Triss Merigold of Maribor (All Spoilers) Resurgence

+
Anyway (yes I'll get to the point eventually ^^ ), what I wanted to know is : how in your opinion is Triss a "better" person when she is with Geralt? What does that relationship bring her?

The first thing Triss gets in the books is the discovery that relationships can be deeper than the shallow ones she has known among the mages and nobility. This is somewhat tragic for her in the books because Geralt is bound to Yen.

When Geralt and Triss argue, it's about big important questions that force them to think. At Kaer Morhen in the books they argue about participation in wars, and whether great causes are worth dying for. There is a bit of a reprise of this discussion in the tent in the Witcher 2 prologue when they discuss Foltest's war agains the La Valettes. Their challenging but respectful arguments seem like a very healthy thing for both of them, and she probably enjoys being around someone who will dive into big philosophical discussions.

In Witcher 1 I think Triss and Geralt have a very good working relationship- they joke around and tease each other while working toward their goals. Geralt helps her to enjoy the work she is doing, and he has a good sense of humor. We get to see some more of this in Witcher 2 and 3 when Geralt's sense of humor lifts her out of a serious mood.

Another thing Triss gets from Geralt is someone she can trust and rely on. They do a lot of watching each other's backs in both the books and games. Geralt takes care of Triss when she falls ill in Blood of Elves, she watches out for him on Thanedd and saves his life there. They have a long developed comrades-in-arms sort of bond that means a great deal to her. With Geralt around Triss doesn't hesitate to take on dangerous tasks like wading into Vizima's sewers to face a zeugl, attacking a base full of Salamandra mutants, or trekking through Flotsam's monster-infested swamp.

The first thing Triss gets in the books is the discovery that relationships can be deeper than the shallow ones she has known among the mages and nobility. This is somewhat tragic for her in the books because Geralt is bound to Yen.

When Geralt and Triss argue, it's about big important questions that force them to think. At Kaer Morhen in the books they argue about participation in wars, and whether great causes are worth dying for. There is a bit of a reprise of this discussion in the tent in the Witcher 2 prologue when they discuss Foltest's war agains the La Valettes. Their challenging but respectful arguments seem like a very healthy thing for both of them, and she probably enjoys being around someone who will dive into big philosophical discussions.

In Witcher 1 I think Triss and Geralt have a very good working relationship- they joke around and tease each other while working toward their goals. Geralt helps her to enjoy the work she is doing, and he has a good sense of humor. We get to see some more of this in Witcher 2 and 3 when Geralt's sense of humor lifts her out of a serious mood.

Another thing Triss gets from Geralt is someone she can trust and rely on. They do a lot of watching each other's backs in both the books and games. Geralt takes care of Triss when she falls ill in Blood of Elves, she watches out for him on Thanedd and saves his life there. They have a long developed comrades-in-arms sort of bond that means a great deal to her. With Geralt around Triss doesn't hesitate to take on dangerous tasks like wading into Vizima's sewers to face a zeugl, attacking a base full of Salamandra mutants, or trekking through Flotsam's monster-infested swamp.

This is interesting. I suppose Triss and Geralt would indeed have this "opposites attract" thing going on and that they could challenge each other that way. Yet don't you think that it would be too much of a challenge? Another way to see this is that the fact that they don't want the same thing at all would become a problem at some point.

I agree on the fact that Triss often wants to do the right thing but sometimes has trouble finding the courage to act on it. And it is true that it seems to be easier for her with Geralt around.

Even in the games she isn't on the good guys side.

There are no good and bad sides in most of the witcher universe- just lots of ambitious interests. Geralt keeps getting burned because he tries to do the "good" and noble thing. The Lodge is a great case of a noble idea twisted by personal ambitions- Triss buys into the original vision but sees the darker sides emerging later. The question is how long she should have stayed loyal.

Wow. I just noticed that Triss had a dagger in TW2 Maybe that's why her gwent card is a melee.

Yet another reason I hate the Witcher 3 costumes! Witcher 2 costume was better in every way. Also, Keira should have been a melee card because of her brass knuckles in Time of Contempt!

Yet another reason I hate the Witcher 3 costumes! Witcher 2 costume was better in every way. Also, Keira should have been a melee card because of her brass knuckles in Time of Contempt!

This concept art from 2014 is still similar to the outfit from TW2. Too bad something like that was not made a free DLC.

Attachments

• Triss_concept.jpg
    Triss_concept.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 925
This concept art from 2014 is still similar to the outfit from TW2. Too bad something like that was not made a free DLC.

Damn, why didn't we get one of those!? :veryangry: The outfits and the hairstyles are waaaaaaaaaay better (and more appropriate) than this:

Damn, why didn't we get one of those!? :veryangry: The outfits and the hairstyles are waaaaaaaaaay better (and more appropriate) than this:

If there'd been some DLC where Triss was shown living at home or in a Royal court then that would have been great but it just doesn't fit in with the feel of the main game and is totally impractical in its design. The original four concepts would have been far better, especially if they'd made it modular so you could add various parts to create any of the four. A missed opportunity.

It really amazes me that people say anyone is a bad person (or not a good person) because they wanted to have a relationship with someone that was in a relationship. It is human nature. If you are attracted to someone and your heart desires that person then you must be true to yourself and see if there is anything there.

The whole world is full of stories about regret and one of the biggest regrets humans have is not trying to find out if a potential soul mate has gotten away. This is not betraying your friend. It is checking to see if the other person feels the same way. It destiny means for Geralt to be with Yen then it shall be. No one is a mind reader. You don't know what is in Geralt's heart and mind.

To claim Triss, or anyone for that matter, is not nice because they are seeking to see if they found their soulmate is wrong.

It really amazes me that people say anyone is a bad person (or not a good person) because they wanted to have a relationship with someone that was in a relationship. It is human nature. If you are attracted to someone and your heart desires that person then you must be true to yourself and see if there is anything there.

The whole world is full of stories about regret and one of the biggest regrets humans have is not trying to find out if a potential soul mate has gotten away. This is not betraying your friend. It is checking to see if the other person feels the same way. It destiny means for Geralt to be with Yen then it shall be. No one is a mind reader. You don't know what is in Geralt's heart and mind.

To claim Triss, or anyone for that matter, is not nice because they are seeking to see if they found their soulmate is wrong.

I don't think anyone says that Triss is a bad person, because she wanted a relationship with Geralt. We don't choose whom to love. The problem most people have with her is how she handled it. By taking advantage of his amnesia. Is she a bad person, because of this? Not necessarily. But that was certainly not a good thing to do.

In relationship with your best friend - why everyone forget about this? Like it's not so important :( And yes, it's definitely bad thing to do. There isn't justification for breaking other people love. If you don't believe me try to imagine yourself being Yennefer, will you really feel ok with you friend stealing you girlfriend\boyfriend?

For many people, the Geralt-Yennefer relationship is very important, and that makes a character seen as a "threat" to that a bad person from their point of view. Maybe even the main antagonist of the saga in some cases. :) In any case, Geralt is an adult and he is not Yennefer's property. If he chooses someone else, it is not stealing.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

For many people, the Geralt-Yennefer relationship is very important, and that makes a character seen as a "threat" to that a bad person from their point of view. Maybe even the main antagonist of the saga in some cases.

Really? From what I've seen, a lot of people sees Yennefer as an intruder whose inclusion in the game forced CDPR to break "ideal" Geralt-Triss romance, as someone who's imposing herself on poor "non-readers". From these people I've seen a myriad of accusations (mostly made up, like her manipulating Geralt) without ever providing in-game evidence to support those claims. I've seen players lamenting "Yennefer betraying The Lodge to Emhyr" content was removed, I've seen some of them complaining that they can't kill her...
Anyway, people like this exists on both side of the fence, there is no need to single out any group as the one who does stuff like that...
As for Triss, TW1 and 2 are actually providing clues that she's doing something suspicious behind Geralt's back, that she wasn't always honest, that she's been hiding important things from him, that she's wasn't a Saint like TW3 wants you to believe. Naturally, you'll see various theories about what's the meaning behind these hints.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really amazes me that people say anyone is a bad person (or not a good person) because they wanted to have a relationship with someone that was in a relationship.

I really don't get that. Triss did some bad things (yes, in my opinion seducing your best friend's boyfriend is a bad thing to do) It doesn't mean she is a bad person. It doesn't mean she is an uninteresting character either. Quite the opposite actually, it makes her believable, it makes her feel real instead of being some kind of idealistic fairy tale character that wouldn't be of any interest.
I sometimes feel like Triss fans want to forget some aspects of her personality for some reason. And I don't get it. Triss is an interesting character, with her qualities, and her flaws. You should be proud of that.

Last edited:
I really don't get that. Triss did some bad things (yes, in my opinion seducing your best friend's boyfriend is a bad thing to do) It doesn't mean she is a bad person. It doesn't mean she is an uninteresting character either. Quite the opposite actually, it makes her believable, it makes her feel real instead of being some kind of idealistic fairy tale character that wouldn't be of any interest.
I sometimes feel like Triss fans want to forget some aspects of her personality for some reason. And I don't get it. Triss is an interesting character, with her qualities, and her flaws. You should be proud of that.

I fully accept seducing the amnesiac Geralt as a selfish problematic act of Triss'. Its a very human act which i can see why Triss would succomb to such behaviour though given her feelings and don't believe it is a impediment to her and Geralt being together.

Last edited:
I fully accept seducing the amnesiac Geralt as a selfish problematic act of Triss'. Its a very human act which i can see why Triss would succomb to such behaviour though given her feelings and don't believe it is a impediment to her and Geralt being together. I've seen far more evidence of others trying to twist and come up with conspiracy theories in relation to Triss than Triss fans willfully acting forgetful over the conception.
It's mutal feeling :) Some people can't accept ingame actions Triss has made and are creating conspiracy theories about her "true" intentions. But this is great! If she wasn't so amazing character there won't be all this different opinions about her ^_^

I've seen far more evidence of others trying to twist and come up with conspiracy theories in relation to Triss than Triss fans willfully acting forgetful over the conception.

To be honest I've seen both. I've seen Yennefer fans trying really hard to find every piece of evidence that could show that Triss was nothing but an awful person trying to steal Geralt because of some evil master plan or something. I've seen Triss fans trying just as hard to demonstrate that Geralt and Yennefer never loved one another and that Geralt had always been in love with Triss etc. There are people on both sides who take their pleasure in destroying the happiness of others.

Truth is, I've known fandom wars before. I actually stopped watching a TV show I really liked once because of that. That's why I really don't want to be part of that sort of thing ever again. I am a huge fan of Yennefer, I absolutely love her relationship with Geralt and to be honest I won't ever ship Triss and Geralt together. Yet I take no pleasure in spending my time finding every possible piece of evidence that Triss is a manipulative bitch just to prove that I am right and that Triss fans are wrong. That is the very last thing I want to spend my free time on. I will even go further and say that I deeply respect Triss fans and their opinions as long as they don't try to destroy the things that make me happy. Actually as I said before I think Triss is a great character and I would be more than happy to talk about her with you guys.

I am new here, but I can see that there have been some issues in the past and that everyone is kind of suspicious about everything that is being said here. And I have to say guys that all of this is very disturbing for newcomers. I never really know what I am "allowed" to post here. I always feel like I'm breaking some kind of unofficial rule or something. I've said I was on "Team Yennefer", does that mean that I should never say anything controversial about Triss? Does that mean I should avoid this thread at all cost? I tried to ask a question here a few days ago and the answer I got was a Yennefer fan jumping in to defend Yen and Triss fans wondering whether they should answer or not because it looked like I was trolling, I guess? Or at least it was what it felt like from where I was standing. I must admit, not the reaction I was expecting, I thought Triss/Geralt shippers would have been happy to talk about the things they love about them. I know I would be happy if a Triss fan was asking me to explain what I like about Yennefer. Hell I would probably write a post so long nobody would read it.

I think we are all here because of the same thing : we are fans of The Witcher, be it the game, the books or both. And yeah maybe we don't like exactly the same things about the witcher but that's ok. I think we should be happy to be here, to talk about what we love instead of being on edge all the time looking for potential trolls. Not every Yennefer fan is here to piss you off. Some are open-minded people looking for an interesting conversation. (and yes, I know, same goes for Triss fans as well!)

And all that being said, I'm really sorry for the off-topic rant but I needed to get this off my chest.

It still isn't acceptable to use this thread, or any other thread in the forums, as a means of complaining about other forum members. Comments about Yen fans, emotional outbursts about the discussions taking place in other threads, and accusations such as those quoted below need to cease immediately.
"Some people can't accept ingame actions Triss has made and are creating conspiracy theories "
"I've seen far more evidence of others trying to twist and come up with conspiracy theories in relation to Triss than Triss fans willfully acting forgetful over the conception."
"I sometimes feel like Triss fans want to forget some aspects of her personality for some reason."
"For many people, the Geralt-Yennefer relationship is very important, and that makes a character seen as a "threat" to that a bad person from their point of view."
"It really amazes me that people say anyone is a bad person (or not a good person) because they wanted to have a relationship with someone that was in a relationship."

The topic of this thread is Triss, not how little you are able to tolerate criticism of her and not a discussion on the actions of other forum members.

And if you wander into other threads, you will see that there are discussions about conspiracy theories, analysis about game events, disagreements about personalities in the game everywhere. Triss is not exempt from this type of debate.

Last edited:
When it comes to the Yen, Triss Geralt triangle no one is a bad person. They are all adults looking at their feelings. But since there is a winner and loser it's human nature to think that the winner is bad if you supported or are the loser. It doesn't mean that a real person in that situation wouldn't have their heart broken. And too many people equate that to the other being "bad" or whatever adjective you assign to it.

And there was no "taking advantage" of amnesia or anything. Triss didn't rape or cast a spell on Geralt. She conveyed her feelings. Depending on how you played the game you reciprocated or not. Untold times every single day someone on this planet is wooing someone else that is in a relationship. And just because you know or classify that other person as a friend also has no bearing on it.

Honestly, what is wrong going up to someone you feel in love with and saying to them that you love them and always wanted to be with them? Even if they are in a relationship with someone you know. No one is a mind reader. It could be friends with benefits or one or the other doesn't really feel in love. If they are really deeply in love then you won't get anywhere. Adults all over the world are doing this exact same thing. There are no good or bad guys here.

PS. So it is crystal clear to everyone I am not defending Tris, Yen or Geralt. Nor am I attacking them. I'm simply saying that the game reflects complex human nature when it comes to relationships and is very common. And because there is a winner and loser it is natural for the loser to feel bad and hurt. But that doesn't mean the winner did anything wrong, manipulated or took advantage. They simply acted on their feelings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom