PC mouse and keyboard controls

+
I'm expecting, nay, hoping for a day one patch. No, it's not encouraging to be ironing out M&K this frakking late in development. But it shows their commitment as well when they're working on the game damn near right up to release. I just hope their policy on post release support stays the same.

let's not conveniently avoid mentioning that the youtuber said "they were two days away from finishing all the coding for the PC version so M/K wasnt available"

Now that that is settled, at this point i'm already expecting similar implementation to that of TW2. Acceptable but utterly disappointing.

What was the guy doing with M/K in the pics then? the youtuber, I think he was a brazilian one.

I think it does because even though many developers prioritize M&K not all of them get it right.

Well, controls in W1 had their fair share of problems as well...

And after all, the playing field for Witcher 3 is still completely different anyway. It's obviously a game made for controller usage and not a game made for mouse/keyboard in the first place...

Well, controls in W1 had their fair share of problems as well...

And after all, the playing field for Witcher 3 is still completely different anyway. It's obviously a game made for controller usage and not a game made for mouse/keyboard in the first place...

I still stick with K&B because I just can't stand controllers lol. If it will be anything like in W2 I will be totally fine.

gamers these days have a big screen aka 55 inch sony they play the witcher

I know quite few gamers and only one of them along with his brother uses controller to play PC games. And 55 inch screens....
Perhaps we two are from different worlds... :hmm:

But w/e. I hope that CDprojekt will manage to satisfy both keyboard mouse and controler users.

Last edited:
What I dont quite like of CDPR's responses is that they always say the controls are fine, or are working correctly, and variations of that, as if the worries people have with M/K controls were about them even working, they are not.

I dont like to speak for a whole community or things like that, but from reading the thread it seems universal that the main interest is in knowing and/or seeing that the controls are optimized and working as best as possible, that they are implemented in a way that a controller wouldnt be preferable for any reason possible whatsoever. Its not about the controls just functioning, its about how well they work, what options there'll be to tweak the mouse input and other things.

Honestly I'm not worried about playing TW3 with M/K because in TW2 they were fine or ok, and the team definitely heard concerns for the controller-centered decisions in TW2, so I trust them that now it can only be equal or better, not worse. But so far the subject does leave me a bit disappointed and simply unsatisfied so far.

I remember that Square Enix had before the release of Deux Ex Human Revolution a video all about the PC controls in that game - and were showing of how could you use M+K for navigating through inventory screen, maps, quest log, how to rebinding the keys, etc..it would be cool and really helpful to see this some kind of video of something from CD Projekt RED

I remember that Square Enix had before the release of Deux Ex Human Revolution a video all about the PC controls in that game - and were showing of how could you use M+K for navigating through inventory screen, maps, quest log, how to rebinding the keys, etc..it would be cool and really helpful to see this some kind of video of something from CD Projekt RED

Nixxes ported DEHR to the PC..they are well known of making one of the best PC ports out there..being responsible for DEHR and Tomb Raider reboot.

I don't think we will get a video on PC controlls, but I have faith in CDPR that it will be better than Witcher 2 with rebindable keys and raw mouse input and no mouse acceleration.

All we can do right now is have faith, though I can not imagine the game offering truly bad keyboard/mouse support.

Faith isn't bad... but I won't be bored if CDPR give us a little demo of TW3 before the release.. ;)

The fact that the youtubers didn't play the game when it was "Golden" is even more troubling. You would assume that it was initially planned for them to play the "complete game" but due to unforeseen circumstances (i.e the Mouse and keyboard control) they delayed it. If this wasn't the case then it begs the question why they didn't wait one day or two to let everyone play the "finished" product.

Also the statement that the controls are "fine" is very open for interpretation and only increases worries. What is fine? Fine in a sense it's a alternative of using the controllers or fine that it won't cause people's head explode in frustration? Witcher 2 has always been optimal for playing with the controller and I fear that with the emphasise on different variation with dodges (side steps, rolls etc) that they've simply haven't been able to pull of a "responsive" combat when it comes to M+K.

Developers shouldn't make statements labelled as facts based on subjective opinions, because their view on the game is coloured (no matter they like it or not). If they happen to enjoy M+K over a control then that's fine (herpy derp), but don't say uninformative things like that when people are worried because we haven't seen any M+K game play yet with less than a month remaining... Even a more honest answer like "We're still working on it but we will show you some M+K gameplay prior to release" would mean more... On a side note, I have to assume that aspect ratios are essentially dead and buried and we have to wait for release to see whether this was covered, but that's a topic for 20th of May.

The problem with this issue lies is that I don't know how much media publicity we can expect from actual gamers and journalists alike prior to release, playing the finished version. All youtubers went back home so they will probably not come back to the studio, Gamespot recently went back as well. And all content we should expect during this last month is essentially hype videos such as trailers, dev-diaries, behind the scenes and stupid goodies... In other word highlighting the world, not the actual controls. It's only if CD RED attends any remaining game show prior to release where people would be able to play the "finished game" where we could still get some perspective.

Last edited:
The problem with this issue lies is that I don't know how much media publicity we can expect from actual gamers and journalists alike prior to release, playing the finished version. All youtubers went back home so they will probably not come back to the studio, Gamespot recently went back as well. And all content we should expect during this last month is essentially hype videos such as trailers, dev-diaries, behind the scenes and stupid goodies... In other word highlighting the world, not the actual controls. It's only if CD RED attends any remaining game show prior to release where people would be able to play the "finished game" where we could still get some perspective.

European journalists would have far less effort required to go and test the game at CDPR headquarters, or in local or regional events. Gamestar played with M/K, and it wasnt any kind of big event, so I'm cautiously optimistic about hearing more hands-on opinions with M/K.

Top Bottom