CDPR wants TW3 to be better than Skyrim and Dragon Age

+
What wrong with getting better with Skyrim and DA? Yes, TW is catered for mature audiences but I don't think impossible.

Remember that it's an open-world game and players have the freedom to play it their own way. I think this includes the option to skip mature quests where in W2 you don't have that choice.

edit: What I mean about mature quest is breast scenes ^^

Aver

Forum veteran
heresoon said:
Remember that it's an open-world game and players have the freedom to play it their own way. I think this includes the option to skip mature quests where in W2 you don't have that choice.

What do you mean by 'skipping mature quests'? What do you consider mature quest? I would say that whole storyline of TW2 was more mature than average game and not because of breasts or gore.

cmdrflashheart said:
Lol, c'mon. Forgetting everything else that's monumentally wrong with the above statment, the choice and consequence system for each game is fundamentally different: one has an amoral approach, while the other is more black/white. Sorry, no cigar, no cracker, no go.

As Costin has said, I was talking about the gameplay of The Witcher 2, not the game. The combat of The Witcher 2 just feels like a poor attempt to copy Demons Souls.

tracido said:
Actually, on the contrary, when REMOVED from a story to sell content to broader audiences you lose more than that, you lose reference points in believability and if you also understand that counterpoint then what you said holds only in some cases, not all.

Skyrim and Dragon Age 2 were not possible to be taken seriously specifically because they refuse to touch on these subjects in reference to the cast you need to feel for. I also read your further comments, though. I also, understand the want for say a hotter male scene, fairer treatment of women in that regard because some are very truly ugly(the males I'm talking about here).

However, even the sexism in this fantasy is captured by the time period represented in the novels and fits perfectly into authenticity.

Point is this series was always BETTER, it doesn't need to be any more, and going for more size is fine, but never cut back on the 'questionable' that needs to be not fucked with to keep the impact and realism for genuine NPC and PC feelings.
Skyrim and DA 2 do touch this things but is a lot more superficial but they have all the "dark theme" too and this do not make them more mature, I do think The Witcher world is sexist but that does not make it a sexist product because it is suppose to copy the suppose "real world" with a lot of liberties (since I am not going to explain again why Saskia armor piss me off, etc...), even so I do prefer this kind of approach since even in our world there are problems and a lot of them are base on two genders bias but sometimes they could present this problems in a better way.

Hum about killing children, I think some countries ban games base on that I think Germany is one could be wrong. I doubt TW 3 is going to allow that either. Also the first mod I put on Skyrim was to be able to kill everyone even if you fail the quest that is a mechanic that is suppose to be in the game, I never understood why they did that.

Also In a open world like this with a define character there a lot of things that are restrict to the player and I am not really seeing Geralt killing children just because. Just like in RDR every time you did a stupid thing, he would say " what I am doing?". You never could really choice to be bad. So yes even if you have an open world that does not mean you going to have the freedom to do everything you want, since this is suppose to me more story base then exploration. Also skipping the main quests just like in Skyrim I think is going to be a lot more hard, what I heard is there are 3 levels of quests, the more intimate quest for Geralt, the world quest and side quests. If people are going to skip quests in a game with a strong story, you will be losing a lot in my opinion.  

dracolich55 said:
As Costin has said, I was talking about the gameplay of The Witcher 2, not the game. The combat of The Witcher 2 just feels like a poor attempt to copy Demons Souls.

Not fair though because Dark/Demons Souls has so many classes and they're not bound by the lore of the book. The only thing they really copied is the stats.

Personally I'd like TW3 to copy some of the exploration in Dark Souls with jumping and vertical structure.

I don't know. I keep hearing about how great DS is. Well, I paid good money for the pc vesion, mostly due to Costin's fan-boisms towards it and it was an abomination. Horrible, horrible port. It was so bad, that there might have been a good game under it all. But I couldn't find it.

Zanderat said:
I don't know. I keep hearing about how great DS is. Well, I paid good money for the pc vesion, mostly due to Costin's fan-boisms towards it and it was an abomination. Horrible, horrible port. It was so bad, that there might have been a good game under it all. But I couldn't find it.

keep trying. get a controller or learn how to use the keyboard with no mouse,WASD for movement IJKL for camera.

complaining about how bad a port it is isn't going to get you your money back and it's keeping you from enjoying the game.

guipit said:
keep trying. get a controller or learn how to use the keyboard with no mouse.

complaining about how bad a port it is isn't going to get you your money back and it's keeping you from enjoying the game.
All good points. Still, should one really have to try that hard to enjoy a game? I will give it another shot at some point.

edit: with a controller. ;)

Zanderat said:

get a controller. I tried without and it was unplayable, terrible, unbelievably bad. Then I bought an xbox360 controller for the pc. And then it was amazing. (and I say this as a pc gamer, not too fond of consoles mostly)

Mihura said:
Hum about killing children, I think some countries ban games base on that I think Germany is one could be wrong. I doubt TW 3 is going to allow that either. Also the first mod I put on Skyrim was to be able to kill everyone even if you fail the quest that is a mechanic that is suppose to be in the game, I never understood why they did that.

Hard to say, violence and gore isn't the real problem in Germany, it's more the use of it. If it fits the game, story and proceeds it, it is "okay-ish" nowadays, even God of War 3 is uncut here and that was a bloody mess.
But if it is just for the fun or for the sake of it, it is absolutely a no-go.

Zanderat said:
Still, should one really have to try that hard to enjoy a game?

Sometimes, yes.

Reading a good book without understanding the themes,language and syntax is hard but you should still read it. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

You don't need a controller and it'll probably take a long time before you buy one so maybe just borrow one from a friend. If you defeat the Bellfry Gargoyles then you're allowed to have an opinion of the game imo.

Agent_Blue

Kallelinski said:
Hard to say, violence and gore isn't the real problem in Germany, it's more the use of it. If it fits the game, story and proceeds it, it is "okay-ish" nowadays, even God of War 3 is uncut here and that was a bloody mess.

You do realize that's terribly subjective, right? On what grounds do they dictate which violence is in-story and which is gratuitous? Do they flip a coin?

How ironic that a board of state official reviewers would turn a blind eye on mass murder in a videogame but suddenly be appalled by the killing of a single underage individual in the same game.

AgentBlue said:
You do realize that's terribly subjective, right? On what grounds do they dictate which violence is in-story and which is gratuitous? Do they flip a coin?

How ironic that a board of state official reviewers would turn a blind eye on mass murder in a videogame but suddenly be appalled by the killing of a single underage individual.

I don't want to go off topic, just wanna say that the whole system behind that is much more complicated than my sentence could possibly mean.

The bawling about "german games are always censored, because they hate videogames" might be true for the 90s, but not today anymore.

Agent_Blue

Kallelinski said:
I don't want to go off topic, just wanna say that the whole system behind that is much more complicated than my sentence could possibly mean.

The bawling about "german games are always censored, because they hate videogames" might be true for the 90s, but not today anymore.

Fair enough. TW2 isn't Pokémon so as long as age rating is clearly stated, everyone can make an educated purchase.

Mihura said:

Skyrim and DA 2 do touch this things but is a lot more superficial but they have all the "dark theme" too and this do not make them more mature, I do think The Witcher world is sexist but that does not make it a sexist product because it is suppose to copy the suppose "real world" with a lot of liberties (since I am not going to explain again why Saskia armor piss me off, etc...), even so I do prefer this kind of approach since even in our world there are problems and a lot of them are base on two genders bias but sometimes they could present this problems in a better way.

Also In a open world like this with a define character there a lot of things that are restrict to the player and I am not really seeing Geralt killing children just because. Just like in RDR every time you did a stupid thing, he would say " what I am doing?". You never could really choice to be bad. So yes even if you have an open world that does not mean you going to have the freedom to do everything you want, since this is suppose to me more story base then exploration. Also skipping the main quests just like in Skyrim I think is going to be a lot more hard, what I heard is there are 3 levels of quests, the more intimate quest for Geralt, the world quest and side quests. If people are going to skip quests in a game with a strong story, you will be losing a lot in my opinion.  

Skyrim and DA are also quite different, DA did try a bit harder to give a human element but was FORCED to censor it, or the game would not come out. Skyrim is like a Saturday morning cartoon compared to the first DA. Both however failed to deliver any true deep feeling towards my characters. As for Saskia's armor, I even saw that point, but with a company taking the risks these guys are over any other one in existence, I really don't care.

They can add in a bit of sex appeal if they like, I just say add it on both sides. Doesn't matter what I say though, what matters is that they dare to go where none will, I'll stick with them overall.

About killing children, I believe you got the wrong idea here. I never intended to kill children, what happened to me was, I was fighting a dragon, saw a child and instinctively thought, I had to save them, just to see the kid get turned into burnt toast and not even flinch. That is an immersion breaker. The issue is some countries will flip if you make a game where you participate in the killing and it's done to show fun in murder, or something specifically sadistic.

Ours on the other hand required I believe, the count was 15 cuts/camera angles to get the Witcher 2 an M rating, the point is no other company would work with the ratings board so carefully to ensure as much as possible is not edited. Bless them for that.

Also, as for story skipping, I'm not sure about missing anything in these games, I was even into the DLC quests, and also no other company gives what this one did for DLC.

Mihura said:

Right the context of the violence has a factor, I do understand. I just disagree with banning of any kind of media or entertainment that does not harm anything but pixels, even in Aussie, and Britain like Manhunt 2.

tracido said:
I just disagree with banning of any kind of media or entertainment that does not harm anything but pixels, even in Aussie, and Britain like Manhunt 2.

agree with most of your post, but as far as no pixels harmed, I think that point is at least debatable depending on circumstances. As in, I don't think even a game like manhunt/2 should be banned for adults even though I wouldn't play it and don't see much point in it personally, but there are examples like reipurei where I have not much of an issue of it being banned, especially as in this particular case it becomes less of a "no pixels harmed" issue, seeing it's not just random fantasy but a (cheap) simulator for an actual problem in the country it was released. I think it has a lot to do with artistic quality and lack thereof to make a decision if censoring something really extreme is at least an option or not. I could provide examples but it's really too OT in this thread. :)

Zanderat said:

The mouse controls are horrible, but if you get THESE TWO mods it will work quite well on mouse and keyboard.

Mouse Fix: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~petska/

Required for Mouse: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/

Zanderat said:

oh and also get dsfix

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

Top Bottom