Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that witchers can move really fast and do all the tricks but I just feel like the animations are really really choppy. It just seems so twitchy. Enemies don't seem to really react at all when getting sliced (That is unless they run out of health at which point they are split in half). Aren't they using some kind of high tech mocap? The animations in the VGX and debut trailers looked almost fake how fluid and cinematic they were. What happened? lol

http://share.gifyoutube.com/KY85j3.gif

Witcher 2 has an excuse since their budget was really low and they were running out of time and stuff, but one of the advertising points of this game is the "amazing animation" "geralt has so many animations in this game" and it all looks quite meh. Not even mentioning the facial animations which are stony and clay like.

And the weapon streaks don't help

Last edited:
Just watched a russian version of the video. It looks the same, but the lines characters say is quite different. Geralt and Yen talk more about Ciri.

http://vk.com/wall-14777224_97780

Geralt: What happend here?
Man: A death come through here and I felt it's cold breath. They didn't stay for long and village froze like in the middle of winter. He is not alive anymore, they caught him in that hut. If only you'd hear how human can scream.
Wild Hunt: Witcher, I'm so long waited for you.
Yennefer: You saw what happend. Ciri can be even more dangerous than Wild Hunt.
Geralt: They will figure that I find her and try to attack us. I want you to help me to push them back. We all knew how much risk this would take. Elder blood flows in Ciri's veins, that's why they want to hunt her down.
Wild Hunt: Control yourself Geralt, you know how this will end.

---------- Updated at 03:29 PM ----------

Last edited:
Aren't they using some kind of high tech mocap? The animations in the VGX and debut trailers looked almost fake how fluid and cinematic they were. What happened? lol
I don't know, maybe it's just a cutscene (ed. - probably not), it does seem 'suspiciously' fluid.

However, it's easy to take tiny snippets that look great. For example, the fight with the endregas in the 35 minute demo had some rather amazing animations.

Last edited:
The downgrade is real

We can't trust the developers anymore!

Not after them lying to us!

P.S. Obvious jokes are obvious

The downgrade is real

We can't trust the developers anymore!

Not after them lying to us!

P.S. Obvious jokes are obvious

Made my day. Those wolves are just too realistic :D

Wait - did I see them just SPARKLE?!

On-topic, just for maintaining the speculating: As it was written down like thousand times before - since we don't know anything further about the latest trailer footage than it was done in a few hours, something like an obvious downgrade can't be confirmed, so it's useless accusing CDPR of lying to us. Let's wait for the final product to critizise the graphics then.

Don't see where's the point of all these fears, though. Would it be any good for CDPR's reputation if it turns out in the end they lied to us about that non-existing downgrade multiple times? Don't think so, naturally, so I don't think there was/is a downgrade. There might be some problems, of course, but about that, we can only speculate, too, so that's not getting us anywhere. Waiting is all we can do.

I understand that witchers can move really fast and do all the tricks but I just feel like the animations are really really choppy. It just seems so twitchy. Enemies don't seem to really react at all when getting sliced (That is unless they run out of health at which point they are split in half). Aren't they using some kind of high tech mocap? The animations in the VGX and debut trailers looked almost fake how fluid and cinematic they were. What happened? lol

Witcher 2 has an excuse since their budget was really low and they were running out of time and stuff, but one of the advertising points of this game is the "amazing animation" "geralt has so many animations in this game" and it all looks quite meh. Not even mentioning the facial animations which are stony and clay like.

And the weapon streaks don't help
This
The animations and the combat in general are so downgraded they look like Morrowind

Made my day. Those wolves are just too realistic :D

Wait - did I see them just SPARKLE?!

On-topic, just for maintaining the speculating: As it was written down like thousand times before - since we don't know anything further about the latest trailer footage than it was done in a few hours, something like an obvious downgrade can't be confirmed, so it's useless accusing CDPR of lying to us. Let's wait for the final product to critizise the graphics then.

Don't see where's the point of all these fears, though. Would it be any good for CDPR's reputation if it turns out in the end they lied to us about that non-existing downgrade multiple times? Don't think so, naturally, so I don't think there was/is a downgrade. There might be some problems, of course, but about that, we can only speculate, too, so that's not getting us anywhere. Waiting is all we can do.

I am glad it made your day :D

As for the rest of your post I completely agree and there is no reason for anyone to think there will be downgrade. CPDR has never done such things in the past and it most likely will not in the future, knowing their commitment and having played three of their other games I can feel the quality in every aspect. The Witcher 3 is their biggest project yet but they are not new to the industry or game development, they just never made something on such a massive scale as Witcher 3 before so the delay is understandable. I expect it to be absolutely amazing and I am keeping my prepurchase active on Steam until it comes out.

If anybody has any definitive proof of a downgrade I am yet to see it

I may be insane, but none of the animations have have seen, save for the walking animation (which is amazing) are that good in my eyes. The way Geralt just twirls like the game is in fast motion. I mean, I know he is a witcher, a special mutated witcher at that, but in like the cutscenes with combat like the one from elder blood when he was fighting with the other guy, he is still moving fast but it doesn't look ridiculousness twitchy and whatnot. I realize that is a cutscene but that should be proof that his animations being all twitchy like that isn't "because he is a witcher".

There is no weight behind the strikes. Enemies still don't react to your blows until when they die. Enemies' attacks, especially human ones with swords, look sluggish and lazy, and the counters are crap. Like they literally slow motion poke their weapons at him, and then geralt proceeds to block it and do some insane twitchy dance routine and cuts them in half. The difference/departure between how lazy and sluggish the enemies are and how ridiculously seizurey Geralt is creates a really ugly image

In the debut trailer, IDK it just looked so much BETTER. Geralt had some WEIGHT behind all his attacks, like building up his attack before using Aard on the ground, or reeling a bit after swinging.

In terms of graphics I KNOW the game is gonna be gorgeous, I just trust them that much. But this is literally the ONLY con I have with the game.

I have gotten a LOT of hate because of how much of an animation snob I am. But crap..

Still the best looking scene in any trailer... best animations, best feel, best Aard, best fire, best combat, best everything

I don't know how come this misleading showcase is accpetble here

I do not think we will see such a thing in the game. Still i hope...

debut and vgx trailer was just wow, speechless. And it was said "in game footage".
I just hope it doesn't turn out like dark souls 2 or watch dogs' downgrade, and neither AC Unity horrible performance.
As a newcomer to the series the trailer got me to play witcher 2 and 1, that were laying on my steam library untouched.

I don't want to sound like a graphic whore, but better graphics means more immersion for a great experience.
My preorder is still there, let's hope for the best

http://share.gifyoutube.com/yxDdN3.gif

*slowly walks toward Geralt*

*Gets slashed in the face without him even flinching or raising his sword*

*Doesn't care. Loses a bit of health. Continues to walk emotionlessly*

http://share.gifyoutube.com/vZXWwG.gif

*Stands there*

*Geralt does annoying 360 slash animation I thought everyone didn't like in Witcher 2*

*Enemy Doesn't move an inch as the sword happens to make perfect contact agains there shield.

*Continues to stand there*

"Witcher is the most realistic combat sim"

I know he has a shield but holy crap..he doesn't even flinch. The enemies just stand there like "wut" and Geralt is like "WEEE! WOOAHH! AHAAA! YIPEEEE! YAZOOOO!"

It looks like the only reason combat is "hard", especially in Witcher 2, is because they made parrying the most inconsistent and unbelievably poor system in the game, forcing you to roll around like a fool. I read the books, it went into GLORIOUS detail whenever a fight happened. Geralt parries and ripostes and it just paints a picture.

And then the classic witcher 2 thing happens again when he is fighting a water hag or whatever its called. It stands there and claws at him like 4 times and he loses a crapton of health, but the only way you can tell that just happened is by looking up at the health bar every now and then. Because Geralt doesn't really seem to notice and/or care /sarcasm.

Sigh, and then people yell at me and say things like 'But witchers are so strong and agile that they don't care when they get wounded".

Yeah, but pretty sure the laws of physics still apply when they are slashed at by a giant monster twice their size.

Little tidbits of "lore" don't apply to poor animation. Don't try to convince me that devs in the studio were like "Hm...well lets make Geralt NOT react to any attack, because he is really strong and a mutant".

Same applies to the dodging animation. They got rid of the rolling thank god, but it still looks awful. I understand he moves FAST, but he doesn't freaking teleport to the left or right, guys. Maybe it would make sense if he had just taken a wicked potion. But from what I have seen he just moves like that all the time.

Last edited:
I may be insane, but none of the animations have have seen, save for the walking animation (which is amazing) are that good in my eyes. The way Geralt just twirls like the game is in fast motion. I mean, I know he is a witcher, a special mutated witcher at that, but in like the cutscenes with combat like the one from elder blood when he was fighting with the other guy, he is still moving fast but it doesn't look ridiculousness twitchy and whatnot. I realize that is a cutscene but that should be proof that his animations being all twitchy like that isn't "because he is a witcher".

There is no weight behind the strikes. Enemies still don't react to your blows until when they die. Enemies' attacks, especially human ones with swords, look sluggish and lazy, and the counters are crap. Like they literally slow motion poke their weapons at him, and then geralt proceeds to block it and do some insane twitchy dance routine and cuts them in half. The difference/departure between how lazy and sluggish the enemies are and how ridiculously seizurey Geralt is creates a really ugly image

In the debut trailer, IDK it just looked so much BETTER. Geralt had some WEIGHT behind all his attacks, like building up his attack before using Aard on the ground, or reeling a bit after swinging.

In terms of graphics I KNOW the game is gonna be gorgeous, I just trust them that much. But this is literally the ONLY con I have with the game.

I have gotten a LOT of hate because of how much of an animation snob I am. But crap..

I suspect that the animations were the same, but slowed down. The problem is not about slow or fast action, instead it revolves around the nature of the animations itself. They are quite clunky and too hurried and the collisions effects (which have always been the weak spot of the entire saga) are poor.
Plus, the camera was closer and, even with the flaws I stated above, it gave a terrific feedback, making you feel inside the melee. Now we see everything from afar, so the ugly animations are uglier. I hope that the camera will be customizable in the option menu.
For what concerns enemy's A.i. and attacks, I'd say that we have seen only thugs in the human department, so I wouldn't expect complexity in their attacks, they should only be a bit more aggressive, attack simultaneously and from all the sides AND not walking into Yrden traps when casted kilometers away from them.
Speaking of the monsters, especially about the werewolf, I'd have expected a more ferocious behavior, with takedown, clawing and biting attempts.
I'm not asking to recreate the attacks from zero, but just to enhance their pace and occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom