Combat in The Witcher 3

+
The combat is completely fine for me. I enjoy it much more than in TW2, but I don't have high expectations in this regard anyway.

Yea I'm starting to come to terms with the fact the game is more fantasy oriented... I guess they assumed since the game is full of crazy fantasy stuff, they had to even it out with wild dance sword swinging....

I still hold out hope that modders will be able to tap into the swordplay when the modkit comes out, and make it work properly...but some of us just want to stab and cut and swing normally with a method, and not button mash a sword dance.

I like the combat a lot, I just thought Geralt would have more moves in general including finishers more like ME SoM.I do wish the controls could be faster/combat faster like ME SoM/ Dragon's Dogma. I would be nice to attack and block or cast a sign faster in general.Most games are fast and instant, this combat has a delay. I also hate having to always... fix my armor and swords all the time :(

I absolutely adore combat in this game, great animations, geralt after an attack isn't returning magically do default position (bloodborne) but it holding the sword where he finished the swing, dodges are great, responsive, hitbox are mostly fine, sign/bombs are useful, when enemies are hit they stagger and take a step back instead of sliding back like in most games (again, bloodborne)... I really don't see the problem, this is one of the best combat system in RPG games up to date imo.

Oh, almost forgot, the moment Witcher games start using normal "attacks" (3-5 quick attack animations) is the moment I don't buy the game, all these spins, rolls etc. is just how Witchers fight, can't imagine combat system without them.

Last edited:
Also, thank God you finally can attack directionally with the WASD keys, without having to position the camera towards the enemy.

Who Really Even Uses The Lock On Enemy Target Feature, On Consoles Or PC??

I don't know about you, but I almost never use it and I feel RS could be used for something better.
What do you think?

I love the combat in this game, one of the best combat systems so far. Could use a few refinements here and there. But I think they nailed it with this game.

Combat is fine its the limited skill slots that i have an axe to grind with. Past few levels i now have unspent skill points cause i have not more slots. Would have loved 8 more slots and they do not need a mutagen on em, just slots so i can actually spend my skill points on something that can be used.

Yea I'm starting to come to terms with the fact the game is more fantasy oriented... I guess they assumed since the game is full of crazy fantasy stuff, they had to even it out with wild dance sword swinging....

I still hold out hope that modders will be able to tap into the swordplay when the modkit comes out, and make it work properly...but some of us just want to stab and cut and swing normally with a method, and not button mash a sword dance.

Geralt is a witcher, and that is the witcher style of combat. They are faster and a lot more agile than normal human beings.

So yes fantasy ofcourse comes into it, Geralt is not restrained by human limitations(for the most part)

Last edited:
Combat is fine its the limited skill slots that i have an axe to grind with. Past few levels i now have unspent skill points cause i have not more slots. Would have loved 8 more slots and they do not need a mutagen on em, just slots so i can actually spend my skill points on something that can be used.

Start thinking about your playstyle, find out which currently equipped skills are basically useless for you, some may become redundant towards the end of the game. I just unlocked the last slot and I felt a little bad about it myself, but I can already see 2 or 3 skills that I could easily swap for much better ones. I'm actually starting to like this system, since you have to figure out which specific skills you want which in itself can be viewed as a meta-game.

You could also keep changing your existing skills for specific fights, but to be honest, the game isn't that hard that you'd really need to do that.

Jumping in fight.

Let me say at first, I really enjoy this game. And I am not posting this "just because" I want to talk bad about an, otherwise unprecedented experience.
I really have an issue with this particular design decision. That is: not being able to jump in fight.

It is very immersion breaking, if you try to reach an enemy who stands on top of a slightly elevated platform (which there are many of) and you are either forced to roll against the edge until you glitch your way up on top (which is not possible in every case), or walk all the way around taking the stairs or a ladder or (if not available) get really far away, until you are outfight then sprint to the edge, and quickly try to jump or climb it before the enemies detect you and you are in the "battle stance" again.

Sea combat is where this becomes truly game breaking for me. For example 'I swim around with boat, I see sirens, I drive nearby, shoot them with crossbow, some are staying under the surface. I get up (which sometimes doesn't work, but that's an entirely different issue) I try to get out of the boat, but I can't, because I am still in fight and cannot jump. If I try really hard, I can roll over the front or the back end of the boat, but this is clearly not intended, looks weird and does not always work. When I am in the water I often cannot dive if I am still in fight.

We can bind separate keys to "Jump" and "roll" /"dodge", why can't we use them regardless of whether we are in fight or not?
Is this something that can be changed patched for the PC version ?

Thanks in advance.

That does not work for me, I rebound my keys. So I hold "attack modyfier" and then "dodge" and "roll", in both cases Geralt performs a normal dodge or combat roll.

EDIT: just tried it with reset "default" controls, I still cannot perform a jump in fight

Last edited:
Well if I hold shift (sprint button) and then press space bar when I'm in combat, Geralt jumps.

Weird, must only work for me then.

Well if I hold shift (sprint button) and then press space bar when I'm in combat, Geralt jumps.

Weird, must only work for me then

Are you sure you're not mixing it up with the regular combat roll ?

o_O I have to try this one... I died sometimes because I was trapped between stuff that was as high as Geralt's knee and I had no chance to jump over it.

Please report back, when you tried it out.
I had the same problem and for me the "hold shift and press spacebar" approach does not work.
I would be very surprised if jumping in fight were indeed possible.

Last edited:
Geralt is a witcher, and that is the witcher style of combat. They are faster and a lot more agile than normal human beings.

So yes fantasy ofcourse comes into it, Geralt is not restrained by human limitations(for the most part)

riiiiiiiiiiiight.... the same way he's not supposed to have emotions right.... yet throughout the game you see him getting emotional a few times (think he actually cried when he thought Ciri died) So no you or CD red can't play that card with me or anyone else, the card that says "Everything is uniquely patterned without deviation or contradiction" because it clearly doesn't work like that

The combat is not broken, but it isn't what it could and really should have been, which is a big leap forward from Witcher 2.. instead it was a single step forward.... But that doesn't sit well with me and many others because the game took drastic leaps in almost every other area you can think of, on so many levels.... and absolutely succeeded, while seemingly forgetting two extremely important components to an RPG game COMBAT and LOOT SYSTEM.

It's not all about HUGE EXPANSIVE WORLDS WITH HUNDREDS OF HOURS OF QUESTS.... that doesn't mean much when your interactions with that world are limited..
and YES I do feel limited in the game, I feel limited with the Combat, limited with the character movement which is clunky at best (I avoid riding or calling Roach unless it's absolutely necessary) and fighting or finishing a level 20 quest to get a reward of some level 15 sword.... yea I'd say those are some kind of limits definitely... good news is 5 patches since release, so clearly they're working hard on the game still

Last edited:
You can jump in a fight, hold shift and then press spacebar.
Damn, and I just knew after beating the game, just like rolling after jumping down from a high place using double tap on jump button. Thanks for the info, definitely useful for next playthrough.

Can someone please explain in greater detail how to perform a jump while fighting enemies?

I reset my controls, held shift and pressed spacebar. Geralt performs a combat roll, regardless of whether I hold shift or not. I tried every possible combination, I am still unaware of how to perform a Jump in the middle of a fight.

Top Bottom