GWENT: Ask a Dev

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Burza and Dev Team!
First of all, congratulations for Challenger #4, production-wise the best one so far!

About Homecoming: the new visuals look amazing and I'm sure they will be even better when game's finished! I have the following questions:

1) From a visual point of view, will the board be split in 2 with respective faction sides like in the current version of the game or each player will have a unique battlefield corresponding to his faction?

2) In the video we've seen some new mechanics in card texts... can you tell us what Thrive, Order and Reach mean please? :) And will be Duel still a thing?

3) For the next updates, are you planning videos like this one or a more detailed dev stream?

Thanks and keep up the great work, looking forward to see our beloved ST soon! :)

1. Each player has it's factions half
2. Thrive I covered, Order is an activated ability and reach is covered in the homecoming video, it simply let's you choose which rows you can target with the ability. Duel will be a thing
3. Videos first and streams later

1. I love the new Homecoming visuals, they are stunning and very fitting to the theme. Can you please tell who is responsible for a such outstanding idea of 3D and also perfectly implemented 2 rows system ?
2. Can you please elaborate on the thought process of the Midwinter update and how it led to introducing the Create mechanism ?
3. I am not sure if you have noticed, but the Create mechanism is very similar to Discover mechanism, a Shupe and Ciri : Nova deck building approach is very similar to Reno Jackson one and the Arena, no the Arena is fine. Is it just a coincidence ?
4. Since open beta Gwent went through some big changes (gold immunity, row identity, abilities became more simplistic like Borkh's and the Create mechanic) why there were and still are so many changes to a good and unique game ?
5. Can you please share your thoughts about Gwent's economy after the wipe ? Maybe it's better to give full mill value for 3 bronze copies and 1 gold 1 silver copy of the cards ?
6. Please comment the statement "Gwent's economy is slowly but surely killing the game"
7. What do you think about the separation between Gwent and Thronebreaker ? Will it be good for Gwent ?

If the leaders do the emoting and taunting what will be the role of avatars, just cosmetic or will the leader emotes depend on the avatar we choose?
Dear Bruza,

I also have the same question/concern. If leaders will do the taunting, what about the avatars? Would the leaders taunt with the voice of the avatars we chose (it would be ridiculous)? Or it will be static for each leaders (in that case, what about the avatars and their voice lines?)

1. Will we be able to mute taunts
2 paper rock scissors is a fundamental aspect of any card game but currently there are not many ways to counter a lot of ng cards/archtypes will that change with homecoming

Hello Burza, just one quick question:

What next homecoming video will be about? We know it will feature Scoiateal, but will it be more like first "board showcase video" or for example more focused on gameplay mechanics?

Greetings to you, our Leader! The lord of the forests, onions and a bow!

One question is whether Odrin will be the leader of any faction?

Hello dear Pavel, have a few questions:
1. In homecoming video we've seen from about 20 cards only 1 card with row ability (Iris), whats the ratio? 10% of cards have somehting like this? more, less?
2. What do you and team think about greedy purely solitaire decks like greedy consume and ng handbuff? Will this type of a deck (not necessarily these 2 it can be mb greedy nr or st) still exist in homecoming?
3. Homecoming looks great (exept leaders) but is it fun to play? Card texts we've seen (mb aside reach) do not insipire at all. Personally i hope they are just placeholders to not show to us all the secrets:).
Bets of luck(y)!

Hi Pawel.

You've said you are very busy this week.

Are you that busy because you are working in the videos about Homecoming???

In this case, there is no more questions!! I don't want to disturb your work. Can't wait!!! ....mmmmm ....Next week??

Last edited:
In the Homecoming reveal I noticed that there is no avatar on screen.
Why not? Is that going to be added on launch? Or will they be visible when we emote?

Would be the shame to hide our handpicked avatars and borders while playing.

Will every card stay the same rarity after HC or will e.g. some epics become legendary? And if so what scrap value will i get, before or after the change?

1. I love the new Homecoming visuals, they are stunning and very fitting to the theme. Can you please tell who is responsible for a such outstanding idea of 3D and also perfectly implemented 2 rows system ?
2. Can you please elaborate on the thought process of the Midwinter update and how it led to introducing the Create mechanism ?
3. I am not sure if you have noticed, but the Create mechanism is very similar to Discover mechanism, a Shupe and Ciri : Nova deck building approach is very similar to Reno Jackson one and the Arena, no the Arena is fine. Is it just a coincidence ?
4. Since open beta Gwent went through some big changes (gold immunity, row identity, abilities became more simplistic like Borkh's and the Create mechanic) why there were and still are so many changes to a good and unique game ?
5. Can you please share your thoughts about Gwent's economy after the wipe ? Maybe it's better to give full mill value for 3 bronze copies and 1 gold 1 silver copy of the cards ?
6. Please comment the statement "Gwent's economy is slowly but surely killing the game"
7. What do you think about the separation between Gwent and Thronebreaker ? Will it be good for Gwent ?

1. It's a team effort :)
2. We wanted to try sth new and make the game more accessible to new players
3. All card games take inspiration from somewhere :)
4. Because GWENT was created as a mini game in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we never planned to have it as a competitive title, in order for it to work we needed a lot of changes. The game is still very unique compared to other titles on the market right now :)
5. If you stayed with us for such a long time you should have a good start :)
6. I don't believe so and we have stats that speak differently
7. Of course it will, this lets us cater to different audiences, playing it right now I'm awed by the sheer scope of the project!

Dear Bruza,

I also have the same question/concern. If leaders will do the taunting, what about the avatars? Would the leaders taunt with the voice of the avatars we chose (it would be ridiculous)? Or it will be static for each leaders (in that case, what about the avatars and their voice lines?)

Avatars play a more cosmetic role now, they are associated with your profile only :)

Hello dear Pavel, have a few questions:
1. In homecoming video we've seen from about 20 cards only 1 card with row ability (Iris), whats the ratio? 10% of cards have somehting like this? more, less?
2. What do you and team think about greedy purely solitaire decks like greedy consume and ng handbuff? Will this type of a deck (not necessarily these 2 it can be mb greedy nr or st) still exist in homecoming?
3. Homecoming looks great (exept leaders) but is it fun to play? Card texts we've seen (mb aside reach) do not insipire at all. Personally i hope they are just placeholders to not show to us all the secrets:).
Bets of luck(y)!

1. More, don't have a final number yet tho :)
2. Greedy decks should exist, but to certain extent :)
3. You ain't seen nothing yet ;) based on the initial feedback from the PTR looks like the players are having lots of fun :)

Hi Pawel.

You've said you are very busy this week.

Are you that busy because you are working in the videos about Homecoming???

In this case, there is no more questions!! I don't want to disturb your work. Can't wait!!! ....mmmmm ....Next week??

Hi!

Mainly busy with gathering feedback from closed PTR, plus lots of planning for the release!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom