Votes: 270 26.2%
  • I need to see it in action to be sure

Votes: 294 28.6%
  • I prefer the system of TW1

Votes: 363 35.3%
  • I prefer the system of TW2

Votes: 104 10.1%

• Total voters
you're very welcome my good sir (or madam) :)
well if what you're saying is true, then this thread would've not existed or would've died ages ago. furthermore, the poll seems to show that the players are rather divided on the matter: those who like TW1 approach and those who like more TW3 new system or want to see how it'll be when the game's out. whatever feedback they had, one thing is certain: there isn't any concensus on the matter and opinions are rather divided as i already mentionned.

You probably don't want to bring up that poll...
It's multiple choice, which means there's no evidence that the people who expressed preferences for TW1 and TW2 didn't also say either "Yes" or "No". The only absolute fact from it is that only 30% (230 out of a total of 783) said they didn't like the auto-refill.
And most of those replies were very early in the thread's history, and you can't change your vote, so it also doesn't necessarily reflect current views.

Last edited:
I don't think that would be the case.

In the end it is up to your preferences whether you like the game systems or not, but I think there's sound reasoning behind those choices and at least I'm looking forward to exploring them myself. If some of them turn out to be not as good as intended, hopefully they'll address that in a timely manner.

Reasoning, reasoning, reasoning.
I do not care about any reasoning. Okay, maybe when I play it I will understand why they did it. Might not change the fact that I do not LIKE it however. And if I do not like it I would like to have the option to somehow circumvent it. And throwing away the potions might be some simple and easy to include way to give those guys not liking the auto-refill what they want.

You probably don't want to bring up that poll...
It's multiple choice

I once (some 6 months ago) tried to make a PROPER (no multiple choice poll) but the mods locked my thread and said there is already a poll. So thanks for that. Anyway, that doesn't change anything and I'm not mad or anything.

Nor am I mad at anyone for liking the new system. All I said was that there could have been less.... extreme.... ways to handle the problem, that there were suggestions with a fair middle ground for both sides. Again, I understand some of the reasons they did this for, but I also think that they approached this the completely wrong way and that the things they actually wanted to solve (herb and potion hoarding and people not using potions or not being interested, especially in TW2) had other reasons behind them than they thought. Reasons I mentioned in earlier posts of mine.

My last "straw" so to speak, that I am grasping at, to somehow save my enjoyment in the management aspect of alchemy, would be that we could throw away potion vials, so that we have to make the potions all over again. That would be simple solution, easy to include, easy to do by every player and it wouldn't require any additional balancing work or change in mechanics for that matter, at least from what I have seen in the gameplay. Would be a shame if we couldn't throw potions away (especially since they also take up inventory space and (I hope) there is a big variety of potions in the game.

Last edited:
you're very welcome my good sir (or madam) :)
well if what you're saying is true, then this thread would've not existed or would've died ages ago. furthermore, the poll seems to show that the players are rather divided on the matter: those who like TW1 approach and those who like more TW3 new system or want to see how it'll be when the game's out. whatever feedback they had, one thing is certain: there isn't any concensus on the matter and opinions are rather divided as i already mentionned.

---------- Updated at 03:52 PM ----------

i'd go look for where i heard/saw it, but i'm too damn lazy and got some other matters to take care of XD
i remember it being said in in interviews, both written and audio visual. And i think even M. Monnier himself said something similar to what mentionned before in a video (forgot which one it was).
My apologies for not being much helpful.

Hmm.. cant say I've ever heard the Alchemy changes described that way by CDPR, only by folks on the forums. In either case, Damien has clarified it here that they think the old way is "pointless repetitiveness" in an open world.

Hmm.. cant say I've ever heard the Alchemy changes described that way by CDPR

Even if you didn't see/hear it described that way, I definitely did. Maybe only in the early stages, but some of the devs definitely mentioned it as a reason.

I might be paraphrasing here but I think terms such as "easy to use" "always available so they are more important in the game" and other terms were used.

I do not see - like I said before - that the known changes to the system would really encourage potion usage if a person is not interested in using them. It's just a system that is there. Like you see in one or two of the previews from the Witcher event that came out now a lot of people just don't think about it until they actually need the potions, and once they need them (because they are dying in fights or because you need a specific bomb for a quest) they just shrug and say "well, then I come back later for that quest" or "gotta do it without the potion then".

Again, if you are interested, if you like potions, if you are immersed in that mechanic, you will use alchemy a lot. If you are not you won't even look at it unless it is absolutely required. They will not bother picking up alcohol for it. To be honest, if you wanted to make it auto-refill, you might have as well made it COMPLETELY auto-refill, because the thing with the alcohol does negate the effect you intended auto-refill to have again.

I understand the changes, I am happy for those people who found the gathering "tedious" that they do not have to do it, but I think an option to disable the auto-refill wouldn't have changed much or broken anything, and I do not think that by auto-refilling and making potions only last a few seconds the potions are used a lot more. And the only reason there is no potion hoarding or herb hoarding anymore is that it is physically impossible in the game (due to the fact that you can only have 1 potion with X uses and you only need 2 herbs one time than never again for that specific potion).

Want to make potions more interesting? Make fights require them, make the effects useful, make strong combinations, make every potion type count, make them have a long enough duration to make a difference.

SOME of those things they seem to have done in TW3 and I approve.
Doesn't change the fact that auto-refill and the other changes (or the lack of secondary ingredients) was unnecessary.
Especially if they could have find other solutions or at least included an option to disable auto-refill (like disabling a HUD element).

Last edited:
I've always heard it as CDPR wanting to encourage more players to use potions. Interpreting that as "casuals and newcomers" always seems to come from other sources.

I've always heard it as CDPR wanting to encourage more players to use potions. Interpreting that as "casuals and newcomers" always seems to come from other sources.

I never said "casuals and newcomers".
Talked about words like "wider audience", "new players" or "players who did never use potions in TW".

Exactly. I've did my fair share of back and forth discussion in this thread and never once have I seen a quote from CDPR saying that they made these changes were to appeal to casual audiences. If they did I can't imagine it wouldn't have been quoted a hundred times.

Can anyone tell me if we will have potions that we can use before starting a fight that have a certain duration then just have Swallow/Tawny Owl/Thunderbolt to use during combat? (that have a specific effect and it's instant or overtime).

I remember seeing in some gameplay vids Vitality Regeneration that lasted 30min.

Sounds more like a decoction. 1800+ seconds. (Potentially upgradeable?) Requires re-brewing to refill.

The normal potions are drunk during meditation, and then give several short burst of effect on need - 30 seconds upgradeable via skills. Needs alcohol only to refill.

you're very welcome my good sir (or madam)

---------- Updated at 03:52 PM ----------

i'd go look for where i heard/saw it, but i'm too damn lazy and got some other matters to take care of XD
i remember it being said in in interviews, both written and audio visual. And i think even M. Monnier himself said something similar to what mentionned before in a video (forgot which one it was).
My apologies for not being much helpful.
Hmm.. cant say I've ever heard the Alchemy changes described that way by CDPR, only by folks on the forums. In either case, Damien has clarified it here that they think the old way is "pointless repetitiveness" in an open world.
One man's drudgery is another man's delight but it seems like it never occurred to @ DamienMonnier that some people actually don't mind (a bit of) repetitiveness (like in The Witcher 1 & 2), especially if it enhances the role-playing aspect in a role playing game, regardless of it being open world or linear corridor or whatever.
Totally unheard of.

I'm wondering what would happen if you just throw away the 0/3 charges remaining potion. Do you have to then rebrew it? Then isn't that the same as not auto refilling? So, can't you guys just do that?
That would be amazing.
In fact that would be the only acceptable explanations for so many herbs being around in my book.
If they go ahead and say "you can throw away the potion after you have emptied them to avoid refilling them, and we made so many herbs all around to support this playstyle for those guys who like the ingredient gathering", then I would applaud them and be happy with it. Still some negative points, sure, and a shame about no experimentation or secondary ingredients, but that would solve the auto-refill problem, the "waste of resources that there are so many herbs around you'll never need" problem as well as the "upgraded potions make basic potions useless" problem.

