Diversity in The Witcher 3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
technically since the cultures that flourished in the Mediterranean a little mixed (south: Africa, East: Asia, North, Nordics. The no-references to it that there is something called prejudices simply do .... even at that time!

A little incomplete (about Africa and Asia's own migration's history)

I think Sid was talking about central and eastern Europe. I've always had the idea that the Witcher world, has similarities to areas near medieval Poland, like Lithuania, Prussia and so on.. And while that area certainly had Asian influences (Mongols and other migrating Asian tribes), I doubt they had many interactions with people from Africa.

People care if they find out some upcoming AAA has characters that come from thier country or region. They will support it and get excited about it.

I tell you what, I work with few black guys who play games like COD or SF4 but not RPG's when I asked them why not they said "its full of white people"
First game had one black guy.. brings some more. whats the deal.
Please, don't speak for others.

I'm non-white myself, and the last thing I want is non-white characters hammed into the game just for the sake of 'diversity'. It's rather patronizing, and somewhat offensive to assume that we can't identify with white people and shirk from games just because they don't feature people with the same ethnicity as us. As long as the world is consistent, I don't care if the game features blacks and asians, my immersion into the story and game is what matters not something entirely superficial like the color of the characters' skin.

Last edited:
This is a troll topic. Can I be a little racist? Mods please, let me be.

It's like the shitty, artificial diversity in The Hobbit 2. Black people? It's not that I dislike them, I had a few black fiends back in London (they called me racist but still liked me... I think.). It's about raping the world like fucking Peter Jackson did. A few black guys in the film never hurt anyone, right? Neither adding a new antagonist, nor adding a romance, adding some dumb liquid gold statue and the dwarves coming to fight Smaug. NOR DELETING THE WHOLE GODDAMN MIRKWOOD. Black, gay half-nazi Geralt, anyone? Sure, there u go buddy!

My point is, when you start compromising already existing universe in order to reach wider audience, you end up with crap. Don't worry, they're not gonna do it.

I think the topic can stay open, because it's a subject raised on various occasions, and not only on this forum. I would certainly be interested in discussing it here, especially since we have an open-minded community, which accidentally is also ethnically and racially diverse.

Having said that, I disagree with the notion that a setting has a role other than to serve as the foundation and the background for the story. Modifying the setting for the single purpose of 'inclusivity' is... well, I perceive it as a money grab.

CP2077, now there is not only place for racial diversity, but I believe such diversity is required, otherwise the setting would be flawed.

I think Sid was talking about central and eastern Europe. I've always had the idea that the Witcher world, has similarities to areas near medieval Poland, like Lithuania, Prussia and so on.. And while that area certainly had Asian influences (Mongols and other migrating Asian tribes), I doubt they had many interactions with people from Africa.
The setting would be more likely Northern Europe in general, because besides Slavic themes there are also Celtic and Nordic ones.

Please, don't speak for others.

I'm non-white myself, and the last thing I want is non-white characters hammed into the game just for the sake of 'diversity'. It's rather patronizing, and somewhat offensive to assume that we can't identify with white people and shirk from games just because they don't feature people with the same ethnicity as us. As long as the world is consistent, I don't care if the game features blacks and asians, my immersion into the story and game is what matters not something entirely superficial like the color of the characters' skin.

Were you bother having Azar Javed in game?

Were you bother having Azar Javed in game?
I didn't care either way, it made no difference. What is far more important to me is respecting the developers vision for the game and its world. Should people of various ethnic groups be put into the game? I'd say it's the developers call to make. I don't really like fans dictating the artistic process of a game based on their own preferences and desires.

Well he's certainly not black. The world is not comprised of just white and black people.
What. You cant be serious?

So even if there are Zerrikanian people they are not allowed in TW3 since people get offened by it. I got it. At least I know now. Thanks.

I think @Scheuk is really being reasonable here. I sincerely do not understand why this conversation ever started. When someone talks about ethnic diversity, simultaneously they divide people in groups, which in many cases, it is rarely good and it is a very dangerous thing to do, since anything could go wrong very very fast.
This thread really makes me uncomfortable, under the circumstances it is being developed. There is no reason to push someone to "diversify" the world they created.
After all we are all humans and for the most part, we think very much alike and want the same things. I don't understand why a White person wouldn't relate to a Black character and vise versa.

He is from Zerrikania, which is more like an Arabic country, or northern African. So his skin is darker yes, but not black.
And Zerrikanian's are rare sight in Northern Kingdoms, that's why you don't see them often.

saoe - you appear to be trying to drive this into an argument where none exists.
- Azer Javed is Zerrikanian
- If you choose for some reason to equate his race to one on our planet based on his appearance, it would not be "Black". There are more than two races among human beings.

saoe - you appear to be trying to drive this into an argument where none exists.
- Azer Javed is Zerrikanian
- If you choose for some reason to equate his race to one on our planet based on his appearance, it would not be "Black". There are more than two races among human beings.
Are your serious, you didnt just say that.

Just close it.

What. You cant be serious?

So even if there are Zerrikanian people they are not allowed in TW3 since people get offened by it. I got it. At least I know now. Thanks.

Where in the seven rings of hell did I even say that? I'm all for diversity if it's well established in the lore and it serves a purpose. Don't put words into other people's mouth. Nobody is offended.

Doesnt matter if he is purple, we travel whole northen kingdom and we dont see any travelers from far east or south. Its just wierd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom