Constructive opinions based on the gameplay videos that are released in 2015 (NO DOWNGRADE TALK)

+
Snowless trees are in line with a general depreciation of the foliage quality when compared to previous trailers.
That can happen in a forest in the spring, there's snow on the ground and no snow on trees. But i agree about the footprints. Even the old Assassins creed 3 had tesselated snowprints and trails.(on PC of cource)

Changed the URL with orig.jpg on a hunch and it worked :p click to open in new tab and if it's not evident already, those aren't game screenshots. Looks like they listed some of the popular works where they took look/atmosphere inspirations from

Last edited:
(not sure if this wasn't already mentioned)

During first fight (with ghosts), I was surprised with their health bar - two of them had (almost ?) full health and if they were hit (igni, sword), nothing has changed, after that they died instantly.
I know there can be critical hits and one was hit from behind, but still I was surprised, when something gets direct hit and lifebar looks still same ... maybe animation/sound does not match with "missed" (there is not mentioned any point of hit to wraith..).

Other things look fantastic. The only thing I am worried about is story - not about quality, but just about course. I now it's not possible to satisfy everyone, but I just want to help some sides and don't want to have anything common with other..

Hardly 'marketing' it's just up on their wall in the office, I suppose those who visit and aren't aware could get some ideas

Cdprojektred the gameplay trailer (more like a cutscene trailer and less of gameplay)was good and informative but we need a trailer solely based on open world gameplay(since it is your first open world for the witcher series) like the dense snowy lands,desert,weather(rain,etc) and more sea with some or very few MONSTERS appering on those areas
Well thank you for the trailer!!!

Last edited:
I predict in future people saying that the witcher is like game of thrones but with a lot of monsters (because dark fantasy stories are a copy of game of thrones,obviously)

Hardly 'marketing' it's just up on their wall in the office, I suppose those who visit and aren't aware could get some ideas

Well, game journos obviously do the comparison as well... ;)

---------- Updated at 11:22 AM ----------

Well we've seen Skellige in the latest video, and it seems significantly brighter and cheerier to me. I thought the colors better conveyed the mood in earlier screenshots.
Well, it's maybe worth to mention that not everything we saw in the latest video was set on Skellige Islands.

The beginning of the game (the scenes in which Geralt hunts the Griffon and where he talks to the Nilfgaardian officer) is NOT set on Skellige. I guess it's instead footage that shows the surroundings of Novigrad (would fit to the warmer color palette with more yellow and red) or a completely different region on its own. Only the snowy scene showed Skellige and imo that scene had a lot "cooler" color than the other scenes which also fits to CDPR's envisioned color palette for different regions according to the poster above...

After watching all videos again and again there is one big thing I didn't mention earlier ;

maybe is to late for that - It is my opinion don't shoot me

That YELOW orange texture(SAND?) of water banks looks to simple and repetitive all across whole world of Witcher 3
(I'm nitpicking - but that color is hurting my eyes and looks unnatural)

Please CDPR put at least some variation in that water bank of Novigrad

Don't know how that ground looks under different lightning but so far I saw only sunny pictures.
-That same texture is behind griffin when he snatch that mule from peasant
-Again -when entering in village with Vesemir ,
i would like some gray texture with or without pebbles near the river

And texture of water in that village looks like sea or it is river- I'm confused.
-it has unnatural waves if it is a river

Attachments

• witcher3 bank.jpg
    witcher3 bank.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 39
  • GravelSpecial0011_2_thumblarge.jpg
    GravelSpecial0011_2_thumblarge.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 32
  • pebble shore.jpg
    pebble shore.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 48
@korov I just want to point out that the thread title mentions opinions based on gameplay videos that are released in 2015. Which makes sense, because it is the latest footage and the content of 2014 videos is likely very outdated.

@korov I just want to point out that the thread title mentions opinions based on gameplay videos that are released in 2015. Which makes sense, because it is the latest footage and the content of 2014 videos is likely very outdated.

When I say videos- I meant- all of them including last build
And that sand texture will be in the final build of wicher3
-cause is to late to change it.(I was nitpicking)
Few pages back was my opinions of gameplay

---------- Updated at 11:31 AM ----------

Come to Australia mate. That Sand looks natural as shit to me.

No thanks, lovely country but no.

Attachments

• shark-sighted-sign.jpg
    shark-sighted-sign.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 38
I would really like CDPR to release a new "real" PC gameplay video soon - with M/K controls (both ingame and in the UI navigation), ultra settings and maybe one of these scary (and awesome) storms game journos talked about after the hands-on event. Five minutes of that stuff would be more than enough... ;)

@korov - yeah, funny that about sharks, they tend to stick to the water. Sorry, nothing personal, and i don't mean to sound rude, but i'm just irritated beyond belief about all this shark scare-mongering bull.
Besides, there's plenty of things here on land that can deal you a far worse fate than a shark can (*insert various creepy crawly smilies here*) ;)

Back on topic...

So the little things that stand out to me are footprints in the snow, as has been said. As i agree with the sound of footsteps and hooves being the same on every surface.
I hate to bring up Assassin's Creed, but in AC4 (or 3, or 5, or whatever number they were up to at the Conner time), where it snowed, although it looked crap, it actually made sense, and felt decent. Where there was a thin layer of snow, you walked/ran normally. But in heavier snow (eg, where there were no trails), you were slowed down by deep snow, and you left a trail behind you.

Things i noticed with the horse;
- Geralt looks a bit big for the horse. I've said this before when i saw the first ridden gameplay, and i'm saying it again. The horse is too small to him. Both in height and build.

- The horse looks out of proportion. The front end (meaning, the head, neck, shoulders, everything in front of the saddle) look larger than the back end (everything from the saddle back). Now i'm not sure if this is the camera angle or what, but it looks a little wrong.

- The loose reins. Western style of riding has loose, long reins, and held with one hand. English is short reins, held with 2 hands. Mixing the 2 styles is something that seems to happen in every game, and i don't understand the reason for it. It looks like the rider is a total beginner when he's trying to do a mix of both styles (first-time riders will get on and hold the reins very loose, one in each hand). For Geralt, the western style makes more sense, leaving the free hand rested on the leg, and ready to grab the sword. This is a little nit-picky to be honest, but... being a horse person it's something i notice.

- The canter action in the horse is another thing i also bought up a while ago, and it's still here unfortunetly. The stride of the horse is very short and almost jaring. A larger stride would look more flowing and be easier on the eye. Again, this is something that could be solved with a larger horse.

- Other than that, the camera is a little off, yes. In tight areas, it's a little glitchy.

- It's A Goose! Everything in the game does (not need a label. I can see it's a goose. I can see it's a goat. I don't care about what description you give a random NPC. The lables are a little silly to be honest. Just label the important stuff, the important people, the end. Don't lable geese.
(P.S - the geese are awesome!)

I know i'm forgetting some things, but that's that for now. Overall i was blown away. The game looks too good for words.

The horse is too small to him. Both in height and build.

I agree. I felt the same when I first watched it. It's not Skyrim level of chubbiness and disproportion but it does look slightly scaled back. And while we're on that subject, the tub scene with Geralt, there he as well looks slightly out of proportion, his chest too ample, as thought he's been pumping too much iron.

Edit: Paid closer attention to the horse and somehow the impression is gone. It looks fine. The big «horse stamina bar» tag could be replaced by a discrete icon.

Last edited:
And while we're on that subject, the tub scene with Geralt, there he as well looks slightly out of proportion, his chest too ample, as thought he's been pumping too much iron.

I think Geralt's build is just fine. Nothing too overly muscular. About his chest, I think with all that use of heavy swords, it isn't too ample.

I don't think the horse has bad proportions. I think you're forgotting a very basic thing: there are a lot of kind of horses, with different proportions and everything.

Regarding graphics things: I think that when more, things added, better, but... as it is now it looks superb.

I put an example: Frar Cry 4. it is a game that needs a lot of machine, for the best graphics, and on trailer it looks awesome. and the 3dvision looks great, but graphics are worse than witcher ones. Almost all places look the same, and the visual are not very impressive, for today "standards". The important is the gameplay mechanics, and it fails, too, here, cause the variation of things to do is not enough for a world as big as it is shown.

At the same time, people forget two things, when ask graphics
1. Not all the computers share the same power.
2. On consoles they now are working to try to have something harder to do than to add new textures: the 1080p.
3. To add a texture is easy. and 100 too. The hard is the game to run.

So I think you need to control a little, asking so many things

Top Bottom