Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, no no.
You said the demo «showed off engine features [that] looked great since it was in-engine without any gameplay elements running simultaneously». To be able to say this you have to know two things for a fact:

1) That at the time those locations weren't as barren but were made to appear so due to gameplay elements being turned off so power could be allocated to those visual effects. Or they were just as barren but spare power was available to be allocated to those visual FX.
2) That today, those exact scenes in those exact locations look significantly more complex on comparable settings.

Hard for me to see how you can claim to know either for a fact. Looks like you're running into the problem you're trying to escape from.

Watch the video and you see no combat, no creatures roaming around, no spell effects... there are many, many gameplay features that were not present in the video. This is a fact. This does not mean the assets hadn't yet been created by CDPR but it does mean the engine was not simultaneously rendering those things during the presentation; hence the engine could dedicate most of its power to only rendering what was actually shown. Your two points have nothing to do with this fact.

You can do the same thing with almost any game engine; only show limited assets and crank the special effects up to 11 for the sake of demonstration. But once you add in all the gameplay elements you have to start scaling things back to 8 or 9 instead of 11 if you want the game to run smoothly.

What, exactly, am I escaping from?

Last edited:
I've just been a lurker on these forums up to this point, but it's getting harder and harder to bite my tongue.

While I am still excited for the Witcher 3, and while I do fully expect it to be a fun game, I'm starting to take real issue with the way in which CDPR has (or hasn't) been addressing their fan's legitimate concerns.

The fact that the quality of the graphics have been downgraded since the initial footage and screenshots is simply undeniable to anyone who gives the material even a passing glance. While I don't think the game looks bad in its current state, I can't fathom how anyone could argue that it looks the same as those initial preview materials. The fact that CDPR keeps denying this fact, and indeed even goes as far as to claim that the game looks better than ever, is nothing short of an insult to the intelligence of their fans.

The graphical downgrade would be upsetting under any circumstances, as it falls in line with the bad habits of many companies with somewhat shakier reputations (coughUbisoftcough), but what upsets me more than that is the outright unwillingness of CDPR to be honest and forthcoming enough to even admit something that is blatantly clear to everyone else. It makes me wonder whether our trust in them is misplaced-- and that's especially sad, given that CDPR is a company which has always prided itself on its relationship with fans.

1) CDPR has addressed the issue.

2) They never denied that the game looks different, so yeah, thats not a fact, at all.

Actually I can't even remember a single post in the two downgrade threads from someone thinking the game looks exactly the same, with good reason of course. The deal isnt if the game looks different or not, the deal is if it looks worse, in which parts, and why. Hence a downgrade is far far away form being a fact for now.

Another comparison. This one's about the Igni sign. There are noticeably fewer particles in the PAX demo.

Comparison link

Three things.

1. The flames and particles obviously become more visible at night.
2. As some have already mentioned, the Igni sign might increase in its intensity after leveling up.
3. Ultra settings might introduce additional particle effects.

There might be a downgrade here but it's to early to tell at this point.

@Blady Shadows. Low vs. Ultra. And if you think these results are false than I encourage you to prove me wrong by posting your own results.

Here is another pic. Tell me if which is Low and which is Ultra.

What the hell is up with your screenshots?
I'M sorry dude but those screenshots look horrible in comparison to what I have on my PC when playing the game. I do not know what it is....

As for the debate in general, I think it is possible that specific effects have real problems in the game (frost, fire, etc), at least on consoles or lower graphical settings on PC, while others will be amazing.
Plus, we do not know if some of the scenes in the SoD trailer weren't cutscenes which will be in the game in that EXACT graphical quality. Who knows, maybe the main storyline will get more fancy cutscenes every once in a while, and I don't mind that.

What I definitely want is that the graphical standards of the 35 minute demo are held, which means if it looks any worse on my NEW PC (once I get the problems of my new rig sorted out) - which has a MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mainboard, an Intel i5 4690k 3,5 ghz and a GTX 970 - then I will definitely disappointed.

Like other said, particle effects (Igni) and other extras on higher setting can improve graphical fidelity of special elements in the game, while sharpening filters and similar things on the PC version can do the same. Also there is a possibility some effects (frost on the Wild Hunts Armor) are still a little bit problematic and of course I hope they fix that until release, which might be the reason for the second delay of the game.

The only thing that really worries me are the vegetation texture models, I hope it is possible to choose between different vegetation models because they don't look that good on the mid - high settings we have seen so far.

I also hope that at least 40FPS will be achievable with my setup shortly after release....

Last edited:
It's tough to appeal to everyone.

It's not just the discrepancy between the consoles and PC capability.
It's also the wide range of PC platforms out there, from basic to gtx980's etc.
The hardest hit, or those potentially most insulted are those that spend thousands of dollars on their PC. They expect some sexy eye candy and rightly so.

It leaves a bit of a quandary though for the developers on where to dedicate their limited time within a given $ budget for the title.

Have they confirmed whether or not the intensity changes if you level igni up?
Three things.

1. The flames and particles obviously become more visible at night.
2. As some have already mentioned, the Igni sign might increase in its intensity after leveling up.
3. Ultra settings might introduce additional particle effects.

There might be a downgrade here but it's to early to tell at this point.

OK - Apparently Geralt was very high level at that point, probably maxed out Igni then

Last edited:
OK - Apparently Geralt was very high level at that point, probably maxed out Igni then

Hmm high level does not equal max in all skills... If I understand it correctly you will have to pick and choose what to put your skill points into and you will not be able to max everything.

PAX and Hands on video are at the heart of this downgrade talk but I am still amazed pages after pages as no one speaks about the GDC video... What we see in the gdc video about the particule effects should prove that there are nothing to worry about. I mean did you saw that Igni ? And how the wind influenced it? Besides the build of Geralt in pax Trailer is clearly not a magic build. The regen is too slow compared to some other video. So yes I am almost sure of there is an intensity on Igni that depends on magikal level.

Anyway on all level GDC video is better than PAX and still not ultra. Everything in it is close to the 35 min.

Spoiler: Rainbow Six Siege will not look the same either. It's alway the case with alpha or vertical slice (when we have the chance to see it) footage. So if anyone is interested by this game I guess he can starts the downgrade talk about it somewhere in the internet now...

Last edited:
PAX and Hands on video are at the heart of this downgrade talk but I am still amazed pages after pages as no one speaks about the GDC video... What we see in the gdc video about the particule effects should prove that there are nothing to worry about. I mean did you saw that Igni ? And how the wind influenced it? Besides the build of Geralt in pax Trailer is clearly not a magic build. The regen is too slow compared to some other video. So yes I am almost sure of there is an intensity on Igni that depends on magikal level.

Anyway on all level GDC video is better than PAX and still not ultra. Everything in it is close to the 35 min.

Spoiler: Rainbow Six Siege will not look the same either. It's alway the case with alpha or vertical slice (when we have the chance to see it) footage. So if anyone is interested by this game I guess he can starts the downgrade talk about it somewhere in the internet now...

I did a comparison of GDC / PAX / 35 min. video on my own. They're all the same quality, I can guarantee you that. The only difference is the lighting in GDC that makes the world looks warmer/better. If you want I can post some screens

Level 30, as he is in the PAX footage (which is the source of comparison for the Igni downgrade), isn't "very high level" in a game that is capped at 50, as I remember being said in one of the articles in the last months (sure wish I saved it). That's far from maxed. Furthermore, there are four skill trees - Signs is only one of them, with others being Alchemy, Swordsmanship and General. Do we know this level 30 build is focused on Signs? If he is, do we know if he's focused on Igni in that tree?

We also know that skills aren't always activated, that combing certain things can result in special attacks, and that Igni has several forms itself.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...rticles-2015?p=1542435&viewfull=1#post1542435
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...rticles-2015?p=1544830&viewfull=1#post1544830

Do I see a difference in the Igni in the two GIFs? Sure do. Is the only explanation a downgrade? Is the probable explanation a downgrade? Considering all the other things we know about the game, as well as Geralt's level in the demonstration, no. Are the points I'm raising clinging to straws? Maybe. I certainly hope that the explanation is that the skill isn't maxed out, because if it's not then it sure is less impressive. But this is just to show that our speculations here are done with very thin data. If the final game shows us that Igni isn't as impressive as the SoD snippet, it'll be a shame and a downgrade. But if the final game shows us that you need to max out the sign and combine certain abilities to achieve those nice, bright flames in the SoD trailer, while the player didn't do that in the PAX footage, then this article is responsible for spreading more FUD and pointlessly harming CDPR.

You can't say in the article "don't bring down the hammer on CDPR yet" when that is effectively what you're doing. If you were a responsible reporter you would have waited until you knew more information. We can only wait before determining these things, and we can't speculate what's more probable with the little amount of information we have.

Those 3 minutes are my favorite footage of the game so far. Mostly because of the animations though.

Geralt in the PAX vid is level 30, max level is 60 if I remember correctly, so thats not too high, its half way through.

Considering other things aside from sign intensity, like specific passive bonuses and traits to igni you can get in the skill tree, and that need to be equipped in the first place anyway, I dont think its likely Igni was maxed out at all, or not. The two possibilities are more or less equal to me.

Glad someone addressed the GDC footage. For me, the only flaw on that video is the grass being clearly cardboard-2D (especially annoying, when model is quite big and on the border between grass and road), and one certain type of bush that stands out (http://oi61.tinypic.com/2v30adj.jpg), the rest FOR ME is really great, escpecially considering it's "not even the highest setting!" xD And it definately proves that Igni's particles effect is superb.

Last edited:
Sadly, I don't think so. I don't have problem with it's colour, it's the fact that it is also kinda "cardboard-like". It happens every time for that "type" of bush, no matetr where it is. If you watch the 1080p version on NVIDIA's yt, then you may see that the needles look like there is no possibility for light to pass "between" them. (yup, I know, I'm hell like picky. It's not really important, but I me mind refuses to "unsee" it)

Last edited:
Sadly, I don't think so. I don't have problem with it's colour, it's the fact that it is also kinda "cardboard-like". It happens every time for that "type" of bush, no matetr where it is. If you watch the 1080p version on NVIDIA's yt, then you may see that the needles look like there is no possibility for light to pass "between" them. (yup, I know, I'm hell like picky. It's not really important, but I me mind refuses to "unsee" it)

Conifers looked wonky in basically every gameplay video, as far as Griffin hunt footage way back in June? July? last year. The branches just look like malformed green blobs from distance, but when Geralt gets close, you can see the individual needles, very nice and detailed. You can see it very clearly in the January footage, after Geralt exits the tomb/cave where he fought wraiths, he runs by several of these on foot and also on horseback, and when they get close to the camera, they are incredibly detailed but otherwise suffer from this green blob problem.

I personally think it has something to do with the way the game streams environment. I have no other explanation for it.

Also, hello everyone.

Glad someone addressed the GDC footage. For me, the only flaw on that video is the grass being clearly cardboard-2D (especially annoying, when model is quite big and on the border between grass and road), and one certain type of bush that stands out (http://oi61.tinypic.com/2v30adj.jpg), the rest FOR ME is really great, escpecially considering it's "not even the highest setting!" xD And it definately proves that Igni's particles effect is superb.

Dooood! That's the sunlight on the bush lol...;)

Do I see a difference in the Igni in the two GIFs? Sure do. Is the only explanation a downgrade? Is the probable explanation a downgrade? Considering all the other things we know about the game, as well as Geralt's level in the demonstration, no. Are the points I'm raising clinging to straws? Maybe. I certainly hope that the explanation is that the skill isn't maxed out, because if it's not then it sure is less impressive. But this is just to show that our speculations here are done with very thin data. If the final game shows us that Igni isn't as impressive as the SoD snippet, it'll be a shame and a downgrade. But if the final game shows us that you need to max out the sign and combine certain abilities to achieve those nice, bright flames in the SoD trailer, while the player didn't do that in the PAX footage, then this article is responsible for spreading more FUD and pointlessly harming CDPR.

Another problem I have with the comparison is that the creature responses to igni are very likely to be different. In the older video it's clear that the igni spell is seriously engulfing the bandit. In the PAX East video it is harming a much larger beast than the bandit. Even IF it is the same level of igni, it would not be surprising at all if there are different animations for different sized and typed enemies in the game regarding their response to igni. A larger creature would likely appear less engulfed by flames than a smaller creature IF it is the same power level of spell. So there's that ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom