Most terrible conference ever from CDPR

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aver

Forum veteran
Rock4one said:
Not me...If I wanted to play a game using guns I would go back to Call of Duty!

I don't care about guns, but I care about awesome dystopian world. Also there is way to many fantasy RPGs. It will be something fresh.

@OP: You know, if you had said something about how the stream didn't stream much, or you had expected more information in a conference that was slated for 2 hours instead of 1 hour twice, I could understand that, but complaining about an announcement that didn't happen (yet) just wasn't what I was expecting from this thread.

CDPR can't say anything about TW3 yet because they are still expanding on TW2 and yes, even still expanding on TW1. I find this news exciting. I have every hope they will take over the world, showing the big developers and distributors that you can honor what gamers want and make a profit. Meanwhile, developing a new unique game in another genre can only help cement their position as a force to be reckoned with.

I personally have failed every cyberpunk game I've tried. That doesn't mean I won't be giving this one a chance, though, and it doesn't mean I don't want TW3, it just means I have more options than I had yesterday.

Instead of bemoaning what they are doing, I choose to hope for success and expansion for this company.

(edit: typing)

Awww, they're all so young! lol

No, it's us who should thank you, CDPR. You have given us a full range of emotions and many many hours of enjoyment. Although, if you want to keep doing so, I won't gripe. :D

Rock4one said:

So any game that has guns is just like Call of Duty? Mass Effect, Max Payne, Deus Ex, Resident Evil, etc.. It doesn't matter what the rest of the game is about, what kind of game design they have, or how the combat mechanics actually work, they're basically like playing Call of Duty?

Or, what? I'm just not understanding your connection between comparing an RPG built around its story and characters that so happens to have guns, with a FPS game that's heavy on action, less so about character, world, or story.

guipit said:
is that a filipino guy saying "salamat"? that's cool. I wonder what his job is there.

It definitely looked like it.
Incentive to apply for a job? :)

guipit said:
How did you animated sex scenes? Was that mo cap? Is there video material of this mo cap in progress?

(Resists urge to say "Incentive to apply for a job?" )

Rock4one said:
Maybe you are new around the gaming scene, but Call Of Duty was not the first FPS around here, so you maybe need to rephrase that to Wolfenstein 3D, and that's still not truthful enough ;)

Call of duty is not even good shooter. Also there are brilliant rpgs with guns, fallout 2 and 1 for example and they have nothing to do with aiming. Actually im fed up with medieval settings a little.

Guest 2091327

Don't think I've ever played a cyberpunk game, but have bought Fallout 1 and 2 so maybe those fit into the category. It's great CDPR are growing another foot to stand on, while they also focus on their bread and butter so to speak with The Witcher games. They're perhaps the only game developer I trust right now, so I have good faith they'll make another great game. As long as they stick to a mature world with tough choices and real(ish) consequences they'll have another winner. Whether we use guns, swords, arrows or dickwaving isn't the main issue. What matters is the quality of the story and the professionality of the game.

sandisrd said:
So where is big announcement? Where is epic The witcher 3 announcement?....Instead of TW realistic franchise we get some crappy weird RPG ''cyberpunk''!!!, so what next Mario with RPG elements!!!.
Come on!, company like CDPR building such a big fan base because of TW realistic franchise presents now this childish (Deus ex style) game, biggest disappointment, truly biggest from CDPR!, well reason for that is because this company was last hope for video game industry mature players.....:(:(

TW 2 Enhanced edition was just released for a platform CD RED have never done before. It also took several years after TW 1 Enhanced edition before we actually knew TW 2 would come to any platform. I understand your concerns but you really should be more patient. TW 3 is most likely still in the planning section and they of course have to work alot with that before they actually have any valid information to release to the community. Rest assure TW 3 will come, that we are almost 100% certain of and can you really blame a company who wants to try something new? If not, then you could say that the xbox release wasn't necessary at all.

Your view on "crappy weird RPG Cyberpunk" is your subjective view and is not a valid critique that their conference was terrible and/or bad. Alot of people looks forward to this since there's too few cyberpunk games released first of all and the pen and paper game Cyberpunk was and still is really popular. I also don't see how you can compare it to Mario as Mario is made in a goofy world and Cyberpunk is not. Moving on, can you really judge this entire project based on that conference alone? We know nothing about the game and nothing on how the world will be. Based on the promises it will most likely be exactly like The Witcher franchise only to take place in a different time-era. With that information alone you as a mature games should be really thrilled that now, not only will you be able to play an awesome mature PC game in a fantasy world but also in a sci-fi world as well.

If you honestly feel like sci-fi is childish then you're clearly not familiar with that many sources that takes place in a sci-fi world... If anything most sci-fi is actually more dark and brutal than the fantasy genre seeing as the fantasy genre have been exposed to high fantasy japanese series as Dragonball, Final Fantasy etc (Not to mention Europoean and American games like Fable and The Elder scroll series). I can't mention that many sci-fi worlds where everything were a happy Mario like world.

Moving on, if you really have that much trust in CD RED then why are you so certain this game will be like Deus ex? (Not that there's anything wrong with Deus EX but) I urge you to calm down a bit and wait and see the outcome. For all that we know this game could be the most complex dark game ever to be released, blowing any sci-fi games out of the water... And as I said, just wait a bit. We will get information about TW 3 in due time.

Seriously? People need to see a conference announcement of TW3 to be happy nowadays? Is there ANYONE here that isn't 110% sure that TW3 is coming and needs an announcement to feel better?!? Seriously?

And this makes the whole conference bad and horrible?

Sometimes I wonder about gamers.....

Pangaea said:
Don't think I've ever played a cyberpunk game, but have bought Fallout 1 and 2 so maybe those fit into the category.

Not exactly. Fallouts are post-apocalyptic RPGs, not cyberpunk. Those two settings usually do share dystopian atmosphere and the themes of destruction and decay as well as many others, commonly associated with sci-fi. However, cyberpunk focuses on the corruption and degeneration before the armageddon, while with post-apoc it's obviously the other way round. Also cyberpunk favours urban settings.

The closest thing to cyberpunk in gaming is Syndicate (available on GOG) and Deus Ex: series.

It's great CDPR are growing another foot to stand on, while they also focus on their bread and butter so to speak with The Witcher games. They're perhaps the only game developer I trust right now, so I have good faith they'll make another great game. As long as they stick to a mature world with tough choices and real(ish) consequences they'll have another winner. Whether we use guns, swords, arrows or dickwaving isn't the main issue. What matters is the quality of the story and the professionality of the game.

I would say they are still far from the RPG makers of the old, but they try. I hope that this new RPG will let us shape the character's personality on more profound levels, and finally have some other skills than combat-related with C&C built around them. The last thing we need is a roll-playing game popamole shooter with stats that poses as old-school, hardcore RPG.

just an aside, two threads were merged into this one. It just happened that my comments were listed back to back from both threads. I did not double post! (sorry I know it looks that way)

OT: For those who are not familiar with cyberpunk I'm assuming you have not read any William Gibson novels. The man is brilliant!!

I suggest you go grab Neuromancer, Count Zero, & Mona Lisa Overdrive (all 3 because once you start you'll be fracked if you can't continue.) Or if you'd like to start on something a bit easier to comprehend, try Burning Chrome, which is a collection of short stories.

Keep in mind as you're reading that he is writing about tech that is under development NOW in 2012. The books were written in the 80's!!!

Childish, OP? I don't think you have a clue as to what you're talking about. Please look into it more before you make such sweeping judgments.

If this cyberpunk game is anything close to W. Gibson novels, I'll be a happy, happy, happy customer!!

Thank you bbk4114, I've take note of those 3 novels... plus 7 TW Saga, plus 4 of my new unreaded books--- that mkes a total of... Ouch! Thank you CDPR for giving me two years of waiting!!!

sandisrd said:
From epic The witcher to big joke PAPER & PEN RPG!!, are you kidding me....:D

PS: If you really want you can even make Mario mature....

You really have no idea what a role-playing game is, or where "role-playing" video games come from, do you?

sandisrd said:
It's not going to be pen and paper seniore derp. It's most likely going to end up being somewhat similar to Deus Ex.

Hopefully not. I'd like an RPG, not a shooter with superficial RPG elements.

sandisrd said:
That is till to be argue, but apart from that looks like nothing special than Deus ex, maybe more mature....

*sigh*

sandisrd said:

Thankfully others already replied. I'll do it anyway. First, guns and first-person shooters do not necessarily go together (Fallout being an excellent example). Second, every shooter goes back to Wolfenstein 3D. But I understand that *you* would go back to CoD, since it's easily one of the most widespread games now.

sandisrd said:
I would say they are still far from the RPG makers of the old, but they try. I hope that this new RPG will let us shape the character's personality on more profound levels, and finally have some other skills than combat-related with C&C built around them. The last thing we need is a roll-playing game popamole shooter with stats that poses as old-school, hardcore RPG.

Exactly my thoughts. Unlike what others said, there aren't any real futuristic RPG's out there now, I would barely consider Mass Effect 1 an RPG and definitely not the 3rd. Same with Deus Ex, which is a hybrid. Even The Witcher 2 doesn't have much in the ways of customizing your character beyond combat-related abilities. Of course, The Witcher's universe doesn't really encourage you to be diplomatic with monsters, although you *can* be in certain occasions (as with Troll Trouble).

Have you read the description of Shadowrun Returns? That sounds promising. I hope CD Projekt can take a similar direction, of course with their own, unique touch.

EDIT: I quote from the Kickstarter Shadowrun Returns video:

(...) What we want to create is a graphically rich, 2D, tactical turn-based adventure, with highly contextual gameplay (...).

(...) To us a role-playing game has three things: it's got a great story with fascinating characters whose motivations actually make sense, it's got a fun world to explore, and it's got character development options which as you expand and develop your characters actually open up new gameplay opportunities. (...)

Sometimes I think CDP does not deserve this audience. I mean "a certain part of it". Sorry, probably this doesn't suit to my position, but my disappointment about some people hatred and scorn is really huge and their behaviour, un-understandable. Juuuhan has pretty summarized my thoughts, so thank you Juuuhan.

As for the RPG elements: I guess this new game might be like VTM-Bloodlines\Redemption, both based on the most famous (simply stellar) World of Darkness P&P rpg. If someone does not know them, I suggest to play it absolutely, so you will understand what I am talking about.

Frankly, I can't really stand in my shoes to see another good rpg like Bloodlines\Redemption, and this new based on Cyberpunk is nothing but a blessing to us.

And if you don't like sci-fi or cyberpunk, just skip it. You can't, you REALLy can't expect the world will be full of medieval games ONLY, for witcher-sake!

Volsung said:
Exactly my thoughts. Unlike what others said, there aren't any real futuristic RPG's out there now, I would barely consider Mass Effect 1 an RPG and definitely not the 3rd. Same with Deus Ex, which is a hybrid. Even The Witcher 2 doesn't have much in the ways of customizing your character beyond combat-related abilities.

Exactly. The character progression in TW2 makes it look like a pretty good action-adventure with stats, and not an RPG.

Of course, The Witcher's universe doesn't really encourage you to be diplomatic with monsters, although you *can* be in certain occasions (as with Troll Trouble).

Actually, this is the common misconception which serves as an argument against any other gameplay styles in the franchise. If one analysed the novels closely, it would turn out that Geralt fights rarely; he is more eager to avoid it through various means. Only a handful of short stories are about him fighting creatures - more are about finding alternative or peaceful solutions to supernatural problems. So why must the gameplay in TW series restrict Geralt and all his skills just to combat? It is fairly easy to come up with peaceful or semi-peaceful means of solving a quest through the use of alchemy, magic and even swordsmanship.

Have you read the description of Shadowrun Returns? That sounds promising. I hope CD Projekt can take a similar direction, of course with their own, unique touch.

Yeah I did. Sounds promising, though I've never been a great fan of Shadowrun. Wasteland 2, on the other hand...

Mrowakus said:
Actually, this is the common misconception which serves as an argument against any other gameplay styles in the franchise. If one analysed the novels closely, it would turn out that Geralt fights rarely; he is more eager to avoid it through various means. Only a handful of short stories are about him fighting creatures - more are about finding alternative or peaceful solutions to supernatural problems. So why must the gameplay in TW series restrict Geralt and all his skills just to combat? It is fairly easy to come up with peaceful or semi-peaceful means of solving a quest through the use of alchemy, magic and even swordsmanship.

Oops my mistake, I meant the Witcher games, not the universe itself (which would include the saga). You are right.

And precisely that element of open problem solving through either of a witcher's skills would make this already good game legendary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom