Magical Signs in TW3

+
I can't wait to perform Aard 360 no-scopes in The Witcher 3.

Beneath the stupidity of whoever at IGN created this abomination, Signs are looking fucking fantastic.
Keeping how they played and felt to use similar to TW2, but bringing back a lot of effects from TW1 - just a absolutely perfect combination. I really enjoyed magical builds in both W1 & W2, and I get the feeling W3 is going to have the most enjoyable of them all.

Classic IGN. Ruining what could be a good video with terrible editing and unfitting music.

Also..just pointing out but the effect aard has on enemies is severely delayed. Don't know if anyone noticed this.

Don't really care about yrden. Never used it anyway much except for a few dire moments in Witcher 2 boss battles

Classic IGN. Ruining what could be a good video with terrible editing and unfitting music.

Also..just pointing out but the effect aard has on enemies is severely delayed. Don't know if anyone noticed this.

Don't really care about yrden. Never used it anyway much except for a few dire moments in Witcher 2 boss battles
But it's a different effect now. Much more useful I feel.

Signs look sweet, Wanted to go into the sign skill tree anyway like I did in Witcher 1 and 2, but now I'm sure to play Magic-Geralt on my 1st playthrough.

What are the chances of the Solar Quen and Ice Aard returning? No one's talking about the damn things, but they were easily the best parts of W2's (and W1's, even if it's not related) exploration. If those two are now acquired by normal means, what are the odds of upgrading your signs through exploration again? It'd certainly give more reasons to properly inspect every area.

I am sure it is a bug. Just acknowledging it so the devs can attend to it.

Yeh I am am sure yrden is better now. But I am more OBSESSED with Igni lol

Quick question

So i know that there is a perk that allows you to deflect Arrows With Your swords, but i was wondering if you could use the aard sign to deflect Arrows as well?

You'd have to get an answer from a Red to be sure but so far I haven't heard of a skill like this being in the game.

Nah, Aard has cooldown period. Geralt rather deflect arrows automatically like in witcher 2

Not to mention that the player themselves would not only need to time it perfectly but do so while fighting other enemies... Paying attention to archers while slicing and dicing melee... I can't see the result being favorable for most players... Would be nice effect though, I'd just never have it happen on purpose ;)

I just watched this video. It's nice to compare how much more variety and appeal the Signs have now.

And IGN ignored Yrden. I like the new Yrden.

Sign Confusion

I was just looking over the signs skill tree and am somewhat confused about how the signs are working.

From what I remember, the idea was that you had 5 base signs, and then each sign had an alternate version. From looking at the signs tree, this goes something like:

Base Aard: Regular Aard from Witcher 2
Alternate Aard:360 Aard with a lower chance of knock-down

Base Igni:A fire spray dealing damage across a 135 degree angle or so.
Alternate Igni Fire stream. Likely more damage over time, but can only hit one enemy/a string of enemies

Base Quen: One hit shield absorb
Alternate Quen: Redundant Shield that provides health when hit

Base Yrden: ?
Alternate Yrden: Trap and slow-down time

Base Axii: Stun/Sleep one opponent
Alternate Axii: Turn one opponent

Where I'm confused is that I was under the impression the signs were "alternate" versions, and not straight-up upgrades. As in, the older versions would still have their uses. We can see how this is true with Aard and Igni, as they have drawbacks to the new versions that would mean they weren't always the best option. But with Quen and Axii, I don't see why, once you have the alternate version, you would go back to the original.

Quen provides a shield that returns health, instead of just a one-off block, and Axii makes your opponent fight for you, instead of just taking them out of the fight. Hence, what use would the old signs be? I'm not really disappointed by this, I'm all for straight up upgrades, I'm just wondering if I've just missed something.

Also, does anyone know what the base Yrden is? Is it the slow-time affect? If so, wouldn't the alternate just be an upgrade (slow down + trap)?

Lastly, since the alternate versions must be unlocked in the skill tree, do they also need to be "equipped" like other skills to be used?

Base Yrden is trap and slow time.
Second Yrden is "magic turret"

And why would you use 360 Ard which is weaker if you fight against 1 enemy only.

For the health providing quen,you need to upgrade the sign,basically it won't prove you health.
The second yrden is a single trap i think,but i'm not sure.

Top Bottom