E3 Discussion Thread

+
Why does Novigrad have to be the last piece of footage to get the HD treatment :sad:

That breathtaking draw distance and scale in the sequence as Geralt rides through the outskirts was really the most important thing I wanted to see in HQ.

Oh well, patience, patience, patience. Already waiting 8 months for the actual game a couple weeks for some footage is not really a big deal....

Today I heard an interesting information from redactor of games.cz which I haven't heard before. Geralt's movement was almost two times faster in the demo shown at xbox conference than it actually is. It was because only 5 minutes were given to CDprojekt by Microsoft and if they wouldn't do it, they couldn't show even that short piece. It would take much more time to play it. Even that behind closed doors demo was somehow speeded up. They said that in that behind closed doors presentation.

And combat was a lot easier for the presentations. But we know that already.

Last edited:
Except... Ultra probably hasn't been shown yet since I haven't seen any special hair tech yet for example.
The IGN demo had pretty neat hair tech on the Griffin's head.

Today I heard an interesting information from redactor of games.cz which I haven't heard before. Geralt's movement was almost two times faster in the demo shown at xbox conference than it actually is.
That's interesting, I kinda liked how fast he moved in the video (just like in TW1). Nevermind, we can still have a potion for that.

Last edited:
Today I heard an interesting information from redactor of games.cz which I haven't heard before. Geralt's movement was almost two times faster in the demo shown at xbox conference than it actually is. It was because only 5 minutes were given to CDprojekt by Microsoft and if they wouldn't do it, they couldn't show even that short piece. It would take much more time to play it. Even that behind closed doors demo was somehow speeded up. They said that in that behind closed doors presentation.

Where on games.cz was it mentioned?

I've been lurking here for a while, but might as well start posting. hey guys :D

what made me go "wow" was when geralt was walking in the swamp, the plants seemed to move as he walked through them. I don't see that too frequently in other games and it's a really important detail in making the world more immersive.
Welcome to the forums! I recently joined after lurking for a few years myself. I also noticed that certain Flora reacts when Geralt comes into contact.You are correct,it is not as common in games as one would hope for or think. A really cool detail that without a doubt adds to the realism and immersion.

I know some people aren't into gore, but I must say I was quite excited by the attention to detail when the drowner's blood interacted with the water. Again, the facial animations are amazing, I can't get enough of it.

I loved that as well.There was another detail involving the blood that impressed me. I imagine it will be even better by release - It took a few times watching this clip,slowing the play speed down to notice that the blood also gets on Geralt's boots, legs & hair while dodging in between the drowners in the water.

There was a similar effect in Witcher 2, I do not remember it interacting like that before except on Geralt's face,If it was there in W2 someone please correct me and let me know, I may have somehow missed it or I'm officially going blind :geek:

IIRC, I watched the same swamps clip played out a little bit differently - when igni was used there was fire on bodies,the ground and on a tree. when Geralt uses the area of effect Aard sign in the water it splashes extinguishing the fire! Little details like that truly add so much to the game.

It seems like they are going all in,leaving no stone unturned with Witcher 3. Agreed, the dialogues and facial animations look superb! They are some of the best I've ever seen.

I must add that the brief glimpse that we saw of the main menu screen looks gorgeous. I will assume it will either follow a similar style like Witcher 2, displaying different menu background images depending on where we are located or they very well might be random.

Curious what the achievements will be all about? Looks like the tutorial will be either separate to the game or that you will be able to replay it.

I am sincerely hoping that the settings will include the graphics setting options in-game! That would be perfect! It was a pain exiting/loading to change graphic settings.A little inconvenient but more so it just made it difficult to compare the changes you made.

Another interesting thing I recently noticed - Immediately after the menu screen, at the start in the swamps if you pause at the right moment you will notice it is a different time of day. I made out Full moon and underneath it shows what appears to be 20+ damage and Lessmeen/iessmeen....Thought Leshen at first but doesn't look like it. BTW is that area beneath time of day/weather - The trophy buff / monster quest you are currently on?or the type of monster likely to be in the area? Those are my 3 guesses,anyone know for sure if it's been confirmed what that is exactly?

You get to see a very small glimpse of the differences in time of day and how it affects the atmosphere.
If anyone has not seen what I am talking about here is the link ,pause between 0:55-0:56.

* If this has already been talked about and shown,My apologies in advance. *

Last edited:

Do you think DA:I fans can be a little bit anger...?

After seeing the pieces of combat footage available many times, I'm getting slightly worried about how do we choose what sword strikes to use.

In 3 of the 4 videos that show combat, there's at least one strike that completely misses the target, not because the enemies dodge or whatever, but because the distance is incorrect.
Now I'm fully aware this is alpha and it needs work, the difficulty was scaled down, they were trying to demo the game fast, etc., but going back to TW2, the main problems of combat that game had were 2:

- Geralt's mobility and combat positions. (seems already fixed by what we see in TW3 footage)
- The player's inability to choose precise actions, especially attacks.

Its this second problem the one that made players die unwillingly by jumping into a crowd of enemies when they just wanted to strike one from "safety", get them stuck into long animations when they just wanted to hit and run, etc.

It was announced that for TW3 each strike would take the same amount of time as all others, to avoid some of these issues, and they would be more "consistent", which I liked, however in the footage, while they are fast, I'm seeing all kinds of whirlwind attacks, pirouettes, jumps, and more.

Could I get some clarification on this? can we choose at will between attacks that take medium or long time and the ones that are super fast? and especially, can we choose between attacks with different ranges, like jumps used to cover distance and other ones that are just a simple swing in front of Geralt.?

I love Joe's interviews, he's really not afraid of asking straightforward and honest questions (and good ones, too).

If the combat will indeed be at half the speed that was demonstrated, that is actually massively disappointing to me! Geralt finally having proper witcher-like speed was the best part of the demonstration in my opinion.

"Can't really say I ever saw his sword, the blade moved so fast" - Temerian prison guard

If the combat will indeed be at half the speed that was demonstrated, that is actually massively disappointing to me! Geralt finally having proper witcher-like speed was the best part of the demonstration in my opinion.

"Can't really say I ever saw his sword, the blade moved so fast" - Temerian prison guard

Exactly. The speed of the combat was definitely one of the highlights for me as well. Hope CDPR can come out and shed some light on this.

Top Bottom