Damien Monnier and @Marcin Momot

Can we actually throw away the potions/potion vials so that we will HAVE to gather ingredients and make the potion again? That would really be good and help a lot in my case.
That... would be amazing indeed!

And probably THE reason why there's this abundance of herbs, growing all over the place.
Just in case people in their hurry to breeze through the game accidentally sell or otherwise dump some or all of their potions.

Could also be a good spot to cram the mod crowbar in, if necessary. Should be about as easy and 'quick and dirty' as reducing item weights to zero.

That just isn't your idealistic vision. When the barrier of entry is too high, no matter how much you increase the value, people would be reluctant to use it, so they reduced the cost.

I understand that, but it doesnt seem to be a very relevant point here, the entry bar for potions in witcher games has always been extremely low, with 0 challenge involved. So expecting to take that to even greater extremes, to solve something that wasnt solved before, is a curious strategy to me.

I was calm. I just like to use the BIG letters so the important words stand out.

lol! oh well, it may be that I tend to use bold and italic to stand out words, and caps to scream/yell :p

Sorry, but I'm just quoting from the developers here. I might be paraphrasing here and there but they said a lot of times, and yes also recently, that they made the ingredients for the potions "harder to get in general" "but therefore you only need to collect them once".

No no thats completely true as well of course, but there are different ingredients and different potions, and treating all of them alike would be foolish. What I said, that they removed them because it never was fun and challenging, and what you say that they said they made them harder and more challenging to get, coexist together.

The ingredients/potions that are supposed to be of basic use, the "starter witcher potion set" to call it one way, was "boring" in the old games because on one hand it had to be easy and straightforward, cause they are supposed to be the basic potions and ingredients, but on the other hand, that easyness combined with regular and repetitive gathering of them, to keep your basic alchemy tools going, was making them more like a tedious task. So thats where I think they introduced auto refilling and the ingredients still arent hard to get, like those that appear everywhere in the recent youtube videos. Maybe the recipe is harder or quest related, but I dont know.

Then we have the more "optional" and valuable/specific potions, the ones that depending how you play, who you talk to, what monsters you defeat and what quests you solve, you either get to craft them or not, and those are, I imagine, the ones that they made ingredients definitely harder to achieve that in past games, and who knows maybe many of those are the mutagenic potions or whatever.

I just do not approve of the strategy of completely getting rid of herb gathering while at the same time making the first-time-gathering take longer. It basically ends up being like buffs in an MMO where you need to meet certain conditions to "unlock" the buff and afterwards can use it in every combat a set amount of times.

The immersion as well as the resource management of potions was always very important for me, which is for example one of the reasons why I did like the system in TW1 the most and was disappointed by the system in TW2, due to the fact that the potions lost their secondary ingredients, did only last 10 min and herbs were basically everywhere.

Yes I more or less agree with this, especially because I dont see the sacrifice worth something like I said before. I feel like we're loosing things for nothing practical.

Keep in mind though, that like I said, they arent treating everything similarly; your initial/basic potions likely wont also take more time or effort to get initially, so for those the only change I think is that they refill, I dont think swallow for example will be harder to get for the first time than in previous games.

Right now, as in that post where I tried to speculate that they want alchemy to be a part of the game always even though its minimally, I think we will have this set of basic potions where their objective really is that the player gets them as simple and easy as possible, so they wont add difficulty in the beginning in exchange for unlimited refilling or whatever, I think we'll just get them and thats it.

The more difficult to get ingredients will be valid for the better potions I imagine.

Like I said, I would be fine with any number of compromises, like basic potions refilling and needing some (not many) ingredients for upgraded versions of them, or all potions refilling automatically IF you do not use ALL of the "uses" they have, or potions refilling but with reduced effect and if you want a "normal" effect having to collect some (again, not many) ingredients.

Yeah, look, on a very conceptual level, making something infinite just like that, is an extreme, and i dont like extremes, especially when they dont seem worth it. I agree the matter could've been treated possibly "better" with other solutions.

I think every potion has at least 2 levels above their initial crafting. I saw some "superior" ones, and some "enhanced" ones.

There are a sh*t ton of herbs all around Geralt on the map in the gameplay videos, there is an overabundance of them just being there. Even if you need more herbs for each potion to make it the first time, more than you needed in the previous games, even then it doesn't add up, it is a waste of herbs being all around you.

If there are too many herbs it either becomes painful to find the right, more rare ones, or it becomes to easy to make a potion, which means you get the potions too quickly and have them unlocked very fast and very early in the game.

At this point I think the large number of herbs is just for consistency and to make sure the player gets all the basic set of potions no matter where they go. And yeah like you say, we will unlock them very early in the game, and thats the idea it seems, so for the stronger ones or more specific ones the job will get actually hard.

There's actually something interesting here about the "waste of herbs" that is in the environment: In the first games you had that, but at the same time since you never knew what you needed and the potions were limited, more than one player would collect all or most of those many herbs. Now the game refills the stuff, so they can have many herbs without "chaining" the player to gathering always, like, they are always there if you need them, but that never implies you need to constantly get more. Instead of supporting your potion using habit, you just go back to get normal herbs when you get a new recipe or quest. Thats actually not bad at all you know, but its still just another "solution" that wasnt needed.

Is buying specific types of alcohol from shops every time less annoying then picking herbs while going in the direction of you next quest?

I disagree with this. In gathering herbs there's also looking for them, and going and see if they are the right ones like you said, and more importantly they are in places close to quests, so your resources can be increased while doing quests. If you can only buy them you need to go to a shop, you need to interrupt your journey but its always a concrete objective, you know where to go, and what to do, and what is there, and if you'll get it. It also makes you wanna save alcohol more while doing quests so you dont have to return or you dont loose money. but If you decide its worth it, you go and do it, not so much with herbs. You could wander for minutes after deciding you wanted more potions, and still not find what you were looking for, time lost.

But what they do in TW3 is not the right solution IMO and I (and others) have been saying this since they first revealed they wanted to include an auto-refill for potions.

Yes same for me, at the beginning I was more cautious because we knew too little to judge, and I could see many ways this could be well implemented, but now that I know a bit more its sounding worse.

And again, I agree that the main problem of the potions in TW2 was that only a few of the potions were really GOOD potions, only a few were viable and effective, and only a few were ever used. You never needed them, you had to meditate (and be out of combat) to take them and they had a very short duration. That was the real problem.

And what did they do?
They made the duration even shorter and they made the ingredients unnecessary after the first time (while still having tons of herbs being around). The only GOOD thing they MIGHT have done is increase the variety in potions, but we can only tell that once we got out hands on it.

Its not just that potions in TW2 werent that good, on the grand scheme of things, you had a much better way to beat enemies, its called sword fighting, and its way more fun, the end. I mean, in TW2 the alchemy tree was the most powerful one, so its not about winning all the time, its about the execution of how you win or progress, and that was totally lacking compared to swordmanship, and even signs which let you send guys flying away and/or burn them.

The improvement that actually might happen, is that thing we saw in the pax vid, when geralt takes thunderbolt and he swings like crazy, thats what alchemy needs, it doesnt need to be more powerful, it needs to be more fun and in a way that other solutions cant give you. It needs to let you have completely new attacks or abilities even. Hell, even making you dismember people more easily is a more valid way to increase how much alchemy is worth. But still, we need to see the extent of this.

- Heavily reduced the exploration-encouraging aspect of searching for ingredients (it HAD to be reduced, I agree, but not to that EXTEND IMO) eliminating resource management
- Reduced the time potions last (maybe not bad inherently, especially since you can take them anytime, increases the amount of strategy you need when using the potions in combat)
- Negated Experimentation (they did do that in TW2 already and it made the system more dull)

Yeah I dislike both things.

It looks like the pros overweight the cons, in numbers.

But in terms of impact those few cons tip the balance for me and make the system less fun and interesting for me.

yes it seems. I personally dont feel it'd be worth to make that kind of list myself, sorry if you were interested in knowing, because those points are so precise that I really need to play the game to be fair while judging them. But some of them I can more or less discuss:

dont like no experimentation, dont like less resource management, and "Overabundance of herbs in the world for no apparent reason" I dont really care, there simply are plants in the real world, and thats it.

these are just subjective btw, just about my taste, i dont think they are inherently wrong or whatever.

Regardless of how much we know now, this has to do a lot with balance, and only way to test balance is to play, a lot, but at this point I'm not particularly excited for alchemy in TW3, its just there, kinda crappy like it was in the previous games. Except that TW1 was the less crappy version.

Oh and hey, damien said something like "ingredients like rubedo are still here" or whatever, I wonder if he just means any normal ingredients, or sub ingredients that give you side bonuses/penalties like TW1...

Looks like you CAN in fact drop potions, even fully charged ones. Rejoice!

'...and you will know him by the trail of empty flasks.'

Can anyon explain what's going on in this video with the consumables? (starting at 22:18 Griffin fight)
According to the inventory we have two slots for consumables (potions, food, drinks)
In the video one is used by potions, the other one by bread. But then he changes the bread to water, a barbecued chicken leg and a chicken leg.
So he uses 4 different consumables, though there is only one slot for them. If it's possible to use our whole inventory filled with health reg stuff during a fight this game will be ridiculously easy again. (like Witcher 1 and 2)

Can anyon explain what's going on in this video with the consumables? (starting at 22:18 Griffin fight)
According to the inventory we have two slots for consumables (potions, food, drinks)
In the video one is used by potions, the other one by bread. But then he changes the bread to water, a barbecued chicken leg and a chicken leg.
So he uses 4 different consumables, though there is only one slot for them. If it's possible to use our whole inventory filled with health reg stuff during a fight this game will be ridiculously easy again. (like Witcher 1 and 2)

It looks like if you have food equipped the game automatically switches to the next food item when you run out. The amount of healing seems really small, he used 7 items and still didnt fill his health bar and thats on top of the generous health regen you get on the easy difficulties.

The only question left then is "Are there enough herbs around so we can create the potions regularly when throwing away empty bottles?" If that is a given I am happy. I don't need to find ingredients for the most powerful and rare potions around every corner, just every once in a while and I am fine.
Another question would be if herbs respawn at set locations or if it is random..

The only question left then is "Are there enough herbs around so we can create the potions regularly when throwing away empty bottles?" If that is a given I am happy. I don't need to find ingredients for the most powerful and rare potions around every corner, just every once in a while and I am fine.
Judging from the couple of short bits and pieces of gameplay footage I've seen so far there are enough herbs around most of the time.
You maybe would have to go for a little herb hunting off the beaten path or even venture forth or backtrack to another region (for that one plant indigenous only to that region) now and then but isn't this the whole point? Another way to encourage exploration?

And the best part - it's entirely optional.
If you don't feel like or don't have the time trekking from one end of the map to the other just for that one ingredient you can still fall back on letting the empty potion auto-refill during your next meditation.

Another question would be if herbs respawn at set locations or if it is random..
If they truly did craft and place everything by hand (maybe with a little help of procedural routines), than it's mainly fixed spots.
In case of bushes or small trees it's definitely set since you only take the berries, buds, blossoms or a couple of leaves and usually leave the plant itself rooted and intact. Would look a little weird (to say the least) to see a plant or a small tree of considerable size just vanish into thin air after looting it.

Smaller 'herb/ingredient containers' like a patch of shrooms or lichen I guess could vanish after looting, but I don't see why it shouldn't respawn at the same exact spot or at least in close proximity of the original location.

Anything else wouldn't really fit with the 'living, breathing world' concept, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Wow! You got me worried, too. Who'd thought food would be the breach in the alchemy system?

Would the same thing happen with potions?

Wow! You got me worried, too. Who'd thought food would be the breach in the alchemy system?

Would the same thing happen with potions?

It seems that all food is just food and offers a small boost, which could be useful when Geralt is low level, until he brews some potions, that's why it is used interchangeably, but potions are different.
If you exhaust the uses of a potion, it won't be changed for another, because you have only one potion of a type, so there's no way another potion can take its place automatically.

Top Bottom