Constructive opinions based on the gameplay videos that are released in 2015 (NO DOWNGRADE TALK)

+
ofcourse a game MAINLY about seeing if a person is lying through their facial animations (LA NOIRE) is going to have better animations than a game like this.
they spent millions on that tech alone
True but that was a few years back. With today's hardware facial capture is not only easier but also a lot cheaper. I agree that in a huge RPG it would be insane to do facial capture for each and everyone. But it could have been done for the main characters at least (e.g. Geralt), especially during the main storyline.

Of course that's not something I demand. It's just something I've observed. And let's not forget that it was CDPR who said that their game will graphically and technically blow our minds. Lifelike animations are part of that promised experience tbh. Static textures and stuff are all nice of course but the quality of animations determine whether a game looks immersive and great or just uncanny imo. So it's definitely something to improve on. It's something the Red Engine 3 and the games made with it could really benefit from.

Geralt is fast, and it didnt seem unrealistic to me, i can run faster than that IRL
Yeah of course, one can SPRINT faster than that but for how long? 100m? 200m? And I didn't see a stamina bar for Geralt while running. Does that mean that he can run indefinitely? Or does he just stop running after a few meters?

Actually that also rises the question if there are just walking and running or if you have a fine scale for movement speed. And if that's the case, how will it work with M/K?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the colour palette will heavily depend on the location. For instance Novigrad will be more colorful than the swamps in No Man's Land.
They did the same in Witcher 2.

- The snow is just a flat texture, there isn't any depth to it at all and the sound effects doesn't sound like someone walking in the snow, nor do the animations reflect that.
True. Another good thing they didn't copy from Assassin's Creed. I'd say AC3 is the gold standard here. Every time I see a game with snow I feel pretty disappointed when the snow is just a flat texture...

What I liked:
I like how thick the vegetation is at times

I like the character models and much of the enviroments

I like the music

I like how vegetation moves when you pass by it

I liked the wind affecting the trees and such

Combat looked fun.

I liked how active and comfy the village Vesemir and Geralt went to seemed (Children playing, people working, animals, etc)

I liked that voice actors seem varied among people

I liked Aard affecting and breaking objects.

What I didn't like or noticed that could be worked on:

I noticed a few weird animations. Him jumping over that one wall looked a bit weird, his hair clips into his scarf a bit at times, sword sheath looked weird at bits.

The sounds of the horse hooves could be a bit more dynamic and changing. depending on material it's walking on. Not a big issue to me, just something I noticed.

The HUD is a bit too large, maybe it's HUD scaling due to probably being played on a large TV. Who knows. I'd like options to disable things, even if I have to use console commands.

Door opening was a bit weird, not a big deal.

A developer confirmed the HUD is completely customizable in the HUD thread. So thats some good news.

---------- Updated at 11:20 PM ----------

True. Another good thing they didn't copy from Assassin's Creed. I'd say AC3 is the gold standard here. Every time I see a game with snow I feel pretty disappointed when the snow is just a flat texture...

Snow was probably the only good thing AC3 did.

View attachment 9715

No armpit hair? Really? Is Geralt a grown up, independent man of the wild or a spoilt, nice little boy who read to many American fashion magazines? That's terrible...

And on a second note: there is something wrong with the anatomy here. There shouldn't be a strain of muscle directly in the armpit. ;)

Attachments

• 2015-01-27_002511.jpg
    2015-01-27_002511.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 38
Yeah of course, one can SPRINT faster than that but for how long? 100m? 200m? And I didn't see a stamina bar for Geralt while running. Does that mean that he can run indefinitely? Or does he just stop running after a few meters?

actually his stamina does go down while sprinting :)

Ok, so there we go, I know that most of these probably can't be changed at this point but here are my thoughts about the demo.

The good points:
- Animations, in my opinion, looks absolutely great, I love the facial as well as the combat animations, it looks dynamic and "lively".

- The environment and the sound to accompany it, you can hear the wind, you can "see" the wind, in the trees, the grass, even in Geralt's hair, awesome.

- Speaking of sounds, I love the environmental sounds as well as the music, in the previous demos we could hear a recurring theme in combats, now we could hear something different and very pleasant, it was very atmospheric over all.

- The variety in NPCs, their faces and style really shows the attention to details CDPR put in the world.

- The graphics, the oh so taboo subject, in my opinion they looked absolutely great, lots of details, overall good textures, I don't know if the dynamic weather is still present in the game but I can't wait to see more of it.

- The Combats, loved it, looks very fluid, animations are awesome, spells look great and I loved the finishers.

The not so good points:
- The interface (the little we seen), while I believe we will be able to scale it, the design itself seemed a but "rough", the "active pause" menu for example really didn;t looked as great as in The Witcher 2 I feel.

- The Horse, I know, I know, little details but the tail looked a bit "stiff" and the hooves while running looked dis-formed somehow, othe that that though, animation was really good.

- Geralt's face, I don't know why but, while I think he looks bad ass, he face seemed weird, like too big eyes or something, again, little details.

On the top of my head, that's what I got from it, most likely forgetting things but oh well. As you can see, lots of little details which honestly isn't a big deal, overall I got a fantastic impression of the demo and now I am more hyped than ever!

:cheers:

And on a second note: there is something wrong with the anatomy here. There shouldn't be a strain of muscle directly in the armpit.
yes there should, i have it albeit not as large as my muscles are not that large, stop trying to nitpick everything

1. Why is it when Geralt walks on snow, it sounds as if he were stepping on stone? (0:45)
2. Why does the horse stamina recovers so fast? (1:43)
3. Why when Geralt opens the door, it opens so lightly? (7:43)
4. Why does Geralt enter the water without any resistance? (10:12)

Why there are no snowbanks as in the Assassin's Creed III? :p

- game is way too colorful i want at least one fucking place with is grey or looks like killing monsters trailer

This!
Less colorful graphics is always more atmospheric.
This isn't over-saturated like in TW2, but it could still be a little bit less colorful.

Witcher mutations do strange things to the human body.

LOL, you guys have an excuse for everything... :p

when he sprints into the water his stamina 100% certainly drops....
In the video I've watched (PC version) his stamina didn't drop while sprinting in the first little village.

This!
Less colorful graphics is always more atmospheric.
This isn't over-saturated like in TW2, but it could still be a little bit less colorful.
Skellige Islands are colourful and "warm". That's what we see in the videos now because the game obviously starts on Skellige. No man's land is only dark with a lot of grey and brown so you will get your less colourful area later in the game. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom