New Game+ is coming it seems

+
They can't really do that since there is a huge difficulty spike between lvl 75 and lvl 76 enemies if Geralt's level is fixed @70, due to the "red enemy" multiplier. Assume a bunch of wolves is lvl 75 and the pack leading warg is 76, while each wolf has for instance 10k HP the warg has at least 80k, does 5 times the dmg and while all wolves burn a 100% the warg is completely immune... sounds like an unreasonable spike, no?
Even without that system TW3 would make a piss-poor Action-Adventure in it's current state... just because there is no level up does not mean there is no character progression, you usually acquire skills/items that help you progress through the game, find hidden goodies etc. that would be completely absent from TW3s adventure mode. There is also the motivation problem... people complain about quest not being rewarding, due to low XP gain... now consider this in an NG++ scenario, where all quests yield 0 XP you have no need for money, or any of the other drops.

Well if you design the mode to be with fixed levels, you can choose the enemy levels yourself... And by the way, isn't the point of dark mode to have it tough? If there indeed are some enemies more difficult then others, well, that's just my point!

And dark mode shouldn't be played (in my very humble opinion) for the story or progression of your character, but for the challenge.

And by the way, isn't the point of dark mode to have it tough? If there indeed are some enemies more difficult then others, well, that's just my point!

Actually no... Dark Mode was designed for those that sucked too much for Insane, they even added some extra hand holding by adding easy to acquire BiS gear. It's the challenge mode for those that did not want to get challenged so to speak.

Well if you design the mode to be with fixed levels, you can choose the enemy levels yourself... .

Yes you can but they could not use the current scaling system to place fixed lvl mobs, since that system only allows you too fill the world with cannon fodder (every green enemy) and HP/damage sponges (every red enemy), due to the extreme stat buff (8xHP, 5xdmg, +200% flat dot resistance afaik) enemies 6+ levels higher than you get. Guess the multiplier could simply be turned off in that mode, but the normal scaling is most probably not suited to properly balance HP, dmg and resistance gains, which more or less means they had to hand assign all stats... and that simply won't happen. Finally this game simply has no chance to provide a challenge with "god mode" as a legit build (delayed recovery+ superior white raffards)
And my last paragraph refers to the idea of an "Adventure mode" in general, which was the initial suggestion... even if they got the enemy scaling right, it'd still make a pretty bad adventure game, for many reasons.

Last edited:
They can't really do that since there is a huge difficulty spike between lvl 75 and lvl 76 enemies if Geralt's level is fixed @70, due to the "red enemy" multiplier. Assume a bunch of wolves is lvl 75 and the pack leading warg is 76, while each wolf has for instance 10k HP the warg has at least 80k, does 5 times the dmg and while all wolves burn a 100% the warg is completely immune... sounds like an unreasonable spike, no?
Of coruse such a mode needs some rebalancing of enemies. That's pretty obvious. Every enemies needs to be rebalanced to match Geralt's consistent level. You can't compare that to the balancing that is in place right now.

Even without that system TW3 would make a piss-poor Action-Adventure in it's current state... just because there is no level up does not mean there is no character progression, you usually acquire skills/items that help you progress through the game, find hidden goodies etc. that would be completely absent from TW3s adventure mode.
It's also absent from NG+ because you already have all the best items...

But in "action adventure mode" you could still get better gear that is the only way to improve your stats in that mode. So finding goodies is actually more important that ever in such a mode.

There is also the motivation problem... people complain about quest not being rewarding, due to low XP gain... now consider this in an NG++ scenario, where all quests yield 0 XP you have no need for money, or any of the other drops.
Actually if you only play a quest to get XP there is no reason why this quest exists in the first place imo. A good quest in a story-driven RPG should always be compelling and interesting by itself, by offering good gameplay, story or hard decisions. Whether you get XP for that or not is secondary. And the money is of course still important because getting better gear and weapons is still part of "action adventure mode", especially since you can't get any better without getting better gear.

I do think that this game was better off as an (story driven) Action-Adventure, or an RPG without leveling, if it was designed from the ground up to be like that, but simply disabling character progression, will not do it...
Agreed. But that's not what I wanted. I know that such a mode would require some serious rebalancing of the whole game but that's something they have to do for NG+ no matter what. It's definitely possible to turn TW3 into an action-adventure without changing too much at the core of the game imo

And while some people in here claim that buffing the Gwent Decks of a few NPCs and coming up with some new rewards, is already asking for a completely new game... a proper Adventure mode actually is, it's certainly way more effort than reset quests and adjust the min level of mobs.
It includes more effort for sure - but also a much bigger and more compelling goal. It would really improve the game and give it even more scope, rather than just renumbering some enemy stats.

---------- Updated at 02:31 PM ----------

Actually no... Dark Mode was designed for those that sucked too much for Insane, they even added some extra hand holding by adding easy to acquire BiS gear. It's the challenge mode for those that did not want to get challenged so to speak.
The difficulty of insane and DM was exactly the same. Only difference was that DM had no perma-death (which has nothing to do with difficulty imo) and the better gear. But opposed to your opinion I don't think that it was that easy to acquire. On the opposite you needed a ridiculously high amount of crafting material for some of these items. But yes, if you had them DM was a bit easier than insane, but not that much. It was still pretty challenging.

The difficulty of insane and DM was exactly the same. Only difference was that DM had no perma-death (which has nothing to do with difficulty imo) and the better gear. But opposed to your opinion I don't think that it was that easy to acquire. On the opposite you needed a ridiculously high amount of crafting material for some of these items. But yes, if you had them DM was a bit easier than insane, but not that much. It was still pretty challenging.

Are you sure about that?

I never checked actual stats, but my understanding was that Hard Mode and Insane were the same difficulty, and the DM was harder. But as DM was played exclusively by players who already knew the game, and as DM equipment was overpowered, it FELT a lot easier.

Actually no... Dark Mode was designed for those that sucked too much for Insane, they even added some extra hand holding by adding easy to acquire BiS gear.

Oh you're one of those. Shan't argue then.

And duh, of course the rebalancing wouldn't be as it is now. But the concept remains.

Are you sure about that?

I never checked actual stats, but my understanding was that Hard Mode and Insane were the same difficulty, and the DM was harder. But as DM was played exclusively by players who already knew the game, and as DM equipment was overpowered, it FELT a lot easier.

Ahem, now I'm not so sure about it myself anymore... :ermm:

It's also absent from NG+ because you already have all the best items...

But in "action adventure mode" you could still get better gear that is the only way to improve your stats in that mode. So finding goodies is actually more important that ever in such a mode.

Looks like they'll update the Witcher sets and since you keep leveling up the NG gear becomes outdatet... so I guess the gear "grind" stays the same.

And you don't think the items the game could currently give you are... too boring? For instance this game has basically a single weapon and even if the different versions have different effects, they aren't that exciting imo same for the armor. It's not like opening the dungeons great treasure chest in a Zelda game and finding something really unique.

Actually if you only play a quest to get XP there is no reason why this quest exists in the first place imo. A good quest in a story-driven RPG should always be compelling and interesting by itself, by offering good gameplay, story or hard decisions. Whether you get XP for that or not is secondary. And the money is of course still important because getting better gear and weapons is still part of "action adventure mode", especially since you can't get any better without getting better gear.

Well I totally agree with this, but just look at all the "I have no reason to do this quest, if I only get 5XP! FIX PLZ!!!" complaints...
Yeah money in "Adventure Mode" as an alternative NG could be important, the motivation issue was for "Adventure/Fixed Dark Mode as NG+(+)" where you basically stocked up on anything interesting in your traditional NG.

Agreed. But that's not what I wanted. I know that such a mode would require some serious rebalancing of the whole game but that's something they have to do for NG+ no matter what. It's definitely possible to turn TW3 into an action-adventure without changing too much at the core of the game imo

They should do serious rebalancing for NG+, we'll see tho :p
Don't get me wrong I'm not that excited for NG+ and I don't really expect anything else than "same game +lvl30 with everything unlocked from the start (xcept my complete Card collection that I have to complete for the 4th time, or ignore that part of the game completely /rant)" and I'd totally prefer a well done "Adventure mode", but -this is where our opinions differ - I don't think it can be done with a reasonable amount of effort within the games current framework. There is just too much to change, if you want good results imo. I have the same opinion regarding combat tho... simple matter of expectation, well and the definition of "reasonable effort" :p

I don't think that perma-death is the best (or even a good) method to increase difficulty, but it does make it harder to beat the game imo. You can't just "yolo" anything and you won't fight till the last sliver of health, if you have to start from the very beginning in case you screw up. You also have to get past all the difficulty spikes without failing, which can be pretty frustrating... it's like the difference between rolling a 6 n-times and rolling a 6 n-times in a row.
Yeah crafting the gear was a lengthy and tedious process, but since you could buy the diagrams and almost all ingredients, I wouldn't say it's hard. You didn't have to solve that tough new quest, with the tough new boss at the end to get the gear... those are just semantics tho.
I think that Witcher gear is basically a slightly better implementation of the Dark Mode gear (craftable BiS gear for a certain lvl range, with a "quest" and some lore attached... quests in TW3 are slightly more exciting at least )
So yeah... DM was Insane with two features making it easier (pretty sure Insane had tougher enemies than Hard)

Read the interviews, they are pretty dated... Not that I don't believe you. But maybe they meant that 'you can't reacht he level cap within one playthrough', since at that point, there was no discussing NG+...

And also, why would they go to the trouble of differentiating between hackers and a normal game?

In any case, kind of irrelevant what they cap it at. My dark mode idea remains the same. Whatever the REDs decide to cap at, if they were to do it that way.

Doesn't matter if they are dated, click the area that says twitter it is very clear that the dev says "no level cap". However there is a soft level cap at 50 where you stop gaining points to spend in your character tree. But you can keep leveling.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/witcher-3-no-level-cap/

https://twitter.com/marcin360/status/600953392954011649?lang=en

---------- Updated at 03:54 PM ----------

I can't find no official interview... all I can see are news articles compiled from the forum information... so source plz.

Even without that system TW3 would make a piss-poor Action-Adventure in it's current state... just because there is no level up does not mean there is no character progression, you usually acquire skills/items that help you progress through the game, find hidden goodies etc. that would be completely absent from TW3s adventure mode. There is also the motivation problem... people complain about quest not being rewarding, due to low XP gain... now consider this in an NG++ scenario, where all quests yield 0 XP you have no need for money, or any of the other drops.

I do think that this game was better off as an (story driven) Action-Adventure, or an RPG without leveling, if it was designed from the ground up to be like that, but simply disabling character progression, will not do it...
And while some people in here claim that buffing the Gwent Decks of a few NPCs and coming up with some new rewards, is already asking for a completely new game... a proper Adventure mode actually is, it's certainly way more effort than reset quests and adjust the min level of mobs.

There is no level cap
https://twitter.com/marcin360/status/600953392954011649?lang=en

Last edited:
DM was harder, I clearly recall they said that. It was my standard setting as I also avoided the Dark gear, and this way the game was at its best imo.

Why did you avoid dark mode? And isn't it sad that the no items were transferred over to this game like from the first game to the second?

Why did you avoid dark mode? And isn't it sad that the no items were transferred over to this game like from the first game to the second?

I avoided the Dark gear because it was overpowered as hell. Crafting my own gear as well as playing with alchemy was more rewarding and did the job just fine. Ironically, NG+ may end up being a more balanced version of TW3 since it will have retooled stats.

I avoided the Dark gear because it was overpowered as hell. Crafting my own gear as well as playing with alchemy was more rewarding and did the job just fine. Ironically, NG+ may end up being a more balanced version of TW3 since it will have retooled stats.

What do you mean retooled stats? Also if I recall if you didn't use the dark gear in dark mode it was like wading through hell!

The only thing I really disliked about Dark Mode was that forced "black graphics effect" in combat. Gladly there was a mod to disable that soon after its release.

I played the game with the DM gear of act 2 until the end. Not only because act 3 was a bit more challenging that way but also because I failed to get the ingredients for the DM gear ofact 3. :p

Yup, me too. I liked the appearances of two of the DM sets, but after one playthrough, I just stuck them onto other equipment. Never felt like I was wading through hell though.

I guess it boils down to how someone thinks through the process of each fight and how they proceed. That's probably the difference between wading through hell and taking ten minutes to kill one monster (literally).

Question for you, do you know why they opted for not transferring any gear from the second game to this game this time around?

quick question: does this new game + mode allows only 1 other playthrough or an unlimited number of subsequent playthroughs???

Top Bottom