The new signs what if......

+
The new signs what if......

Ciri is the reason we learn and have stronger Magic/Sign abilities. Just s thought.....Maybe she teaches us or bestows it upon us as reward or a precaution. She is after all damn near all powerful in regards to magic. My theory and I think it is a sound one.

Agent_Blue

GeraltTheRiv said:
Ciri is the reason we learn and have stronger Magic/Sign abilities. Just s thought.....Maybe she teaches us or bestows it upon us as reward or a precaution. She is after all damn near all powerful in regards to magic. My theory and I think it is a sound one.

You mean the embedded tutorial CDProjekt spoke of?

I am under the impression the augmented signs will unlock progressively, so how would you reconcile the two notions?

I get that.... What i am suggesting is the following. We start the game with normal signs. We unlock the other 5 via Ciri. Either through some scroll she sends us/leaves as or she teaches them to us herself. This could be down a few different ways. She could enter his dreams or what not....just saying it is IMHO the best way to account for his new abilities past normal witcher signs. His mother was magically inclined so it is not far fetched that he could learn from somebody as powerful as Ciri. Again just my take on it....Im trying to rationalize in my head how and why he is given these signs. I am interested in seeing if it is part of the narrative or just an after thought to CDPR. I hope it plays in to the story somehow.

I would think maybe another Witcher might teach him? They might be upgraded but signs are very basic magic.

I like it when I click on a topic and the first word is "Ciri". :p

Your theory is an elegant way to explain the existance of augmented signs while staying true to the lore.
But I highly doubt that there will be any form of explanation for it in the game.

If you remember the previous games, skills usually have been unlocked by investing points in a skill tree.
There wasn't someone teaching you those skills, or a proper explanation for how Geralt suddenly mastered them.

I like your idea though. Learning those skills from certain persons/mentors spread throughout the world of TW3
would make exploration/travelling a lot more rewarding and give us a proper explanation why Geralt can suddenly do things he couldn't before.

I've always preferred the idea of actively learning skills from characters instead of clicking on skill trees.

I would think maybe another Witcher might teach him? They might be upgraded but signs are very basic magic.

That would work. Especially if there are multiple Witcher schools in TW3.
They could have "evolved" differently in their use of signs.

I think it's a sweet idea; the only thing that makes me uncertain is that Ciri (at least canonical Ciri, but until the game comes out we have no other) is a most reluctant magic user. If you don't use it day to day, you don't get the insight into how to combine basic signs in new and useful ways.

Eh... I don't know. I don't like the idea of a teacher that stands still in a town, waiting for you to be level 10 so you can go to them and learn another sign. What if the story progresses? You'd basically know that you'll always be able to find that character somewhere, because otherwise you'd have a part of your skill tree missing. Or they'd just be generic NPC that know an awful lot about witcher signs (bad idea, this one).

And how to balance the other trees? Would it be exclusive to the new signs, or would we have, say, a witcher for swordsmanship, a witch for alchemy, and a sorceress for magic?

No, I'm fine with the old system. The new signs variations don't seem too elaborate for Geralt to be unable to come up with anyway, after all his memories have come back.

theFixer said:
Eh... I don't know. I don't like the idea of a teacher that stands still in a town, waiting for you to be level 10 so you can go to them and learn another sign.

That's fine, you're entitled to your own opinion. :)

When I suggested this, I had the Gothic games in mind.
In them you can visit teachers to improve your skills and learn techniques regardless of your level or skill points.
All you need to do is find the right teacher and take a lesson.

And how to balance the other trees? Would it be exclusive to the new signs, or would we have, say, a witcher for swordsmanship, a witch for alchemy, and a sorceress for magic?

Well, in TW1 we had all of these experts in Kaer Morhen.
But swordsmanship could be taught all across the globe, alchemy aswell (Kalkstein sends his regards).
I admit that the signs are a bit more specific and should probably only be taught in Witcher schools or by wandering Witchers.

:)

Well cdpr is introducing vesemir to the game again so your idea could work really well with him as the mentor,but still i think the game will have self skills learning like in TW1-2

emperorzorn said:
That's fine, you're entitled to your own opinion. :)/>/>/>

In them you can visit teachers to improve your skills and learn techniques regardless of your level or skill points.

Yes, it was a great system. Gothic series was a masterpiece in so many ways It would be nice to have teachers in TW3, even optional ones. May be Vesimir can be one?

To Alextyc1

Your avatar brings back sweet memories... Let the Sleeper a-w-a-a-a-k-e-n!!!

vivaxardas said:
Yes, it was a great system. Gothic series was a masterpiece in so many ways
It would be nice to have teachers in TW3, even optional ones. May be Vesimir can be one?

To Alextyc1

Your avatar brings back sweet memories... Let the Sleeper a-w-a-a-a-k-e-n!!!

you just reminded me of one creepy moments from the game with that phrase(especcialy at night)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ5ydEpluFU from 2:05

its easy to kill him cuz is weak,but that speech...

Actually gothic 1 was really creepy...

emperorzorn said:
That's fine, you're entitled to your own opinion.

I see, that would make sense. But I guess I just don't like the idea of a bunch of people teaching Geralt how to be more effective in a field he's been an expert (and always perfecting himself) for decades. Now, all of a sudden, he meets a random guy (or worse, someone he's known for years but still hasn't shared their knowledge with him) who knows much more than him about his own trade.

While it's not at all a bad idea from a gameplay perspective, I definitely prefer sticking with the actual progression system. I'll take it as a videogame necessity, and if I really need an explanation, I'll see it as getting a mix of old and new experiences.

emperorzorn said:
Well, in TW1 we had all of these experts in Kaer Morhen.
But swordsmanship could be taught all across the globe, alchemy aswell (Kalkstein sends his regards).
I admit that the signs are a bit more specific and probably only taught in Witcher schools or by wandering Witchers.

Exactly, so either there will be a lot of witchers around (maybe even random ones), and this possibility is one I'd personally hate to see happening, or you'll always know you'll have at least one of them available for when you need his training.

Furthermore, I can understand magic teachers, but isn't Geralt supposed to be one of the best sword fighters in the world? And witcher recipes shouldn't really be common knowledge (even if both games are quite loose on this concept), even less new ones. Who would be interested in creating them? So there are a lot of things I wouldn't like and very few I actually would, so I personally give it a nay. But that's just my opinion, of course.

Alextyc1 said:
Actually gothic 1 was really creepy...

/> Yes, it was. Creepy and awesome. Gothic series was my drug of choice for 10 years, until PB went under, and I was left in a hopeless darkness. Then I suddenly saw the light, and found my solace and my late love with The Witcher games. I hope CDPR won't share PB's fate and won't break my heart again. /> over

May be we still can have teachers for some new skills. I doubt it will happen though. CDPR will probably want to keep the same system as in TW1-2.

You didnt like arcania?

Edit:sorry,i didnt had to even make this joke...

And the teachers thing can work only with sign teaching and alchemy(pleeeease cdpr bring back kalkstein)

Alextyc1 said:
You didnt like arcania?

Edit:sorry,i didnt had to even make this joke...

And the teachers thing can work only with sign teaching and alchemy(pleeeease cdpr bring back kalkstein)

Yes, it may be. It may be a new and improved sign system, more powerful one, recently worked out by some magical researcher. In this case this sorcerer (or sorceress) can teach Geralt to use new upgraded versions of signs, never used by witchers before.

Dunno, ciri doesnt use signs, if she ever uses magic it would be true sorcery.
So i'm kinda skeptical that she would be able to teach geralt how to use signs.

vivaxardas said:
Yes, it may be. It may be a new and improved sign system, more powerful one, recently worked out by some magical researcher. In this case this sorcerer (or sorceress) can teach Geralt to use new upgraded versions of signs, never used by witchers before.
That sounds like an awful lot of trouble for an Aard cast on the ground or a flame stream Igni. And why would sorcerers be interested in witcher signs anyway, since they consider them magic tricks at best?

May be you already had the signs but didn`t know you did i.e. full memory restoration or it could be the results of the potion that the 2 scholars give you in Flotsam .

Top Bottom