Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview between David Jenkins (GC journalist) and Marcin Iwinski (CDPR CEO) after 3 hours hands-on
GC: I think in terms of the game’s profile so far the first thing most gamers will think of when it’s mentioned is the graphics. I mean looking at it here [there’s a monitor showing the PC version on the desk] it looks amazing.

MI: [laughs] That’s one of the things we spent a lot of time on, because we don’t see a reason why story-driven RPGs should be worse than FPS. I think it’s a very exciting moment, with the next gen especially. People have these new machines, they have the new HDTVs; they don’t get excited about what they see on screen.

GC: But the truth is that obviously the console versions don’t look as good as the PC. Do you not worry that if everyone’s been looking at the PC gameplay videos they’re inevitably going to be disappointed by the reality of the console versions?

MI: You know, we still have three months to go. So…

GC: It’s not necessarily a criticism of you, but consoles aren’t magic.

MI: Yeah, so it’s always a compromise and I can go back to the time of The Witcher 2 on 360 and it looked like the PC version running on medium. So, the PC, that’s the nature of the format – it’s scalable up, but let’s ask ourselves: how many people have the rig that is like six times the price of a console? Not that many. And I think you will have lots of fun with our game. Having said that, all the console gamers will just enjoy it on the consoles and I think the game still looks amazing on the consoles.

On the PC, one thing to add, it will be scalable all the time, so if you cannot afford the rig today maybe in a year or two years you will be playing Witcher: Wild Hunt on the uber settings, yes? Which is probably the most expensive rig ever made, as of today. [laughs]

GC: I just imagine someone playing the game for the first time, as I did, and being slightly let down by the graphics and then finding out that the gameplay is actually better than they imagined. I mean that’s not just you, that’s the industry in general putting an unfair emphasis on visuals all the time.

MI: I really think people will love the graphics. I think on the consoles we are raising the bar as high as it’s possible. So on the PC it’s just additional stuff, if you have the latest NVidia card you will have better fur, yeah? But c’mon, how many people… that’s a certain core audience and that’s our heritage. We come from PC and we really respect these guys, but I play a lot of it on the console and I love it. It looks great on my huge TV and it’s just easier, yes?

It doesn’t require me to put a rig together. I probably will do that when the game is out, I’ll take one from the company because obviously I’d like to see it. [laughs] But I think a lot of people will be playing it on the consoles and I think there’s nothing much they’ll miss.

We spent the majority of our time on the Xbox One version and it was immediately obvious that the console versions don’t look nearly as good as the PC. That’s completely as you’d expect, especially as Polish developer CD Projekt RED used to work almost solely on the PC, but those expecting the game to look like the trailers should brace themselves. We also played the PlayStation 4 version, which to the naked eye looks identical – although apparently it runs at 1080p resolution compared to the Xbox One’s 900p. What was clearly visible though was a lot of screen tearing, particularly in the first hour or so; obvious object pop-in; and some surprisingly low res textures at times. There were a few bugs and glitches too, but nothing that seemed concerning given the game is still four months away (it certainly appeared more stable than Dragon Age: Inquisition did even at launch).
TL;DR Console version looks like PC on medium

Last edited:
The 360 version did not look even close, no, actually not even remotely close to medium PC with 1080p resolution. So yeah, the whole PS4 will look as good as PC high, i do not buy it :D

Edit: BTW, the devs seem to be really akward and unconfortable when an interviewer adresses the issue of graphics and consoles, so why they do not showcase maxed out settings? There you have it propably.

Last edited:
The 360 version did not look even close, no, actually not even remotely close to medium PC with 1080p resolution. So yeah, the whole PS4 will look as good as PC high, i do not buy it :D

Your basing that off what? A comparisson between Xbox 360 and ps4?

I'm more worried about the implication that you need a two and half thousand euro computer to run their game with those cat in the bag ultra settings on.

So a 980 with decent cpu should run it on ultra? (Perhaps a bit OC)
I mean, i'm looking into building a new pc and I reach 2500 quite easily and fast. Thats with re-using some parts from my old pc.

I'm hoping that same thing, Ultra without ubersampling that is.

Does anyone know on which settings this screen was took on?

Looks like Ultra TBH (grass texture noticeably better??)

Compare the grass to this (uncompressed upscaled 35 min gameplay video)

Last edited:
Your basing that off what? A comparisson between Xbox 360 and ps4?

Juding by comparing 360's hardware to TW2's recommended requirements, and PS4's hardware with TW3's reccomended requirements(which means high 30FPS). Also juding by the PR talk of 360 looking like PC medium which was not really true. And i compared the 2 versions back to back, since my cousin had TW2 on 360, and not fro youtube videos. Also we have alot of reviewers saying explicitly that the difference between PC(which was on high, not ultra), with consoles was night and day.

Does anyone know on which settings this screen was took on?

Looks like Ultra TBH (grass texture noticeably better??)

Compare the grass to this (uncompressed upscaled 35 min gameplay video)

Grass is noticeably shorter. That's what caught my eye. I didn't notice it back then when the screenshot was posted because the visual comparisons weren't really taking place heavily at the time, but now it pops up to me that it's much smaller. I don't think I've seen that sort of grass in the actual gameplay videos, but maybe that's just because I wasn't looking for it.

Grass is noticeably shorter. That's what caught my eye. I didn't notice it back then when the screenshot was posted because the visual comparisons weren't really taking place heavily at the time, but now it pops up to me that it's much smaller. I don't think I've seen that sort of grass in the actual gameplay videos, but maybe that's just because I wasn't looking for it.

Yeah, not only is it smaller but it has incredible definition for its size. I haven't found anything similar while comparing grass textures. Definitely doesn't seem to be on PC high settings...

Screenshots are probably from Ultra. There was a screenshot with a woman in a tavern lately in the FB pages, and the textures there looked incredibly good. So yeah, I'm guessing the screenshots have Ultra and - probably - Ubersampling to increase the texture quality.

Also, again the shorter grass in that specific screenshot might be because of different flora in a different region :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom