image_1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 672117240.jpg
    672117240.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 19532e7adc0e.jpg
    19532e7adc0e.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 41
Mods 'fixing' stone coloured stone by making it dark and gloomy isn't a fix, it is a change. Stone comes in many different colours, and can be surprisingly bright, colourful and clean in the absence of large scale industrial pollution.
Countryside is known for it's bright vegetation colours ~ grass is often "unrealistically" bright, and has wildflowers throughout, even in cultivated grasses.

Middle age and ancient buildings and statuary were usually brightly painted, metal polished and "new". It is utterly fake to have dilapidated buildings, rusty armour etc in current use. (While it is true that "bright" paints and dyes aren't as vibrant as modern synthetic primaries, they did use bright-ish natural pigments, most of which were made from easily gatherable local materials ~ though some could be more expensive and rare/exclusive). Much of our surviving "old master" artwork is painted using natural pigments, and this can be exceptionally vibrant when masterfully handled.

*We have ruined buildings and rusty artifacts from that era because they are old and disused, now*.

Well this for example. http://imgur.com/a/QMFub#GDFT6SV
Bottom screen is obviously XboxOne and second two different areas of the game and two different enemies and could it also be that the power evolves as your character does?
Really where? I cannot find a single post saying that and the onscreen controls are xbox. Every article either doesn't say or sites it as XboxOne gameplay.
http://ftg.operationsupplydrop.org/2015/03/10/pax-east-2015-the-witcher-3-gameplay-video/
Correct, you can easily tell it was console footage. It was pretty poor quality in my opinion.....nothing close to the 35min demo back around E3.
I don't think that anything is "obviously", or can "easily" be said to be this or that. That's how baseless speculation becomes a wide-spread rumor across the web, and a "fact" at some point. I see too many YouTube posts saying about the videos "this is just console footage guys", and I see them setting themselves up for a huge disappointment because they're dangerously inflating their expectations (and just to clarify, I think the game looks beautiful). Also, every footage was with a controller.

PAX is PC. I don't care to discuss whether this disappoints you or not and whether it's similar to the 35 min or not, but CDPR confirmed the platform.

https://twitter.com/Bacon_is_life/status/574285822624727040
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...Official-Gameplay-Video?p=1562118#post1562118
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...Official-Gameplay-Video?p=1562197#post1562197

when people say things like "grass is shorter" while not realizing it's two different grass models from different environments they're comparing, or "everything's too colorful now" while not realizing there are different time/weather/atmosphere settings, it makes this whole thread look silly. might want to take some time between seeing the supposed "evidence" and hitting "post reply"
I take it the "shorter grass" thing is referring to me because I don't recall anyone else mentioning it, so I went to read my post again, and I'm not sure how you got from it that:
  1. I don't realize it might be different models.
  2. I see it as evidence of anything.

Here's my post,
Grass is noticeably shorter. That's what caught my eye. I didn't notice it back then when the screenshot was posted because the visual comparisons weren't really taking place heavily at the time, but now it pops up to me that it's much smaller. I don't think I've seen that sort of grass in the actual gameplay videos, but maybe that's just because I wasn't looking for it.

I just noted something. It didn't have any normative quality to it. I realize it might be different grass models, but I also mentioned that I don't recall seeing this model in over an hour of footage. At this point I'm under the impression that there is just one sort of grass model. Maybe I'm wrong. It doesn't bother me. Either way, it's not "supposed evidence" of anything on my behalf. I think you read a bit too much into it. That being said, I still have no reason to think otherwise, if in over an hour of footage in different areas I've seen the same sort of grass. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, not due to any fear of a downgrade, but just because variety is cool.

Middle age and ancient buildings and statuary were usually brightly painted, metal polished and "new". It is utterly fake to have dilapidated buildings, rusty armour etc in current use. (While it is true that "bright" paints and dyes aren't as vibrant as modern synthetic primaries, they did use bright-ish natural pigments, most of which were made from easily gatherable local materials ~ though some could be more expensive and rare/exclusive). Much of our surviving "old master" artwork is painted using natural pigments, and this can be exceptionally vibrant when masterfully handled.

Thats all very true. But not the point. The point is, that Witcher 1 on Witcher II had a distinct art style to them, which made them recognizable and marked them as two parts of the same franchise and artistic world. I´m not talking about sunny weather or colourful sunsets here and there. Of course they were in the first two games as well and they looked pretty.. I´m talking about the relation between "realistic" and "cartoonish" in this two games. This relation has been altered in Witcher 3 and seems to lean towards the "cartoonish" side of the scale now. And I´m a bit dissapointed by that.

Last edited:
Last know footage when no one complained: (September 2014)

My guess as to why nobody complained? The colors are good and there seems to be murder and 'grittyness' going on...
The grass, in my opinion, still looks the same. And there isn't a yellowish tint of the sun so that's why the colors are good and nobody complained. But that's just because of the time of day and the weather system.

Last edited:
For Pax it is not confirmed at all. There is the Word "I think" in the sentence. This is how rumours are spread.

The only footage released thus far said to be on a platform other than PC on high was the griffin hunt shown at the Microsoft E3 2014 conference. A lead dev says it's PC on high, suffixes his statement with a cautionary «I think» and you go and claim that claiming it's PC on high is spreading rumours?

It's PC on high, as Damien tweeted days ago, and hasn't rectified.

I think it's time to come to terms with the fact the game is not going to look significantly better on comparable settings by the time it releases. Sure, one can delude oneself all one wants by thinking that perhaps that was on Xbox One or that there are still 60 magic days for them to crunch up a rabbit out of their hat. I think neither of those consoling thoughts is grounded in reality.

@freakie1one , just to warp our last exchange, you're running into unsupported assumptions you were trying to escape from. You don't know how taxing those effects are, you don't know if those locations are barren by design, etc., so you cannot claim those effects are only deliverable if gameplay elements are turned off - which would amount to saying they are impossible to reproduce under normal conditions - unless you add a few caveats to that assertion.

But moving on.
Your latest comment was obviously tongue-in-cheek. To this, as usual, I offer the facts: of the 16 free DLCs we're getting a beard and hairstyle set, an armour set, and also an alternative look for Yennefer. Hardly earthshaking, As a matter of fact, improving foliage, even if modestly, would arguably have far greater impact on one's experience than any of the mentioned DLCs. While I appreciate your humour, and I do, the suggestion of a PC foliage overhaul actually makes sense.

Last edited:
Pretty much everything looked amazing in the 35 minute demo, you had to look hard to find flaws.

In the time stamp below you can see what both the blood and the Igni sign looked liked from that demonstration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlq2t91ZUGw#t=18m28s

it did, but that didn't stop people from scrutinizing it at the time.

thanks for the link, it does look significantly better, and I hope it will be available for the PC players at the least.

Last know footage when no one complained: (September 2014)

these where some of the best screenshots released, you could have almost no complaint about them. they are all visually impressive with individual narratives showing the promise of the game world and its stories. reflecting the atmosphere of the game and the exploration, as all screens appear to be events the player has stumbled upon naturally. there is nothing here besides composition and visuals to gloss up the shots, and both are modest and to the point, they tell you volumes about the places they are showing. its natural and honest not trying to be gritty for the sake of being so, or pretty for the same reason, except composition, which has a camera in a place that is more or less there to draw you in to the events. in comparison some of the more resent screens of Geralt and monsters and some expansive landscapes all in sunny lighting, appear less so, and feel more like they want to impress. like the difference between a trailer for an action flick and a art house film, but one is usually made to give an honest impression more than the other. though that is not the case for most screens (some of them still have it), its just that most of the new screens don't create that sense of place the same way these screens from 2014 do in my opinion; The picture of Geralt fighting knights or looking at a noticeboard are not subtle images in comparison. Visuals in newer screens don't appear to be used the same way as in these screenshots and have an inconsistent level of fidelity for textures in particular that can really really distract. We are yet to see how the visuals will turn out in the final game but I hope it still manages to do the same thing as these screenshots do.

I'd say it has more to do with the water and wet shaders causing a reflection. So when Geralt isn't wet, the light doesn't have an interaction with the shader, and hence, no violet light bouncing around his body.

Although when Geralt walks into the middle of the Yrden, without being wet, and is attacking the Wolf he still gets a purple effect passing over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom