Does anybody feel Geralt's dodge speed interrupts flow of the combat?

+
Does anybody feel Geralt's dodge speed interrupts flow of the combat?

Speaking of the dodge animation and general pace of the combat, I think the dodge's rather sluggish speed doesn't match well with his attacks to create a swift and smooth combat. I mean it is smooth in terms of animations, but when engaged in a fight, the combination of attacks and dodges doesn't give me the impression "Wow, that was one INTENSE fight" in the end, you know what I mean? I really love Bloodborne's combat and one of the things that makes it fast is the dodge moves. Almost as fast as the swing. Yet that doesn't necessarily make the game easy.

Maybe the issue is related to the animations themselves. The Witcher3's some of the first gameplay footages (35 min videos, take place in a swamp) show these incredibly well choreographed sidesteps and various dodge moves that seemed to do amazing job at maintaining the speedy pace of the fights. Such a shame we couldn't see them afterwards.

Short answer: YES

Long Answer:
Did i already said YES? The GIFs speak for themselves

And the same is the Roll animation for me, a well detailed and fluid animation but TOO LONG

Yes, I feel the same, I changed my habits and doge only monsters. Humans are parried and countered/killed with Aard. Same goesfor humanoids you cannot parry.

If you have the Rend skill, you can load up a strike before coming out of a roll, counter or dodge. Geralt will automatically strike the enemy almost instantaneously as soon as the dodge/roll/counter movement is complete. It keeps the fighting going in a seamless and smooth manner. It makes the fighting feel more continuous and intense, and also looks cool. Waiting to attack until after will most definitively slow things down. So for example you press roll and while you are in mid roll, you press and hold down strong attack, right before Geralt comes out of his roll, you let go of the attack button. Geralt will immediately attack all in one fast flowing motion. After you do that you can rapid fire rend. Toss in a spell, some blocking, a few fast attacks mixed with some Rend while dodging or rolling here and there and you'll have some nice fast smooth awesome looking fights.

This video was only to demonstrate how fast you can strike coming out of a block, roll or dodge but if you were to add in some more actions it would be more like I described earlier in my post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9U1Qs1yQiU

Last edited:
If you have the Rend skill, you can load up a strike before coming out of a roll, counter or dodge. Geralt will automatically strike the enemy almost instantaneously as soon as the dodge/roll/counter movement is complete. It keeps the fighting going in a seamless and smooth manner. It makes the fighting feel more continuous and intense, and also looks cool. Waiting to attack until after will most definitively slow things down. So for example you press roll and while you are in mid roll, you press and hold down strong attack, right before Geralt comes out of his roll, you let go of the attack button. Geralt will immediately attack all in one fast flowing motion. After you do that you can rapid fire rend. Toss in a spell, some blocking, a few fast attacks mixed with some Rend while dodging or rolling here and there and you'll have some nice fast smooth awesome looking fights.

This video was only to demonstrate how fast you can strike coming out of a block, roll or dodge but if you were to add in some more actions it would be more like I described earlier in my post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9U1Qs1yQiU

Yeah Rend is a very good skill and in that video there was a good use of it. But the point, for me at least, is that with so many cool animations and moves i just can't attack with Rend all the time. I need fast attacks with pirouettes,spins and leaps in my life.

its the whole thing imo, unlike w1 where you had combos here all we have is individual strikes and whirl

staccato combat lol

I like it as is. It has a slight delay akin to Geralt needing to 'set to spring'; I mean, he's not teleporting.

If you're looking for lightning fast 'swishing' around, then that's not here.

I like it as is. It has a slight delay akin to Geralt needing to 'set to spring'; I mean, he's not teleporting.

If you're looking for lightning fast 'swishing' around, then that's not here.

Don't know if you're new to the series but actually that's what i expect from a mutant with enhanced speed and reflexes. In TW1/2 most of the animations were unrealistically fast, for a damn reason, but what i see in TW3 is that they captured the attack animations in the mocap sessions but they did not speed up them like before. They almost kept the same speed of the stunt actor (Maciej from Stunt Forces)

Almost the SAME speed.

Meanwhile in TW1

TW2, a bit slower but still fast

And yes i'm making so many posts in this thread because i'm ANGRY and SAD about this :angry2:
Sorry for my little rant

No, to me it does exactly the opposite...it gives combat a sense of "rhythm" between different speeds that each action takes, which have a more realistic momentum. That's exactly why I enjoy it more than DS or Bloodborne, where you jump back instantly like a frog, or player's movement feels more like controlling a puppet on a string. Look at this "movement" at 2.26... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha8eRiP0DmI&feature=youtu.be
)
This is far more enjoyable, even if it takes a while to get used to...

http://giphy.com/gifs/3oEduRcLeicXQQj0NW/?message=uploaded

Last edited:
Yeah, the vanilla dodge animation is simply badly made.
Geralt seems a 50 years old man.
Well, he is old.

But more than that, I do find this debate interesting. In some parts of the board you hear people saying the combat and game is far too easy, and in another part of the board, there are some people talking about how it should be faster, which would make Geralt even better than he is.

I personally don't mind the dodge or roll. Used correctly they can be devastatingly effective, and incorrectly, they can sometimes get you killed. It may not be the quickest thing in the world, but people typically swing a sword faster than they dodge out of the way, mutant or not.

No, to me it does exactly the opposite...it gives combat a sense of "rhythm" between different speeds that each action takes, which have a more realistic momentum.
Yeah I can see that. I think it's something that becomes amazing when you're really into it, when you're good at it. It's definitely a matter of preference.
I like each sequence of "hit hit dodge hit dodge hit hit.." happening at alomost same quickness. It makes me think I'm one helluva skilled fighter at the end of the fight.

its way too slow even when i started playing the game, some peoples will find it slow only after some hours, some will find it normal, depending on your reaction time and if you use it extensively ( wich you should anyways )

for me the speed should correspond to the 35mn demo gameplay, or make the speed dependent of the armor type geralt is wearing, the lighter the armor is the faster the dodge ect ...

the recovery time is pretty big and break the fight flow

This is a fight, Ciri, not ballet. You can’t move rhythmically in a fight. You have to distract the opponent with your moves, confuse his reactions

I think it's totally ok, because that is exactly a witcher style of fighting - avoid the blow by any means and make lightning-fast hit from unexpected position. This is actually very cool, feels like you are outsmarting your opponent in footwork, though in reality it's just a one-button dodge :D

have a more realistic momentum.

Which is inconsistent with the lore.

---------- Updated at 11:57 AM ----------

Well, he is old.

Yeah, but his body is still young.

---------- Updated at 11:59 AM ----------

But more than that, I do find this debate interesting. In some parts of the board you hear people saying the combat and game is far too easy, and in another part of the board, there are some people talking about how it should be faster, which would make Geralt even better than he is.

The game is easy because of balancement and the fact that AI is mostly stupid.

How is it inconsistent with the lore?...Geralt is a mutated "human" after all, laws of physics apply to him like with everyone else. Animations are excellent...the only thing I would like to have been done differently is replacing one of his spinning attacks with a more straightforward classical slash...especially when you're right next to your opponent.
As for AI...yes, that is the weakest link here, especially with humans...it should be a lot more agressive and responsive, trying to circle around you more often.
For rebalancing...all the developers need to need to do, is take a look at Combat Enhanced mod at nexus...http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/212/?
It fixes almost all issues with skill balance in the game... and feels a bit more immersive at the beginning.

They could have "speeded" him up a bit...but It would have made this into another "superhero" game, where enemies feel more like mobile punching bags.

just a little bit, but the quick access menu interrupts the flow even more, holding and release the key would be better (like tw2)

Top Bottom