E3 Discussion Thread

+
You're serious?

Combat looks really, really lacking in the video from E3, especially against humans. The whole combat is still based on pre-animated sequences without any real physics involved. No matter where you hit your enemy he always just crouches a little bit. There is no real weapon-based parrying or dodging involved (for which you would need actual physics). The whole combat like that is imo made to look cool (hello, Dragon Age...) instead of staying any true to real sword fighting or the literary basis. Geralt isn't someone running around and making superhero moves in combat. He actually uses as little energy and movement as possible. He kills fast and efficiently, using bad techniques and holes in the defense of his enemies. Killing with a sword is nothing like what we see here in the game here, neither in reality nor in the books. I think it's a shame that they haven't really improved the combat of TW2. Geralt is of course mobile, in the game is a freakin sword-swinging-superhero. The bandits in the camp don't even act like humans, they don't really defend themselves.

The graphics may be really next-gen but the gameplay couldn't be more old-gen and outdated, sorry.

I'm really, really disappointed in that aspect. They missed a big chance here. The combat looks like a TW2 mod on crack... :(

Lol Where were you for the Witcher 1? The way Geralt fights in the gameplay is nothing new to the series. This is not a swordsman simulator.

So there's one thing I'm wondering about the combat animations. I remember reading that they made it so that geralt would stay in the postition he is after striking and not go back to his previous position (so if he has his sword on the left side after striking, he will not go back to his regular fighting stance), but I don't see that from the trailer. He goes right back to his regular fighting stance after striking and it looks janky.

The guy claiming that it has worse graphics than witcher 2 should play the witcer 2 again. But if we are talking about the combat then yeah, tw2 looks better, mind you it only LOOKS better because it's hard to evaluate without actually playing the game. One thing is clear the animations right now are less polished than their witcher 2 equivalent and overall combat is not polished enough but duh, it's not ready yet.

Note that i will be the first to critcize cdpr if it turns out that the combat is final.

Isn't that what he used to track the beast? Like a tracking resin or something along those lines.
No we are upset about the effects that follow the shot from the crossbow arrows when it is fired it looks stupid. I would rather have no effect at all behind it if it's going to look like that in the game. I have been asking for them to just do some cool subtle motion blur effect for it instead of the strong white lines.

Remember when you first entered the forest behind Flotsam at dawn and it started raining. I could smell the trees.
Or when I first traversed the fields behind Murky Waters. I could feel the grass.
That presentation gave me the feeling I could experience it again. Just, like, many more times.

I not worried about the obat at all. Yes it may seem that it's in an eary stage. But i trust RED. So don't freak out guys we still have a 45 min demo of the Wither 3 that we will see soon.

You're serious?

Combat looks really, really lacking in the video from E3, especially against humans. The whole combat is still based on pre-animated sequences without any real physics involved. No matter where you hit your enemy he always just crouches a little bit. There is no real weapon-based parrying or dodging involved (for which you would need actual physics). The whole combat like that is imo made to look cool (hello, Dragon Age...) instead of staying any true to real sword fighting or the literary basis. Geralt isn't someone running around and making superhero moves in combat. He actually uses as little energy and movement as possible. He kills fast and efficiently, using bad techniques and holes in the defense of his enemies. Killing with a sword is nothing like what we see here in the game here, neither in reality nor in the books. I think it's a shame that they haven't really improved the combat of TW2. Geralt is of course mobile, in the game is a freakin sword-swinging-superhero. The bandits in the camp don't even act like humans, they don't really defend themselves.

The graphics may be really next-gen but the gameplay couldn't be more old-gen and outdated, sorry.

I'm really, really disappointed in that aspect. They missed a big chance here. The combat looks like a TW2 mod on crack... :(

I spoke of controls and gameplay, you are mentioning how things "look" in the books or in reality.

The animations were exaggerated non-efficient styled stuff, im not very happy with them nor unhappy, real physics was something i hoped only in my most ideal dreams, and yet an extremely good combat system can be made without them, especially one much better than that of TW2 or 90% of all Third person perspective games with melee, the enemies reacting similarly to different strikes is just superficial detail. Being a sword swinging super hero might fit the game's mechanics, i dont know it yet because we barely saw a good representation of the systems. The enemies act like that because this is the worst possible piece of footage you could get from a game: An E3 stage demo of 2 minutes.

To you it looked like it wanted to look cool, to me it looked like it wanted to be functional, later I will judge animations and other superficial things that are clearly unfinished. Also you made me remember, that "He kills fast and efficiently" yet he fights like dancing a ballet, the way Geralt fights is a bit vaguely described in the books imo.

Not seeing any super hero moves there, he just moves quickly and deadly.

As for the side steps and the movements, let me ask you this, do you want the combat to be like in AC?
Because that's how you get what you describe, just wait for the enemy to attack, press a button to counter and have the minimum energy counter stab/slash, mash buttons to do the final blow.
Now that would be a step backward.

The combat may need some polishing, but it's going in the right direction.
I guess you have no clue about actual REAL sword combat, have you???

Witcher 2/3 combat is based on almost ridiculous sequences which in fact have nothing to do with being a dealy, brutally effective weapon.

And I actually never said what you ascribes to me. Where did I say that the game should be based on simple counter attacks??? I said that combat should be based on real physics which is something completely different. Real physics mean that the game calculates actual collisons accurately, for example between sword and armour or between sword and flesh or between sword and sword. Only that way realistic parrying or dodging is even possible and also realistic reactions of enemies. Right now there aren't even hitzones on enemies, one human enemy is just on "block" and it completely pointless where you hit him, he always reacts the same until he just dies or until some random killing animation starts. That is hack'n'slay at its best.

Remember when you first entered the forest behind Flotsam at dawn and it started raining. I could smell the trees.
Or when I first traversed the fields behind Murky Waters. I could feel the grass.
That presentation gave me the feeling I could experience it again. Just, like, many more times.

Yeah, they seem to have nailed down the areas you explore with tons of amazing details atleast.
I hate saying this but I actually found the Dragon Age Inquisition showing to be more impressive than TW3 one.
There seems to be a big difference in quality when you compare the two swords trailer and that E3 showing.
I know that trailers should not be taken too serious but man is it a cold shower tonight.

I not worried about the obat at all. Yes it may seem that it's in an eary stage. But i trust RED. So don't freak out guys we still have a 45 min demo of the Wither 3 that we will see soon.

We will not see it, it is behind closed doors and press only.

So there's one thing I'm wondering about the combat animations. I remember reading that they made it so that geralt would stay in the postition he is after striking and not go back to his previous position (so if he has his sword on the left side after striking, he will not go back to his regular fighting stance), but I don't see that from the trailer. He goes right back to his regular fighting stance after striking and it looks janky.
I'm wondering about the same thing. Didn't that dev guy with the glorious hair said these words?
Shiny shiny shiny, grey, grey, grey, shiny, grey
Looked like standard AC combat, that is - animation fest with no proper mechanics to back it up just like the last two games.
Hey, don't be too harsh. It's not that bad, we've barely seen anything, still...........or are you talking about Unity? Of course you are...

Last edited:
Seriously guys? I mean, yeah CDPR hyped all of us, either by interviews, trailers and we're expecting something near perfection. I get it. But take it easy, and by the way. AC combat better? No f* way. AC is much easier, bad AI (since the origins of the saga). However, has great animations true, the one you can reuse from WD and other AAA titles that your company produce in a massive scale.

I never though I would ever agree with a statement like this but I do, graphically and animation wise Unity seems to be a step further.

Considering the budget of Ubisoft and the fact that the same animations have been in all AC games, with some new additions each time, I don't blame CDPR here.
Even EA spends a huge amount of money to build their animations library, which they use across all their games.

I guess you have no clue about actual REAL sword combat, have you???
The Witcher has NEVER ever been about REAL sword combat. The books have described it very well that Witchers are practically spinning and dancing in their moves. The same will be the case with Witcher 3, the other characters will do proper sword combat while Geralt will do all the crazy moves, spins and pirouettes and swinging his sword incredibl, inhumanly fast he is beyond human and fights in the witcher style, well established by now.

Key word seems...

The actual product will be a downgraded POS of where as witcher 3 will be even better than what was shown today.

Assassin's Creed Unity combat looks and feels better IMHO

Sure, because you can feel it by just watching it, right?

I mean, really, come on. I understand that from a gameplay presentation we can judge the graphics, the art direction, music, voice overs, animations, dialogues, monster design and so on...but combat? That's one gameplay element that cannot be properly judged without actually feeling it by holding a KB+M/gamepad in your hand and playing the game. We don't know how responsive or fluid it is, we don't know if you can play tactically or you just button mash...nothing. Sure, we can judge the animations during combat, but that's about it.

So, among all the ripping apart that's going on right here, I would leave the combat system out of the equation. For now, that is.

Top Bottom