Witcher 3 First 15 minutes gameplay!

+
It wont, middleware UMBRA handles this thing, there will be no LOD slider.

I hope they will develop their own tech to visibility and streaming, because Umbra is...is shit.

Umbra using tomb files and occlusion/LOD data is streamed in instead of generated at run time, right?
So...they couldn't make different tomb datas for different settings, to allow the player to change LOd with presets? Like LOD= Low/Medium/High/Very High?

Well, atleast they could have left the drinking animation of potions when in meditation state.. and I hope the drinking animations are going to be in dialogs and conversations

How can you complain about LOD? look at TW2, the LOD is far worse and that game doesnt even have really open areas

Personally i won't notice any LOD problems because when i'm riding Roach i will be looking directly to what is in front of me, not on the horizon.
If it's bushes and grass poping in right in front of me , then i'll be upset, but i haven't noticed that in any of the videos, so i doubt i'll notice it when i'll play the game.

I think it looks great. That's all I have to say about it. I will definitely try to play with a minimal UI, and I think the amount of blood is a bit OTT.

I'm only unsure about Geralt's combat animations. It's certainly less of a roll-athon which is great, but it looks a bit janky and Geralt looks very ethereal so to speak. I guess we shall just have to see how it feels in game, because that's the real measure of it.

CDPR, them bastards, releasing something that the majority of people seem enjoy but doesn't live up to Scholdarr's standards about how to market a game. Though the majority of people might just be filthy casuals who don't know what's good for them.

You like being professionally disappointed about almost everything regarding this game so I don't know why I'm bothering, but anyway - it barely spoils anything.
It's really strange that you're bothering, indeed. Seems like you're professionally against almost everything I have to say, even if I just tell somebody my personal feeings or opinion.

And I DO think it's a bad idea to spoil the beginning of the game, even if it's "just running" around (which you doesn't know if you don't watch the video yourself because you want to avoid spoilering yourself by watching a video that is announced with "the first 15 minutes of the game". As I've said, FOR ME PERSONALLY the first hours or maybe just the first few minutes in a new game can be among the best, because the game is fresh and interesting and exciting. I want that experience in its "proper" form while playing it myself for the first time and I surely don't want it being spoilt in a video two months before release or during forum conversations. I don't think that releasing such a video benefits the individual player. Maybe you have some short fun now, but in the end the beginning of the game becomes less fresh or exciting that way.

But yeah, I'm actually completely against the way CDPR handles marketing and PR for Witcher 3 and I have no problem to call most of their decisions in that direction weird or even annoying. Doesn't mean I have something against the game itself, not even close.

Yes, you have no idea because you didn't reed my previous posts.

Moderator: Gibbeted as an example of the manner of post you must never make. WE DO NOT pretend that other members have not read your posts or do not know what they are talking about. That is aggressive and offensive, and it violates the forum rule against spoiling other members' fun.

Did noone notice that lagging when geralt rides slowly on his horse? it's present in the wyvern video as well. Bug maybe?

NOBODY?

Last edited:
The combat is indeed faster which is something i like personally. Is it the speed with which he swings that you dont like or something else? Cause the guy playing is doing a lot of constant and unneccesary rolls and dodges and it makes the whole thing look weird.

I can't speak for him, but I totally agree combat animations are too fast, and its not about the rolling actually, its about how geralt accommodates his body in an unbelievable manner, way beyond the fact that Geralt is a mutant.

Sword hits should be fast, and they are, but many times geralt turns around his entire body or changes position almost instantly, and then in other moves he performs nowhere even close to that speed. My main problem is the inconsistent speed, but also inconsistent acceleration and momentum, When geralt is completely stationary, sometimes he can strike as fast as if he was coming from a combo, I mentioned this before in other vids.

This is most likely a result of CDPR being ultra scared of the lack of responsiveness from TW2's combat, but its a bit over the top. In fact, I never even agreed that at every single time you should have the ability to interrupt swings with dodges or cancels, cause that is obviously ridiculous. TW2's problems were that you needed more control, so that if later you cant dodge it was your fault, not because the game had technical limitations or made you move differently than what you wanted, and all of this is fixed in TW3, so there was no need to cut animations so harshly.

It's at the core of the Witcher lore, Geralt is incredibly fast and they are making so in the game as well.

Doesnt need to be black and white though, Geralt can be way faster than a normal human without defying the laws of physics or whatever, as it is right now it makes TW3 look very gamey, not quite japanese hack and slash at all, but too close to that for my taste.

so you want a character, whose main advantage over other people is super speed and agility, to be as slow as a normal person... cause thats pretty much how fast/slow he was in Witcher 2....
dont get it

Sorry to interrupt your conversation with him but I want to add the same as what I said above, doesnt have to be normal person speed vs otherwordly imperceptible speed.

Also it is mo-capped and the footage we have of capture sessions, the guy looks as fast as we see Geralt. Not "obviously sped up" at all.

Thats not entirely true or accurate. Animations still still have to be chopped and implemented for different speeds, input methods, and uses.

Thats especially clear in TW3's case in my opinion, every independent swing I can see it was moccaped, but when Geralt goes from still to spinning his entire body almost instantly, that makes it looks bad imo, its just clearly not believable under any circumstances. I've seen very fast people in the real world, many martial art masters especially, but they still have to be positioned properly and start movement in a "logical" manner, Geralt doesnt do that here.

It's a shame really, because like I said in a previous post, watching combat in slow mo you can see the animations are more fluid than what they seem, but at this speed its almost unnoticeable, and then when you add other moves that are simply much slower with no reason, it makes the combat look twitchy and more like devil may cry, even though it doesnt reach that example fully.

About the gore I liked how Witcher 1 had it and I loved it but it was only used in a few instances in Witcher 2 which I missed but still loved the game. I love how it's back in Witcher 3 my only complaint is like all the witcher games my son has to be in bed. LOL.:p

What I noticed might be a misplay, but in case it isn't I'll just point it out.

I haven't analysed everything yet, but right off of the bat I noticed when Geralt was alone against the Ghouls that the full slow animation of getting off the horse was necessary.
That resulted in Geralt being hit by one of the ghouls, and that can be game changing in a fast paced combat.

The fact that Roach jumped suggests that the player was trying to get off the mare and was only able to do so after he stopped and held B(I guess).

[video]https://youtu.be/McI_PbjqWsg?t=10m1s[/video]

That can be very dangerous in a scenario where you are surprised by a monster and in order to fight on the ground you have to stop, then hold the button then Geralt will slowly get off the horse..you're dead...

It would be cool if Geralt would just jump off Roach and just roll into combat, it can be the same roll we've seen him doing before. Something like Ujio's in The Last Samurai.
:cool:

^
Hm yeah, in hindsight it made me smirk a little. Vesemir is quicker on the horse while wounded than Geralt off the horse during combat... *scratch head*

Might be to late to implement a second "jump off" animation though

Well no matter how quickly you get down from a horse, you are at a disadvantage I think, so trying to get down from the horse near enemies is a strategical mistake that should've been avoided from before hand, and if enemies ambush you, the same thing.

But yes he could definitely do it faster :p

Top Bottom