Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's fair to test the waters and to consider a sub-genre of sci-fi as something niche, let alone cyberpunk, and cyberpunk in probably its purest form. In general I think that fantasy is much more popular than sci-fi or that unadulterated, hard sci-fi. A lot of the most popular sci-fi franchises are closer to fantasy with a futuristic coat of paint. Cyberpunk itself has seen a drift from something harsher, grayer, dirtier and political to something that is more about technology... while some of the most popular versions of the genre (and others like Steampunk) are often audulterated with magic, because it's either easier to write or easier to understand or both than technobabble (even if completely made up). A game that is a throwback to the original 80s style of cyberpunk may not have been as popular. But I think people are resonating well with it and I wonder if the current resurgence of popularity of the genre isn't thanks to CP2077 alone.

I think you've made some good observations. I've always had the impression that Cyberpunk is a fringe genre, despite the fact that some of the most high quality IP's out there are Cyperpunk. I'm thinking about Blade Runner, Ghost in The Shell, Akira and Deus Ex. You also have great animes like Vexille and Appleseed which draws heavily on Cyberpunk themes. I find it strange that Cyberpunk hasn't been more populare in the West. In some sense I'm actually happy about it, because I don't want big Hollywood studios to dumb down the genre or render it devoid of any substance. Cyberpunk is actually suited to be a fringe genre.

I care for GITS more than for any other fictional universe or IP. That's why I'm worried about this.

I'm also worried about the new live action GITS movie. I don't even know if I want to see it.

What else is new? While I tend to agree that many of what I personally refer to as "munchkins" often seem to fit that stereotype (all to well in some cases) most "serious" fans tend to be quite to opposite. Heck, just look at some of the discussions that take place in these forums ... posts involving anthropology, metallurgy, physics etc. are hardly uncommon. And the best Magna often touches on topics most live-action stuff won't touch.

Many people in the anime and gaming community are very intelligent and insightful people. Gaming in particular has been given a bad name, sadly. Like wtih most things unfamiliar or new, people won't bother trying to understand it. They will more likely just accept the prevailing narrative that gamers are losers who don't have a life.

Stereotypes are for lazy gonkers.

Last edited:
Cyberpunk itself has seen a drift from something harsher, grayer, dirtier and political to something that is more about technology... while some of the most popular versions of the genre (and others like Steampunk) are often audulterated with magic, because it's either easier to write or easier to understand or both than technobabble (even if completely made up).

Like Arthur C. Clarke said, "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." The process that goes into writing technobabble isn't much different than magic. There is an internal consistency in both that one must adhere to, and I can guarantee that if you picked up a copy of the Silmarillion, you would realize that fantasy - for better or worse - can be just as complex and obtuse as the most esoteric science fiction.

A game that is a throwback to the original 80s style of cyberpunk may not have been as popular. But I think people are resonating well with it and I wonder if the current resurgence of popularity of the genre isn't thanks to CP2077 alone.

Are you talking about specifically within the gaming community? I could see that, but I doubt that CP 2077 has had a broader cultural impact, say on films or television, when it hasn't even released yet and all that we have is a 3 minute trailer.

Fuck! I think I had two open tabs or something and I wanted to post my last message on the Cyberpunk Media films and stuff thread. Still, good talk is happening here so, not complaining. If anyone, you should be the ones complaining that I'm so monothematic that I have to infect every thread with my dislike of GITS LA.

Like Arthur C. Clarke said, "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." The process that goes into writing technobabble isn't much different than magic. There is an internal consistency in both that one must adhere to, and I can guarantee that if you picked up a copy of the Silmarillion, you would realize that fantasy - for better or worse - can be just as complex and obtuse as the most esoteric science fiction.

But maybe that's the thing. Maybe Clarke's saying doesn't fit the philosophy of this science fiction breed in particular. After all, it's not the genre of galactic empires and aliens with superior technology. It's the future of consumer grade technological products, the future of "digital natives" (which is a bit passe as most of us are kinda digital natives, but is still an interesting generational thing that can still be exploited with the excuse of the exponential development of technology to the point of... well, cyberspace and cyborgs. So maybe, cybernatives), the future where the streets find their own uses for things. I would imagine that in this kind of future there would be a gap between those who have access to the latest technologies and the riches... but it would be somewhat alleviated by people who get their technologies through other ways: theft, piracy, second hand, knockoffs, scavenging... In a cyberpunk future, the poorest person living in the least globalized part of earth wouldn't be completely alien to this kind of technology, not so much that it would seem like magic. This person would probably have some devices of this kind, even if the lowest of the low ends.

