Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, to be honest the more I read nowadays here and there, the more I get angry about the whole situation in the meanwhile. It’s great that CDPR actually want to rework on the approach of Triss, but what about other characters and in particular Yennefer?

Why do I have to defend my choice for Yennefer to everybody every damn time? Why is everybody always questioning my choice for her in the first place? Not only in the game, but also in the forums. It’s like people, ingame and not, are endless astonished how I could possible do that and I start to believe that the game just didn’t do her justice, not at all.

I don’t know if that has something to do with the influx of new people thanks to Witcher 3, but while the controversial subject in the time before Witcher 3 was already that Triss isn’t a saint and Yennefer isn’t the devil, I thought Witcher 3 will clear that up and it didn’t, it didn’t at all, for neither of them!

People still think Triss is a saint and Yennefer is the devil, and only few who haven't read the books see both sides, good and bad for both ladies.

I know the books, I know their background, I know what and why she, Geralt or Ciri does things, so I was quite satisfied with how it turned out in the game, but apparently this barely works for non-readers. Yes, there are examples of how people understand that there is more underneath her hard shell, but it looks like the great mass just doesn’t get it and again Triss is the one who gets the first chance in the game, how is that fair to us or to newcomers, who want to see both sides before deciding?

Sure, you could recommend those reading the books, but that shouldn’t be the solution, when the game fails to deliver it in the first place.

Furthermore why is Dijsktra such a dick, when i let Triss go for good without expressing my endless love for her? It’s my friend, of course I wish her all the best and I support her in her ambitions to save the sorcerers, but the game basically tells me i did the wrong choice by letting her go.

It’s even funnier that Dijkstra does it. The guy, who got dumbed by Philippa and wants to kill her, is telling me how I have to deal with my romantic issues with a sorceress? Really? I expected Dandelion doing it, but not Dijkstra.

Apropos Dandelion, i keep repeating that, but she saved his fricking life, it's even getting to the point where...

And to yours, Yennefer,' he toasted her in return. 'To health for which - as of today - I shall pray whenever the occasion arises. I'm indebted to you, beautiful lady, and I shall repay the debt in my songs. I shall explode the myth which claims wizards are insensitive to the pain of others, that they are rarely eager to help poor, unfortunate, unfamiliar mortals.'
He wants to change the image of ALL sorcerers because of HER.

Sure, we can listen to Prisciall's song, which is really really great, but no comment whatsoever by Dandelion about Yen, really?

Also why is everybody always speaking ill of Yennefer (again, in the forums and games…), despite what she did in the past? It’s like people only see what they want to see without looking at both sides, again in the game and not.

Where is her motherly side? One of the key issues in the books was that she wanted a child and Ciri is that child, so despite being this such an important issue, it is barely covered by the game. Yes, we see one single daughter/mother moment, when you bring back Ciri to Kaer Morhen and maybe when you go to the laboratory, but that's it. How is that comparable to what we have seen in the books?

Sure, the bond between Geralt and Ciri is really important and formed by destiny, but a bond between a mother and her child is something extraordinary. Something we see every day in our own life and here it is even more crucial, because Yennefer can’t have children, yet she always wanted one.
She is doing all those “awful” things to find her, to save her, because of that bond, yet the game barely represents it.

You can kill Whoreson Jr., because he could have done those awful things to Ciri, too, so I killed that prick, so he can’t do it to anybody anymore. Just the thought of it…urgh.

And Yennefer isn't treating Geralt as a dog at all, just look at those dialogue lines from the start:

She never says "stfu Geralt and do what i tell you", she finished 3 times with "all right?", that's not a demand, but a plea.

Sure, Geralt says later that her pleas are never just pleas, but is she wrong? or lying?
She tells him tomorrow what is going on.
She tells him that she had no other choice than to cooperate with Emhyr to find Ciri.
She tells him to not risk his life again, because she doesn't want to lose him again.

That's not a command.

This is one of the few moments, where Geralt actually tries to explain his relationship with her. A few sentences to explain a 20+ years relationship, wow.
If i was the woman he is speaking of, i would be pissed as hell, if he rounds it up like that. Good thing i am a man and i know what stupid things you can say to women or about women, so i had even sympathy for him.

Why don't we have more scenes like this one?

Just look at her face (slowed down):
http://gfycat.com/ApprehensiveMedicalIvorybilledwoodpecker#?speed=0. 5
Worrying about Ciri.

Here we go again, i have to defend her and her motives, a dialogue with Ermion:

Only resulting in distrusting her again, great:

Hmm, i wonder what that could be...

I/Geralt said that and i meant it this way. Ermion isn't talking to Yennefer here, only to Geralt.

"I can't force you."

Who is that woman? Can't be Yennefer, because she would demand it in any case.

