Triss Merigold of Maribor (All Spoilers) Resurgence

+
And there was no "taking advantage" of amnesia or anything. Triss didn't rape or cast a spell on Geralt. She conveyed her feelings. Depending on how you played the game you reciprocated or not. Untold times every single day someone on this planet is wooing someone else that is in a relationship. And just because you know or classify that other person as a friend also has no bearing on it..

No taking advantage of amnesia? Seriously? Triss admitted herself that she was taking advantage of him.

No taking advantage of amnesia? Seriously? Triss admitted herself that she was taking advantage of him.

She admitted that she loved him. That is not taking advantage. It is telling someone how you feel.

She admitted that she didn't tell about Yen but even that is not taking advantage of Geralt. Geralt decides if you loves Triss or not on his own. Taking advantage and manipulation involves Triss actively trying to destroy Yen/Geralt relationship via saying stuff like Yen left you or Yen was using you etc. Saying your feeling is not that.

When it comes to the Yen, Triss Geralt triangle no one is a bad person. They are all adults looking at their feelings. But since there is a winner and loser it's human nature to think that the winner is bad if you supported or are the loser. It doesn't mean that a real person in that situation wouldn't have their heart broken. And too many people equate that to the other being "bad" or whatever adjective you assign to it.

And there was no "taking advantage" of amnesia or anything. Triss didn't rape or cast a spell on Geralt. She conveyed her feelings. Depending on how you played the game you reciprocated or not. Untold times every single day someone on this planet is wooing someone else that is in a relationship. And just because you know or classify that other person as a friend also has no bearing on it.

Honestly, what is wrong going up to someone you feel in love with and saying to them that you love them and always wanted to be with them? Even if they are in a relationship with someone you know. No one is a mind reader. It could be friends with benefits or one or the other doesn't really feel in love. If they are really deeply in love then you won't get anywhere. Adults all over the world are doing this exact same thing. There are no good or bad guys here.

PS. So it is crystal clear to everyone I am not defending Tris, Yen or Geralt. Nor am I attacking them. I'm simply saying that the game reflects complex human nature when it comes to relationships and is very common. And because there is a winner and loser it is natural for the loser to feel bad and hurt. But that doesn't mean the winner did anything wrong, manipulated or took advantage. They simply acted on their feelings.

Yes, but that is just an opinion. This is the thing. You might not think that there is anything inherently good/bad about a certain behaviour (interfering in an existing relationship being the example you provided), but someone else might not agree. Someone else might think it is reprehensible. Their judgement of that particular behaviour is entirely valid. We all have a built-in moral barometer: our individual brain; and no one can tell us that our assessment of morality is invalid because there is not a consensus on the topic.

Shying away from adressing good/bad behaviour because there is no universal measure for these concepts is, in my opinion, snuffing out the very essence of debating. One can always make arguments for and against ideas and attitudes, as long as one doesn't make arguments against the right to interpretation or plain out expresses bewilderment at the very existance of a particular interpretation.

Last edited:
She admitted that she loved him. That is not taking advantage. It is telling someone how you feel.

She already admitted it in the books. He knew about her feelings and didn't reciprocate them. In the games Geralt had no memories and Yennefer wasn't around (and Triss didn't bother to tell him about her), so Triss decided to jump at the opportunity. That's called taking advantage of someone. Well, at least in my opinion.

Moderator: Further violations of the rules of order of this forum as reiterated by the moderator earlier in this thread will no longer be overlooked but will be grounds for formal action against member's accounts, which may include post deletion, formal infractions, or removal from the forum.

Do not, under penalty of the above actions, criticize other members in any way that can be read as criticism.

I am not questioning your moral values. What I am saying is that to label someone as bad based on your values is doing the exact same thing as the person you are saying is bad. You know the judge not yest ye be judged line. You can say that you would never do that act. And that is perfectly fine. But by placing any type of judgement (labeling it bad) means you are saying that person should abide by your values.

I know the moderators are wary here. I'm not attacking your values. I'm saying that they are valid and are your values. But then you shouldn't force or hold others to your values, or to think less of them if their values differ. And that is my point. Triss wasn't using your values. But does that make her a bad person?

Yes, it can make her a bad person in my eyes. (I don't actually think Triss is a "bad" person, though.)

Again, assessing others and their behaviour by our own moral standards (what other standards matter more, at the end of the day?) is something we all do, all the time. It's absolutely essential to human interaction. We can't help ourselves from "judging".

And I don't take anything that you say as an attack, so it's all fine.

Last edited:
I
I read the books and maybe it's interpretation but can you clarify exactly what she admitted to?

She was all over him in Blood of Elves.
She threw her arms around his neck, instantly, without thinking. She caught hold of his hand, abruptly placed it on the nape of her neck, under her hair. A tingling ran down her back, penetrated her with such rapture she almost cried out. In order to muffle and restrain the cry her lips found his lips and stuck to them. She trembled, pressing hard against him, her excitement building and increasing, forgetting herself more and more.
Geralt did not forget himself.
“Triss… Please.”
“Oh, Geralt… So much…”

“And you, Triss?”
“What about me?” She swallowed with difficulty. “I’m not important. I let you down. I let you down… in everything. I was… I was your mistake. Nothing more.”
“Mistakes,” he said with effort, “are also important to me. I don’t cross them out of my life, or memory. And I never blame others for them. You are important to me, Triss, and always will be. You never let me down. Never. Believe me.”
She remained silent a long while.
“I will stay until spring,” she said finally, struggling against her shaking voice. “I will stay with Ciri… I will watch over her. Day and night. I will be with her day and night. And when spring is here… when spring is here we will take her to Melitele’s Temple in Ellander. The thing that wants to possess her might not be able to reach her in the temple. And then you will ask Yennefer for help.”
“All right, Triss. Thank you.”
“Geralt?”
“Yes.”
“Ciri said something else, didn’t she? Something only you heard. Tell me what it was.”
“No,” he protested and his voice quivered. “No, Triss.”
“Please.”
“She wasn’t speaking to me.”
“I know. She was speaking to me. Tell me, please.”
“After coming to… When I picked her up… She whispered: ‘Forget about him. Don’t torture him.’”
“I won’t,” she said quietly. “But I can’t forget. Forgive me.”
“I am the one who ought to be asking for forgiveness. And not only asking you.”
“You love her that much,” she stated, not asking.
“That much,” he admitted in a whisper after a long moment of silence.
“Geralt.”
“Yes, Triss?”
“Stay with me tonight.”
“Triss…”
“Only stay.”
“All right.”

“Oh, Geralt,” she sobbed. “I so regret… I so regret that what was between us—”
“Triss, please.”
“…it should have happened… now. When I’m better… It would be entirely different… I could… I could even—”
“Triss.”
“I envy Yennefer… I envy her you—”
“Ciri, step out.”
“But—”
“Go, please.”
She jumped out of the wagon and straight onto Yarpen who was waiting, leaning against a wheel and pensively chewing a blade of grass. The dwarf put his arm around her. He did not need to lean over in order to do so, as Geralt did. He was no taller than her.
“Never make the same mistake, little witcher-girl,” he murmured, indicating the wagonwith his eyes. “If someone shows you compassion, sympathy and dedication, if they surprise you with integrity of character, value it but don’t mistake it for… something else.”

In the books yes. But the game needs to give us options. What fun would it be if then game never allowed our Geralt to pick someone else or to sleep around?

I would've had no problem with it, if those options weren't forced on me. And if Geralt had his full memory from the start.

Damn, this post is already deleted.

She already admitted it in the books. He knew about her feelings and didn't reciprocate them.

That does not necessarily have to stay that way forever, it is a rather simplistic view that his feelings cannot change years after the books. And as far as I know, he does not have amnesia in TW3, yet I somehow still got this at the end of the game, and in TW1 it is possible to choose Shani (who technically also "takes advantage" of Geralt, but there is not much noise about that ;)) instead without much fuss. So, in the games, it is possible to choose or reject Triss with or without amnesia. Maybe if there was no amnesia at all, some sort of choice would still have been written into the games anyway.

You mention that it was forced on you. Do you mean TW2? TW1 let us pick. As for TW2 a game has to have some start and that was the game cannon the creators picked. But outside of that start you weren't forced to continue it or confirm it. So not sure what part was really forced.

Yes, I'm talking about TW2 in wich Triss was a forced love interest. And there was no option to break up with her until TW3.

Moderator: Posts deemed offensive are removed for cause under the forum rules and previous clear instructions given in this thread. Furthermore, disputes over forum moderation are without exception not to be conducted in public posts.

I sometimes feel like Triss fans want to forget some aspects of her personality for some reason. And I don't get it. Triss is an interesting character, with her qualities, and her flaws. You should be proud of that.

Here's the most ironic aspect of your point. I'm not really a Triss fan. She's interesting and all that but I'm not a gung-ho fan.

What I'm trying to do is show that if you hold person A to a certain standard then you should also hold person B to that EXACT same standard. Otherwise its hypocritical. And I do not see Geralt, yen and Triss being held to the same standard.

Yes, I'm talking about TW2 in wich Triss was a forced love interest. And there was no option to break up with her until TW3.

In TW2 you have an option not to be romantic with her and start the breakup. But once again a game, book, TV show, movie must have a stating point. And RPG type games must give you options. But you are never forced to be in a continuing relationship with Triss after the start. Or did I miss something where you and Triss were forced to have sex?

Last edited:
I sometimes feel like Triss fans want to forget some aspects of her personality for some reason. And I don't get it. Triss is an interesting character, with her qualities, and her flaws. You should be proud of that.

While in theory I would not mind interesting discussions about that, the problem is that it feels like 99% of the time when such things are brought up, they serve the purpose of a senseless shipping war or character assassination (read: "X is an evil manipulative bitch, you should feel bad for not choosing Y instead"). So, in practice it ends up being not so attractive after all. Understanding the majority of the audience, it is no wonder CDPR is beginning to follow the trend of one-dimensional characters, which can continue in whatever the next Witcher game is going to be (easier to do with new characters, and of course no Triss, either).

In TW2 you have an option not to be romantic with her and start the breakup. But once again a game, book, TV show, movie must have a stating point. And RPG type games must give you options. But you are never forced to be in a continuing relationship with Triss after the start. Or did I miss something where you and Triss were forced to have sex?

Well, it is kind of implied in the prologue of Witcher 2 (not to the pleasure of Shani fans), and in the first game at the beginning of Chapter 3, one may (or may not) interpret the means of making sure that Geralt is completely recovered to involve sex. Not that similar things are not done in TW3 with Yennefer, as you can read in this article under "Sex matters", and there are at least two forced kissing scenes as well. Anyway, returning to the topic of TW2 and Triss, there is not much "forced romance" in that game outside the first minutes, and in all likelihood less than in its sequel.

While in theory I would not mind interesting discussions about that, the problem is that it feels like 99% of the time when such things are brought up, they serve the purpose of a senseless shipping war or character assassination (read: "X is an evil manipulative bitch, you should feel bad for not choosing Y instead"). So, in practice it ends up being not so attractive after all.

I can assure you that it was NOT what I intended to do. However in that sentence you quote my words were indeed poorly chosen and if it has carried the wrong impression then I am sorry.

Well, it is kind of implied in the prologue of Witcher 2 (not to the pleasure of Shani fans), and in the first game at the beginning of Chapter 3, one may (or may not) interpret the means of making sure that Geralt is completely recovered to involve sex. Not that similar things are not done in TW3 with Yennefer, as you can read in this article under "Sex matters", and there are at least two forced kissing scenes as well. Anyway, returning to the topic of TW2 and Triss, there is not much "forced romance" in that game outside the first minutes, and in all likelihood less than in its sequel.

In my opinion it is not exactly the same thing, since in TW3 you see Yennefer kissing Geralt which does not imply that Geralt agreed to that while in TW2 you have a sex scene which does imply that Geralt was involved in the decision (or at least I hope it does ^_^ ). All jokes put aside, I think there should have been an option allowing the player to tell Yennefer that kissing was not ok, and I understand why people choosing to romance Triss are not happy about that.

I'm leaving the last three posts intact as they appear to give closure on one part of the earlier discussion, but please note that any further discussion of "what other people mean" will result not just in post deletions but possibly stronger action.

And please bear in mind the reasons why the earlier Triss and Yen threads got locked.

But what we have from our previous choices, concerning Triss? Rose? Yes. No matter what: Geralt gave rose to Triss or not - rose, always, will be present in TW3.

There is a comment in the scene where she is asked about the rose that suggests there might have been plans to make it depend on W2 choices:
nextLinkElement = 5,
comment = "after G finds rose in Triss room + if in W2 Geralt gave the rose",
nextVariantId = 1,
defaultVariantId = 0,
But it was not actually implemented. Although that particular choice does not seem to be available for save import, either.

There is a comment in the scene where she is asked about the rose that suggests there might have been plans to make it depend on W2 choices:
nextLinkElement = 5,
comment = "after G finds rose in Triss room + if in W2 Geralt gave the rose",
nextVariantId = 1,
defaultVariantId = 0,
But it was not actually implemented. Although that particular choice does not seem to be available for save import, either.

Seems CDPR had plans to handle it somehow...and didn't do it...meh

Seems CDPR had plans to handle it somehow...and didn't do it...meh

Well, in this particular case, the information might just not be available in the W2 save. Although there are other importable facts the game could have made use of in some ways.

I agree with OP on most of the things. I always liked her in the books, and in all three games she was most important NPC for me along with Zoltan. So its awesome, that you have a chance to romance her, but as OP wrote, there is so much room for improvement. All of those things will hopefully be implemented one day in some DLC/EE. I played the game for the 1st time after patch 1.10, thank god - those few extra scenes are nice, yet it still lacks so much after her departure from Novigrad. Cant imagine playing it before, and hearing only `well` and `good luck` :D

Really nice ideas,especially liked the idea to talk about Alvins note, that would have been quite a pleasant surprise :)

I agree with OP on most of the things. I always liked her in the books, and in all three games she was most important NPC for me along with Zoltan. So its awesome, that you have a chance to romance her, but as OP wrote, there is so much room for improvement. All of those things will hopefully be implemented one day in some DLC/EE.

As discussed a few pages earlier, I would have liked to see another quest or two, rather than just romance scenes, even if that does not look likely now. Especially in the parts of the game where it looks like content was cut anyway, such as in and after Battle Preparations and around Act 2.

Still think more content should be done. More quests with her would've been way more fun since she has so many fans, maybe they don't even need to be big quests but smaller ones or just little cute ones, also some time with her(and ciri) after defeating the wild hunt would've been nice, it really bothered me about the first two games as well that there isn't even so much as a chat after all is said and done in those games. Just some cute little quests and chats would've been nice with triss, or yen if you chose her, but also your friends and then of course ciri(at least for the witcher ending i got, since Geralt hasn't seen her in so long).

Top Bottom