And I myself am a fan of fantasy and I'm not really attacking it or anything. But for the geeky community, it still seems like sci-fi in all its varieties is like the unsexier, nerdier brother of the two. And also there's a lot of shit fantasy... and well, a lot of shit sci-fi. I like Shadowrun because it lends itself to some very interesting stories about how the two interact, and I'm also intrigued by Arcanum (some day I'll play it, I swear). But the fantasy element, when added to some genres, seems to be like a desperate move to attract a wider audience, as if cyberpunk or steampunk weren't interesting enough by themselves. Steampunk, I think has it even worse in my opinion. The existence of Shadowrun doesn't spoil my enjoyment of purer cyberpunk (quite the contrary), but steampunk to me is a genre with so much potential but so dilluted... Give me a pure steampunk that extrapolates the realities of the19th century Britain, USA or whatever to a world where the preponderant technology is steam and it has given way to a lot of steam based inventions, and keep the werewolfs, the vampires, the gnomes and the immortal souls that reincarnate... You know how we say that the 'punk part has to be back in cyberpunk? Well, I think Steampunk should be much more punk too, and it would be as easy as putting a nice dose of Charles Dickens in it and toning down the face value elements of the tophats, corsets and gear shaped everything (gear shaped goggles, gear shaped buttons...).

I for example don't know much about steam technology and reading a refference book about it sounds too much like homework. How cool would it be that a steampunk book, rpg, whatever... taught me a bit about it, created this believable world in an age of invention and wonder instead of wasting time or space on things like what Gods created it. That's another pet peeve of mine. Why does bad fantasy get religions so bad? Everyone wants to invent their own pantheon of cool gods and shoehorn it in and pretend that in these worlds it isn't believed, but outright known that this holy history did happen.

Are you talking about specifically within the gaming community? I could see that, but I doubt that CP 2077 has had a broader cultural impact, say on films or television, when it hasn't even released yet and all that we have is a 3 minute trailer.

I'm talking generally about geeks in general. But I also have to say that I'm not trying to hold a higher stance, morally, intellectually or other. I don't consider myself especially intelligent, let alone more than people for whom cartoons, comics or videogames are less important than for me. What I really mean is that maybe the mass industries talking down to the general public are not stimulating them intellectually as much as their audience deserves or can take. The moviegoing audience can take something other than quick thrills and instant satisfaction. They can take a movie that they don't fully understand as long as it's stimulating enough that it will still be debated decades after its first showing, as opposed to a forgettable product.

That's another pet peeve of mine. Why does bad fantasy get religions so bad? Everyone wants to invent their own pantheon of cool gods and shoehorn it in and pretend that in these worlds it isn't believed, but outright known that this holy history did happen.

I'm not sure why that happens. Lazy writing perhaps? I guess it's easier to explain something away via a deus ex machina than it is to put agency in human hands. I don't particularly have a problem with active and impactful gods and goddesses, but I have read so much Greek drama that I guess I am used to divinities involving themselves in the daily goings-on of people. Science fiction is also guilty of this, though to a lesser degree. Have you ever seen Immortal Ad Vitam? It takes place in a dystopian 2095 New York where genetic manipulation is common and the Egyptian gods have set up shop in a floating pyramid above the city. Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdtUbFCbp1A

What I really mean is that maybe the mass industries talking down to the general public are not stimulating them intellectually as much as their audience deserves or can take. The moviegoing audience can take something other than quick thrills and instant satisfaction. They can take a movie that they don't fully understand as long as it's stimulating enough that it will still be debated decades after its first showing, as opposed to a forgettable product.

Yeah, I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Speaking of fantasy religions, at my weekly indie RPG session we were playing Dungeon World (think rules light indie DnD and two of the players were from a necromantic empire to the east. Well, they decided that said empire was a post-scarcity society based around undead labor ("We have universal basic income. We're not savages." Actual quote.) and that said empire was a theocracy built mostly around state worship.

That's how you do religion in fantasy, not some reverential organ-music-playing dramatic treatment. Pagan style pantheons are a dime a dozen. Do something original, fantasy people!

I'm not sure why that happens. Lazy writing perhaps? I guess it's easier to explain something away via a deus ex machina than it is to put agency in human hands. I don't particularly have a problem with active and impactful gods and goddesses, but I have read so much Greek drama that I guess I am used to divinities involving themselves in the daily goings-on of people. Science fiction is also guilty of this, though to a lesser degree. Have you ever seen Immortal Ad Vitam? It takes place in a dystopian 2095 New York where genetic manipulation is common and the Egyptian gods have set up shop in a floating pyramid above the city. Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdtUbFCbp1A

With Sard's permission, I will do one last comment unrelated to the thread. No, I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm quite a fan of the comics it's based on: The Nikopol trilogy by Enki Bilal. Those are pretty weird. They're cyberpunkish but they're not especially scientific. They read like some kind of fever dream and I love it.

*notices that people are getting dates and years, etc, wrong about when thing happend... so feels an urge to comment on it... tries to resist... but can not* XD

Back in May of 2012 CDPR announced on a live stream of their "CD Projekt RED Group Summer Conference" that they where going to make a game within the pnp rpg Cyberpunk universe (I don't know if they revealed the name of it at that time or not, and due to having used up all his bandwidth he now only have a 20kb/sec speed internet, which means he is compleatly unable to watch any kind of videos online, so can not check what was said in it... here is the link to the video though... XD ). I asume that a few people took note back then, and came sniffing around CDPR forums (not sure if the CP2077 forum existed back then)... but for the majority of us we compleatly missed it, and we never got this news. I, for example, did not hear about it at that time.

THEN, in early January back in 2013 this teaser trailer was put up on youtube. This is the thing that was partly ment to be a sort of recruitment tool to get in more developers to CDPR for the future. This is probably when most of the big game news sites started to really run with the story as well, so that more people became aware of it. And here is probably also when the second, and probably much bigger, wave of fans came washing in on this forum (since I think it existed by that time). I my self did not see the teaser until a month or two after it had been released (I don't realy read news these days, so it took a bit of time befor my youtube usage finally recommended the video for me... XD ), and then I ended up lurking around here until September the same year befor I finally registered for the forum. XD

Then after that the news has been extreamly scarce, less then crumbs really. 2015 was the year that it then finally again started to roll a bit more. This was, I think atleast, partly due to that TW3 was released. So news sites, and people, started to wonder "So TW3 has been released, what is next for CDPR?", but still almost no information has come out about CP2077 since that started to happen either... but we did see the 3rd wave of new people start to come to this forum at that time.

We are now 1 month away from it being 4 years ago the first time CP2077 was mentnioned, a bit over 3 years ago since the teaser trailer was released, but we still don't really have all that much more new information about the game. There has been like 1 or 2 minor mentionings of the game in the past year or so I think. That is 1 or 2 out of... what... 10 or so mentionings of the game in the past 4 years? XD

We are right now, 4 years after it was first mentioned, still waiting for that first big information dump to come out about the game... because there has not been one yet really. Unless you count the first one, which I don't really do because that more felt like a "this is what we might want to do... but as of just yet we don't really know what it will turn out to be like" kind of a thing.

The "big one" that we are waiting for is the one which says "This is what the game will actually be. And this is roughtly when it will come out."... unfortunatly we have no clue as to when that info dump might come out. It could be this summer telling us that it will be out in 3-4 years... but it could as easily be that we do not get any kind of information about it untill something like the summer of 2019, telling us we will get it in early 2020 or something.

Last edited:
I came here hoping for any updates or news on Cyberpunk 2077 and people are talking about ponies, who/what is Sardukhar and...refering to articles that should never be read.

Aaaaaaaaaand this has what to do with updates and release speculation?

;D

EDIT: All the posts were removed. Now this post makes no sense.

Last edited:
http://kotaku.com/the-people-behind...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

A couple weeks ago, a rare dribble of info about Witcher creator CD Projekt’s next game, Cyberpunk 2077, hit the web. Multiple outlets reported that CDP is not working on the game in earnest, that they have to complete a major dev tool overhaul first. Problem: that’s not how game development works.

As CDP has stated in the past, a large portion of the studio began working on the ambitious open-world game in earnest around the time of The Witcher 3's release. During an interview at a recent Witcher 3: Blood and Wine event in San Francisco, visual effects artist Jose Texiera—the guy who was quoted in the previous round of stories about Cyberpunk—reiterated that to me.

“I mentioned that we were upgrading the engine based on the feedback everybody gave from The Witcher 3,” Texiera said. “We’re upgrading the engine. It’s a pretty thorough upgrade. Almost every aspect of the engine is getting upgraded. My particle effects editor is getting upgraded, as is almost every other tool.”

“But the article that was written online was worded in a slightly click-bait-y type way that made it sound like we haven’t even started really working on Cyberpunk yet,” he added. “I didn’t say that. We’re just upgrading the tools. That’s all I said. That’s something that any company that uses custom software has to do from time-to-time. That’s all.”

Development tool upgrades are actually a pretty regular thing with proprietary engines. The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk both use versions of CD Projekt’s custom REDengine, and CDP’s learned a lot while working on Witcher 3 DLC and Cyberpunk. Naturally, they’re feeding that back into the engine’s capabilities and ease-of-use.

“The engine team took all the feedback, and they’re upgrading it,” said Texiera. “The hope is that it’ll allow us to do a lot more with the same engine. A lot more and faster. It’s still very much an ongoing process, but it’s promising stuff.”

Cyberpunk 2077 doesn’t have an exact release date yet, but there sure has been a lot of speculation about it. All we know for certain is that it won’t be out before 2017. Still, now you know how proprietary engines work, which might come in handy next time somebody tries to tell you that dev tool upgrades will delay a game’s release by a hundred-million years.

good to hear!

Pretty much what I suspected.
Gotta love reporters!
Lawyers ...
IRS agents ...
Wait!
No you don't!

I'd suspect adding the necessary tools to deal with firearms for one, not like they were needed for the Witcher series. Also as you use any game design engine you find things that could be improved upon to make things easier/faster/more efficient. Probably some tweaks to the lighting system as they'll need to deal with neon not just sunlight and candles. Maybe some stuff with the weather system to deal with smog. And if ( and I say IF) they're adding driveable vehicles they'll need to add a lot to the engine to deal with them.

I wonder what cdpr will show at e3, considering that BaW will be released way before it.

The Witcher, again.
Since they have nothing to show about Cyberpunk 2077, probably a lot of things on paper, but nothing more.
Honnestly, the black-out from CDPR may be a very good thing as the best way to shoot themselves in the foot, so who knows.

Im just waiting for the "real" first info on this game to start to talk about it seriously.
3 concepts (which were just re-make of original pnp art anyway, the artists even said "we did it in 3hours") and a trailer that wasn't even a trailer isn't quite a thing actually.

Judging by the embarassed face of the dev when anyone says "Cyberpunk 2077" in front of them, if I put all my hopes aside, I'd say that saddly they don't have much "concrete" things to show right now.

I'd suspect adding the necessary tools to deal with firearms for one, not like they were needed for the Witcher series. Also as you use any game design engine you find things that could be improved upon to make things easier/faster/more efficient. Probably some tweaks to the lighting system as they'll need to deal with neon not just sunlight and candles. Maybe some stuff with the weather system to deal with smog. And if ( and I say IF) they're adding driveable vehicles they'll need to add a lot to the engine to deal with them.

Didn't had they a small team who had to do it for the last 4years or something?
Working on gameplay stuff and upgrading the engine to fit CP77 needs and creating some game concept to finalise the game once Witcher 3 would be released?

Last edited:
Didn't had they a small team who had to do it for the last 4years or something?
Working on gameplay stuff and upgrading the engine to fit CP77 needs and creating some game concept to finalise the game once Witcher 3 would be released?
Usually a bad idea to change development tools in the middle of active game development. You make a mistake you lose hours, days, weeks of development time. You do this stuff between games. However, this has virtually no effect during the design and concept phase because they don't involve large amounts of people.

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukADFPuscG8&list=PLB9B0CA00461BB187&index=53

Last edited:
We need something...a CGI trailer,a screenshot,a piece of concept art ,a time machine so I can go back to September 2015 and bet on Leicester and then to 2018/19/20 to play the game that is Cyberpunk 2077 ....just....anything.

We need something...a CGI trailer,a screenshot,a piece of concept art ,a time machine so I can go back to September 2015 and bet on Leicester and then to 2018/19/20 to play the game that is Cyberpunk 2077 ....just....anything.
yes, we need something snce the fist teaser trailer was out, bu this year is the last year of The Witcher 3, so, hopefully there will be news ass soon as 2017 begns, now the eyes of the world are on the expansion blood and wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom