dancing in parties and making noise.
- A poet spends time between the gallows and the bedroom because his lover can't make up her mind.

This is just from the top of my head. This can go on and on. The Witcher, despite how we often like to think it's so edgy, is a very colorful franchise.

This isn't to say it doesn't have its moments. Hardly. It can be very grim at times, and sometimes the description of certain, sad events had me at tears, because I'm mushy that way. But you can't honestly say that the consistent tone throughout the books (or the games, really, seeing as there are two, one of which is colorful, and the first of which had its colorful moments) is that of this grey and depressing world.

You may like that, and that's fine, but don't try to make it appear as if CDPR is overhauling the atmosphere of the franchise.

I'll add something to that. This is just a different point of view, you can consider it, but you don't have to adopt it of course - when your world is always, at all times, this grey, dark, depressing place, then at some point players develop a high tolerance and apathy towards it. But when it's colorful (and this more convincing, in my opinion), then when those grim moments come, they have all the more impact. That's my belief, anyway, and I think it worked to great effect in TW2.

Last edited:
So its only your IMHO, My opinion (and many many other peoples) - 2013 build look much better, than this 2015 old-gen console BS.

Ugly, u mean Only one Right atmosphere of the Dark-Fantasy genre, and not like 2015 false shiny plasticine build?

This is inflammatory and unhelpful. Please read the breakdowns of the graphics issues that have actually been quantified if you would like your concerns about the atmosphere to be mitigated. If they haven't been, please explain why, and provide detail.

If you have identified other graphical inconsistencies that haven't yet been addressed, then please bring them up so that the people with the skills/knowledge/time/inclination can start breaking them down and getting to the root such an issue.

Moderator: Nobody is going to tell anybody else what to do, except the moderators will tell you to moderate your language before we do it for you. Some posts are going away. Don't try to make the moderators make the whole thread go away. Some people have valid concerns to discuss, and we mean to maintain this thread as a suitable place for them.

Last edited:
@EliHarel

some people like more colorful version other more depressing
you won't convince other side

witcher 1 was balanced in this aspect, there were locations with both types atmosphere
witcher 2 was not
witcher 3 probably too

i think western marked prefers colorful, in east Europe there is strong love for grim atmosphere, and lack of colors there is not considered bad thing

But more importantly, I want to touch this matter about this "dark fantasy genre" concept some of you seem to have in mind. I can't shake the feeling that we're talking about two different franchises, to be honest.
I mention overall dark color palette, 2015 build, have this more vivid and intense that, as for me, is not suit for this game, as it was not being well in the Witcher 2.
And as for me, colors build in 2013 - right than other represent the atmosphere of the world of The Witcher saga. (just like it was in The Witcher 1)

@EliHarel

witcher 1 was balanced in this aspect, there were locations with both types atmosphere
witcher 2 was not
witcher 3 probably too

i think western marked prefers colorful, in east Europe there is strong love for grim atmosphere, and lack of colors there is not considered bad thing
I know. It's fine. I said so in my previous post - there's no problem with liking this or that atmosphere (I really love the VGX trailer myself). The reason I made that post is because I felt this grim and dark atmosphere thing was brought up with this suggestion that CDPR are changing the franchise from what it is, and this I feel is just not right, not based on the books, not based on the games. Not that they didn't have their grim moments, but it was countered by very colorful, sometimes almost comical moments.

I think that even the books describe this colorful world. Not by specifically saying what hues of green the grass is and what shades of blue the outfits were, but just by the general extravagance of some things, such as those I mentioned under the spoiler tag. So I'm not seeing this consistently dark and grim world in this franchise.

Last edited:
Than why Skyrim being one of the blandest game colorwise ever got to be the most successfull rpg ever made?
People want immersion, not unrealistic colors.

One of the worst thing in W2 was It's dappled look, I hated it.

I know. It's fine. I said so in my previous post - there's no problem with liking this or that atmosphere (I really love the VGX trailer myself). The reason I made that post is because I felt this grim and dark atmosphere thing was brought up with this suggestion that CDPR are changing the franchise from what it is, and this I feel is just not right, not based on the books, not based on the games. Not that they didn't have their grim moments, but it was countered by very colorful, sometimes almost comical moments.

I think that even the books describe this colorful world. Not by specifically saying what hues of green the grass is and what shades of blue the outfits were, but just by the general extravagance of some things, such as those I mentioned under the spoiler tag. So I'm not seeing this consistently dark and grim world in this franchise.

have you seen first concept arts of witcher 2?

atmosphere was rather depressing as fuck :)

that was Flotsam

everything changed after failure of witcher 1 xbox port.
cd projekt needed money so they changed game to be more appealing to western market (more colors) and they redesigned mechanics with consoles in mind

if you are interested i can post more of such pictures tomorrow

@EliHarel

witcher 2 was not
witcher 3 probably too

atmosphere depens on many things like weather..We dont know if Witcher 3 is balanced or not because we haven't seen how the game looks when is raining or when is storm or night. All gameplay videos from Cdpr so far are set when weather is "Clear".

I mention overall dark color palette, 2015 build, have this more vivid and intense that, as for me, is not suit for this game, as it was not being well in the Witcher 2.
And as for me, colors build in 2013 - right than other represent the atmosphere of the world of The Witcher saga. (just like it was in The Witcher 1)

There was a picture posted earlier in this thread which displayed the color pallette that was being used in various large regions. Some of these areas will be much darker than the locations in recent footage, and some will not.

In order to completely rework the 'feel' of the game to that of earlier trailers/footage, the simplest way would be with a saturation overlay via directx (such as the DarkD3 sharpen/saturation filter that was made to 'correct' Diablo 3's art direction)

In your case, if you are only concerned about the color balance, the filter in question would likely work without modification (There are a number of different color presets without the sharpening filter which would require as little work as dropping the dll file into the root directory of the game post-install).

Last edited:
Moderator: Two things we do not do on this forum.

One is tell another member what they must do, unless you are a moderator enforcing the rules of the forum. I don't care what position you are trying to advance. If you cannot find another way to say it, you may keep silence.

Another is dispute the moderators on the public forum. If you have a beef, that is what the PM system is for.

Last edited:
have you seen first concept arts of witcher 2?

atmosphere was rather depressing as fuck :)

that was Flotsam

everything changed after failure of witcher 1 xbox port.
cd projekt needed money so they changed game to be more appealing to western market (more colors) and they redesigned mechanics with consoles in mind

if you are interested i can post more of such pictures tomorrow
Nope, never seen concept art of TW2, I gotta admit. And yep, that screen is pretty grim. I don't want to stray too much off topic, but I don't want to ignore you, either, so just a quick reply:

Do we know the reasons for their change in artstyle? Is it to appeal to the masses? Because they thought it fitted better? A bit of both? I think it's just speculating, but maybe you have some interview I'm unaware of. But I believe that's besides the point. I mean, let's go with that unromantic situation where they changed the atmosphere just to appeal to the western audience because there's more money there - does that, in itself, mean that this brighter palette not fit better with the franchise at large?

It might not fit with the first game exactly (though I think that even it wasn't as grim as we remember - the outskirts, sure, but the swamp isn't different in atmosphere than the swamp we've seen in the 35 min, Vizima's trade quarter is like a circus at times, Chapter 4 is a painting of tranquility, and the Epilogue is, well, just ice), but I still think it fits with the books, and I think it worked out beautifully for TW2. As for TW3, it might not have that consistently grey look of the VGX trailer, but I think it's nicely balanced from what we've seen. The swamp looks great for that murky feel, and I believe Novigrad should be the colorful thing it is now, instead of the gloomy VGX market (this isn't to say I don't find that VGX market shot beautiful - I do).

People can prefer this or that atmosphere, there's nothing wrong with it. I'm just not convinced that among the many sins of this downgrade (yes\no), one of them is betraying the franchise's spirit.

Edit: wasn't that quick.

Yup, the Witcher is neither grim nor gritty. The series goes to a lot of dark places but that is always balanced out by some humorous, oftentimes quite subversive moments that elevate the increasingly dire circumstances our heroes find themselves in. Especially the short stories occassional adopted an almost satirical tone, poking fun at both classic fairy tales and European legends and myths while establishing a more lighthearted, at times almost whimsical atmosphere. And I completely agree with EliHarel that this allowed the emotional and tragic events that eventually unfolded to have a much greater impact and emotional resonance than it probably would have had if Sapkowskie had adopted a more grim and cynical tone, something that unfortunately (imho) has become very much en vogue in the last decade. It's hard to care if everything is permeated by a sense of grisliness and constant doom.

Also, grim & gritty is not necessarily a matter of depicting - oftentimes quite graphically - brutality and violence, degeneracy and sex as well as featuring characters of questionable morality pursuing selfish goals - this and more can also be found in other works that a diametrically oppossed to that particular subgenre - but very much a philosophical approach that is defined by cynism, apathy and pessimism. And while I think that CDPR has occasionally confused thematic maturity (of which there is a lot to be found in the novels) with an immature display of violence and excessive nudity*, I think overall they DO get what is important about Sapkowski's creation.

*not that I have anything against nudity or sex, just that the balance was off at times.

Last edited:
@EliHarel @Blady I am definitely of the opinion that The Witcher 1 was a colorful game. It may not have been cartoonish persay. But I would never describe any of The Witcher games as or grim. I might post some pics later, if I want to spend the time.

So yeah, I agree with EliHarel's sentiment that TW3's color palette does not betray the franchise. Although it may have looked better with the more photo-realistic tone (of course there is no way to tell without playing the game both ways, which we will never be able to do. And even then it would partly be determined by subjectivity.)

Also, grim & gritty is not necessarily a matter of depicting - oftentimes quite graphically - brutality and violence, degeneracy and sex as well as featuring characters of questionable morality pursuing selfish goals - this and more can also be found in other works that a diametrically oppossed to that particular subgenre - but very much a philosophical approach that is defined by cynism, apathy and pessimism.
I totally agree with this. Grim and gritty isn't so much about what is in your fiction so much as why it's there in the first place.

In The Witcher franchise it's there because people in the world of The Witcher are messy and dirty, just like people in real life. And Geralt's job oftentimes forces him to confront the grittiness of life, since it's oftentimes actions from ordinary people that creates the monsters he fights. Not to mention the fact that he is persecuted in spite of the indispensable service he provides; sound familiar? People in real life oftentimes demonize what they don't understand too.

In my opinion, the attitude that violence, gore, and sex, in and of themselves, make a story mature is itself immature since none of these things contribute anything to a story on their own. It's about why they're there and what they're trying to communicate to the audience.

Last edited:
Do we know the reasons for their change in artstyle? Is it to appeal to the masses? Because they thought it fitted better? A bit of both? I think it's just speculating, but maybe you have some interview I'm unaware of.

The best information I've been able to find is that it's to give each area a unique and varied feel, to keep such a massive game from becoming monotonous and feeling like no matter the landscape you are going through, it's all something you've seen before. The information used to support that opinion is this image:

http://www11.pic-upload.de/09.03.15/xzdd1axhvy5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom