Movement controls feel sluggish - any fix?

+
It's very annoying trying to manoeuvre Geralt around cramped areas, especially when trying to interact with objects/pick up loot. Sometimes Geralt has be in JUST the right position for the prompt to appear, way too precise given the imprecise movement controls. Unfortunately I don't expect this will be fixed, we're probably stuck with bad movement. Combat is thankfully okay, but the walking animations when outside of combat are completely broken.

Yes I am playing on PS4 and imprecise walking controls are one of my only complaints. Interacting with objects (be it loot, horse, NPCs, etc) is a bit of a pain and is something that needs to be addressed as it's what we'll be doing more often .

Yeah, I've tried the game myself now with K+B, and controlling Geralt feels a bit weird. There's a certain delay between pushing the button and Geralt's reaction. Also, moving / stopping is a bit 'slidey', can't put my finger on what's with that. But unforunately I can only get around 20-25 fps on low, so that might very well be the reason.

I think the best thing I could do is wait until I finish my exams and get a new PC. By that time, these kind of things might have been ironed out.

Last edited:
Feels to me like its incredibly slow turning/starting/stopping animations that make Geralt feel sluggish and "slidey".

Especially in small areas.

There's a ton of numbers in the ini files. Maybe this movement tweaking can be improved upon by messing around with the input/animation speeds? This would be for PC users.

This is the only complaint I have so far with the game. There's clearly an input delay with the mouse and keyboard setup. I got especially frustrated with it when trying to select signs. Sometimes I have to go back in and press the sign button again and again to get it to register button presses.

This is definitely one of my biggest issues with the game, it happens no matter what I use (keyboard or controller).

This is a big issue in the game, that severely alters the awesome Witcher experience. Fortunately combat moments are ok.
I hope CDPR will take a look on this.

From another thread:

"To increase the responsiveness of in-game movement when using a controller, go to "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\platform\pc\", open the "platformgameplay.ini" file with a text editor and find the "LeftStickSensitivity" variable, located at the top. This setting is defaulted to "0.7", but change it to "1.0" for more responsive analog movement!

Many thanks go to Asmodean778 for this tweak!"

Maybe there is a similar setting in there for KB+Mouse movement sensitivity/delay.

Not sure if is only me but..

[TAB] Signs menu - while in combat window wont pop up always like in W2, its a bit annoying you have to run away [HARD TAB] for one skill use. When you roaming around with sword in hand it works perfectly fine but when in combat dodging attacks its little annoying its not like in W2 you can always turn it on. Lucky there are short cuts to skills and mouse scroll.

From another thread:

"To increase the responsiveness of in-game movement when using a controller, go to "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\platform\pc\", open the "platformgameplay.ini" file with a text editor and find the "LeftStickSensitivity" variable, located at the top. This setting is defaulted to "0.7", but change it to "1.0" for more responsive analog movement!

Many thanks go to Asmodean778 for this tweak!"

Maybe there is a similar setting in there for KB+Mouse movement sensitivity/delay.

It may just be a placebo effect, but I think that has made turning slightly more responsive. Starting and stopping is still delayed though.

ya know, the movement reminds me a lot of DA inquisition. Like i would be standing on a board or something and would like to just maybe turn around a little bit but i do that and my character like takes a full step and a half or something lol.

I've tried it with a gamepad now. Combat feels more fluid that way, but regular movement is still horrendous. I can't pin it down, but it seems to me the animations are just too long, too elaborate to allow snappy, immediate movement and direction changes? Gamepad has its very own pitfalls, too. Trying to maneuver close to objects and focusing their tiny interaction hotspot is an exercise in frustration with analog controls.

I've tried it with a gamepad now. Combat feels more fluid that way, but regular movement is still horrendous. I can't pin it down, but it seems to me the animations are just too long, too elaborate to allow snappy, immediate movement and direction changes? Gamepad has its very own pitfalls, too. Trying to maneuver close to objects and focusing their tiny interaction hotspot is an exercise in frustration with analog controls.

It's a shame really, as it greatly detracts from the fluid, fast paced, interactive combat :/ turning needs to be as fast as it is in the arkham games if they want to portray anything close to the highly tuned, instinctive killing machine Geralt that we saw in the 'killing monsters' trailer. they could implement speedy turns only when in combat?

As for out of combat movement, I agree that it is hard to maneuver, and some increased precision there would be welcome. But I don't think the turns there need to be faster, so much as shorter, so we have more control over Geralt's direction and how far he is moving

This is really not what this thread is about. Turning HW cursor on is the basic first step in any game (it should be on by default). It does nothing for Geralt's actual movement.

it helped me, maybe it will help someone else, and this is thread about movement control, so I think its ok, if not, moderators are here

Top Bottom