It's not like she is bringing Ciri back to Emhyr for a reward or something like that, oh wait, Geralt can actually do that. He can take crowns for doing so, but she is the devil, not you. Selling your own daughter to another man.

At Kaer Morhen she asks him to be polite, trying to trust each other again the way it was before and yet you can do the opposite:

the other branch, if you say "i'm sorry":

This was at the garden quest:

She isn't doing that cause of disrespect, but because she is looking for Ciri, someone who is still alive, but could die, if you don't hurry up.

Geralt asks her to stop and she does. Geralt tells her to do something and she listens to him, not vice versa. In the video you can even see how she looks away with shame.
[video]https://youtu.be/3fyB1j8JJWM?t=2m50s[/video]
listen to her tone, sounds despairing, doesn't it?

When CDPR, when? I can't remember having those talks like these.

She takes all the blame.

and then this happens at the end, what starts the quest The Last Wish

and you have two options:

or this:

That quest is really, really important to her, yet she asks him to help her, not demand or command it. She even shows understanding, if you don't come with her immediately, heck, she even tells you that "if you don't make it, we'll meet in Vizima", like it's not such a big deal. It's a huge deal for her, but she doesn't say it, doesn't want to force him to do anything only for her.

May i also remind you that those folks threw the dead body of Skjall onto a pile of waste afterwards? They cared more about a stupid garden than one of them, their own flesh and blood. You can even accompany Ciri later because of this and tell the folk to not dishonour his body/grave again or they have to deal with you.

Yesterday I said that this is one of the few threads I like to revisit, because it is making me smile reading other posts, while many other threads are mostly just complaints and criticisms, and I didn’t want that here too, but it looks like complaining gets results, but praising doesn’t and i think we should raise our voices too, if we have concerns and not just be happy with that little we have.

So here i sit, doing what i did in the last two years before Witcher 3 (those who are already longer here probably have seen one or two posts by me in that other famous thread...), explaining something, the game should have done in the first place and not me, not the books, and do you know what pisses me off the most? Only a fraction will see this post, most likely only people who will agree with me will see it, but those who can actually change it? Maybe, they haven't post a "we have received your message" here, so i have to trust them, just like i did before Witcher 3 and hope for the best, again.

But maybe if i could only convince one user to think a little bit different about Yennefer with this post, it was probably already worth it.

And give Yennefer a real damn dress, not just a different version of her usual clothes. The Toussaint expansion would be the perfect place for it.

Last edited:
Great post.I agree with many points you've made.CDPR certainly could've done a better job with showcasing Yen's character.Let's hope they'll fix it in the expansions.

Uma? Well she knew it was dangerous, but she also knew it was the only way to save him, and she knew she could do it, and she did, no one died.

She even feared that Uma could be Ciri, so that makes the whole situation all the worse. Ciri could be in front of her and she can't do anything to help her. The Trial of Grasses was the last chance, which could eventually kill Uma and with that even Ciri. Imagine the horror, if that had happen.

Both women have their flaws

Exactly, both.

Nobody will argue or deny that Yennefer doesn't have flaws or did no wrongs in the past, but it's a shame if you refuse to see also her good sides, just like denying that Triss did no wrongs in the past too.

Hard to say... I'd like to check out the patch first and then make up my mind - I expect only very minor changes so at this point I don't see that much reason to be worried. We'll see soon enough what Trissues will arise and then let's discuss :)

There's one thing that really bothers me about the situation with necromancy.Geralt can suggest Triss to use necromancy on Menge,but she says ' i haven't sanken that low just yet'.Really?So Triss is low enough to torture and kill a guy,but not low enough to use necromancy,like it's some Ultimate Evil.And then when Yen suggests to use necromancy Geralt objects.Why!?He suggested it to Triss himself!

Well Said. I believe CDPR failed to flesh out the real Yen character. Those who has not read the books have no idea what they are talking about. I read the books in betwixt the wait for W3. Unless people get to know what Triss did in the books they won't understand where this sudden redemption pathos of Triss coming from. instead they would take it as part of her characteristic making Yennefer the one who is intruding in the relationship between Gearlt & Triss. for those who have at least played w1 & w2 could guess the real scenario given the amount of character backdrop available over the net. but as you said for the newcomers it is a mess.

Some argues that the game and the book stands apart but that is not true at all, 'cause else there would be no witcher 3 in the 1st palce.

Is there a reason why Yen is seen killing a Nilfgaard soldier in the opening cinematic? I never quite understood the reasoning or remember if it was explained when she was actually working with the Nilfgaardians? Did I miss something obvious?

Is there a reason why Yen is seen killing a Nilfgaard soldier in the opening cinematic? I never quite understood the reasoning or remember if it was explained when she was actually working with the Nilfgaardians? Did I miss something obvious?

They were in her way ;D

Found a comment on youtube by user with name "Emiel Regis"

"Geralt, of course, Triss Merigold is a good girl, loyal friend and even she's fond of you, but believe me, believe my centruries-old experience: The Rose Of Remembrance never dries up without a reason. According to elven beliefs it lives while the one who picked it loves the one he gave. Triss's Rose did dry up just when you had returned a memory about your true and only the one love with raven hair and smell of lilac and goosberry, the one who sacrificed her life for you. Even if you're always tired and feel wrong, just remember how we tried to save Yen in the castle of Stygga. I died again to save her and your love to her."

Touching

The soldier was going to kill her :p

In a battle soldiers often cant distinguish their own comrades. Let alone someone like Yen who just appears in the scene...

Hard to say... I'd like to check out the patch first and then make up my mind - I expect only very minor changes so at this point I don't see that much reason to be worried. We'll see soon enough what Trissues will arise and then let's discuss :)

I am a bit worried that they might think that everything is just fine with Yennefer, because we like what they did (as i posted in my very first post, i loved the Last Wish and its outcome), so they think they only need to change/tweak the issues with Triss and then everybody is happy, but that's not the case.

There are a lot of construction zones, not just Triss and Yennefer. Most of them can't be fixed without rewriting the whole story, so i wouldn't count on that, but with just minor tweaks, they could make it much more better not just for Triss, but also for Yennefer.

Just that one thing with Dijsktra, why can't Geralt just tell him to "fuck off" or lecture him to care for his own troubles with his sorceress? Why can't Geralt just stand-up for Yennefer in this case? Explain the situation? Oh right, he might have not met her yet at Skellige at this point...

It's just unfair to newcomers that the game tells you, what you did was wrong.

There's one thing that really bothers me about the situation with necromancy.Geralt can suggest Triss to use necromancy on Menge,but she says ' i haven't sanken that low just yet'.Really?So Triss is low enough to torture and kill a guy,but not low enough to use necromancy,like it's some Ultimate Evil.And then when Yen suggests to use necromancy Geralt objects.Why!?He suggested it to Triss himself!

Just that one thing with Dijsktra, why can't Geralt just tell him to "fuck off" or lecture him to care for his own troubles with his sorceress? Why can't Geralt just stand-up for Yennefer in this case? Explain the situation? Oh right, he might have not met her yet at Skellige at this point...

I think what CDPR did wrong was the order of those quests. Players get to spend time with Triss and suddenly they're given the option to romance her BEFORE they have a chance to know Yen better. It doesn't make any sense. And later if you learn that you actually like Yen more - poof too late, you're screwed.

The soldier was going to kill her :p

In a battle soldiers often cant distinguish their own comrades. Let alone someone like Yen who just appears in the scene...
Yeah maybe its as simple as that, didnt really bother me at the time just saw it again and struck me that it was a Nilfgaard soldier she killed, but then the dude had just loped off her horses head so well within her rights to be fair.

I think what CDPR did wrong was the order of those quests. Players get to spend time with Triss and suddenly they're given the option to romance her BEFORE they have a chance to know Yen better. It doesn't make any sense. And later if you learn that you actually like Yen more - poof too late, you're screwed.
Yeah, but it works in both directions. If you don't want to romance Triss in Novigrad because you want to be informed about Yen better first - well, you don't have any real chance once you've started Triss' questline in Novigrad. You don't have any chance to remedy your choice later.

And the decision to split Yen and Triss up into two different parts of the game takes also away a lot of tension between them and Geralt. It sometimes feels like Skellige and Velen/Novigrad were two different games to me... :/

Yeah, but it works in both directions. If you don't want to romance Triss in Novigrad because you want to be informed about Yen better first - well, you don't have any real chance once you've started Triss' questline in Novigrad. You don't have any chance to remedy your choice later.

And the decision to split Yen and Triss up into two different parts of the game takes also away a lot of tension between them and Geralt. It sometimes feels like Skellige and Velen/Novigrad were two different games to me... :/

The good solution would be to give a romance option LATER, kind of separatedly to Yen/Triss quest. Like somewhere at the end of the game for example. So the player would be like "Ok I've seen enough of both of them. Now I'm choosing"

If you want to understand Yen you need to understand women at all.
Many people get things literally:
She flirted with me = she loves me. She got her legs open wide = she loves me.
She didn't hug me after 2 years of separation = bitch
She said that we need to do something first = bitch
She's nice and modest with everyone = cute
She's acting rude sometimes = bitch

etc. etc.

It's pretty childish point of view.
Cute and lovely temper doesn't mean happiness and comfort as well as hard and sharp temper doesn't mean non-love slavery.
And when people are trying to put these things as arguments of "what is true love" it really makes me believe that romance is dead nowadays. Everyone prefers to be practical and blind.

Would have been more interesting if we had Yen and Triss choosing whether to be with scared-of-relationships and commitment Geralt... or with each other...

Now that would hurt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom