In game character Perspective!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
First person is objectively the most immersive perspective that allows you to experience the world through your character directly instead of controlling your character from behind. I hope that you guys follow through with your vision of having a first person perspective first and don't listen to the vocal minority on this forum who want to force third person on people who want a more immersive title with great action combat gameplay along with the extensive RPG elements.

I must admit, I agree. However, I don’t want restrictive 1st person either. I want to be able to have a look at my version of V as I walk around

We all have our preferences, and equally (in)valid reasons for them.
I can't think of a single reason why CP2077 must be FPP or TPP and think It'd be better off with both and the option to swap between them. The mere fact that the option you may not prefer exists is totally irrelevant as this isn't a PvP focused game (tho it may have some PvP elements) and it doesn't give the the competition any advantage.

That's just because we didn't have a good FP RPG in years... you can do SO much more in terms of imemrsion with a proper, dynamic, first person view then with 3rd person, especially in a game where virtual reality, vehicles and extensive body modification are a thing. Different vision modes, remote camera drones, net diving, driving/flying,... even crazy drugs, if done right, can all be much more enjoyable in first person.

Last edited:
Prefer third person, with perhaps an option for first. CP2020, and by extension 2077, was always all about style, looks, etc - be a shame to not be able to enjoy seeing your character.

It's a very, very specific kind of "immersion" that the first person perspective is "objectively best" for. It's the kind of immersion that makes the main character a blank projection figure for the player. It's not just games that attempt this, it's also books and movies. The more empty the main character is, the better the projection works, from Harry Potter to Luke Skywalker. Now, everything's OK with games that try to make you feel as if "you are" the main character, but I personally feel that it sucks the life out of a lot of game stories. I guess it all depends on what we want out of a game - do we want to act out our personal fantasy, or do we want to walk in the shoes of a full fledged complex character that's decidedly not ourselves? Do you want a protagonist, or an avatar?

It's a very, very specific kind of "immersion" that the first person perspective is "objectively best" for. It's the kind of immersion that makes the main character a blank projection figure for the player. It's not just games that attempt this, it's also books and movies. The more empty the main character is, the better the projection works, from Harry Potter to Luke Skywalker. Now, everything's OK with games that try to make you feel as if "you are" the main character, but I personally feel that it sucks the life out of a lot of game stories. I guess it all depends on what we want out of a game - do we want to act out our personal fantasy, or do we want to walk in the shoes of a full fledged complex character that's decidedly not ourselves? Do you want a protagonist, or an avatar?
Why not both? Open world RPGs are about escapism right? Being able to escape to another world and decide who you want to be in that world because you can't be that in this world. First person is the closest we'll get to this until full dive VR gets perfected in a few decades.

Being able to escape to another world and decide who you want to be in that world because you can't be that in this world

No, that is in fact your preference, which explains why you subjectively favor first person perspective. :giggle:

The "why not both" should have been answered with my first post already: the more complex a protagonist is – the more defined he/she is by his/her past, present, family, friends, hobbies, character traits, sexuality, etc – the less suitable for projection the character is.

And, I'm going out on that limb, the more suitable for role-playing. I mean, when we started playing Cyberpunk 2020 back in the day, all we ever wanted was that wish-fullfilment, the escapism, the power fantasy. We basically had to get out of puberty to start with the actual roleplay. And that took kind of a reaaaallly long time. :ROFLMAO:

Don't get me wrong, I believe you can tell some great stories in FPP, and even some select great ones with a blank slate character. But I do think either would be a terrible fit for Cyberpunk.

No, that is in fact your preference, which explains why you subjectively favor first person perspective. :giggle:

The "why not both" should have been answered with my first post already: the more complex a protagonist is – the more defined he/she is by his/her past, present, family, friends, hobbies, character traits, sexuality, etc – the less suitable for projection the character is.

And, I'm going out on that limb, the more suitable for role-playing. I mean, when we started playing Cyberpunk 2020 back in the day, all we ever wanted was that wish-fullfilment, the escapism, the power fantasy. We basically had to get out of puberty to start with the actual roleplay. And that took kind of a reaaaallly long time. :ROFLMAO:

Don't get me wrong, I believe you can tell some great stories in FPP, and even some select great ones with a blank slate character. But I do think either would be a terrible fit for Cyberpunk.
What's the point of roleplaying if you're not actually in their shoes seeing the world through their eyes, experiencing, etc? Tabletop was the closest you could get to escapism/immersion in the past, and then came isometric and text based games, but as technology evolves first person is clearly the way to go or at least should be an option, especially when viewing market trends.

I don't see how its mutually exclusive or even the logical conclusion that if you're roleplaying as a character you wouldn't be playing AS that character? With third person you're not really playing as the character, you're playing with the character. It's a glorified toy with a background, maybe a complex one depending on the game but whats the point?

Look if people prefer third person, there should be that option, but I don't see why my roleplaying, and my immersion should be broken because fans of Witcher 3 want the game to be thirdperson. There's people in this thread saying first person shouldn't even be in the game, that's insane. Lord knows some developers think their forums are the be all end all core of their audience which definitely isn't always the case, and I hope they don't make any drastic negative changes to the gameplay to hinder immersion, and its obvious why they made the initial decision and choice to make the game first person probably for the reasons I mentioned above not to mention their main competitor (Bethesda) does it and despite their lack of roleplaying options seems to sell a lot more and is praised for its immersion/roleplaying aswell.

A game like Cyberpunk 2077 if all the information is true about the RPG depth would heavily benefit from first person, especially refined polished first person combat, not just from the combat portion of the gameplay but from the immersion factor of actually roleplaying through your characters eyes for plenty of the audience.

Last edited:
The two options should be available. It would be the best way to go in my opinion. For exploring the world, I would rather have a 3rd person view but for combat, especially with guns, first person is definitely better for me.

And
What's the point of roleplaying if you're not actually in their shoes seeing the world through their eyes, experiencing, etc? Tabletop was the closest you could get to escapism/immersion in the past, and then came isometric and text based games, but as technology evolves first person is clearly the way to go or at least should be an option, especially when viewing market trends.

I don't see how its mutually exclusive or even the logical conclusion that if you're roleplaying as a character you wouldn't be playing AS that character? With third person you're not really playing as the character, you're playing with the character. It's a glorified toy with a background, maybe a complex one depending on the game but whats the point?

Look if people prefer third person, there should be that option, but I don't see why my roleplaying, and my immersion should be broken because fans of Witcher 3 want the game to be thirdperson. There's people in this thread saying first person shouldn't even be in the game, that's insane. Lord knows some developers think their forums are the be all end all core of their audience which definitely isn't always the case, and I hope they don't make any drastic negative changes to the gameplay to hinder immersion, and its obvious why they made the initial decision and choice to make the game first person probably for the reasons I mentioned above not to mention their main competitor (Bethesda) does it and despite their lack of roleplaying options seems to sell a lot more and is praised for its immersion/roleplaying aswell.

A game like Cyberpunk 2077 if all the information is true about the RPG depth would heavily benefit from first person, especially refined polished first person combat, not just from the combat portion of the gameplay but from the immersion factor of actually roleplaying through your characters eyes for plenty of the audience.
And I completely disagree with all of this.

This is the nature of opinions and subjectivity. All of this is preference, none of it is fact.

No matter what any of us say (even those who agree with me, or you, or Bob), our perspective is not inherently better for 2077. We have our preferences, nothing more, nothing less.

Why? Because we know nothing about the game. Well, now it's next to nothing, technically, but still.

We don't know how heavily "shooter" it will lean, or how heavily "RPG" it will lean. We also don't know whether or not CDPR can pull off one perspective or another in the context of the game, or if they can pull off both.

I have no problem with arguing for your perspective, but I'd advise against presenting it as fact or objective when it is not. Doing so alienates people and makes it harder to have a reasonable discussion.

I find roleplaying better and more immersive in games like this with a third-person camera. I also find the roleplaying in a Bethesda game very enjoyable, because they have the option and sometimes I do enjoy switching into FPP briefly for hanging out in a tavern or my player's home.

In the end, regardless of what people want, the persepctive (1st, 3rd, or both) needs to work for the game itself. Strange as that may sound, really preferring one perspective over another does not mean that it would work for the game. I'll put it this way, I've never played a really good game, whether 1st-person or 3rd-person, and had a bad time.

(For me, even when PnP roleplaying, I envision everything in 3rd-person. The immersion is evnisioning things like a movie in my mind, not pretending that I, personally, am actually there.)

In the end, regardless of what people want, the persepctive (1st, 3rd, or both) needs to work for the game itself. Strange as that may sound, really preferring one perspective over another does not mean that it would work for the game. I'll put it this way, I've never played a really good game, whether 1st-person or 3rd-person, and had a bad time.

(For me, even when PnP roleplaying, I envision everything in 3rd-person. The immersion is evnisioning things like a movie in my mind, not pretending that I, personally, am actually there.)
Well said. :)

I love TPP, but I would never play a TPP Call of Duty game (or any Call of Duty game, but you get the idea...)

I also don't think I would've enjoyed the Deus Ex games as much if they were purely TPP. Nor would I have enjoyed Fallout 4 as much if I wasn't given the option to go into FPP as I pleased.

Guest 4310777

I prefer first person, because you literally see the world through the eyes of the character and you can almost forget you are playing a video game.. obviously it's also easier to make a first person game compatible with virtual reality in the future. It's also better in very claustrophobic environments. That being said, if you take note from Bethesda and Rockstar, having optional perspectives is the way to go, why bother alienating part of your audience over something so trivial? If the game assets are designed with enough detail for first person, then it should be fine.

Third person in a role playing game... Some people just come there expecting a sort of first person shooter with roleplay elements...

Also who claims first person is immersive is not immersive at all to me walking around as a floating head with arms on my cheeks...
And sorry but in a RPG i would like to see my character also because is cyberpunk and i want to see how my character looks stylish in the world of the game..

First person only rpg lacks always customization...Or the one that have it usually have a fixed protagonist you can't change....

First person is objectively the most immersive perspective that allows you to experience the world through your character directly instead of controlling your character from behind. I hope that you guys follow through with your vision of having a first person perspective first and don't listen to the vocal minority on this forum who want to force third person on people who want a more immersive title with great action combat gameplay along with the extensive RPG elements.
I agree, too many people seem to think that the only thing that makes your character is how he/she looks... What makes your character are the choices you make and the gameplay style you choose...

I prefer first person, because you literally see the world through the eyes of the character and you can almost forget you are playing a video game.. obviously it's also easier to make a first person game compatible with virtual reality in the future. It's also better in very claustrophobic environments. That being said, if you take note from Bethesda and Rockstar, having optional perspectives is the way to go, why bother alienating part of your audience over something so trivial? If the game assets are designed with enough detail for first person, then it should be fine.
The thing is, even in real life, you see people completely obsessed with how they look all of the time. Endless selfies, shooting videos of their faces when they do things, etc... I guess that probably extends to the video game world as well, lol.

I run and write Datafortress 2020, the largest, most comprehensive Cyberpunk 2020 website that ever existed. Also, until a couple of years ago when heart and back problems forced a hiatus, the only regularly updated site of the last 10 years. It is no boast to say I am in part responsible for the game staying alive, since the last 2020 supplement from R.Talsorian cane out in the 1990's.

I have been playing Cyberpunk 2020 since the 2013 edition in 1989.

You will not find a bigger or more supportive fan of Cyberpunk 2020 than me.

I have dreamed of a video game based off Cyberpunk 2020 from the first moment I played GTA 3.

I was one of the first to register on the Cyberpunk 2077 blogs and original forums.

To say I was excited and hyped, especially after playing Witcher 3 (thanks again Sard) is an understatement of immense proportion. And when I saw the trailer yesterday, I literally wept tears of joy and excitement.

And yet, the announcement that the game will be First Person Perspective has almost killed all my interest in the game. Not just because first person makes character customization all but pointless, not just because melee and hand to hand in first person fames that are primarily shooting based always is utter garbage, but because first person perspective gives me migraines and prevents me from enjoying, or even playing sometimes, the games that force it.

The only way I could be less disappointed is if the combat were turn based.

I urge you, please reconsider....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom