About monitors

+
Ehm a stock 780 ti and even a direct cu II 780 ti are both not faster then a my 970 card which is the evga superclocked acx 2.0.
Im taking this:

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...ked-acx-2-0-4gb-edition-vs-geforce-gtx-780-ti

and this:

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...-vs-geforce-gtx-780-ti-directcu-ii-oc-edition

As a reference. The latter is where the 780TI is better, and the first is where the 970 is better. But this is just overall. If you just look at the clock speed rates, then the 970 is much faster. Not a lot, but still much. Nevertheless, i think a 970 or a 780ti should have no problems with this game at least on 1080p. Not sure for 1440p or 1200p tho, since i dont use either of them.
Clock speed on different architecture is not a valid comparison. You are also comparing stock cards to an oc card to prove your point, which of course is nonsense. Show some game benchmarks, you will find 780 ti's outperform 970s, not sure on all the over clocking but my card is also an evga superclocked, without the acx fan though. It also has a very minor overclock that I did.

Anyway, I know it will have no issues on 1080, its a beast of a card. But at 1440, it wont max the game, not with high fps, and neither will a 970.

780ti is maybe 5% higher fps on average (both gpu stock speed), but 970 has 0.5/1.0gb more vram, and usually overclocks to 1450-1500mhz

970 is better

many people that tried a game at 1440p with gtx 970 had problems when the card reaches 3,4 - 3,5 gb of vram usage, the game stutters and/or freezes, maybe you'll have to play at middle settings and AA off, i have a gtx 970, and tried it on 1080p, and it stutters badly when reaching 3,8 - 4 gb of vram usage, i would wait and see how the game performs with the curent monitor

I find this interesting.
What game / settings did you run into that problem, such that VRAM was pushing beyond 3.5 @ 1080p?

I have two 980s in SLI and run games on 1440p. It's barely able to handle GTA V on ultra at a steady 60 fps, with FXAA and TXAA on, and 2xMSAA. So I would not expect a 970 to be able to handle 1440p ultra TW3.

I have a 780ti and a 2560x1440 monitor as part of my setup. Just for reference I get about 40 FPS with ubersampling and 60 fps without. You could sacrifice some AA with the monitor and only see a minor difference.

shadow of mordor with hd textures and gta v

I just bought a 970 and I was also thinking of a 1440p monitor.

But shadows of mordor is the only game I've read in general that people can have problems with a 970. Even GTAV seems fine for what I read most times.

You sure you dont have the shadowplay process/service running right?

I have two 980s in SLI and run games on 1440p. It's barely able to handle GTA V on ultra at a steady 60 fps, with FXAA and TXAA on, and 2xMSAA. So I would not expect a 970 to be able to handle 1440p ultra TW3.

Challenge Accepted.

----
If it's possible(also depending on drivers, etc). I'm going to find the maximum sweet spot by tweaking the shit out of the game's various configuration files. Without using hardware antialiasing ofc (if the game does indeed have it).

Side note: according to the xml files, hairworks by default enables msaa on hair/fur when it's turned on. I'd imagine you'd get a lot more oomph for the performance by disabling that hw aa attached to it. (again, if it does indeed use hw aa)

But shadows of mordor is the only game I've read in general that people can have problems with a 970. Even GTAV seems fine for what I read most times.

shadowplay is not running

shadowplay is not running

I don't know then, sounds like a very specifically bad case if a 970 can't even do at 1080p properly.

Anyway, I'm interested in those tests @Asmodean778 so thanks for volunteering. I have no problem disabling some minor stuff to render at 1440p and run at a minimum of 30 fps from time to time in heavy scenes, so hopefully it's possible.

I don't know then, sounds like a very specifically bad case if a 970 can't even do at 1080p properly.

Anyway, I'm interested in those tests @Asmodean778 so thanks for volunteering. I have no problem disabling some minor stuff to render at 1440p and run at a minimum of 30 fps from time to time in heavy scenes, so hopefully it's possible.

As long as you're not running gameworks related stuff like hairworks. I don't see you dipping down to 30 FPS.

I've tried but I cannot, all option appears in grey and unchangeble. Even in "create custom resolution" doesn't allow me try it. Well, this is the first installation PC doesn't made by me but in a store. Maybe I decide to uninstal W7 and make a new instalationf from zero.

Thank you very much to all of you and your advises.

Have you tried using DSR factors instead of custom resolutions ? Delete all custom resolutions you made and then enable DSR factors in Nvidia control panel and choose the resolution factors you want (I select all of them no harm), you should then see new resolutions in games.

EDIT:

I also have 980 SLI and it handles GTA V on ultra quite easily, no fps drops or anything. I am playing at 1440p (DSR) and 2xMSAA + FXAA, the only thing I am not using is TXAA as I don't like it but I'll try today.

Last edited:
shadow of mordor everything ultra with hd textures and gta v everything ultra
Shadow of Mordor runs into problems with anything other than Titans.

GTAV runs just fine maxed out if you know how to tweak your settings. I'm running it fairly close to max out in standard settings (with grass detail on very high and not using PCSS) @ 3440x1440 (which is roughly 2.4x 1080p) with FXAA enabled.

Here it's running with over 3.6GB of VRAM usage without resulting to frame rate drops or stutters. Both frame rates and frame times are smooth all the time.

It's not like the problem doesn't exist, but it's way overblown.

Last edited:
I prefer having both though.

That's a question of money then IMO. It always depends on what you are willing to give. But if you HAVE to choose I mean, in design. Idk, I would just make multiple models. But big screen and low resolution is just a bad design choice.

Different setups are also a problem.
I heard about people having no problem with SoM or GTAV on ultra and a 970.

You got to benchmark here.
CPU usage, GPU usage, RAM usage, VRAM usage, Fan Speeds, Temperatures, maybe there is something unusual.
If you see that non of your hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, VRAM) has a problem you might want to check the hard drive. I know it is not usual but in rare cases it can be the problem, maybe it's nor working correctly or something like that.

As for the VRAM thing.... Well, idk. As far as I can tell the problems do not occur for everyone. And for some they only occur for 2 - 3 seconds while the card is just "crossing" from <3,5 to >3,5 GB VRAM. If the game however might always be AROUND this particular usage it might cause more frequent FPS problems.

Still, idk.

Greetings good forum folks,

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a 2560x1440 monitor for my trusty GTX970 card, or if i should wait until after (and play TW3 on my old 1920x1200 monitor).

I'm worried if the GTX970 will be playable on 1440p (for me that means at least 30fps) on high/ultra. I don't use AA, and frankly, on a 27" 1440p i would not miss it anyway.

Looking forward to hear some opinions from the knowing amongst you. :)

SHOULD work, theoretically.

I know it is not THAT demanding of a game, but I played MGSVGZ just recently with everything on "extra high" (that's japanese for "ultra" ;) :p ) and Framrate unlocked and I was getting a constant 60 FPS with the occasional drop to 59 or 58 FPS (but I really think that was region-based, natural fluctuations IMO if it is just 1 - 2 frames).

While recording with FRAPS I has massive drops down to 15 FPS, but the card was not the problem (GPU usage rarely went over 70%), I think the problem was me recording and playing on the same HDD (A thing I did change now and already tried with other games (MUCH smoother performance. Previously had FPS drops down to 24 FPS on TW1 when recording, now I have constant 55 - 90 FPS, and that game is poorly optimized).

Anyway, not sure about SoM, but I'm soon about to find out.
As for the Skyrim mods, I think there is only SO much you can actually do with a specific setup. Sure there will be a limit when you will get massive drops, there is no way around it. If you REALLY want a 1440p setup and are unsure about the VRAM I'd say wait for the GTX970 with 8GB VRAM. If you are unsure about the general performance, the GTX980 costs about double the price, it just depends on your budget.

I myslef am atm satisfied with my GTX970. I hope to be able to play TW3 on my 1680x1050 screen with on ultra WHILE recording and maybe even be able to enable AAx2 when going down to "high" settings (got to balance and try that out to see what looks better). Also, even if FRAPS will not play along and record on 1680x1050 on ultra, Shadowplay might be a better choice anyway, because with that I can record in 1080p while playing with my native 1050p resolution on my monitor.

Idk, I'd say it depends on your budget. ATM the GTX970 is the 4th most powerful Nvidia Card you can get (There is the Titan X, GTX980, GTX 780 and then I guess comes the GTX970. At least that is the rank I got in my mind).

With Ultra Textures and a high resolution. YES. Definitely. That is almost like TW2s US back in the days.....

It is highly depended on your setup (CPU, GPU, RAM, MB, HDD, Colling-Systems, Overclock settings, etc.) like almost everything if you are a PC gamer. That's just the wonder and cure of PC gaming. Millions of individual setups and combinations..... but, unfortunately a million errors and problems with it if you have bad luck and choose the wrong combo.

Whenever one has to build a new PC it means trying and trying and trying until everything works fine. That is just the disadvantage in comparison with consoles. But the advantages are so gorgeous and amazing..... ;)

Last edited:

GTAV runs just fine maxed out if you know how to tweak your settings. I'm running it fairly close to max out in standard settings (with grass detail on very high and not using PCSS) @ 3440x1440 (which is roughly 2.4x 1080p) with FXAA enabled.

Here it's running with over 3.6GB of VRAM usage without resulting to frame rate drops or stutters. Both frame rates and frame times are smooth all the time.

there youre using 3,6 gb, try using 4 gb on a single gtx 970

Top Bottom