Combat in The Witcher 3

+
Theres been some great conversations on this board about difficulty levels, I'd suggest you have a search and see, lots of good, clear ideas on better systems than simply increasing number of enemies or their hitpoints. I think most of us hope for something more involved than that.

I've said it before so I won't go into detail here, but FCR for TW2 - while I can see how it might apply to TW3 in its fluidity - made TW2 far too easy, and brought it down to what it never was before..... button mashing to win.

In their latest interview with IGN India:

That's not saying the combat system will be exactly like Batman: Arkham.
For a lot of players, the combat system in TW2 was a chore (not for me). The FCR didn't help much in my opinion, but it shows they know where are the flaws of their system.
One of their main focus this time is to make a satisfying combat system.

I love the combat system in Arkham games (and mostly everything about this series), but it's a system made for a 20/30 hours long game, and it feels very repetitive and boring in the end (it's also tied to enemy design, which is very redundant). And you can feel overpowered "too soon" if you have normal motricity...
I think it would fit Geralt's fighting style perfectly. I hope they will succeed at making their own "freeflow combat".

I love Batman AA's combat system. The combat animation is amusing and the ability to counter a punch from behind then continue on pounding an armored thug in front of you is very satisfying. You just have to be creative to add variety to you combos.

New combat system?

Okay, so I'm aware that they are taking out the vats-style system, but will I still be able to target certain body parts? I had read that if a monster liked to throw boulders at you, and you chopped its arm off, it would no longer be able to do so, and other monsters could be gimped in similar ways. I liked the amount of depth that added, but is that being taken out along with the vats system?

Wait, they are taking out the system? Was this in a recent interview? I didn't hear about it until now.

Sorry Shiek200 as far as i know no NEW informations about the combat system are out ... thats why i already wrote we need a sidequest gameplaytrailer :D
So we can see it in action you know :D i am sure we all are luring for every piece of information about W3 ;) .

Besides that i also hope some features of the "VATS" ll make it into the new combatsystem... target weak spots of the enemy doesn t sound so bad.
Maybe done via that slow motion feature we had in W2... but i really don t know... just be patient, i hope we get some really new info soon
@Kinl3y

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/21004-Geralt´s-VATS-system

here it was stated i think, that TW3 VATS wont happen

I could be putting too much faith in here-say, so don't take my word for it, but I read that they wanted to take it out to keep all combat in real-time, and not take control away from the player. There's actually another topic about it on the same board. I hope it's wrong, honestly, I liked the idea of a system like this. I mean, I'd prefer it be a light addition, not something one can abuse or rely on, like in Fallout 3, but used as in the example I mentioned in the OP.

I see one mention of it being removed, with no source. Sorry if I don't take his word for it.

Only started this topic to see what was actually known RATHER than take someone's random word for it, so it seems to be (thankfully) unconfirmed, which gives me hope, lol.

I hated arkham combat. It will be very disappointing if TW3 combat will be anywhere close to that. Everything just feels like it happens automatically like with QTE's. I'd even prefer to have no control at all and have it done with cutscenes.

I thoroughly enjoyed Asylum, but haven't bothered with the sequels... played a bit of City in a friends, and it just felt like more of the same.

I'm not knocking the series, just my personal opinion, great fun but once was enough thanks !

I think, in TW3 could be something like counter attack from Batman games, but it would be great if it would be ability which you must learn first. And it should be harder than it is in Batman games.
Another my idea is, that player should attack in the right time to create more powerful combo.
I think it would be nice to see some of this features in game.

It looks like we are fairly split on this business of the counterstrike - maybe even 50/50 - and it's the most mentioned aspect I reckon. Some people want the indicate&counter, others want to have to judge when to counter themselves with no ques but the combat animation.

I'm with the latter.

I think that counter should not interrupt the combo you made before, if you are good in fighting and the counter is used in the right time. But who knows what it will look like in the game.

How is Combat changing in Witcher 3?

Is there any information about how they will be improving the combat? The combat in Witcher 2 was novel at first but incredibly clunky, unresponsive, and downright janky at times. Especially with games like Dark Souls out now, the combat in Witcher 2 is kind of painful to go back to. The control scheme isn't fantastic, the melee combat in particular is extremely finicky, and enemy AI isn't especially enjoyable or impressive.
Now I'm not saying I want them to just make Dark Souls but faster, but taking a good look at the game would potentially help Witcher 3's combat. One of the best things in Dark Souls is that everything that happens in combat is clearly displayed. If a shield is up, it's up. If not, it's not. And enemies don't do things like rotate 190 degrees in a single frame, generally.
I always thought it was bizarre that a Witcher would need to dodge every other attack instead of actively parrying or using signs to evade damage. He (should) wield a sword with quite a lot of skill, but especially early on in W2 he seems like he's totally incompetent.
Of course the Combat hasn't really IMO ever been THE focus of the franchise, but if they are going to make such an effort to make it a challenge, it should be an enjoyable challenge, not a challenge of rolling correctly. Honestly I'd rather it have short, punchy combat than the prolonged almost entirely evasive combat that W2 has (particularly early on). The Witcher is supposed to be agile and an excellent swordsman, but he's never felt like one in my time with either of the Witcher games.

It won't be like Dark souls and I'm glad for it. Not that I hate Dark Souls, but that type of lumbering, slow melee has no place in a Witcher game. And we can be certain group combat is in, as in more than two foes at time.

it will be an amazing game if its anything like batman, the combat in batman arkham city is some of the best I've ever seen.

Conventional counter attacking doesn't fit into witcher series. it's suited for games such as Assassin's Creed where enemies would attack you one by one. in TW games we have hordes of monsters. the player simply cannot just stand and wait for an attack, because more than 10 is coming. so that design won't help.
I'd personally prefer being able to critical hit the enemy after a successful side step. please post your opinions about it.

Dont pls dont
This combat system just not feet RPG game

I don't like turn-based slow sword fighting. It's dull and boring, the witcher 2 is almost just like that. There's no skill involved at all it just comes down to attacking 1 target that you've locked on to and then rolling away, rinse and repeat, because that's all it allows you to do.

You can't counter an enemy behind you and next to you, or counter 2 or 3 in some kind of awesome combo move. It's the fluidity of the batman arkham city games combat that I love. It's based on reaction speed, and perfect timing, skill and it allows you to fight multiple enemies at the same time that are all around you.

I want to be able to do that with a sword in the witcher 3. Frankly I think it would be absolutely awesome.

Top Bottom