E3 Discussion Thread

+
When geralt shoots with his crossbow there is this white stuff following the bolt. Same thing happened on gryphons attack. Cdpr stop it.
Isn't that what he used to track the beast? Like a tracking resin or something along those lines.

Assassin's Creed Unity combat looks and feels better IMHO

Assassins Creed combat is the same thing like before.... And its the thing most people hate about AC franchise right now, it basically didnt change since AC 2

Maan.... I really feel bad for CDPR right now... We ripped them apart in this thread and facebook comments arent much better. Hell, one guy is like: "Duh, this has worse graphics and combat system than Witcher 2"...
:huh:

I think CDPR guys is pretty smart, to not take comments like this ciriously, and we really does not seen a good quality of that short demo to start scold graphics. Also, they got enough time to polish every aspect of the game. They really should work on animations...

Ok, here we go :listen:

Graphics
Indeed it looks like a somewhat upgraded TW2, but in open world. I know the game's still unfinished and unoptimized, and the stream compression surely did its own thing, so apart from some noticable pop-ins I couldn't really judge the real quality.

The lighting looks very well, though.

Dialogue
Similar to what was in TW2, at least in the demonstrated scene. The gesticulation seemed a bit rushed, a bit too quick, but I liked the facial animations. Especially on the woman, coz Geralt is his stoic self. I like how the eyes, nose and forhead worked.

The woman's voice acting was somewhat too matter-of-factly in the situation.

UI
Meditation screen: nothing particular here, a clock to select the time is all that is needed, I suppose.

Preparation screen: the list of items you select from seems to be hard to read, at least after a longer play. I imagine I'd have many items to choose from after dozen hours, and I'm not convinced I'd be able to find what I'm looking for easily and quickly enough. I also don't like the "Recommended potions" tab, the information should be in the bestiary entry - which on the screen takes way too little space.

Inventory screen: grid with items of variable size. Looks fine to me, especially since it's categorized, so I don't have to keep everything on one grid like in TW1. This makes things easier and more readable. BUT: I would still like to be able to sort, specifically by:
- name (when I want to find the item of a specific name)
- weight (so that I can manage my weight limit - which seems to still be present)
- time of acquisition (so that I can see the items I've been given recently)
- value (so that I know which items I might want to sell)
- vital stats (e.g. weapons by the amount of damage, armors by the protection value, etc.)

Best if I could sort both my inventory in full as well as within each category separately, similar to what's in Skyrim, for instance.

I would also like to see stat modifiers when I hover an item, for example how will my attack power change if I equip the weapon.

I didn't like the colors. I imagine I'll be spending a lot of time in various menus, managing my inventory, stats, doing alchemy, reading journal and stuff. The reds and blacks are somewhat depressing, boring and eye straining, plus the bestiary text, for instance, is displayed on the griffin image. This causes some letters (which are too small, by the way) to be hard to read. My suggestions:
- Use calmer, lighter pallette. Like on the forum, for instance.
- Use higher contrast when displaying fonts. The letters need to be as distinguishable from the background as possible.
- Display text on a solid-color background, NOT on images.
- Use larger fonts, or best allow users to set their own font size in options.

It's an RPG, and I imagine there will be a lot to read. Reading from screen is not very pleasurable as it is, so it would be proper to make it as comfortable as possible. Cool looks cannot take precedenae over usability, especially if it will impact user's health (and if it's done badly, the eyes will also go bad in the long run). You don't want players to quit the game because they have a headache.

Combat
The meat of the game. First of all, I suppose the limited time the guys had to present the game required some comporomises. They had to be sure they will be able to play through the whole section fluently and in time. I'm pretty sure the enemies were sufficiently downgraded, Geralt sufficiently upgraded, and Konrad didn't try to use any fancy moves or approaches. This, I think, is the reason for my main gripe with the combat: it's too damn repetitive and grindy.

Although I hoped (still hope) that some of ideas from TW1 will come back, meaning the styles, at least to a certain extent. An idea: how about making a set of stances you select depending on the opponent you face. The stances will allow you to begin, for instance, with a lightning fast strike that would be effective against weakly armored opponents, then, depending on the stance chosen, further hits will follow - because each hits also ends with a stance, which becomes the starting stance for another hit, like described in various fencing tretises. Heavy stance could be designed to dispatch a weakly armored enemy at the price of your vigor, or to stagger or disarm heavily armed foe. We could also have a quick yet relatively weak jab designed to penetrate slits in armor, and make the opponent susceptible to different attacks. And so on, and so forth. That would make the combat more tactical, but would still allow keeping its action fast and fluent. I don't find pleasure in hacking and slashing each opponent, one at a time, for several seconds. It feels like a waste of time.

Besides that:
- the enemies, both bandits and the griffin, seemed slow and lumbering, telegraphing their attacks from a mile away
- I didn't like how when Geralt was cutting the first bandit, the rest simply ignored him
- the bandits simply charged head on incoherently. I do recall something about tactical AI that will try to group and strike from the sides?
- the griffon. It flys, then lands, then WALKS to snap at Geralt. I think it's more about the creature's behavior rather than combat mechanic, it simply doesn't feel like Geralt was fighting with a ferocious and powerful beast. Its movements seemed jerky, lubmering and random.

The Crossbow
I didn't like the overly weird triple shot. I did like that it seemingly took time to prepare another shot.

And I think there'll be more ranged weapon types in the game, judging by the inventory slot called "Ranged weapon" instead "Crossbow".

Where is No Man's Land? Is it all the lands in between the Yaruga and Pontar (Temeria, Lyria and Rivia, Aedirn, Cidaris, Verden, Brugge, Lower Sodden)?

The gap between TW2 and TW3 in terms of graphics/animations/vistas is more like a canyon. PPl should just wait for uncompressed footage from PC.
Alot of what we have seen or better - have not seen in this footage is due to time constraints and the nature of the event.
I am very pleased. I hope CDPR won't take some of the unbiased negativismn too hard.
Maybe they should have slapped a big WIP across it.

Best to just ignore the bulk of initial "fan feedback". As its often a misrepresentation of the majority view with a very obnoxious tone to it.

Isn't there always a witch hunt? It comes from being a witch.

Actually this is very lore wise since there was a big witch hunt that started in 1273.
I think CDPR did implement this very well in the story and it's a great weakness for the Northern Kingdoms to not have sorceress.
Well played Nilfgaard.

You're serious?

Combat looks really, really lacking in the video from E3, especially against humans. The whole combat is still based on pre-animated sequences without any real physics involved. No matter where you hit your enemy he always just crouches a little bit. There is no real weapon-based parrying or dodging involved (for which you would need actual physics). The whole combat like that is imo made to look cool (hello, Dragon Age...) instead of staying any true to real sword fighting or the literary basis. Geralt isn't someone running around and making superhero moves in combat. He actually uses as little energy and movement as possible. He kills fast and efficiently, using bad techniques and holes in the defense of his enemies. Killing with a sword is nothing like what we see here in the game here, neither in reality nor in the books. I think it's a shame that they haven't really improved the combat of TW2. Geralt is of course mobile, in the game is a freakin sword-swinging-superhero. The bandits in the camp don't even act like humans, they don't really defend themselves.

The graphics may be really next-gen but the gameplay couldn't be more old-gen and outdated, sorry.

I'm really, really disappointed in that aspect. They missed a big chance here. The combat looks like a TW2 mod on crack... :(

are you serious?

pre-rendered attacks and combos is how the series has always worked since the first game.

But it's an action game o_o are you comparing TW3 with AC Unity?

TW3 combat is more elabored.

They stated many times that TW3 would "feel" like an action game, regarding combat. It's just my opinion but I've been impressed more by AC unity. The graphics, animations, and combat seemed a level above TW3.

A guy with a crossbow jumped out from behind a corner, screamed and shot at the sorceress. Geralt jumped like he was flipped by a spring and struck with his sword; the rebound arrow flew tightly above the shooter's head, so close that he ducked.

Geralt quickly covered Ciri. But the girl dashed forward as fast as lightning, she was already postured when the bowstring sprang. The yanked her sword up to an upper quart and chipped off the bolt with so much force that he spun over multiple times before itreached the ground.

both quotes from The Lady of the Lake, Andrzej Sapkowski
It seems that Witchers can chip off arrows and even bolts but they can't control them in a way that they were really redirected at the attacker. ;)

That quote is taken from the scene where they are descending the huge stairway in castle Stygga and the Nilfs are coming up at them right? But I wouldn't say he went obi wan there, bear with me: geralt hit the arrow like a baseball player would hit a ball, so the arrow was knocked in the direction of the shooter as it falled (since they are in the stairwell) spinning in his direction so the guy ducked or he would have been hit in the eye, but not killed, he didn't redirect the arrow at full speed and with the sharp point aimed at the soon to be nillfgardian corpse, he simply knocked it his way
. But maybe maybe CDPR will reveal that Geralt became one with the force in TW3, then I would be all for it

Last edited:
Everything looked great to me apart from the Witcher Senses (that blood was a bit over the op imo) and the combat. The animations themselves were mostly pretty good, but it didn't look "fluid" at all to me.

You're serious?

Combat looks really, really lacking in the video from E3, especially against humans. The whole combat is still based on pre-animated sequences without any real physics involved. No matter where you hit your enemy he always just crouches a little bit. There is no real weapon-based parrying or dodging involved (for which you would need actual physics). The whole combat like that is imo made to look cool (hello, Dragon Age...) instead of staying any true to the game. Geralt isn't someone running around and making superhero moves in combat. He actually uses as little enery and movement as possible. Killing with a sword is nothing like what we see here in the game, neither in reality nor in the books. I think it's a shame that they haven't really improved the combat of TW2. Geralt is of course mobile, in the game is a freakin sword-swinging-superhero.

The graphics may be really next-gen but the gameplay couldn't be more old-gen and outdated, sorry.

I'm really, really disappointed in that aspect. They missed a big chance here.... :(

Have they ever said anything like that? I dont remember them saying they are going for some super realistic physics based combat. They wanted to improve upon foundation they build in Witcher 2, they wanted to add more animations and attacks and make combat more responsive. And Geralt actualy is someone running around making superhero moves in combat, because he actualy is superhuman with lightning reflexes.

You're serious?

Combat looks really, really lacking in the video from E3, especially against humans. The whole combat is still based on pre-animated sequences without any real physics involved. No matter where you hit your enemy he always just crouches a little bit. There is no real weapon-based parrying or dodging involved (for which you would need actual physics). The whole combat like that is imo made to look cool (hello, Dragon Age...) instead of staying any true to real sword fighting or the literary basis. Geralt isn't someone running around and making superhero moves in combat. He actually uses as little energy and movement as possible. He kills fast and efficiently, using bad techniques and holes in the defense of his enemies. Killing with a sword is nothing like what we see here in the game here, neither in reality nor in the books. I think it's a shame that they haven't really improved the combat of TW2. Geralt is of course mobile, in the game is a freakin sword-swinging-superhero. The bandits in the camp don't even act like humans, they don't really defend themselves.

I'm really, really disappointed in that aspect. They missed a big chance here. The combat looks like a TW2 mod on crack... :(

Not seeing any super hero moves there, he just moves quickly and deadly.

As for the side steps and the movements, let me ask you this, do you want the combat to be like in AC?
Because that's how you get what you describe, just wait for the enemy to attack, press a button to counter and have the minimum energy counter stab/slash, mash buttons to do the final blow.
Now that would be a step backward.

The combat may need some polishing, but it's going in the right direction.

Top Bottom