PC mouse and keyboard controls

+
Yeah, I think now it's obvious that UI was designed for consoles and their controlers. It's just sad that at first BioWare turn their back to PC gamers and now CD Red is on the same path. I guess the time has changed now and we PC gamer will never be supported as much as console players. The same was with DA: I, only one stream showing devs playing with M/K and in the end we've got game with terrible PC UI and M/K support. And now it's happening with Wild Hunt. And silence from dev just proves that M/K controls are bad. It would be interesting to read first review of the game and see if anyone would play with M/K. I bet all will be played with controller and there will be no info about M/K problems until actual PC gamers will play the game.

This is the first thred that i've skipped most posts instead of reading every page just to say this - ppl that've started CDPR as a dev company are PC gamers. It's money from PC releases, from PC gamers, that even let them try to become a developer instead of publisher and i will never, ever think for a second that they would treat kb+m players - mostly PC gamers - as not worth attention. It will be OK! :D Have faith! :D

Let me tell you something. BioWare once was a hardcore PC game company. And it all changed and faith of people didn't stop them... I still want to believe everything would be fine with K/M controls in Wild Hunt but facts pointing that it wouldn't. Every single stream of the game I've seen was with controller. Why whould PC gamer play the game with controller or why PC dev whould show their game only with controller? So many questions without strait answer.

This is the first thred that i've skipped most posts instead of reading every page just to say this - ppl that've started CDPR as a dev company are PC gamers. It's money from PC releases, from PC gamers, that even let them try to become a developer instead of publisher and i will never, ever think for a second that they would treat kb+m players - mostly PC gamers - as not worth attention. It will be OK! :D Have faith! :D
No disrespect meant to any developers but there are tons of examples of developers who made their bread and butter thanks to PC gamers for years say FU to them when something more lucrative came along. So, gamers have precedent to be vary and it is highly suspicious that of the hours and hours and hours of gameplay footage released and dozens and dozens of hands on impressions released, so little have focused on PC controls which is one of the most important and fundamental aspects of gameplay. CDPR themselves don't have a perfect record what with the less than stellar PC controls for W2. Not to mention all that REDs have had to say about this is to say that the controls are fine(not great) which sounds like they themselves don't have complete confidence in it.

I have already pre-ordered the game and don't really have a problem with playing with a controller, but I would still like to have a great KB/M control scheme for all aspects of gameplay. All the menus, movement, combat, horse riding, swimming should all work great on KB/M and I would assume that's a ton of work to make that happen. It doesn't bode well that there is not a single positive impression from anyone outside CDPR about this with less than a month remaining.

I'm not a blind groupie. Reason i believe it will be OK comes from a fact, that i'm from the exact same reality and history that ppl from CDPR are. I sincerily believe that they didn't threw ideals down the drain 'cos they remember their roots. I do understand that after some [khem] companies f-ups You don't have a lot of faith in any game developer but i really think that in case in CDPR You'll be really surprised how W3 will not have a community unofficial patch fixing +2000 bugs. We'll see :) My faith against Your fears. :) Wanna bet? ;]

I'm not a blind groupie. Reason i believe it will be OK comes from a fact, that i'm from the exact same reality and history that ppl from CDPR are. I sincerily believe that they didn't threw ideals down the drain 'cos they remember their roots. I do understand that after some [khem] companies f-ups You don't have a lot of faith in any game developer but i really think that in case in CDPR You'll be really surprised how W3 will not have a community unofficial patch fixing +2000 bugs. We'll see :) My faith against Your fears. :) Wanna bet? ;]
I'm not a cynic and wouldn't say I don't have faith in any developer, hell even with f'ed up PC controls, W3 is delivering on so many other things. But, I have my doubts with regards to PC controls for reasons stated above and so, I would take that bet and sincerely hope that you win it:yes

Last edited:
As this thread is full of K&M enthusiasts, do any of you make Youtube videos? I did a couple of small ones with TW2 to demonstrate certain techniques, and was shocked at just how jerky the movements were. It felt fine playing the game, but looked like shite when you sit back and just look at the video recording.

I don't know if that's just because I'm not a very elegant player, or if it's something general to K&M. But I keep trying to tell myself that's why they were reluctant to let the youtubers use K&M. I'm not sure yet if I've convinced myself or not.

And, as a few people seem to be misreading this, I'm talking about K&M LOOKING CLUNKY IN VIDEOS. Which is not the same as NOT BEING PLAYABLE.

Last edited:
It's not about bug's. It's about game been development around console controllers and because of that poor M/K support. Basicly it's almost like Wild Hunt isn't PC game but port from console version. Their first two games were PC only for some time then they decided to make more money and made Xbox version and now we got this: Wild Hunt designed to be played with controller. And what about exclusive Gwent or pre-download for Xbox1 it's obvious Microsoft is given them money for such small things. But in the end it's us PC gamers who would suffer... us without whom CDPR would achieve such great results. Again I don't have anything towards console players I'm happy that they can play great game Witcher 2 and now Wild Hunt. But it's sad that dev decided to go console path.

As this thread is full of K&M enthusiasts, do any of you make Youtube videos? I did a couple of small ones with TW2 to demonstrate certain techniques, and was shocked at just how jerky the movements were. It felt fine playing the game, but looked like shite when you sit back and just look at the video recording.

I don't know if that's just because I'm not a very elegant player, or if it's something general to K&M. But I keep trying to tell myself that's why they were reluctant to let the youtubers use K&M. I'm not sure yet if I've convinced myself or not.
As much as I loved W2 combat (which is a lot),while it was fun to play, it was a little awkward to look at irrespective of the control scheme. I have played it using both control schemes and seen other people do the same and that's how I feel. It not looking too good is more a property of W2 combat than M/KB scheme.

As I say time and again: Keyboard and Mouse - excellent to play, crap to display. I am one of those that almost never leaves the camera angle alone, and it's great while playing but if I recorded that, it seems pretty damn chaotic.

As I say time and again: Keyboard and Mouse - excellent to play, crap to display. I am one of those that almost never leaves the camera angle alone, and it's great while playing but if I recorded that, it seems pretty damn chaotic.

Yep, same here with the camera, also the fact that he doesn't step backwards on "S", he turns round.

Not really.
And silence from dev just proves that M/K controls are bad
I don't know what are you asking about, so after reading this question I've loaded game to play briefly with mouse and keyboard. Believe me or not - never did it before. So I've killed a monster and a goose, gathered some herbs, did a walkabout and it seems that M&K controls are fine, responsive and working.
:rly?:

Not really.
That quote doesn't at all instill me with confidence. First of all, he didn't even try all aspects of the game(menu navigation, horse movement/combat, swimming, sailing etc.) but from the sounds of it he tried it for 5 mins. Ofcourse we all know we will get a serviceable and functioning control scheme; the worry is we won't get a great one.

Nice attempt from moderators to convince people that controller is better than K/M. But still no hint or answer about actual K/M implementation in the game.

That quote doesn't at all instill me with confidence. First of all, he didn't even try all aspects of the game(menu navigation, horse movement/combat, swimming, sailing etc.) but from the sounds of it he tried it for 5 mins. Ofcourse we all know we will get a serviceable and functioning control scheme; the worry is we won't get a great one.
Then wait for reviews, whats the problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by theta77 View Post
I don't know what are you asking about, so after reading this question I've loaded game to play briefly with mouse and keyboard. Believe me or not - never did it before. So I've killed a monster and a goose, gathered some herbs, did a walkabout and it seems that M&K controls are fine, responsive and working.
This makes it even worse. Game is made by people who even didn't try to play it with K/M. Are you sure this company is still PC oriented? Again it reminds me situation with DA: I. When one of the dev also said he never used K/M because it was only one platform from the 5 on which game would released and it was more important to be sure the game is working fine with controller because it will be used on Xbox360, Xbox1, PS3, PS4 and PC and K/M will be used only in PC.

Then wait for reviews, whats the problem ?
I don't need to. I'm pretty happy with how the game is looking and have pre-ordered it and wouldn't mind playing it with a controller. Still doesn't change anything I said.

Edit:
And the problem is that CDPR have been so confident about their game that they have given almost unrestricted access to the game to so many people; yet this is the only aspect of the game they apparently aren't confident about. This is a cause for worry for people to whom KB/M controls are very important.

Last edited:
This makes it even worse. Game is made by people who even didn't try to play it with K/M. Are you sure this company is still PC oriented? Again it reminds me situation with DA: I. When one of the dev also said he never used K/M because it was only one platform from the 5 on which game would released and it was more important to be sure the game is working fine with controller because it will be used on Xbox360, Xbox1, PS3, PS4 and PC and K/M will be used only in PC.
:facepalm:
p.s. theta77 aka Marcin Blacha is lead writer

Top Bottom