Hardest fight in the game? Possible spoilers inside.

+
Is it possible to win the fight with all 6 nightmares activated on a high difficulty level? I think to be pretty good in TW3 fights, but even with just 3 nightmares activated, it was very very hard.

Is it possible to win the fight with all 6 nightmares activated on a high difficulty level? I think to be pretty good in TW3 fights, but even with just 3 nightmares activated, it was very very hard.

They say it's possible :D Some say it's even easy (I don't believe them!). There are some tips for that fight in these forums, but I can't remember that right thread.

The Olgierd fight (the optional one) was my favorite in the series. It was not 'hard' per se, I would call it a test of endurance.

---------- Updated at 07:06 PM ----------

I did the nightmare fight (all activated) on Blood and Broken Bones, have not tried it on Death March yet. I used a spell sword build; popped a bunch of petri's philters, tawny owls, and thunderbolts. Quen and yrden are a must.

Last edited:
I played through the game twice:
once on normal NG, once NG+ and deathmarch.

On normal NG I never really had a lot of problems except with caranthir and toad prince. The most fun/exhilarating fights though, were the Olgierd fights, the archgriffin in skellige and Ciri's battle with the witches.

On NG+ I had even less problems since I had more skill points, skills and tactics available to me. Although I did get frustated at wolf packs, the ghost in the painting and spiders (EFF YOU, SPIDERS!!).

If I have to choose one hardest battle, hardest meaning I had to retry and adjust my strategy, I would have to go with Toad Prince. You get almost zero information on the asswhooping you're about to receive when you go in, you get no time to prepare, he's nigh invulnerable to igni (my crutch!). He also hits like a truck strapped to a nuke dropped from a plane.
That said, no fight made me feel more proud of myself after beating him.

I've just played through the Crone fight on NG+ for the first time and was surprised how difficult it was (I usually find it fairly straightforward). I suspect it's because Ciri's health recovery hasn't been speeded-up in the same way that both her and the Crones' HP has. And that I tend to get hit a lot.

And that was significantly over-levelled and on the second-easiest difficulty. I had to drop-down a level. Imlerith, on the other hand, was very easy :)

That damn mage in the heart of stone dlc, after the ship crashes. Couldn't get near to him at the start and kept disappearing. The toad I defeated first time as I just used igni. At first i was wondering how i'd defeat the toad as my sword was doing no noticeable damage. First time I fought the wild hunt, I did struggle, but when i went back to the game, I remembered the lessons from previous fights e.g. roll, roll and roll again.

I've just played through the Crone fight on NG+ for the first time and was surprised how difficult it was (I usually find it fairly straightforward). I suspect it's because Ciri's health recovery hasn't been speeded-up in the same way that both her and the Crones' HP has. And that I tend to get hit a lot.

And that was significantly over-levelled and on the second-easiest difficulty. I had to drop-down a level. Imlerith, on the other hand, was very easy :)

Uh, I did that (Crones) in NG+ with "suitable" levels and in death march and I was praying for help :D It took several tries and good night sleep to get it done. It was terrible! I couldn't even turn down difficulty 'cause I was after death march trophy :(

Imlerith was peace of cake in that death march game. When I played with broken bones, he was super bad. It's funny how things change in every game and not always in a logical way :D

Uh, I did that (Crones) in NG+ with "suitable" levels and in death march and I was praying for help :D It took several tries and good night sleep to get it done. It was terrible! I couldn't even turn down difficulty 'cause I was after death march trophy :(

Those crones are the reason I don't have the DM trophy :(
This was actually my second attempt at the crones, the first being even MORE over-levelled and on DM. I eventually abandoned the playthrough. I still have the savegames, so I may try again sometime.

I noticed even at KM that Ciri seemed significantly nerfed in NG+ though, for the reasons I gave. She died during one of the fights there, and that has NEVER happened to me before.

Those crones are the reason I don't have the DM trophy :(
This was actually my second attempt at the crones, the first being even MORE over-levelled and on DM. I eventually abandoned the playthrough. I still have the savegames, so I may try again sometime.

If you still want to try that trophy, maybe you should try same tactics as I did? Focus on Brewess (basket case :D ) first and kill her. Stay away from the others, of course. Her attacks were the most difficult part for me. Once she's gone, things get a bit easier. They killed me like 10 times at the very beginning of the battle before I found this tactic on You Tube and they killed me few times even after that, but finally I did it. One-Crone-at-a-time. Don't get greedy, hit once or twice when you can and then RUN!

It looks ridiculously easy in this video :D But it isn't...

PS: I'm still seeing nightmares about that "naughty naughty girl" thing :D

Edit edit: Every other fight with the Crones (two easy and one broken bones) went through without dying once. It made my death march fight feel even more desperate.

Last edited:
Not difficult but annoying fights for me are against Rotfiends / Devouers with melee builds. As added injury more often than not my last save was long time ago and Gerald for some reason freezes right before they explode in his face. Mashing buttons trying to get either quen going or gtfo in any direction does not always work.

Before they were nerfed, I used to dislike wolf / dog packs too as I could not make myself believe they are dangerous no matter how much I tried. Oh, look, a wolf pack. Run right in the middle and mindlessly swing sword… oops, dead Gerald. Reload. Okay, let’s now try with both eyes opened and maybe even put my beer away for a minute. Now them are dead, and all is well until the next pack.

So, them and that annoying Sven in Farylund that just does not want to die. Every time I visit, he’s trying to kill the last few senior citizens.

If you still want to try that trophy, maybe you should try same tactics as I did? Focus on Brewess (basket case ) first and kill her.

Always do :)
What I did work out this time, as I was trying hard not to get hit, was how many blows Ciri could make before the counterattack came. I'm hoping that'll help more when I feel I can face DM again.

Basket case, basket face. Good name for her :)

Always do :)
What I did work out this time, as I was trying hard not to get hit, was how many blows Ciri could make before the counterattack came. I'm hoping that'll help more when I feel I can face DM again.

Basket case, basket face. Good name for her :)

On DM that fight was difficult. Indeed you need to focus on basket chick first. The thing is, after she's dead, you actually don't need to focus on one. Instead, go for the one that attacks you: dodge and counterattack. The last two you need to take both at once. And never more than one or 2 strikes. Otherwise they stunlock you and... well... not pretty.

also: lol rotfiends on DM with an insta-kill build.

Imlerith was actually quite easy for me. I did it on death march after 2 deaths.
Boss fights in HoS are a bit hard though but then there's a pattern to observe for each one of them(
oad prince's vulnerable to Igni, Ofieri mage to axii and original Olgierd to counterattck, etc.
) That's what I love the most about this expansion, it encourages you to try new tactics and rewards you generously for doing so. Even the final nightmare fight(with all active) isn't so hard if you have the right combination of skill points and potions(
in my case I tried a fast attack biuld, killing spree, chort decoction + thunderbolt, light new moon armor and northwind bomb, and it took me less than 30 sec to kill all 6 nightmares with swirl
).

Last edited:
Um I played with lots of mods, most importantly better combat enhanced, naturally there were some fights that were truly out of balance, especially some of Ciri. But among the balanced ones, I'd say Imlerith. That deadly pucker's final attack phase was too damn stressful, I came close to breaking the mouse&kb on that. Eredin and Caranthir was like a walk in the park compared to it. In the end though my grandstrategy in Kaer Morhen battle held true for all encounters with the Hunt, that is always take the initiative and put them on defense. However that was one of the last fights in the game, so my memory is still fresh with that one, it's possible I'm forgetting more brutal encounters that occurred earlier.

All experiences from playing deathmarch only:

Monsters:
In general all kind of Cockatrices. Their reach is so annoying, target lock makes it worse, hopping won't save you from a sweeping strike, your stunned by most hits, they manage to always kill Quen and of course, they poison you.... I HATE! this type. As much as I tried to use different combats tyles per playthrough, this type always makes me fall back into 'cause bleeding/burning, wait it out' style. Right after them the first monsters you face like drowners, wolves, wild dogs, Wraiths, Alghouls, Foglets... all monsters, who appear in mobs on deathmarch difficulty, till lvl. 10. After that, Ekimmaras and their kindred are annoying as hell.

Contracts:
Chort. Totally unbalanced, in my opinion, but mostly, because the camera angles are just badly implemented for big bosses. Anyway, the first time I fought this creature I almost cried for how unforgiving just the littlest mistake was.

Bosses (in order):
Imlerith. Compared to him, Eredin is too easy, in fact, the fight between Geralt and Eredin could have been a cutscene, the old game climaxes at Kaer Morhenn anyways ;P. No other mains tory boss gave me these problems therefor no other boss is mentioned.

Last edited:
Contracts:
Chort. Totally unbalanced, in my opinion, but mostly, because the camera angles are just badly implemented for big bosses. Anyway, the first time I fought this creature I almost cried for how unforgiving just the littlest mistake was.
Totally agree. That fight was very hard and you couldn't make even the tiniest mistake because if you did, you were toast - even on "Sword & Story"-difficulty. Also, fights in enclosed settings tend to be a little annoying and stressful. What helped me with the Chort was the appropriate bombs and a lot of dodging and rolling, if I remember correctly. Also, I was overleveled when I finally beat him; when I tried to kill the creature on the suggested level, I failed miserably. I tried with one or two levels above the recommended level and failed again. Those big beasts are just annoying - same with Morvudd. That was the last contract of the main game that I completed.

What really astonishes me about some fight is the fact that some of the monsters you encounter during a contract are a lot harder to kill then, say, Eredin. It's been a while now since I beat Eredin and I still can't believe how easy it was. Sure, I was overleveled but still... the balancing of fights is at times pretty awful.

I have played once in Blood and Broken Bones, and my current playthrough is on Death March NG+, but I am still in Novigrad, so the hardest bosses are yet to come.

NG+ DM hasn't been that difficult to me boss-wise, or contract-wise. The wolf packs on the other hand, damn.

So I am just going to enlist the hardest in my first playthrough:

1. All of Iris' nightmares at once. I couldn't kill them at once. I have read some tips for this and I'll try again in my current playthrough.
  2. The Arch Griffin.
  3. Imlerith. He was by far me most difficult Wild Hunt boss for me.
  4. Shrieker. I think this is the one that killed me the most. But it's not that hard once you get the hang of it.
  5. The elf fist fighter.

Special mention to the werewolves which are practically impossible if you are not well prepared. They are not actually hard, but I didn't have the werewolf entry on my bestiary when I faced him the first time. Took me a while to know how to kill it.

The Olgierd fight (the optional one) was my favorite in the series. It was not 'hard' per se, I would call it a test of endurance.
There's a fight against Olgierd? So far, I've just talked to the guy and have been given his last wish - bring me the purple rose but no fight. The character entry in the glossary states, however, that Geralt found out that Olgierd cannot die. I'm sure I never fought the guy and have no idea how Geralt might have found out that Olgierd cannot die o_O Anyway. I'm finishing some scavenger hunts and then I'm off to the von Everec estate. If I read the postings right, I'll have to fight the caretaker and a wraith in a painting. Argh. I hate wraiths...

There's a fight against Olgierd?

It's optional, depending of your choices. I didn't see it in my first go, but saw it later. One way or another, you'll get to see that Olgierd is immortal. If Grealt doesn't "kill" him, someone else does.

It's the part where they are about to cut off someones head. That conversation determines are you fighting with Olgierd or does someone else attack him. If I remember correctly...

Top Bottom