[DISCUSSION] Witcher 3 - Reviews

+
The Gamestar review is hilariously depressing. Criticizing the game for not being open world (meanwhile citing Skyrim as a prime example of open world) and the main story for not being epic enough. Icing on the cake is they don't even know what Triss looks like.

Oh I didnt know that, if thats the way it was then it doesnt surprise me, IGN is well known for crappy reviews even amongst the crappy norm of game journalism in general. However I dont Alien I was superb or anything close to that, I found it a more or less mediocre game, and Alien is my favourite movie of all times, i wanted to love that game that I've waited long for so much, but it wasnt that good.

I feel like this is true for most reviews I've read though, except from VanOrd and a few others who actually treat the witcher like its a franchise of its own, most reviewers seem to be Bethesda/Bioware/Rockstar fanboys that already go into TW3 with a mindset of "ohh its this european low budget new studio AAA open world wannabe RPG, let's see if it learns from the kings of the genre or not..."

Too bad they're too enamored with their already fave franchises to discover that TW games beat the shit out of them in many aspects and could teach more than one lesson.

It's a matter of time though, CDPR is a nonstop train of hype, talent and hard work, their first open world game seems to be able to compete with the best open worlds ever made, and the rest of their games is pretty amazing in general too, and they just made 3 games, and the first 2 in far from ideal development conditions.

it feels to me asif they are trying to downplay witcher 3 ( my personal opinion judging from what i read)

a boring story?
repetitive side quests?
i admit i havenot played the game , but these 2 statements contradict hat almost every other output has said
this might be a bit controversial , but it feels like EA (as usual) has 'asked' IGN to get back at CD projekt for calling DA:Is sidequest as boring

The Gamestar review is hilariously depressing. Criticizing the game for not being open world (meanwhile citing Skyrim as a prime example of open world) and the main story for not being epic enough. Icing on the cake is they don't even know what Triss looks like.

Bloodworth (gametrailers) actually commented on that saying that he has no idea what those publications are talking about since the main story is full of epic moments, especially the final act.

Oh thats lots of stuff thanks.

---------- Updated at 05:23 PM ----------

Did you even listend to it? The Gamestar people said that they like that the Story isnt that overdriven like DAI and they also praise the great open world. Dont get me wrong i dont want to blame you but you have understood them completly wrong.

Oh thats lots of stuff thanks.

---------- Updated at 05:23 PM ----------

Did you even listend to it? The Gamestar people said that they like that the Story isnt that overdriven like DAI and they also praise the great open world. Dont get me wrong i dont want to blame you but you have understood them completly wrong.

i think this is the one which blamed of w3 not being open worlded ( however the story line was mentioned to be nice ( story was downplayed by ign)
http://www.gamesradar.com/witcher-3-wild-hunt-review/opm/

Reading the spain ign review right now, has it been translated or explained by someone already? if so just gonna say that its a good counter to the english ign review.
really convinces me that the guy form the english review didn't know what he was talking about.

It's kind of weird, hearing some sentences and quotes from some reviews about how the story might not be 'grand' enough or something. Which, going by other reviews that have liked the more personal nature of the story's plot...it just has me thinking about the divide between the stories that can be told. I mean, last-gen I can think it's easy to make the argument that alot of the major games had plots that kept upping the stakes, to the point that the stakes stopped mattering. How many times can you save the world, or the galaxy, before it stops feeling amazing?

For example, I'm a huge Mass Effect fan. Loved the trilogy. But, I think that's an example of the main plot upping the stakes by the same margin each time, and those stakes having a sense of diminishing returns. We pretty much saved the galaxy each time, maybe less so depending on how you did things in the ME3. I think that telling more personal stories are better, and having the huge event of "save the city" or "save the world" is kind of a double edged sword...because once you use it, it can be really tricky to change gears and make what you're doing matter in the grand scheme of the story.

But, I think there are people who really view that kind of story as epic...and probably can't see how a story can match the stakes without hitting that mark. Ultimately, it's about tastes for sure.

I don't understand the Gamesradar site.

What I find strange is that the review is written by the editor of Playstation UK, Phil Iwaniuk (his surname suits him, give or take a couple of letters imho). He gives it an 8.

However, underneath that it says 'more expert opinions' (yeah, sure) and there's another review from a guy called Tom Senior. He also gives it an 8. Seems weird for a site to have two reviews with matching scores.

especially the gamespot reveiw i think,
comparing it with skyrim ( if i remember he mentiond that it wasnot 'open world' because he wasnt abe to dissapear for months ,getting married or joining a guild.Plus due to a few loading screens he didnot consider it as a 'true open world game' as opposed to skyrim which ironically has loading screens eachtime you enter buildings
and houses as opposed to loading screens inbetween massive continents in witcher)

People really do need to understand that skyrim is sandbox( make your own story) as you said , opposed to witcher with a strong story line following the adventures of Geralt of Rivia -The Witcher intsead of a random mister fulffy bunny - The dragon born

EDIT- its games radar
http://www.gamesradar.com/witcher-3-wild-hunt-review/opm/

That's...a really strange review. Not so much the opinions, but the structure is strange. I think it's bad writing to assume that the reader has played certain games to understand the form of reference being used. You'd have to have played Skryim to understand one part of the review, and played Dragon Age Inquistion to understand another. The review sounds like it's essentially a compare and contrast essay with Skyrim and Dragon Age. What use is the review if you haven't played all of the games being used as reference?

I also strongly argue the claim that Triss and Yennefer look like "pirate hookers". That's just absurd, and incendiary. I seriously have no idea where that even came from.

Last edited:
I don't understand the Gamesradar site.

What I find strange is that the review is written by the editor of Playstation UK, Phil Iwaniuk (his surname suits him, give or take a couple of letters imho). He gives it an 8.

However, underneath that it says 'more expert opinions' (yeah, sure) and there's another review from a guy called Tom Senior. He also gives it an 8. Seems weird for a site to have two reviews with matching scores.

yeah , and it is the only site which gave an 8 with the next one being 8.7 and almost all others 10

it seems that both the reviewers try to compare rather than review

That's...a really strange review. Not so much the opinions, but the structure is strange. I think it's bad writing to assume that the reader has played certain games to understand the form of reference being used. You'd have to have played Skryim to understand one part of the review, and played Dragon Age Inquistion to understand another. The review sounds like it's essentially a compare and contrast essay with Skyrim and Dragon Age. What use is the review if you haven't played all of the games being used as reference?

I also strongly argue the claim that Triss and Yennefer look like "pirate hookers". That's just absurd, and incendiary. I seriously have no idea where that even came from.

LOOL They claim Triss and Yennefer looked like hookers? Um hello, has anyone ever met Morrigan from DA that even had a achievement named "witch gone wild"? or dem side boobs from Aela's in Skyrim? Sure hope they treated those game characters in the same light:halt:

Last edited:
I'm not going to link it, but there seems to be a Twitch-Stream of the actual PC version. I just took a quick look and it's certainly running HairWorks, which afaik guarantees it's indeed PC. However, I was under the impression that codes for PC wouldn't be coming any earlier than actual release day. Anybody knows anything about that?

I'm not going to link it, but there seems to be a Twitch-Stream of the actual PC version. I just took a quick look and it's certainly running HairWorks, which afaik guarantees it's indeed PC. However, I was under the impression that codes for PC wouldn't be coming any earlier than actual release day. Anybody knows anything about that?

If it is this one http://www.twitch.tv/gaminglive_TV1 , there's no problem, it is officially organised by Namco Bandai.

The game looks really good on the IGN stream, the only thing that annoys the crap out of me is the huge pop in on some random things like the sails on the huge ships and parts of buildings etc. Vegetation is a bit ''meh' at times but it's a minor issue.

Top Bottom